Author Topic: Miyamoto on Vita: Needs More Games   (Read 6267 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Miyamoto on Vita: Needs More GamesĀ 
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 12:25:47 AM »
The problem is Sony (and anyone for that matter) only has so many studios which can only work on so many titles at any particular time. They also have to support the PS3 and work to support the inevitable PS4, so their resources are divided. I think Sony will put more emphasis on PS4 production over the Vita because the PS4 is a console and that may be more important for them to do well in that area. They probably view handheld gaming as secondary, and so it gets a much lower priority.

That said, don't be surprised if in the long run the bulk of the Vita's library ends up being ports of PS3/PS4 games. It is no accident that Sony made the Vita on par with the PS3. I think its clear they intend to treat it as a handheld PS3 port system.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:28:08 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 01:50:55 AM »
Sony, like Nintendo, has hardware goals and targets that are less flexible than those for software. When the Vita development was done, they needed to get it out ASAP to start making back that R&D. Sitting on it to wait for games to be ready seems like a good idea until you're wasting a year sitting on hardware that isn't getting better and letting expenses pile up. Both companies depended on 3rd parties to fill in some of the gaps, but sadly it behooves 3rd parties to take a wait-and-see approach on supporting new hardware, especially in the handheld sector where analysts are regularly predicting downturns.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 06:38:57 PM »
Having a large launch lineup can be a bad thing for certain games. I think a large reason why the original Red Steel game sold as well as it did was because it was a Wii launch title and it only had to compete with the other Wii launch titles, so people had less to buy so consequently the things that they did have available to buy they were more likely to buy. Imagine if the Wii's launch lineup was like 10 times larger than it was. Then those games which sold over a million copies might not have done as well, because they would have had more competition. So having a huge launch lineup isn't necessarily a good thing for everyone. Having the market oversaturated with too much software that doesn't sell isn't a good thing either.
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 07:39:47 PM »
Miyamoto on Vita: Needs My Games