Author Topic: Achievements  (Read 5962 times)

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Achievements
« on: August 13, 2008, 05:19:53 PM »
I don't have a 360, but the idea of achievements intrigues me. Because I have never actually gotten an achievement in a video game, I was hoping some of you could help me answer some questions. (I'm looking to do something fun with the concept. ;))

1. Can any of you point me to any high-quality videos or pics that show what an achievement "does" when you get one - what it looks like, sounds it makes (is it different for each game?), visual effects (does it fade in/fade out, for example), etc.?

2. What are some of the most common, famous, weirdest, hardest/easiest to get, most frustrating, etc.? (Doesn't matter which game.)

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Clarification – I am specifically looking at Xbox 360 Achievements here.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 06:10:17 PM by decoyman »
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Achievements
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 05:22:34 PM »

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 05:25:07 PM »
Megaman 9 looks like it'll have some of the most ridiculous achievements ever..."Beat the game 5 times in one day"?  Come on!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 05:36:56 PM »
I just saw one the other day for a Simpsons game on the 360... it was, "Press the Start button."

:D
Twitter

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 05:43:56 PM »
Because I have never actually gotten an achievement in a video game, I was hoping some of you could help me answer some questions. (I'm looking to do something fun with the concept. ;))

Since it seems like you haven't played Metroid Prime 3, I think your time would be better spent with that game.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 06:09:28 PM »
Because I have never actually gotten an achievement in a video game, I was hoping some of you could help me answer some questions. (I'm looking to do something fun with the concept. ;))

Since it seems like you haven't played Metroid Prime 3, I think your time would be better spent with that game.

Well, I HAVE played a little bit of Prime 3...  But I should've specified, Xbox 360 Achievements here.  ;)
Twitter

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 06:44:15 PM »
I don't have a 360, but the idea of achievements intrigues me. Because I have never actually gotten an achievement in a video game, I was hoping some of you could help me answer some questions. (I'm looking to do something fun with the concept. ;))

1. Can any of you point me to any high-quality videos or pics that show what an achievement "does" when you get one - what it looks like, sounds it makes (is it different for each game?), visual effects (does it fade in/fade out, for example), etc.?

2. What are some of the most common, famous, weirdest, hardest/easiest to get, most frustrating, etc.? (Doesn't matter which game.)

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Clarification – I am specifically looking at Xbox 360 Achievements here.

Well, achievements can be looked at in two ways:
-They are proof that you accomplished something in the game, usually very hard that takes time and dedication. The game rewards you with points that are assigned to your XBOX live account.

The best (or worst, depending on how you look at it) part is that you can compare scores with your friends, see what games they have and see how far they have gotten.

-They are nothing but points that makes a player's ego and e-penis larger. Achievements are a gamer's ticket to showing off.

As an example of a weird/cool achievement is the "Little Rocket Man"  in The Orange Box. Its special because you have to carry a garden gnome throughout the game before you can arrive at a rocket launch site.

XBOX 360 games for kids (like any THQ game, licensed game or Viva Pinata Party Animals) are infamous for handing out achievements like they were candy. In one of the Avatar: Last Air bended games you can get 3 achievements by just spamming an attack.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 06:59:57 PM »
XBOX 360 games for kids (like any THQ game, licensed game or Viva Pinata Party Animals) are infamous for handing out achievements like they were candy. In one of the Avatar: Last Air bended games you can get 3 achievements by just spamming an attack.

You mean all 8 Lol
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 09:22:32 PM »
Thanks guys, getting some good info here. Ok, here's another question.

Aside from Little Rocket Man (which I initially tried to get, but gave up on eventually :P), what are some of the most famous achievements. Are there some especially funny/bizarre/difficult/whatever ones that are especially well-known?

ALSO, what are some of the most well-known from the super-mega-hit games, like Halo 3 or Bioshock, etc.?

What I'm looking for is, what achievements would the most people be the most familiar with?

P.S. - MAN, those Avatar achievements are horrible. Who has the patience for that crap?
Twitter

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 09:57:35 PM »
Aside from Little Rocket Man (which I initially tried to get, but gave up on eventually :P)

My second playthrough on HL2E2 was so much more enjoyable because I didn't have to tug that stupid gnome *cringes* with me all over the place.

what achievements would the most people be the most familiar with?

I guess the achievment that you unlock for completing the "story" for any game that contains somewhat of an adventure to follow through.

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 10:15:25 PM »
I'm kind of looking for specific achievements, like the name. Like "Little Rocket Man." Is there a specific one you can think of, Caliban, relating to completing the story mode of a game? Funny or well-known names of achievements would be helpful as well. Like the HL2E2 one.

(Props on making it, though... that's a long way to take the little guy:P I think I dropped him down a mine shaft, and gave up. Poor little guy. He's probably still falling...)
Twitter

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 12:07:56 AM »
I'm kind of looking for specific achievements, like the name. Like "Little Rocket Man."

The only story-mode-completion achievement I can think of offhand is "Heartbreaker," which you get after beating Portal.  But the (much) bigger reward was hearing the ending credits song.

XBOX 360 games for kids (like any THQ game, licensed game or Viva Pinata Party Animals) are infamous for handing out achievements like they were candy.

Yes.  20G for naming my Piñata was the best!  I felt so special!  (Wow, there's actually a Viva Piñata ad right next to me right now.  How strange...)

Also, I'm always comparing games with people to see how similar our achievements are.  That's part of what got me back to playing GTA IV.  Seeing that other people had beaten the game and gotten a bunch of multiplayer achievements made me go back to the game, beat it, and get into the ranked multiplayer matches.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 12:09:56 AM by matt oz »
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 02:46:52 AM »
Wasn't Dead Rising known for having an archievement for getting your kill counter as high as the population of the town you're playing in?

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 08:10:42 AM »

A little system notification style comes up with a 'blip' sound when you get it, and then it gets attached to your profile with the date you get it. You can turn these notifications on/off on your 360 personal preferences. Here's a good example of how it pops up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLYzWz3HBkg

You can also browse peoples' achievements online. Here's mine, for example:
http://gamercard.xbox.com/SuperTy%20DX.card

Games on other systems are starting to use their own built-in achievements, and I think Steam on the PC also does (or is that just for TF2?)

Some that jump to mind:
DOAX2 has one for collecting every single thing in the game - a zillion hour grind
GRAW has an achievement for having a #1 leaderboard ranking (I wonder if you can get away with just a #1 weekly or daily?)
Guitar Hero 3 has an achievement for beating someone on the design team, or someone else who has the achievement

Wasn't Dead Rising known for having an archievement for getting your kill counter as high as the population of the town you're playing in? 
It has an achievement for killing like 53k zombies. I dunno where that number came from but it's the same for everybody. (I did this. It's how you get the megaman arm cannon, I think)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 09:05:15 AM »
Guitar Hero 3 also has an achievement for beating hard or expert(can't remember which one) with a standard 360 controller

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 10:18:09 AM »
It has an achievement for killing like 53k zombies. I dunno where that number came from but it's the same for everybody. (I did this. It's how you get the megaman arm cannon, I think)

I worded it badly, I meant the town the game plays in, not the one the player is in.

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 01:43:05 PM »
Wow, tons of good info, guys, thanks! It's a pretty brilliant concept when executed properly. I have some good ammo for the project I'm working on now.

But if anybody has any other famous/interesting/funny/bizarrely-titled/etc. achievements, keep at it!
Twitter

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 03:14:41 PM »
Gears of War has some funny achievement names, like "A Series of Tubes" for an online play achievement

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/achievements.php?gameID=144

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 03:29:20 PM »
The Nuge
Kill 100 enemies in ranked matches with the Torque Bow

Nice.  I wonder how many people even get that reference.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 03:33:48 PM »
The Nuge
Kill 100 enemies in ranked matches with the Torque Bow

Nice.  I wonder how many people even get that reference.

LOL Thats fucking sweet.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 03:35:26 PM »
MegaMan 9 achievements.
Jitterbug
Clear the game in 60 minutes or less. 20

Invincible
Clear the game without dying. 30

Almost Invincible
Clear the game without continuing. 20

No Coffee Break
Clear the game without using any Energy or Mystery Tanks. 10

Peacekeeper
Clear the game by defeating the fewest number of enemies possible. 20

Conservationist
Clear the game by using the least amount of Weapon Energy possible. 20

Gamer’s Day
Clear the game 5 times in 1 day. 20

Whomp Wily!
Clear the game once. 5

Destroyer
Defeat your 1000th enemy. 20

World Warrior
Defeat every type of enemy. 5

Trusty Sidearm
Defeat the 8 Bosses with the Mega Buster. 20

Blue Bomber 10
Defeat a Boss without getting damaged.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 03:44:26 PM »
Yes, Dead Rising as some really good ones. Here are a few:
-Strike:
Send at least 10 zombies flying with bowling balls

-Zombie genocider:
Defeat at least 53,594 zombies (this took me around 2 hours to get)

-Sharp dresser:
Change into at least 20 different costumes

-Raining zombies:
Knock at least 30 zombies aside with a parasol

There are two important ones, but would spoil the game, especially for those that want to play it on the Wii.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2008, 03:46:47 PM »
I'm gonna like Dead Rising, love some The Clapcom zombie killing.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2008, 06:10:17 PM »
There are two important ones, but would spoil the game, especially for those that want to play it on the Wii.
You won't miss them if you just remember to take pictures of everyone and everything

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2008, 08:04:46 PM »
It's going to be hard to take pictures of everything in the Wii version...

:(
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality