Author Topic: REVIEWS: Punch-Out!!  (Read 32516 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: REVIEWS: Punch-Out!!
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2009, 08:10:35 PM »
You know, now that I think about it that's what we're missing in Punch-Out Wii: Reggie as the final boss of the game.  That would be frickin' epic dodging his instant-kill Powerpoint Presentations attack!
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2009, 08:45:41 PM »
He's so used to dodging questions about underserving Nintendo's hardcore fanbase that he'd be virtually impossible to hit, thanks to his years of training.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2009, 08:48:27 PM »
He's so used to dodging questions about underserving Nintendo's hardcore fanbase that he'd be virtually impossible to hit, thanks to his years of training.

Thereby making him from all accounts a perfect replacement for Mike Tyson.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2009, 03:41:02 AM »
Been working my way through Title Defense and it's a real bitch, but I'm still loving it. I thought I was getting the patterns down pretty good in the Normal Circuits, but in reality, it wasn't anywhere near the perfection needed to win in Title Defense. When I get stuck, it's nice to take a break with the Challenges in the Exhibition Mode.

I do find it interesting how much more approachable this title is over the two preceding titles, especially SPO. While this the game is quite challenging, I only need to tackle one boxer at a time which makes it very manageable. It's nice to have the opportunity to hone my skills one boxer at a time rather than being forced through an entire circuit to lose on the last guy because I've had no opportunity to learn his patterns.

When they first announced the title I guess I wasn't expecting much, and I wasn't even planning on buying it, but now that I have it, I'm just blown away by how fantastic and genuinely fun it is. I really hope the game does well and convinces Nintendo that we need more of this.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2009, 04:31:50 AM »
This game is bringing out more stupid reviewers as well, you can tell who hasn't played it when they say there is nothing new in regards to patterns. It is almost a dead giveaway they haven't played Title Defense. Also I agree 100% about it being a great feature to allow you to focus on one fighter without having to worry about losing your lives and starting over, I guess there biggest deterrent is that if you lose too much your win/loss record will be horrendous!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Dan_Doll

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2009, 03:47:10 PM »
Yeah, people were asking what's new in this one and I have been pleasantly surprised by the Title Defense mode which essentially doubles the roster of fights with some really tricky patterns that change as the fights progress.

There's a lot of replay value there, plus with the challenges in exhibition that get you thinking more like a seasoned player (how can I win the fastest?, what's a trick for more stars or one-punch knockdowns?).

Then, once you've logged in enough hours to be relatively good at each fight, there's the never ending challenge of holding and maintaining a perfect winning record. Good luck.

The devs put in a lot of stuff I hadn't even thought of. I was worried that being able to replay losses endlessly would suck the life out of the game, but they actually added so much that it's only another plus.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2009, 08:43:45 PM »
I figure I'd drop by to say that I love this game so much as evidenced by the review.

I beat the hell out of everything, but I still find myself going back to it to pick away at the challenges and just play it over again. I can see myself going back to this game for a long time.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 26, 2009, 11:36:52 AM »
I'm supposed to get my copy from Amazon this week.  Now, after Lindy's experience, I'm very, very afraid.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2009, 11:43:38 AM »
Wonderful game.  Motion controls with Advanced Jabs option feels great.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2009, 11:58:31 AM »
My copy is supposed to arrive today and because of all the HYPE & praise this game has gotten here, I have no choice but to be horribly disappointed by my now ridiculously high expectations. Thanks NWR for ruining this game before I even get to play it.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2009, 12:08:18 PM »
GameStop will take it for $15.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2009, 05:31:44 PM »
How am I supposed to go get my $15 from GS if USPS won't deliver my game with the rest of my mail!!? >:(

Disappointment Delayed.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2009, 09:56:48 PM »
My copy is supposed to arrive today and because of all the HYPE & praise this game has gotten here, I have no choice but to be horribly disappointed by my now ridiculously high expectations. Thanks NWR for ruining this game before I even get to play it.

Sorry but the one to blame for that is yourself. If you noticed the game was receiving ridiculous amounts of hype before and after release the safe stance would have been to stay in neutral ground so that way you can find some enjoyment in the game even if you end up thinking its highly overrated.

Besides, many other people offered very good and valid counterpoints as to why the game is not perfect and not worthy of a 10, but NWR can't be blamed fully for your somehow ridiculous expectations.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2009, 10:06:05 PM »
You know what Pap, it was probably your fault that I have to delay my disappointment till tomorrow. I don't know how or why you did it, but I'm sure that you did it. Why would you be party to raising my expectations of this game to the point that I decided to buy it now instead of later and then when I eagerly await for it to arrive in the mail (to experience my disappointment as planned<on time>), you make sure it doesn't show up...

VENDETTA PAP.... vendetta

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #114 on: May 26, 2009, 10:20:23 PM »
You know what Pap, it was probably your fault that I have to delay my disappointment till tomorrow. I don't know how or why you did it, but I'm sure that you did it. Why would you be party to raising my expectations of this game to the point that I decided to buy it now instead of later and then when I eagerly await for it to arrive in the mail (to experience my disappointment as planned<on time>), you make sure it doesn't show up...

VENDETTA PAP.... vendetta

Sure why not? I might as well confess that I was the one that messed with Lindy's order and replaced his order with my book using my leet hacking skills.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 26, 2009, 10:23:01 PM »
Now I wish this game had an online mode, so that when I do receive my copy, I would be able to see you in the ring.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2009, 10:27:15 PM »
Now I wish this game had an online mode, so that when I do receive my copy, I would be able to see you in the ring.

Yeah, cause that's the only way to include a Puertorican in Punch Out (which they manage to ignore considering the game is a Stereotypes of the World showcase in DVD form).
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2009, 10:31:47 PM »
Well thats because they only focused on the people that matter in this world

j/k, I don't even know who is in the game. just a joke, don't hate me... I cancel the vendetta.. are we still friends?

I'm ready to play some PunchOut!!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2009, 12:24:24 PM »
Well thats because they only focused on the people that matter in this world

BnM, remarks like this are not tolerated in these forums in any way, shape, or form no matter how they're "meant", and will be dealt with harshly if necessary.  This applies to everyone, users and staff included.  Consider this a final warning.  Thanks.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2009, 01:16:25 PM »
Played more last night, despite the lack of a cool valley breeze.

Loving motion controls.  Prompts me to be quick in mind and body, instead of just a lazy button jumper.  When I'm ready to take a break THEN I'll relax with some Rune Factory Frontier.

I want to hear more from people using motion controls, and what they like getting out of it.  3 hours of Kart with Bill and Mario over the weekend has given me a sprained thumb.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2009, 01:36:49 PM »
Played more last night, despite the lack of a cool valley breeze.

Loving motion controls.  Prompts me to be quick in mind and body, instead of just a lazy button jumper.  When I'm ready to take a break THEN I'll relax with some Rune Factory Frontier.

I want to hear more from people using motion controls, and what they like getting out of it.  3 hours of Kart with Bill and Mario over the weekend has given me a sprained thumb.

I like the motion controls in two player a lot. It makes it like Wii Boxing, but with structure and some sembalance of making sense.
As for the regular game? It's just jarring to my old NES and SNES ways.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2009, 01:49:26 PM »
Anyone that can defeat Super Macho Man with motion controls gets my respect.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2009, 03:04:17 PM »
I can beat Super Reggie Man with motion controls. I demand respect.

The motion controls are fine. The only area I see it inferior to the Nes style controls is that the analog stick is used for digital movement. I can't always move the stick fast enough to register a dodge against Mr. Sandman's quick attacks.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2009, 04:11:02 PM »
Urkel gets respect.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2009, 04:30:14 PM »
My copy of PunchOut just arrived!!! I'm so excited to be disappointed, its crazy!!