Author Topic: Here there be ponies  (Read 134790 times)

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: The "Maxi Is Just a Little Too Involved In My Little Ponies" thread
« Reply #200 on: March 18, 2012, 11:31:45 PM »

I guess i don't like this show so much as i used to. I havent watched the last 5 eps and i just dont care enough to watch 'em

You just described any major fandom for any other show or movie in existance. Avatar: The Last Airbender, Star Wars, Star Trek, Sherlock, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Fringe, Teen Titans, etc etc etc. Bronies are in no way unique.

Why is it that MLP is popular among gamers in their mid 20s over other series that seem to fit the bill more, like say, Regular Show or Adventure Time?  Those are both (arguably) children's shows that include interesting characters, and loads of references to other media (i.e. video games), which are both things that fans of MLP (including Maxi) cite as some of the main reasons they enjoy the show. So, why has MLP caught on in the online community over other shows?

I've watched and enjoyed a helluva lot more girly anime/shows than MLP (if its good its good, i dont really care so much about who it's "for") so to me that wasn't really a barrier but yeah, it has a lot to do with the fandom of it all (like hilarious youtube poops and parodies) that re-inforces the show I think. Then there's people like Maxi who just genuinely really like the show a lot. Bronies aren't really unique other than the fact that the whole phenomena was just so unlikely which makes the fandom that much more enjoyable, espesially since the show's authors acknowledge Bronies in the show itself (see: Derpy Hooves) . As for why Gamers specifically enjoy it probably has more to do with where the whole Brony thing came from (4chan) than the show's content imo.

also here's an (overdramatic) know your meme on it

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:10:49 AM by Lithium »

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 19, 2012, 12:50:02 AM »
I always knew that the internet was full of strange people, but this takes the cake.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #202 on: March 19, 2012, 01:25:03 AM »
I always knew that the internet was full of strange people, but this takes the cake.

Don't judge a book by its cover.

Wow that video is getting around today Lithium. I saw it in a few videos I watched today.I should add that it is actually how I stepped into the fanbase and checked out what the whole thing was about. The KNM video. That was back when the video was uploaded actually. Back in August.

Lithium I have to say that A Friend in Deed and Putting your Hoof Down are great episodes that you may have missed. Its about Time is great as well since there is some great references in it. Next episode is Hurricane Fluttershy which looks pretty solid from the clip they released back on Saturday.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:28:03 AM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 19, 2012, 01:28:11 AM »
Since when is it hate knowing that people are strange in all sorts of ways. Honestly.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #204 on: March 19, 2012, 01:36:42 AM »
All I was saying is don't knock it till you tried it.

Another point Kytim that want to bring up is that just because I have this interest that doesn't necessarily mean that that this in my only interest. Bronies have tons of interests that are wide ranging and it isn't really fair to corner someone and call them strange because their tastes don't align with your own.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 02:06:32 AM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #205 on: March 19, 2012, 09:33:03 AM »
You might enjoy the newest article on http://fightmangame.tumblr.com

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 19, 2012, 09:41:33 AM »
lmfao @ the hash tags and the last pic

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 19, 2012, 11:29:04 AM »

Another point Kytim that want to bring up is that just because I have this interest that doesn't necessarily mean that that this in my only interest. Bronies have tons of interests that are wide ranging and it isn't really fair to corner someone and call them strange because their tastes don't align with your own.

And all I was saying is that being called strange isn't harmful in any possible way. It's Kytim89... he's  not the least strangest around here. If the interwebs is full of "normal" people I don't want to be apart of it anymore. Get off your high horse, Maxi.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 19, 2012, 01:28:23 PM »
I think you mean "high pony."
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 19, 2012, 01:41:01 PM »
I thought of that, but that would take away the seriousness of my post.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 19, 2012, 02:03:01 PM »

I meant that as a joke and meant no harm. To each his own. What ever you are interested in is your business and I respect you for that.  :)
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #211 on: March 19, 2012, 02:17:08 PM »

I meant that as a joke and meant no harm. To each his own. What ever you are interested in is your business and I respect you for that.  :)

Seriously this is the kind of attitude I don't mind and I do admit I did overreact so I am sorry for that.

Anyway here is a sneak peak into the next episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_pCZhIx4Zk

Also here is another clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6gLgoA7TWU&list=UUGdpavniWAvuq2ijGtLwuZg

Little background. Fluttershy isn't a very good flier unless see is pushed to it like she was in The season 2 opener.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 04:58:50 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 19, 2012, 03:10:27 PM »
I love opinions.
Why can't we all have some?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #213 on: March 20, 2012, 01:41:35 PM »
Well I just found a pretty funny video that I was going to save till season 2 was over but I found it funny enough to share now. There is two versions of it. A clean and normal versions. The normal version has some swearing in it so I will link both. Basically it is a PMV of the whole of Season 1. They plan on doing one of Season 2 for when it is over so there is 4 more episodes left. Also there is a 3rd season already being worked on so yeah. Anyway the links.

Normal version

Clean version.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:47:00 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #214 on: March 20, 2012, 03:37:22 PM »
Also this was uploaded by The Living Tombstone the other day and I also thought I would mention he is doing a livestream right now and he is working on a new song.
Here is his remix of the Smile song.

If you want an non lyrical version he has it in the discription.

Here is the link to his live stream.

http://www.livestream.com/thelivingtombstone
Done streaming.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 05:24:49 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Dragon Quest
« Reply #215 on: March 21, 2012, 02:19:20 PM »
I guess I haven't actually talked about the latest episode that much so I will do that now. I thought it was pretty good episode. It was the finding ones self episode although the moral of the episode I have seen been interpreted in different ways. Basically its best to be who you are on the inside or just because you are a guy doesn't mean that you have to be that typical persona of the guy and another one was to use your own mind when people are pressuring you. I also gotta say that I think that this was the first "guy" episode in the series as a whole. By that I mean that the focus is more on the dragons in the episode then the ponies. So you get the typical "guy" stuff in the episode.

Anyway here is a few episode reviews I found.

Also someone made a PMV of the opening of the episode where Fluttershy asserts herself on Rainbow Dash brutally.

I guess she learned her assertive training from Iron Will really well.I guess that game of DDR got out of hand...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 02:27:32 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 21, 2012, 04:04:55 PM »
I miss when Maxi used to post non-pony related things.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #217 on: March 21, 2012, 04:40:19 PM »
Oh I still do its just that I had more time to do them then I do now. Besides I have other obligations that I have to take care of like another site and its twitter account and drawing and taking care of my backlog and real life stuff. I also like to add that I am a part of more forums then this one so I have my attention split even more. So I have to pick and chose what I post. It just so happens that the pony stuff has more content out there to chose from then pretty much anything I could post. Quite frankly I could post as much pony stuff as I can in a day and I still wouldn't be posting enough to be caught up with all the content that comes out from the fanbase. I am actually holding back if you can believe that. 

Besides I was actually going around sites right now to go post some gaming stuff but I saw this and well I had to respond.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 04:44:30 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Hurricane Fluttershy
« Reply #218 on: March 24, 2012, 02:54:36 PM »

I thoughts this weeks episode was great and not just because it was a Fluttershy episode. There was a lot of nods to the fandom. Fluttertree. Derpy, and there was a bit of character development for both Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. There was also a lot of old ponies named and there was new ponies with out names so we in the fandom can give them names.  I saw the next episodes clip and I am liking it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 03:39:56 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #219 on: March 25, 2012, 11:20:12 PM »

I don't believe anyone's posted this, so I took the initiative. This is from MAD on Cartoon Network (which is basically a kid-oriented Robot Chicken). It (apparently) shows that for a show that's supposedly all about friendship and love, people just to seem to be fighting over it left and right, and for no good reason.

And I thought it was pretty funny. ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:25:34 PM by FZeroBoyo »
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #220 on: March 26, 2012, 02:22:28 AM »
Yeah I saw that a while ago I thought it was entertaining. Tara Strong did the voice of the lead unicorn. If my memory serves me correctly the pony that is suppose to be Rainbow Dash is spoken by I believe Phil from Rugrats. That's what comes to mind first when I hear the voice. I enjoyed what they did with the mashup. I also liked the shoutout with the cake.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #221 on: March 26, 2012, 02:34:23 AM »
If my memory serves me correctly the pony that is suppose to be Rainbow Dash is spoken by I believe Phil from Rugrats.

Yep, IMDB says Kath Soucie (who voiced both Phil and Lil on Rugrats) voiced Magic Magic Marker Boy and Rainbow Dash on that episode of Mad.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #222 on: March 26, 2012, 07:51:25 PM »
Well the season finale isn't for a few more episodes but Hasbro and The Hub has started hyping the episode and spreading it around as far as what they are doing for the 2 parter episode. Here is the promo that The Hub put out for the episode.

Here is the write up that EQD did and the press release from The Hub.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/03/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic.html#more

I have some thoughts on what is going to happen with the episode based on the promo but I think that I will keep them to myself. I'll just say this. A lot of the stuff that has happened in season 2 will be referenced in the two parter. A specific area in one of the previous episodes will have some bearing on what happens in the season finale.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 26, 2012, 09:33:35 PM »
Hey Maxi,

Enterplay (which made wonderful Nintendo-themed trading cards) is making some My Little Pony cards - and they're asking for fans of the show to take a survey.
http://www.facebook.com/Enterplay/posts/349291178454538
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #224 on: March 26, 2012, 09:51:45 PM »
Hey Maxi,

Enterplay (which made wonderful Nintendo-themed trading cards) is making some My Little Pony cards - and they're asking for fans of the show to take a survey.
http://www.facebook.com/Enterplay/posts/349291178454538
I haven't really collected trading cards in a long while but thanks for linking to the survey.There is actually someone in the fandom that I know that is making a trading card game and it is pretty detailed with the cards and the effects and there was a pretty good system in place for different series of cards to work with the other cards last I talked to him.

Thanks for linking to the survey.
Alexis, she/her/Miss