Author Topic: Donkey Kong instead of Mario?  (Read 10757 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Donkey Kong instead of Mario?
« on: October 11, 2005, 06:14:47 AM »
I was thinking about launch titles for Nintendo Revolution and I think a new Super Mario is unlikely, because it sounds like Miyamoto still doesn't have a solid direction for the title. What if Donkey Kong stepped up instead? Tokyo EAD who worked on Donkey Kong Jungle Beat could be working on a DK launch game right now. If they were, there's no doubt it would be a fantastic game, but i'm thinking about the selling power as a launch mascot.

Donkey Kong is a lot more... "mature" than Mario, yet he still has the same mainstream appeal. He hasn't really been in the mainstream limelight at all recently since Donkey Kong Country, Jungle Beat and Konga were ignored because they were on GameCube and had fancy accessories holding them back, DK64 was pretty popular, but not enough. Thus it would be seen as a nice "comeback" of a classic gaming icon.

I think if they could make a Donkey Kong game for launch, which is accessable, and achieves the excellent "simple controls / complex gameplay" that Jungle Beat accomplished, it would be absolutely huge and the perfect thing to kick off the Revolutions image.

(Mario would also still be there, in Super Smash Bros 3.)

Also, gameplay possibilities! Tokyo EAD did an amazing job with just two buttons on the bongos, imagine what they could pull off with the Revolutoin controller? I just thought about it and my head exploded, this could be the greatest game ever.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Donkey Kong instead of Mario?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 07:10:52 AM »
Even though he came first, Donkey Kong doesn't have nearly the amount of mainstream as you think he does...I still come across people who are all "Who is that big monkey?" when playing Mario Party or some other game that includes him...

Not to say I don't want the game (which I really, REALLY do), but I'm sure Tokyo EAD is hard at work trying to make Donkey Kong Rev even better than Jungle Beat, and I don't see them coming out with the game within the launch window of the console, even less seeing them use it as a replacement for Mario...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Donkey Kong instead of Mario?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 07:31:09 AM »
Iwata said that hes pushing Miyamato to have Mario done by launch, so I think we might actually get online smash and mario at the same time.  Those two titles alone would make an awesome launch provided that they have a few third party games.  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 08:13:56 AM »
You're thinking too much in terms of franchises.  Mario himself isn't needed for launch.  A major killer launch game is what's needed.  Mario just has a very good track record of killer apps so that's why most of us are calling for a Rev Mario launch title.  What we're really asking for though is a killer Miyamoto launch title.  Mario's just the tool for his creativity.

Donkey Kong will work fine if there's a must-own game made with the franchise (like DKC way back when).  But just Donkey Kong the franchise won't mean squat just like the Mario the franchise wouldn't mean squat if it wasn't attached to a killer game.  Luigi's Mansion technically was the Mario franchise.  It just wasn't an effective flagship title because it was short.

Nintendo could launch with a totally brand new franchise and it would probably be an effective flagship title provided the game itself was an easy GOTY contender, showed off the Rev concepts well, and was marketed well.  The important thing is to have a must-own launch title that is marketed good enough that people actually know it's a must-own.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 08:43:54 AM »
I agree with ian. But I think it deffinatley needs to be a GOOD mario game also, mario is Nintendos mascot after all not just thier most popular character, DK is cool and all but not thier mascot, a COOL Dk game shortly after launch maybe woud be cool but Mario and Smash bros neads to be the main focus
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 09:33:03 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
But just Donkey Kong the franchise won't mean squat just like the Mario the franchise wouldn't mean squat if it wasn't attached to a killer game.

Believe me, I have full confidence that Donkey Kong Rev will be a fantastic game...

Offline foolish03

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 09:45:53 AM »
I think metroid Revolution would be the perfect flag ship title.  It could utilize all aspects of the controller.  They already demonstrated a clever and intuitive control mechanic in the tech demo earlier. Im not sure they could pull it off in time though.  They need as much time as they can get to work on MP and i dont want them rushing crap out.
"If you can read these letters, Your waisting your time..."
---------------------------------------

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 10:34:15 AM »
i thought that Retro had stated that MP3 was going to take full advantage of the controller. (this was around E3). I think the MP2 demo that they used to demonstrate the controller's abilities was merely thrown together because ninty wont let retro show the real game.
I'll shut up now...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 02:46:29 PM »
Ian I have always completely disagreed with you on this point.

Killer Apps do not have to be franchise games, but often times they ARE franchise games.  

SNES opened up with Super Mario World a franchise sequel that showed the world what next generation gaming should be.

Nintendo 64 opened the world to new ideas and concepts with a franchise game Mario 64.

Nintendo is correct to go with franchise games to launch the Revolution, because people are comfortable with games and characters they know.  

Revolution Mario will introduce the world to a new way to play games, and it will be huge and it will be more successful as Mario doing this, than say a new IP unknown showing us the new light.

Classic loved characters always do well.

Nintendo will launch with a launch list that combines the fimilar with the unknown and that is the safest bet.

Mario
Metroid
Smash Brothers (note pretty much every popular Nintendo character)

Donkey Kong is becoming a concept tester character.  He is being used greatly to create new types of games with a character we are fimilar enough to try the game out with...but not an A++ character so that Nintendo doesn't risk tarnishing the name of the classics.

I love Donkey Kong and I can't wait to see what Nintendo does with him in the future, but launch game he won't be.

Question though:  What ever happened to Kirby for the Gamecube?  Could this game be revamped for the Revolution launch?  We do know Hal Labs loves to experiment with new game concepts, and this game could be pushed back to take advantage of the new controller and create an interesting platformer.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 02:52:46 PM »
Donkey Kong hasn't been proven to be good yet in 3D. too risky.. too risky..
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 03:07:53 PM »
Please, ladies, no need to fight.  They can all be launch titles.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 03:59:34 PM »

Originally posted by: MJRx9000

Who said anything about 3D?  I want another 2D Jungle Beat-ish title...

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 03:59:42 PM »

Eh? What about DK 64? That was at least acceptable, I think...
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 04:25:34 PM »
DK hasn't had an epic in awhile. Throw Kirby into the Beat games. We don't.. need him anymore.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 05:17:16 PM »

Originally posted by: Sir_Stabbalot

Eh? What about DK 64? That was at least acceptable, I think...

even though DK 64 was rendered in 3D, it was still a 2D game because you could not move on the z axis

edit: never mind, I can be a real spaz sometimes, I was thinking about DKC for some reason, sorry
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2005, 05:38:02 PM »
Like Bill said, nobody said anything about 3D.

Ian, you're right the game has to be of exceptional quality for it to even matter, while killer apps have selling power on their own, when attached to the right franchise it can have even bigger results. I don't think Mario Kart would have been so huge if it was Joe Kart. Let's just say for this case Mario 128 and Donkey Kong will both be of the same quality as a game. The point i'm trying to make is that Donkey Kong might make more of an impact Mario would. A few years ago I was excited that Nintendo hadn't released any Donkey Kong games in while, then they ruined it with the DKC GBA ports and Konga, but in general he's still been out of the limelight so it would be something new to most people as opposed to "another Mario". They could avoid the "just another Mario game" label by making that Mario game so unbelievably good, but i'm just thinking about DK at the moment, he came to me in a dream!

Even though he came first, Donkey Kong doesn't have nearly the amount of mainstream as you think he does...I still come across people who are all "Who is that big monkey?" when playing Mario Party or some other game that includes him...

Lies! He's Donkey Kong! DONKEY KONG!

Originally posted by: kirby_killer_dedede
Please, ladies, no need to fight.  They can all be launch titles.

They can't all be because they'd eat into each others sales and there's always shortages at launch.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2005, 06:03:19 PM »

DK hasn't had an epic in awhile. Throw Kirby into the Beat games. We don't.. need him anymore.

Bull!  Jungle Beat is far more epic than any other game DK has been in! >=O

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2005, 06:07:25 PM »
I think fun is a more appropriate word to describe it!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2005, 06:32:44 PM »
"They can't all be because they'd eat into each others sales"

Who cares?  There's only going to be like ten games on the console period at launch.  I think it's more important to have a good launch lineup.  I just want options and variety.  What difference do sales make to me or any Rev owner?  Anything to do with sales or profits don't mean sh!t to anyone who isn't a Nintendo shareholder so it's a lame excuse particularly when the competition never uses it.

One problem with Donkey Kong right now is that like Star Fox it's kind of in limbo.  What is Donkey Kong right now?  Is it a platformer?  A rhythm game?  Which developer is it "assigned" to?  Before it was Rare's assignment and we had an idea what to expect.  I think first Nintendo has to establish what Donkey Kong is so that people don't expect DKC and get some bongo game instead.

And I'll say now that another Jungle Beat would be a poor choice for a flagship title.  It's a little too quirky.  I think a platformer would have more general appeal and would probably make for a longer game which is important for a launch title.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2005, 06:35:43 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
One problem with Donkey Kong right now is that like Star Fox it's kind of in limbo.  What is Donkey Kong right now?  Is it a platformer?  A rhythm game?  Which developer is it "assigned" to?  Before it was Rare's assignment and we had an idea what to expect.  I think first Nintendo has to establish what Donkey Kong is so that people don't expect DKC and get some bongo game instead.

Eh?  Just because there's a spinoff the series is in limbo?  Is Mario in limbo because there are Mario spinoffs?  No way...The main Donkey Kong games are now in the capable hands of EAD's Tokyo branch...

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2005, 06:37:42 PM »
Is Jungle Beat a spinoff or is that a "real" Donkey Kong game?  We didn't get a traditional Donkey Kong on the Cube so it's hard to say.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2005, 06:39:39 PM »
Jungle Beat is most definitely a real Donkey Kong game, and it's the most fun in the series to boot...Just because a game in a series is vastly different doesn't put it in a different category...Like look back to the 64 era...Would you say that Mario 64 is a spinoff because it isn't a "traditional 2D platformer"?  I doubt it...

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2005, 06:44:24 PM »
Hard to say, does Donkey Kong have a set formula? There's a few different ways Donkey Kong plays, there's the classic Donkey Kong arcade style, which was sort of represented in Mario VS Donkey Kong too. There's Donkey Kong Country style, which is basically a platformer, and now all these new games. Konga was just a game with Donkey Kong slapped in it because he went well with the theme. Jungle Beat certainly seemed like a proper Donkey Kong game to me, and I hope the series follows the path it set, at least gameplay wise.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2005, 07:37:09 PM »
Is DK64 a real DK game?  Would you all like DK to return to that kind of game?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline MrMojoRising

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2005, 12:47:46 AM »
I agree with Ian DK is totally in limbo right now...we don't really know what the next DK game is going to be like.  I hope they follow along the lines of Jungle beat though as well, that's a good direction.  I don't mind DK having the spin-offs with the konga games and such, but I would like to know if Jungle beat was just another spin-off or if that's the face of Donkey Kong from now on.