Author Topic: Episode 537: The Worst Idea in a Strategy Game since Conception II  (Read 8175 times)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 537: The Worst Idea in a Strategy Game since Conception II
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2017, 10:52:37 AM »
Reminds me of the splatoon episode. The guys dumped **** on Splatoon and i came here and said the same thing about the negativity and it turned out splatoon was a great game that gave us great free content.

People got defensive in that thread too.

Sorry guys. Didn't mean to bring an opinion.

I really hope you don't take this thread as people trying to criticize you for your opinion.  We all love Nintendo here (why else would we be hanging out on a Nintendo-centric website?), but most criticism I've been trying to levy here has been from a position of wishing Nintendo could meet the potential of how good their ecosystem COULD be.

I mean, there's a decade of competent networks to draw best practices upon and mimic.  Why reinvent the wheel when there's a standard that exists, that works well, and makes customers happy?

Offline Kobeskillz

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2017, 01:01:03 AM »
Reminds me of the splatoon episode. The guys dumped **** on Splatoon and i came here and said the same thing about the negativity and it turned out splatoon was a great game that gave us great free content.

People got defensive in that thread too.

Sorry guys. Didn't mean to bring an opinion.

I really hope you don't take this thread as people trying to criticize you for your opinion.  We all love Nintendo here (why else would we be hanging out on a Nintendo-centric website?), but most criticism I've been trying to levy here has been from a position of wishing Nintendo could meet the potential of how good their ecosystem COULD be.

I mean, there's a decade of competent networks to draw best practices upon and mimic.  Why reinvent the wheel when there's a standard that exists, that works well, and makes customers happy?

Well said.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2017, 01:36:09 AM »
Sorry to be getting around to this, but I want to point this out to Bryan's question.

Nippon Ichi Sofware's games ALL take place in a shared universe. although mostly contained to Post-game activities or DLC, characters from one NIS game will often show up in another. This includes ties to Hyperdimension Neptunia, The Wii's Phantom Brave, James Jones favorite Soul Nomad and the World Eaters (Speaking of deviant things on the level of bestiality, that game gets fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked up if you play the special new game +) and Makai Wars, a game that got canceled but as an in joke the main character from this canceled game invades other games looking for work or her opportunity to finally shine in the light of day. she also has a different voice actress every time because nothing about her is ever finalized.

This element of crossing over started when Prier of La Pucelle: tactics appeared as an optional boss and recruitable character in the first Disgaea game. The ties are a little bit stronger between Disgaea games themselves, since the crossover elements tend to happen during the main game's plot like in cases of Etna showing up For Disgaea 2, Axel and Flonne being big parts of Disgaea 4, etc. That being said, I cannot think of a NIS developed Strategy/RPG that does not have SOME sort of cameo by Laharl looking to conquer other worlds or be the main character of a new game or... really, to just be a little prick to everyone.

That being said, a lot of these cameos are played for laughs, as most of the time these games tend to satirize rather than take themselves seriously. They're also kiiiinda a shared Multiverse, but Item World is essentially Multiverse hopping as it is within one game, so...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 01:39:39 AM by ClexYoshi »

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2017, 02:40:12 AM »
I'm still wondering what working with DeNA has done for Nintendo. Obviously, they help with the cellphone games, but they were also meant to help with the NX (now Switch). Is the voice app really the best they could do? It feels like Nintendo said, "We need online. We need online! Oh no, scary!!" and backed away awkwardly.

They've had online success in the past. But when it comes to online, it seems they have little to no institutional memory and have to start at square one every time a console/handheld launches. Sometimes they go backward and can't even do it as well as the previous system. At least ,not until after years of updates, just to get back to where they were.

If people are skeptical, it's because of numerous examples in Nintendo's past. Nintendo's current attitude does nothing to help matters. So little communication makes it seem like they don't have a real plan, or at least, not a good one. Especially when they delays things for months and still have little to nothing to say and don't address the problems people have with their current service.

There is no defending the current voice app. Is it Splatoon 2 only, or will other games come use it? Not even a hint of an answer. There are so many things wrong with the app from a design and functionality point of view, it feels like they threw it together in a couple of months. And yet, they had as long as Splatoon 2's dev cycle to come up with a quality product and failed.

To James: A Jet Force Gemini RetroActive shouldn't make you sick. It should be the cure for your ills. Sunshine on a cloudy day! I think a JFG RetroActive in January to start off 2018 right, is the way to go. I'm sure many people would agree with me! :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 02:02:49 AM by MASB »