Author Topic: Game Boy Titles Confirmed for North American and European eShop  (Read 12494 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Game Boy Titles Confirmed for North American and European eShop
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 03:09:32 PM »
Let's just clear the air now.  Pokemon is never coming to the Virtual Console.  It would cannibalize shares

Why not?  It's not like Pokemon Red/Blue is currently available.  It would give Nintendo the chance to sell those exact same games yet again.  Gold/Silver would be different though since they just remade it.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 03:16:01 PM »
Let's just clear the air now.  Pokemon is never coming to the Virtual Console.  It would cannibalize shares

Why not?  It's not like Pokemon Red/Blue is currently available.  It would give Nintendo the chance to sell those exact same games yet again.  Gold/Silver would be different though since they just remade it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_FireRed_and_LeafGreen
Because they have already done that with them once.

I mean Pokemon has essentially been more or less the same game for years.  With the wildest departure being a while ago.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 03:38:05 PM »
It would be interesting to see how the many editions of Street Fighter II or the Wonder Boy games did.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 03:43:46 PM »
It would be interesting to see how the many editions of Street Fighter II or the Wonder Boy games did.
From a Quick search and these are just the Sub-Title Changes one not the different platforms.

* Street Fighter II
* Street Fighter II The World Warrior
* Street Fighter II: Champion Edition
* Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting
* Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
* Super Street Fighter II Turbo
* Hyper Street Fighter II
* Super Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition
* Super Street Fighter II HD Remix

Platforms: Arcade, Super NES, Mega Drive/Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, Amiga, Atari ST, Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum, PC, 3DO, Sharp X68000, FM Towns Marty, Master System, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, PlayStation, Sega Saturn, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 2, Xbox, Java ME, Xbox 360 (XBLA), Virtual Console (Wii)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 04:27:44 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 04:19:37 PM »
People are shocked that GB games are 3-4 dollars, yet Donkey Kong Jr. Math is $5 on Wii VC?

Good or bad, the pricing is in line with their Wii VC stuff.

What upsets me the most is Nintendo still forcing you to buy more points then you need for a game. Then again Microsoft isn't much better when it comes to that.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 04:55:33 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 04:48:14 PM »
The $x.99 pricing is going to bug the you-know-what out of me.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2011, 04:54:59 PM »

Yeah, I know what you mean. You get a points card for say $50 and every time you buy something there's a cent left over that you just can't get rid of.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2011, 04:57:43 PM »
Yeah, I know what you mean. You get a points card for say $50 and every time you buy something there's a cent left over that you just can't get rid of.
Honestly in this day and age down with the .99 and up with the $1.  Also the .009 on gas is silly as well.  Change is barely worth keep anymore hence the round-up with checking.  I personally think are economy needs to deflate a bit.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2011, 05:03:26 PM »
Yeah, I was reading on some site about the penny and how there's a movement to get rid of it because it costs more to make than what its worth and it actually costs the economy more due to the time it takes to count it and stuff.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2011, 05:05:30 PM »
Yeah, I was reading on some site about the penny and how there's a movement to get rid of it because it costs more to make than what its worth and it actually costs the economy more due to the time it takes to count it and stuff.
Sears doesn't buy Dimes because it cost more to get the dimes then it is to just use 2 nickles.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2011, 05:17:56 PM »

The fact that you have to buy points in fixed amounts is fucking ridiculous to begin with.  I myself have two bucks in my Wii account that drives me nuts.  I'm not dumb.  I know they want you to always have change so you have to buy MORE to make use of those points and then the math won't work again so you'll have like a buck left over and have to do it multiple times until you finally have a 0 balance.  Now with .99, they're just fucking us.  That's deliberate.  A brick and mortar store wouldn't last a week if they forced you to pay in intervals of $10.

Regarding pennies, how do you get rid of them when sales tax usually results in goofy cents?  Unless you like in Oregon nothing is $1.00, it's $1.06 or something goofy like that.  You take away the penny and then what?  Stores have to shift prices so that with tax it works in intervals of 5 cents?  We just get dinged the extra cents each time?  There has to be some sort of minimum unit of currency and, yeah, on its own it's going to be nearly worthless but it has to exist.  So you ditch pennies and then in 20 years everyone is complaining about how worthless nickels are.  You have to take a stand at some point.

And if pennies cost more then 1 cent to produce, then the government should be smart enough to be manufacturing some other form of currency for less then value to balance it out.  I imagine 1 and 20 dollar bills probably cost the same to make so they should be coming out ahead.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2011, 05:31:40 PM »
Another case of Nintendo ignoring the competition? I think they are pushing sensibilities with the current Virtual Console and 3D Classic prices. I also think it's weird that I'm disappointed over the difference of one or two dollars in pricing.

Yeah, it looks like they looked at the Apple model and just said "screw that."  And though I previously had committed myself to getting Alleyway, I had thought that when I naively assumed it would be 2 bucks.  But 2.99?  Makes no sense, I know, but I'm now going to pass on that, I think.

I'm intrigued by the 3D classics, and may be willing to pay $6 for those.  Maybe. 

But I'm just waiting for GBA VC's.  I know they haven't announced that, but they haven't ruled it out, and even if they charge maybe $10 or $12 a piece for those, I will go crazy with my credit card when that happens.  Fusion?  Zero Mission?  Advance Wars Black Hole Rising?  And think of all the Japanese imports that we might get.  How crazy, no, awesome would it be if we got Mother 3 that way?  That's how we got the original Sin and Punishment. 
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2011, 05:34:58 PM »
Pennies used to be pure copper but in 1982 they became mostly Zinc with just copper plating in order to bring the manufacturing costs down, but now due to inflation its a problem once again. It would help to change the formula of pennies yet again and make them out of a cheaper metal like steel (which they were made out of during WW2) or aluminum or something, but that's only a temporary solution because inflation is perpetual so no matter what you make them out of eventually the value of the penny will drop below the material being used.

Eliminating the Penny would not be without precedent. I know Japan used to have a unit of currency called Rin which was like a 10th of a Yen or something, but after WW2 Japan suffered massive inflation and the Rin was dropped. As a matter of fact, if you look at the Yen it takes thousands of them just to equal a few dollars of U.S. currency, so at some point Japan may want to consider dropping that too. Other countries have also dropped denominations of currency due to the value being almost worthless. You can draw a line wherever you want, but eventually inflation will encroach on it. If 20 years later Nickels are as worthless as pennies are now then maybe they should be dropped too. Inflation isn't a cool thing, but its a reality and just ignoring it and pretending it doesn't exist doesn't do you any good. If inflation can't be halted then the currency needs to keep being updated to keep pace.
is your sanity...

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2011, 05:36:32 PM »
Regarding pennies, how do you get rid of them when sales tax usually results in goofy cents?

That brings up an interesting point.  Are we going to get charged sales tax for eShop purchases?  Because as it stands now, I don't pay sales tax when I buy Nintendo points through my Wii, though you would obviously pay sales tax if you bought a points card from a brick and mortar.  We've got nearly 10% sales tax here in California, so I appreciate the savings (Okay, I know that you're supposed to pay that at the end of the year or something, but seriously, who does that?)

[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2011, 05:41:20 PM »
Regarding pennies, how do you get rid of them when sales tax usually results in goofy cents?

That brings up an interesting point.  Are we going to get charged sales tax for eShop purchases?  Because as it stands now, I don't pay sales tax when I buy Nintendo points through my Wii, though you would obviously pay sales tax if you bought a points card from a brick and mortar.  We've got nearly 10% sales tax here in California, so I appreciate the savings (Okay, I know that you're supposed to pay that at the end of the year or something, but seriously, who does that?)
Law makers where lamenting over that in TN lately.  Its called a Use Tax if memory serves.  Another fun one is if you pay 6% sales tax on something while in another state officially your suppose to pay the other 3.75% to the TN when you come back (Sales Tax is 9.75% in my home county.)  Amazon  wants to put some distribution centers here and their is another law that if you have servers or anything else that is part of your online business here in TN then you have to do Sales Tax.  Amazon will have none of that.

Its a messy area to say the least.  Its like how do you fund roads if everyone drives electric cars?

Hopefully Nintendo will put in the structure to easily do it later if needed.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2011, 06:46:38 PM »
Regarding pennies, how do you get rid of them when sales tax usually results in goofy cents?  Unless you like in Oregon nothing is $1.00, it's $1.06 or something goofy like that.

I've been hoping that sales tax would just be included in the advertised price.

If you want to sell it for $1.00, then the actual cost would be $0.91 and the tax (9.25% here) would be added in for a total of $1.00.

But you are right, if we start rounding it out now, we are being charged a few extra cents here and a few extra cents there and all those cents add up over time. It's either gonna come out of my pocket or it's gonna come out of theirs and since I'm the one buying.... I think we all know who's pocket it would come out of.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2011, 07:34:45 PM »
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that e-shop games will vary in price. AlleyWay $2, Mario Land $5, etc etc.

Alleyway does NOT hold up at all, so it has to be dirt cheap to be worthwhile because its so basic

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2011, 08:38:06 PM »
Seriously, folks - the Game and Watch 'ports' on DSiWare are $2 each - did anyone really, really, really think Nintendo was going to sell Game Boy games at that price - or cheaper?
Do I think they should? Yes. Did I think they would? No.