Author Topic: What games you thought about but ultimately didn't get?  (Read 10558 times)

Online azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
What games you thought about but ultimately didn't get?
« on: November 15, 2013, 12:10:16 AM »
3DS:
Fire Emblem -- i'd rather finish Shadow Dragon and try out earlier games sometime later rather than start yet another RPG timesink
Animal Crossing -- ain't nobody got time for that!
Pokemon -- never played series before
Mario and Donkey Kong -- it's not Donkey Kong 94
Sticker Star -- disappointing battle system
Castlevania 3DS -- developer saying that this game will be available later on PC

Wii U:
Zombi U -- it's console FPS
Game & Wario -- it's not WarioWare (that "Gamer" mode is tempting though)
Nintendo Land -- can't justify buying largely multiplayer game that i would get to play only two-three times (Wii Party U is totally okay for that though)
Scribblenauts Unlimited -- can't buy something that is still not available in PAL zone, ultimately got it for cheap on Steam

360:
DMC HD collection -- it was on sale for 15 bucks. Not sure why i passed on this exactly. Still kinda want to get it eventually.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: What games you thought about but ultimately didn't get?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 11:41:29 AM »
So far, ZombiU is very far away from any console FPS I've played (those include various CODs, Goldeneye, Conduit and Killzones). I think you'd dig it, Azeke.

I considered getting one of the Metal Gear collections for PS3 but ain't nobody got time for that.

Still on my "probably some day" list are Mario and Luigi Dream Team and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.

On the fence about 3DS Castlelvania, 3DS Mickey Mouse Illusion thing and 3DS Lego City.

Decided against 3D Dot Game Heroes.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 11:58:24 AM »
SideArms for the TG-16. I have regretted it ever since.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 12:28:20 PM »
When I first started collecting SNES games I passed on Mega Man X2, unaware of how rare it was.  I probably was buying something else the same day I saw it and at the beginning of my collection I had to prioritize and have restraint as the store could easily have like 20 games I wanted and didn't have yet (and SNES games were only like five years old at the time so the selection was good).  The first Mega Man X was one of the games my brothers and I owned when the SNES was current and they were pissed off that I didn't get X2 when I saw it.  I looked for it next time I was at the store but it was gone and I regretted that for a long time.  About 8 years later or so I finally did find a copy at the store, now twice the price it had been, though they had X3 there as well so in the end maybe I came out ahead.  Finding both X2 and X3 on the same day is one my favourite retro game collecting memories.

During the Gamecube years I thought for a while about buying a PS2 and R-Type Final and Gradius V were two games I had my eye on.  I've had a PS2 for many years now and still don't have either game.  I rarely even think to look for those titles at used game stores when I should.  I guess I figure I won't find the time to play them.

When Fire Emblem was announced for North America I was psyched but I got cold feet about permadeath and never bought any of the games.  I did just get a 3DS so I could get the recent Fire Emblem with the casual mode but my brother already has the game so I can just borrow his copy.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 04:54:28 PM »
3DS
Ace Attorney 5 (jury's still out)
Senran Kagura Burst (I know it just came out, but I went through the entire motions of being interested, reading about it, and then ultimately deciding against it)

Wii U
Need for Speed (I'd probably enjoy it, but I'd just rather play other games)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Canceled my Amazon order days before it came out. Don't have the time to sink into MH)
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 05:53:54 PM »
Hm, nothing's coming to mind, I eventually got everything I had wanted.

EDIT: It isn't exactly a game, but at various points I strongly considered getting both an Xbox 360 and PS3. With the Xbox, I wanted one for Perfect Dark and Borderlands, among a few smaller games, and someone even offered to buy me a year of Live Gold so we could play online together. With the PS3, I walked into GameStop intending to buy a used one in a sale, but after looking over the PS3 section, I walked out of there with a PS2 and got a bunch of games for less than what a PS3 costs. In both cases, I couldn't find enough games I wanted to justify the cost.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 06:19:13 PM by Mop it up »

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 07:34:54 PM »
I bought Shadowman for the N64 once, but upon discovering that it required a memory card to save, I just returned it instead of dropping more money. I was excited for the game at the time, though. I bet that **** would be terrible to play now.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 09:13:56 AM »
Assassin's Creed IV.  I've played bits an pieces of 2, brotherhood, and 3, and even though the pirate ships appealed to me, I've come to accept Assassin's Creed is just a series I can't get into.

I passed on getting an Xbox 360.  I've been tempted to look for one cheap the last few months to play xbox exclusives (something I did with the original Xbox), but after a few minutes realized it would more or less just end up being a Halo/Gears of War machine, and can't justify the cost of a console for that.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 06:18:52 PM »
I almost ordered extra copies of Xenoblade as a sort of investment strategy.

I also almost bought the original Shante on GBC. Was sitting on the Gamestop shelf for ages and I kept saying next time I would pick it up. Pity.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 10:00:46 PM »
I kept meaning to pick up FFV Advance but didn't have the money at the time - and when I got a job that allowed me to, it was sold out.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Online azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 10:17:37 PM »
2014 update.

Wii U:
Mario Kart 8 -- announcement of DLC before the game is released, that and my interest simply was not that high to begin with.
Hyrule Warriors -- announcement of DLC before the game is released.
Super Smash Bros (both versions) -- i dunno. I still don't understand fully how the game controls. Until then i am okay trying out Melee from time to time.

3DS:
Fantasy Life -- i dunno... Seems like too shallow...
1001 Spikes -- i WISH i could buy it. But it's yet another case of PAL version inexplicably delayed despite that it was released many months ago in NA.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 10:47:51 PM »
DKC Tropical Freeze - I'm just meh on the whole Donkey Kong series after Diddy's Kong Quest.
The LEGO Movie Videogame - Barely got through LEGO City Undercover.
Rayman Legends - I'll get around to it eventually, I guess.
Scribblenauts Unmasked - Negative reviews.
Sonic Lost World - I value my time/dignity and I am a human with a pulse...
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 07:35:49 PM »
Mario Kart 8 -- announcement of DLC before the game is released,
Huh, was this game delayed in your country or something?

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 08:45:59 AM »
I love how Ian kinda took this as the thread of ultimate regrets. I have quite a few. I could have owned a copy of the original Shantae but passed it for Wario Land 4. I also stupidly lent out my copy of Clayfighter Sculptor's cut out to somebody who 'lost' it back in the day and now that game is worth about $300. :/

I'll try to isolate it to stuff that's come out within the past couple of years to avoid this list growing to an unreasonable size. Off the top of my head...

3DS:
Kirby Triple Deluxe-
A lot of these are going to have the common theme of "I spent several years unemployed besides my loose freelance art gig, which brings in a pittance." It took me a few years to get a copy of Return to Dreamland, and this game seems to be closely tied to that as far as it's engine goes. Sign me up!... aaafter I get some holiday money that's probably going to Bayonetta and Captain Toad first...
Bravely Default- The demo on this one had me playing on and off between sessions of Masuda Method in Kalos, unto which I liken to attempting to win a lottery to enter the Tour De France with how much bike riding goes on while trying to get teh shiniez. could have gotten this one for my birthday, but passed it up for some older stuff, including Radiant Historia and A Link Between Worlds!
Pushmo/Crashmo-Lumped together because I'd want one of these. Or Pushmo World. I'm kinda a sucker for Intelligent Systems games, even if these don't immediatley appeal to me.
Crimson Shroud-Oh Man, I am a HUGE fan of Matsuno's games. Weather it's Tactics Ogre to Vagrant Story, this guy has a knack for making interesting games with intrigue steeped in European historical drama. one of many things I want to get get an eShop card and go on a binge for.
Azure Striker Gunvolt- This came out shortly before I got my recent job, but I just... haven't gotten it. I keep forgetting when I have money or have more pressing things to get. Mighty Gunvolt doesn't seem worth the lage asking price when it's not bundled, and... I dunno. I should probably invest, but I am just not feeling it?
Etrian Oddesy 4- Gui kinda has me sold on this game... at the same time, I've had the demo sitting on my 3DS for some time and just... haven't touched it. if I end up trying it and liking it, I'll hunt down a copy/get it from the eShop, and then probably want Persona Q even though the Persona Games just... don't really jive with me. I dunno. I'm bad at managing what the hell I do with my time IRL, and I find myself following a social link FAQ because I don't know how the hell to approach Persona 3
Code of Princess- I actually REALLY wanna get this one, but again... money and just having the title get pushed to the back of my mind. I find Atlus stuff really hit or miss with me.

Wii U:
Child of Light-
This is just about the only really appealing game that Ubisoft has put out that I personally want to check out since maybe... Scott Pilgrim? There might be some other things, I dunno. My dad and friends have killed my desire to play Assasin's Creed games ever again, Watch_Dogs hasn't jived with me as much as I would have hoped, and uh... I really, REALLY don't like Rayman and question how the heck that franchise even became a thing. Also, I kinda associate Rayman with Tonic Trouble.
Guacamelee- Never got this on other consoles, and I figure this is probably the place I'll get it for being able to off TV play or something. I dunno. this is probably a back burner title after so many others I actually REALLY wanna get.
 (I need some sleep, I'll edit this post and finish the list later, but it includes stuff like Dark Souls 2, GTA 5, and just... a plethora of other stuff.)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 04:51:54 PM »
I also stupidly lent out my copy of Clayfighter Sculptor's cut out to somebody who 'lost' it back in the day and now that game is worth about $300. :/
Are you talking about a complete copy, or just the cartridge? I remember buying this game probably around 8 years or so ago, think I paid like $20, which I felt was a lot of money for a game that isn't so good (admittedly I'm not really into fighters). I've just kept it to have in my collection, but maybe I should take better care of it...

Speaking of Etrian Odyssey IV, if you didn't see, it's on sale in the eShop right now for $14.99.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 08:48:42 PM »
I also stupidly lent out my copy of Clayfighter Sculptor's cut out to somebody who 'lost' it back in the day and now that game is worth about $300. :/
Are you talking about a complete copy, or just the cartridge? I remember buying this game probably around 8 years or so ago, think I paid like $20, which I felt was a lot of money for a game that isn't so good (admittedly I'm not really into fighters). I've just kept it to have in my collection, but maybe I should take better care of it...

Speaking of Etrian Odyssey IV, if you didn't see, it's on sale in the eShop right now for $14.99.

Congrats, Mop! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clayfighter-Sculptors-Cut-Nintendo-64-Working-Condition-Cartridge-Only-/281520891776 :3 Sculptor's Cut Commands a pretty good price nowdays! also, It is NOT a good game. as a matter of fact, they were so desperate to put extra content into it that they put a half-complete character in the game.

Also, it seems that sale has ended, because searching Etrian Oddesy IV it on the eShop reveals it's $29.99
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 08:52:09 PM by ClexYoshi »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 09:08:33 PM »
Wii Sports Club though I plan on getting it eventually as part of a future sale. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker as well. That gives me two games for a Buy One Get One 40% off. If it's a Buy Two Get One Free sale, I may pick up NES Remix Pack, unless the sale hits around the same time as Majora's Mask on 3DS releases.

Otherwise, every Kirby game. I always think about buying them then convince myself not to because I've never really loved a Kirby game. I borrowed both Kirby Super Star on SNES and Kirby 64 from my neighbor and they were alright.  Sonic Heroes and I dodge the bullet on that one. the Final Fantasy XIII series and Final Fantasy X/X-2 collection (though I may pick up the later). I don't know why I keep thinking I should buy RPGs I'll never complete. Bayonetta on PS3 because it's Bayonetta on PS3. That worked out because the Wii U version is the bomb dot com (need to go back to it though). I was all-set to buy Child of Light on Wii U, but then I read reviews which weren't terrible and I realized I didn't need to force the issue since the free games I got from Club Nintendo counted toward the Digital Deluxe Promotion. I may still buy it, but I'm definitely waiting for a significant sale at this point. I could have bought Mario Sports Mix a month or two ago, but I tried it in the store first and realized it wasn't very good.

Lately, I've opted not to buy a game because my friend already bought it (or was planning to) and I just borrowed the game from him, namely God of War: Ascension, Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale (the more I think of it, the less I like the game), and The Last of Us (I didn't get far so I'll just borrow his copy of the Remastered version on PS4 whenever I get around to buying one... yes, he bought both version). I wish I had done the same with Lollipop Chainsaw. I've been smarter about buying games in the last couple years by waiting for sales, convincing myself I'll never play a game, and just borrowing from friends.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 09:31:49 PM »
For me, the biggest example is Xenoblade. Even with all the praise and hype it got, and how rare it was clear it was going to be, I couldn't talk myself into it. I'm just not much of a JRPG guy, especially on consoles. I might get it for 3DS once that version comes out, since it's the kind of thing I'd much rather have on a handheld.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 03:59:09 PM »
Also, it seems that sale has ended, because searching Etrian Odyssey IV it on the eShop reveals it's $29.99.
Oh, my mistake. I just looked this up, and it seems the sale runs Dec 8th through the 22nd. So it wasn't yet on sale when I made my post. The sale was announced back on the 4th when the new releases went up, so that's probably why I thought it already started. I'm sorry for the inconvenience!

As for ClayFighter, that's insane! I wonder what happened that people decided it's worth so much now, makes no sense to me.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 04:38:51 PM »
The Sculptor's Cut version of ClayFighter was a Blockbuster Video exclusive. The only non-rental versions of this game were given away by Blockbuster via an online contest.

http://web.archive.org/web/19980519124347/http://blockbuster.com/contests/games/clayfighter/contest.html

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 05:00:52 PM »
Yeah, but this was common knowledge 8 years ago, yet the game still sold for cheap back then. The box and manual were still expensive back then, because people knew how scarce those were due to being a rental.

Hm, perhaps it's that the N64 is now old enough to be considered a classic retro console in the same league as the NES? Maybe people are starting to get nostalgic for the system and there are an increasing number of collectors? That thought sure does make me feel old, though... and collectors and the high prices they pay have never made much sense to me.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 09:25:10 PM »
No doubt, I've noticed a steady increase in "retro" titles over the last few years and N64 games seem to be feeling that energy as well.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 11:11:53 PM »
My brother and I rented Mega Man 7 from Blockbuster so much that we should have just bought the darned thing. Not it sells for an insane amount used.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 11:18:42 PM »
There's already a pretty respectable list of rare N64 and Gamecube games. International SuperStar Soccer 2000, Mario Party 3, Bomberman 64 The Second Attack, NCAA College Basketball 2k3, the Metroid Prime/Wind Waker Combo.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 01:09:52 AM »
- FFV Advance
- Skyward Sword (found it for $20 in late 2012, didn't pull the trigger)
- Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
- Fortune Street (another $20 special I missed)
- Solatorobo
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.