Author Topic: Could WayForward Develop a Future Mega Man Game?  (Read 5544 times)

Offline Patchkid15

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Could WayForward Develop a Future Mega Man Game?
« on: January 08, 2012, 07:51:23 PM »

Capcom discusses whether WayForward could ever take the reigns of the Blue Bomber. 

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/28906

Capcom discussed whether a Mega Man game could ever be handled by WayForward Technologies in a forum post on their website.

While Senior Vice-President Christian Svensson recognizes WayFoward's prowess in handling 2D action games, it doesn't appear that Capcom has any plans for such a partnership currently.

In response to a question regarding the possibility of WayForward handling a Mega Man game, Svensson said, "I'll never say never but there'd be a million approvals before a MM title could ever be produced in the West."

Capcom and WayForward previously collaborated on the original Shantae for Game Boy Color.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: Could WayForward Develop a Future Mega Man Game?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 08:22:35 PM »
if they want money and to re-energize the series they would do it. knowing how Japan centric things are it won't ever happen.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 08:43:38 PM »
Wayforward should do a 2D 3DS Metroid game and remake of Metroid 2 for eShop. All with Nintendo's oversight and advice.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 09:34:20 PM »
I love this news story.

Capcom comments on whether WayForward could ever make a Mega Man game.

"Probably not."
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 10:02:52 PM »
Oddly enough, Kytim, I was just thinking the same thing the other day... that would be an awesome collaboration (and most likely a much better outcome than the LAST Metroid collaboration, which shall not be named). Sadly, I think that has more of a chance of happening than Capcom outsourcing Mega Man.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 10:05:27 PM »
The last Metroid collaboration was faulty because of who Nintendo put in charge (Sakamoto), not the studio they worked with. If Sakamoto is given free reign again, it won't matter who develops the game. The Prime games were so good because Sakamoto had minimal input.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 04:44:59 AM »
Metroid Fusion and Metroid: Zero Mission were also horrible because of the input Sakamoto had, and don't even get me started on the abortion that was Super Metroid. Clearly the guy is a hack.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 04:52:42 AM by Dasmos »
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 05:08:49 AM »
Damn it Dasmos! Sarcasm meters aren't cheap you know. I hope that was worth it.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline motang

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 10:03:04 AM »
Wayforward can make an awesome 2D Mega Man game!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
Not sure I'd like that. They'd probably bring back the spikes-galore level design that made most Mega Man games of the last decade suck.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 12:52:59 PM »
Metroid Fusion and Metroid: Zero Mission were also horrible because of the input Sakamoto had, and don't even get me started on the abortion that was Super Metroid. Clearly the guy is a hack.

Director's do decline in quality, and some should not be given total free reign over a project. I am not saying he wasn't good before (I loved Zero Mission, and like Fusion), but the problems with Other M were because of Sakamoto and NOT because of Team Ninja.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Discostew

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 03:05:59 PM »

lol, did you just diss Super Metroid? Understandable with Fusion (though I like it), but putting down Super Metroid is like declaring war.  :P:

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 03:08:12 PM »

lol, did you just diss Super Metroid? Understandable with Fusion (though I like it), but putting down Super Metroid is like declaring war.  :P:

As some of the later posts implied, that was heavily sarcastic. It's just the way Dasmos is.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline motang

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 03:11:49 PM »
I seriously think Nintendo should buy WayForward to add to their western developer roster.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 06:25:18 PM »
Director's do decline in quality, and some should not be given total free reign over a project. I am not saying he wasn't good before (I loved Zero Mission, and like Fusion), but the problems with Other M were because of Sakamoto and NOT because of Team Ninja.

Still doesn't chance the fact Other M is only one game.  It's rather unfair to say he shouldn't make anymore Metroid games because of just one game.  Hell you even say that you love Zero Mission, and that was the last Metroid Sakamoto made before Other M.  For all we know he's learned from his mistakes and his next Metroid game could be closer to Zero Mission in quality.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 07:20:05 PM »
Maybe. I just hope that on the next game Iwata doesn't give him as much free reign anyways.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 07:32:26 PM »
Sakamoto made one bad Metroid game BUT the seeds for this were planted in Fusion in retrospect.  That game is more linear than the typical Metroid and has a major emphasis on story.  These were the things that went off the rails with Other M.  So I would argue that with the direction of Metroid Fusion it was only a matter of time before Sakamoto made a **** Metroid.  That was the worst-case scenario of the direction Fusion was leading the series in.

I wouldn't assume he would set things right if given the chance.  I think Other M is exactly what he wanted.  I don't think he considers it a mistake.  Thus the series should be taken away from him.  You don't accidentally turn the game into a linear action title and he is probably really proud of his hackneyed story.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 07:55:51 PM »
I rather enjoyed the gameplay in Other M, aside from a few odd/bad choices. I'd advocate restricting his influence or flat-out giving the series to someone else. If nothing else, let someone else pen the story.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 08:32:53 PM »

Sakamoto = George Lucas?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 12:03:03 PM »
To me Fusion was a bad Metroid game because it didn't deliver what I want from a Metroid game. Other M may be worse but I don't think it's the only mistake Sakamoto has made with that series.

Hell, even Zero Mission felt kinda lackluster for some reason. I don't really know why but I think a part is that I didn't even get the powerbombs before beating the game once and I didn't like the stealth sections or the "unknown item" stuff either.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 12:10:14 PM »
Sakamoto = George Lucas?
I was going to make this point. It's not necessarily a decline in quality as much as the limits of the earlier mediums forced the directors to focus on more important aspects. Once limitations were removed, the bad (even if originally envisioned) was able to seep in and the original good aspects weren't strong enough to counteract.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 06:45:20 PM »
I never thought I'd see the day where a Uwe Boll adaptation of a video game would be an improvement. Then I played Other M.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.