Author Topic: EDITORIALS: On Ratings  (Read 19016 times)

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
EDITORIALS: On Ratings
« on: October 17, 2007, 07:58:19 AM »
Why review scores are ruining gaming.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/editorialArt.cfm?artid=14623

Today's art world is dominated by merchandising and consumerism; we buy art from the movie theater,  iTunes, and GameStop. Because today's popular art is recordable, and therefore reproducible, it can be sent to as many locations as need demands. This has put a glut of art at our fingertips. No other era can claim to be as drowned in aesthetic objects as our image dominated and Internet-savvy culture. With a wealth of choices, the role of the art critic has been downgraded to that of the art reviewer, and with that comes a multitude of art reviews and art ratings.    

This is a crisis moment for modern art, where the melding of consumerism and artistry has created a group of movie-goers, musicheads, and gamers who believe that art can be rated on an objective scale. The idea of applying ratings to paintings or sculptures (even modern ones) is pretty unthinkable. Though it has taken thousands of years, no one today would question the cultural validity of paintings or sculptures as a medium.    

Video games are subject to the shackles of ratings more so than other arts due to a couple reasons: one is their high cost. A gamer may only be able to purchase one game every paycheck, or every month, and the difference between a 9.0 and a 9.5 suddenly becomes important. Another reason for excessive ratings in the game world is their status as software. Since they are a program that must perform certain functions, problems like a lack of polish in graphical presentation, poorly designed controls, or simple bugs and errors can all be treated as quantifiable leaps that the user should or should not have to make, in the reviewer's mind. Yet when a journalist reviews a game under our current system, he must also attempt to apply numbers to the game's artistry and his overall level of satisfaction, in the hopes of giving a solid purchase recommendation to the video game world.    

Most reviewers would admit to being concerned more with the artistry of a game than with its functionality as software; these two pieces are necessary parts of a review, but by this time in gaming history, functionality should be a non-issue. Slowdown and control glitches will always be with us, but a reviewer must comment on them only insofar as they hinder the experience of playing the game. The game's goals as an aesthetic experience must be paramount in the reviewer's mind.    

Yet numbers dominate our discourse; if a reviewer rates a game lower than his peers, he is seen as having an incorrect position. And though every journalist may strive to write about a game before applying a rating, the overall score that comes at the end of the review can never fully be out of his mind. It is supposed to be a reflection of where he thinks the game falls on a scale of 1 (for terrible) to 10 (for incredible). It can supposedly be compared to his other reviews: if he gave a 9.0 to a game I didn't like, then I have no reason to believe that his 6.0 for a different game is accurate.    

Reviews can never be fully separated from their rating: the philosophy of numerical scales forces reviewers to give reasons why the game is better than an 8.0 but less than a 9.0. Though this may aid the purchase recommendation part of the review, it does little to encourage dialog about a game's actual merits. The score is a straw man to argue against, with the game's aesthetic qualities mere support for why it was deserved.    

Even Roger Ebert (who has no doubt that movies are art and most video games aren't) claims that his stars and his thumb are worth less than his written review, yet he will only put four-star movies on his top ten list each year. Similarly, when the “Game of the Year" hype contests roll around, scores are a main part of the debate. Is it possible for a 9.0 average game to pull ahead of all the 9.5s and 10s to steal the contest? Does anyone truly believe that these year-end lists are anything more than phoned in months in advance?    

Reviews without ratings are less satisfying for readers because they do not supply the tidy summary of a game's worth that is expected under the current conditions. A review without a number cannot be compared to another review instantly, and the reviewer cannot be looked down upon by the public until his words are read. Many reviewers may feel pressure to not give the “wrong" score for a beloved franchise installment, hoping instead to say things that are in line with other reviewers. If he is the standalone aberration on MetaCritic, he will be fighting consensus and dismissed.    

Yet ratings never make sense. The Bit Generations titles are so simple that a rating of 8.5 doesn't mean the same thing as an 8.5 given to a Zelda game; the first may be too high for a simple game, while the second too low for a much more complex game. Does any reviewer honestly look at Tetris and Zelda and say “Zelda is better" as if the two could be compared? When Nintendo releases the next console Zelda or Mario game, is a score of 9.0 going to dissuade you from purchasing it? Do journalists ever give 10s to games outside of established franchises? Even within genres, comparing two very similar games like Okami and Zelda seems fruitless if we must conclude that one is superior over the other. The only comparison that seems appropriate is whether a new Zelda game is as good as the previous ones (in which case I may have to revise my score for Twilight Princess).    

Reviewing a game's graphics, sound, or control too is a nonsensical idea: does a high polygon count within the framework of realism look better than a simple and striking fantasy design? No game is worth less for having blocky graphics if it works in context with the story; not all games can have their graphics measured in the same way.    

Instead of writing about whether a game fulfills my preconceptions for what a good game looks like, sounds like, and plays like, I should be compelled as a reviewer to rate the aesthetic experience I had. Though this is a subjective statement of my opinion, it can be qualified by my appraisal of a game's graphical and aural design, as well as my opinion of how successful the game was at creating a world, delivering a feeling of suspense, showing me beautiful images, giving me a sandbox to play in, telling a story, or whatever else the game may have tried to do. No single philosophy of game design is correct, and with as many artists as there are in the game industry we ought to encourage them to take their individual ideals as far as possible. This is why games like Metal Gear Solid and Super Mario 64 can both be praised for their different visions of what video games can do.    

Removing scores from reviews will not prevent us from discussing games, comparing disparate genres, or discussing objective quality. Instead, it will allow journalists the freedom to examine a game as a holistic and inclusive experience, an exercise that has been constricted for decades by universal participation in scoring. Having to quantify a game's graphics, sound, control, and fun factor are roadblocks to true discussion. The best art you will ever see cannot be summed up in an essay, or a review. To this day people are discussing the aesthetic experience known as Michaelangelo's La Pieta, or Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. As soon as we believe that we can fully know and understand these works of art, we have lost the ability to ever know anything about them. Only in the ongoing discussion of how video games affect us, and what keeps us coming back for more, can we break through the meaningless numbers and make gaming journalism into something more than just software reviews and purchase recommendations.

Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE: EDITORIALS: On Ratings
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 08:23:51 AM »
This is a great read, and a wonderful treatment of a topic that deserves attention. Thank you.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 08:27:28 AM »
The problem with getting rid of review scores is that I don't have the time to read every review to find out what games I might like.  If you've got a job to provide an income to pay for these games odds are you don't either.  The scores are almost like a summary.  You see a list of scores and you get an idea of what reviews to pick out and read in detail.  If I'm interested in a game having that quick score can be a quick comfirmation of my purchase.  Give it a high score I'll buy that game I already want anyway.  Give it something I don't expect I'll read the review to find out why.

This works for movies too.  If I want to see a movie I'll hit up Rotten Tomatoes and look at the average.  If it's high, good.  If it's low then I'm going to start looking further into it.  Sometimes I still see the movie because I find that what the reviewer doesn't like doesn't matter to me.

Sometimes I do get burned by overinflated scores.  I think I'll like the game or movie, see good scores, and then discover I hate the resulting product.  But sometimes I just don't like something that everyone else does.  It's worth the risk.  If I made an effort to read every review in detail for everything it would all become such a pain in the ass that I would ignore reviews completely and then base my decisions on marketing which is not a good way to do it.  We want people to be more informed consumers.  I hate it when a crappy game sells.  I hate it when a crappy movie is number one at the box office.  If we don't have the little "cheat sheet" of scores or star ratings that will become worse.  Reviews need to be mass market friendly and scores help that.

Though I think one problem with games is that they're still treated as disposable.  A movie can flop in theatre and then become a classic on DVD.  Some films and some music albums took decades to be recognized as classics.  That doesn't happen with games.  So many games just disappear if they're not a big hit.  If that didn't happen we wouldn't be worried about review scores potentially hurting a game's success.  If it flops, it's gone forever and that's a different and bigger problem.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
RE:EDITORIALS: On Ratings
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 08:50:40 AM »
Yes, there's obviously business reasons why scores are enforced, and Ebert's been giving out "thumbs up/down" ratings for YEARS because of this. But that's actually a decent compromise: a vague, almost emotional review system not based on numbers, but appealing to our emotional intelligence to understand what to expect out of the game. We don't need to know if a game is 7.6 or 8.3, we need to know if a game is bad, mediocre, decent, good, or great.

If we can never escape review scores completely outside of academia due to these real world pressures, I still say a good compromise would be to rate things on a vague emotional scale, the way the SF Chronicle does it: with a chair showing a person paying attention, clapping, sleeping, jumping for joy, or missing altogether.

Offline Dryden

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 08:56:34 AM »
A wonderful editorial, and I mostly agree.
I've never understood why popular media such as music, TV and movies are ranked on scales up to 4 or 5 (not including point fives), and yet video games are largely based on a hundred point score.

I see an incredible value in a simple ratings system - only four-star movies should make it on Roger Ebert's top ten list, right?  Otherwise, the ratings are pointless.  But video game ratings are ridiculous.  Ever go to University?  Papers aren't graded out of a hundred, they're given a set of five letters with +/- modifiers.  Why not use that system?  Why not use the four star system that movies use, with "point fives" being granted to games that don't quite excel enough to make it into the next tier?

IGN is perhaps the worst for this, giving new ratings to games on the Wii's Virtual Console Service, games that have been around for as much as 25 years.  Thank goodness NWR chose a three tiered format for those, as opposed to an arbitary and dated scale.

I'm happy if I agree that Zelda deserves an "A".  Minus or Plus, I know that it's clearly reviewer opinion.  And that I can read about.
Brawl FC: TONX, 2964 - 8248 - 7611  -  PM if you add me.  Calgary, AB!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 09:01:06 AM »
Nintendo Power actually used to rate on a 5.0 scale with .5 increments... back when... back when... /cry

Offline Dryden

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 09:04:26 AM »
I think a much better indicator is if a game lives up to the expectations put onto it - for Nintendo more than anyone.  Does Smash Bros Brawl disappoint after the blitz of information?  How about Mario?  For new franchises, does it deliver everything you'd expect from the genre?  Does it exceed or disappoint?

I think a simple, school-like grade, A through F, next to an indication of whether the game lives up to the media surrounding it, would be plenty for me.
Brawl FC: TONX, 2964 - 8248 - 7611  -  PM if you add me.  Calgary, AB!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 09:09:35 AM »
Lordy, you use a lot of big words.  

I agree with you for the most part.  As Ian said, there needs to be some sort of executive summary for every review (even if it's just a few numbers written next to words like Gameplay and Lastability).  However, the current system is completely broke (as we've previously discussed in this thread).

As I've said before, I'm in favor of dropping the number from the score and replacing it with a descriptive word.  Sticking with your phrasing of "a scale of 1 (for terrible) to 10 (for incredible)" why can't you just review a game as being terrible or incredible?  Rather than use a system where half the scale is practically unusable (or you get blasted by readers if you do use it) use one that doesn't have the same negative stigmas associated with the lower half of it.  Use ratings such as Bad, Mediocre, Good, Great, & Excellent to assign a worth to a game.  It leaves a lot of interpretation up to the reader.

If I'm trying to turn these words into numerical scores in my head, I might assign a Great score as somewhere between 7.5 - 9.0.  It will likely be completely different for someone else.  It also depends a lot on the game and on how much I enjoy the genre.  I'm going to be interested in pretty much any action-adventure game that scores at least a Good but a first-person shooter would need to be Excellent to get my attention.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 09:16:50 AM »

Originally posted by: Dryden
Ever go to University?  Papers aren't graded out of a hundred, they're given a set of five letters with +/- modifiers.  Why not use that system?
I couldn't disagree with this more.  The problem is that most gamers (and most reviewers) don't pay much attention to games assigned less than 80/100 because they consider these games as bad.  Most websites really only use 20% of the reviewing scale for any halfway decent game.  The reason for this is because anything less than 80/100 is considered to be a C and therefore Average.  If you start using the A-B-C-D-F scale it will only increase this notion and we'll never see anything below a B- except for licensed games on GBA and anything on a Nintendo console at 1up.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline shammack

• "This space intentionally left blank."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 09:21:43 AM »
I think any kind of quantitative summary, even if it's dressed up in something other than numbers, is doing readers a disservice.  Even if they do read the whole review -- which a lot of 'em won't -- for most people, that rating is going to be the last word in making their decision, and everything you wrote in the main review will have little impact in comparison.  I don't think they should have that crutch.  A review should give you the relevant information about the game and the reviewer's opinions about it, and you draw your own conclusions about whether it sounds like something that interests you.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 09:21:53 AM »
Yeah, while the A, B, C, D, F system appears quite feasible, it's tied too strongly to the 100 point scale for it to be an ideal solution.

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 09:30:20 AM »
I like the idea of assigning word-grades to titles, like some suggested above.  What Kairon suggested reminded me of a Gaming mag I used to read back in the day (Next-Gen maybe?), where reviews were summed up with a picture of a face, and depending on the expression on the face, you would get the general idea of the review.

So is this editorial (yay, an editorial!) an indication that NWR will be changing its review system?
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline roger6106

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 09:48:23 AM »
I agree with the "Bad, Mediocre, Good, Great, & Excellent" rating system that vudu suggested. I think it would be great to switch the rating system even though it would take a little to get used to.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 09:55:01 AM »
For reference, here are the pictures that accompany each SF Chronicle Movie Review:

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 10:11:14 AM »
Yay, Evan brings the editorial back to NWR!

Evan, is this why you didn't post your Prime 3 review? You didn't want to assign it a number?

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 10:24:59 AM »
I think the VC rating system (Recommended for everyone, Recommended for fans, Not recommended) should be applied to all of your reviews. And everyone else's. It's perfect, really.

And Evan I love you.  

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 10:27:42 AM »
I really don't like those pictures.  The first two seem near identical to me.  The last two both suggest a bad movie and the middle still suggests a good movie since the guy seems pleased to be watching.

I think proposed rating systems tend to reflect the attitude of the individual suggesting them.  Some people seem to give everything a chance so they suggest a system that emphasizes postives and makes bad ratings rare.  Some people are more selective are are going to want to seperate the cream of the crop from everything else.  Who has time for okay?  And some are going to be in the middle.

For movies a popular rating I would give out with be "just a movie".  Like there's no harm in watching it but if you never did it doesn't matter and while it didn't suck you didn't really like it or wouldn't recommend it either.  Does "just a game" make a good rating.  Considering the higher cost I think "just a game" is worse than "just a movie".

It often seems that those that complain about the rating system do so because of some very average game that they for some reason like and others didn't buy.  It's like when people talk about underrated games and then just pour over some game that at face value is really "just a game" in that it does things competently but really isn't anything exceptional.  There seems to be an attitude that not showing interest in the average is somehow bad.  Well most of us only have so much time and so much money so our priorities are going to be more on the better stuff.  Why spend time with what's okay when there isn't even enough time for what's exceptional?  If there are only so many job positions I'm going to hire the exceptional people, even if perfectly okay people are available.  Gaming is a business.  It's a competition.  As gamers it isn't our duty to give everyone a pat on the back for effort.  Not all games are equal and if great games are being made it's not unfair for them to get more attention then decent ones.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 10:39:11 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I really don't like those pictures.  The first two seem near identical to me.  The last two both suggest a bad movie and the middle still suggests a good movie since the guy seems pleased to be watching.

For movies a popular rating I would give out with be "just a movie".  Like there's no harm in watching it but if you never did it doesn't matter and while it didn't suck you didn't really like it or wouldn't recommend it either.  Does "just a game" make a good rating.  Considering the higher cost I think "just a game" is worse than "just a movie".

But that's exactly the beauty of the scale Ian. YOU decide how good each category seems to you. You think the middle picture means the movie is still worth watching, but I think that the middle picture represents a movie that I'd MUCH rather avoid. It works on you emotionally: would you mind watching a movie that is more or less just another movie? Or do you set the bar at clapping?

This review scale leaves it to the READER to emotionally assign their own labels, free of percentage points or perceived levels of average. Place a 5.0 on a game and it automatically places judgement. Place a man sitting not particularly caught by what he's watching and the reader has leeway to make their own judgements, which is to say, to join the debate on the title's quality.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 11:01:02 AM »
"But that's exactly the beauty of the scale Ian. YOU decide how good each category seems to you. You think the middle picture means the movie is still worth watching, but I think that the middle picture represents a movie that I'd MUCH rather avoid. It works on you emotionally: would you mind watching a movie that is more or less just another movie? Or do you set the bar at clapping?"

The problem is the way I interpret those pictures I feel there are pictures missing.  It's too black or white to me.  Now admitingly after using this for a while I would probably just associate certain pictures a certain way.  But will reviewers do this?  Bob Jones' middle picture review might suggest the film is okay and worth watching while Mike Smith's middle picture review might suggest the filme is okay but not worth watching.

I have pretty much no issue with review scores but rather just inconsistency.  Too often some reviewer suddenly decides a 6 is average when everyone else considers it crap and now I'm lost.  Typically it's those calling for a new review standard who have been causing confusion by suddenly deciding to give good games 7's and going against the grain.  Really it doesn't matter what you use provided it's consistent.  I never had any problems until someone decided that not enough games were getting 4's and starting using 5 as the average point, thus f*cking everyone else up who used something more like school percentages where it doens't matter really what you get below 5, you still f*cking failed.  The problem isn't that 1-5 aren't using enough in the 10 point scale but rather that we now seem to have two groups using the 10 point scale differently.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 11:23:08 AM »
If reviews are numerical, I think there should always be a "Tilt Factor" or "X-Factor" similar to what GameSpot has, except they implement it quite poorly. Reviewing games (like nearly anything else) is an evaluation of both the technical and intangible parts of them. The technical aspects include the graphics (framerate, polygons etc), quality of audio, measurable aspects of gameplay (number of hours, variety of challenges etc) and the like. On the other hand, the subjective aspects include art style, music, and how enjoyable in general the reviewer finds the game.

But the most important of these subjectives (and the one that causes the most discussion) is how much fun the game is. I find that this aspect is the one that's the most under-represented, as most reviewers try to force it into the Gameplay section, which is too all-encompassing. That's why a game that is greater than the sum of its parts (see WiiSports, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat) is rated so low by so many media outlets. Which is a damn shame, because Jungle Beat was probably the most pure fun I've had playing a game last generation.

Most reviews aren't a weighted average of their categories, and the final score is supposed to account for this tilt factor. But sadly, it's not usually the case, since reviewers are afraid of giving a considerably higher score to games when the scores in all the categories are relatively lower.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
No real additional words of wisdom to add to the discussion, but I've also been disappointed by most current gaming rating systems, and it's been complicated all the more with the Wii.

Of course, "Wii Sports" games shouldn't be compared to Zelda. But going further than that, one of the main reasons why gaming hasn't gotten more credibility in the mainstream press is because it is like reading a foreign language.

A proper amount of attention should be attributed to a game's visual style and graphics, but when so many review sources go into the territory of frames per second, textures, lighting, etc, you lose 95% of the mainstream readers. *We* know they're trying to be helpful, but average people don't know what the hell they are talking about.

These gaming sources have tried so hard to be "credible" over the years that they've lost touch with the average readers, and it has grown to be common practice to discuss all the technical mumbo-jumbo without second thought.

Video games are no longer an enthusiast niche market. They're mainstream. Reviewers should start considering that. There is a market for the techno-babble, but it is the 10% enthusiast crowd. (I'm pulling that % out of my ass, but you get the idea.)

I don't need a paragraph about textures and crap like that. I can look at screenshots and decide whether I like the visuals or not.

Furthermore, other forms of media also pretty much only get ONE overall rating. Movies don't get separate ratings for acting, special effects, directing, soundtrack, stage sets, etc. That would just be silly.

...as silly as it is becoming with video games.

Is the game FUN or not?

I’ll join the chorus in saying they need to make it simple. Whatever that means, I don't know. Some kind of emotional stamp could be a good idea.  
"wow."

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2007, 11:51:12 AM »
"These gaming sources have tried so hard to be 'credible' over the years that they've lost touch with the average readers, and it has grown to be common practice to discuss all the technical mumbo-jumbo without second thought."

Reminds me of music reviews.  Ever try to read those?  F*ck, they're just full of vague adjectives that mean nothing.

One thing though is that even if games are mainstream the audience of the review might not be and probably shouldn't be.  Not every review should be written for everyone.  WiiSports' target demo isn't IGN readers.  It makes more sense for IGN's reviews to be based on the tastes of IGN readers.  WiiSports' score being controversial has more to do with whole non-games vs. games debate that exists within IGN's target readership.  Non-games are going to get all sorts of varied scores due to the varied opinions of those reviewing them.  Just like how not everyone agrees about then on this forum, not all reviewers on gamer focused sites agree about them.

IGN shouldn't make reviews for the mainstream because the site isn't for the mainstream.  We can b!tch about them all we want but they are targetted at the gamer subculture.  Maybe they can't cover all the little fanbases within the gaming subculture but IGN and Gamespot and all those sites and mags like EGM or Gamepro are not for grandma.  The readership is gamers and the reviews should be made for that audience.  Otherwise it would be like a Heavy Metal magainze crapping on an album because it's too loud and is the devil's music.  Change IGN's reviews to reflect the mainstream and Metroid Prime 3 gets crapped on for being too complicated.  Having a specific audience is very important.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2007, 12:27:45 PM »
7.0 - Dragon Blade

7.5 - Zelda PH

GOTTA LOVE THAT 0.5 INCREMENT
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2007, 12:50:27 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
The problem is the way I interpret those pictures I feel there are pictures missing.  It's too black or white to me.  Now admitingly after using this for a while I would probably just associate certain pictures a certain way.  But will reviewers do this?  Bob Jones' middle picture review might suggest the film is okay and worth watching while Mike Smith's middle picture review might suggest the filme is okay but not worth watching.

I have pretty much no issue with review scores but rather just inconsistency.  Too often some reviewer suddenly decides a 6 is average when everyone else considers it crap and now I'm lost.  Typically it's those calling for a new review standard who have been causing confusion by suddenly deciding to give good games 7's and going against the grain.  Really it doesn't matter what you use provided it's consistent.  I never had any problems until someone decided that not enough games were getting 4's and starting using 5 as the average point, thus f*cking everyone else up who used something more like school percentages where it doens't matter really what you get below 5, you still f*cking failed.  The problem isn't that 1-5 aren't using enough in the 10 point scale but rather that we now seem to have two groups using the 10 point scale differently.

Well then this problem will NEVER be fixed because reviews are totally subjective Ian. I mean... you'll just have to read thye whole review if you're gonna be that hardcore about details, everyone else can just look at the picture and use a quick emotional judgement to orient themselves.

Rating systems SHOULD NOT REPLACE READING THE REVIEW. They are, in and of themselves, a different way of delivering information. They're actually emotional touchpoints: part summary, part recommendation, and especially effective when, in the SF Chronicle's case, the rating system is visual, emotional, and conveys more information than a number conveys.

Of course, it'd still be great if we didn't need rating systems because everyone read the review's text and all other reviews on the subject and could therefore join the discourse freely and preparedly over the quality of the subject but... heck, even I don't do that a lot of the time!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2007, 01:04:13 PM »
To me, all I want to know is, should I buy this game?  A simple question, but you can break it down into meaningful levels like this:

Everyone must own this game, period.
Everyone that likes this genre must own this game.
If you like this genre, you should rent it because you'll probably like it.
If you like this genre, there's better stuff out there.
Even if you like this genre, don't bother.
Nobody should buy this, it's crap.

Just off the top of my head, but you can see where I'm going.  The overall "score" reflects the criteria upon which people base their buying decisions.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog