Author Topic: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - Over 1 Million Sold on Day 1  (Read 410675 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: PS4 - Officially Under Development (2014 release?)
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2012, 05:58:23 PM »
Any chance that the PS4 could be cartridge based like the Vita?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2012, 06:05:40 PM »

Not a chance, especially if Sony is still pushing Blu-Ray by the time the PS4 releases.  And considering most PS3 games don't use probably even half the space a Blu-Ray disc allows, I don't see Sony using a different format for their next console.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2012, 06:09:30 PM »

Not a chance, especially if Sony is still pushing Blu-Ray by the time the PS4 releases.  And considering most PS3 games don't use probably even half the space a Blu-Ray disc allows, I don't see Sony using a different format for their next console.

Isn't Blu-Ray losing ground against Netflix and other digital distributors? I just think that Sony is going to implement very strong anti-pracy measures on their next home console and I see cartridges as one towards those measures. How is the Vita doing in this respect?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2012, 06:18:15 PM »
Vita already got hacked to play Genesis games. It's only a matter of time before someone hacks it to play actual Vita games.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2012, 06:31:42 PM »

Sony should partner with Sega to create a cartridge based addon for the PS3.  This would help tide PS3 gamers over until the PS4 is released.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2012, 07:33:38 PM »
Isn't Blu-Ray losing ground against Netflix and other digital distributors?

No it's not, in fact Blu-ray Disc has for the last few months been increasing in sales faster than digital. Blu-ray was off to a slow start, but it's finally doing pretty well. It helps that most digitial versions don't look anywhere near as good as the Blu-ray versions (and often lack any bonus features). As for Netflix, after their debacle last year they lost something like 1 million subscribers (even more than they expected).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2012, 04:44:34 PM »
Honestly in my house getting the DVD isn't really an option anymore.  For what most of the time is maybe $10 I can get the Blu-Ray with better sound and picture and the DVD.

Most of the time the Blu-Ray is on sale and I can get it for the same as the DVD or very close.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2012, 04:44:22 AM »

Sony should partner with Sega to create a cartridge based addon for the PS3.  This would help tide PS3 gamers over until the PS4 is released.

Hmmm... the PS32X?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2012, 03:11:50 PM »
I imagine in the next 3 years there will be a cartridge alternative to blu ray that also fits in line with digital distribution, or at least space consolidation.  I fucking hate optical media, and I hope it goes away the sooner the better. I really need to buy more Disc Albums, **** takes up way too much space, and even if im careful, its too easy to scratch. I wonder how much space you could fit on something that uses sd card technology thats about he size of a 3.5 floppy disk and how many units would have to be manufactured to get each individual disk down to two dollars?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2012, 03:19:14 PM »
I wonder how much space you could fit on something that uses sd card technology thats about he size of a 3.5 floppy disk

We still haven't seen the limit of how much space could fit on an SD Micro, so I'm sure an SD the size of a floppy disc would probably have terabytes of storage potential. I think it would be overkill for gaming purposes, and probably expensive.
is your sanity...

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2012, 07:09:17 PM »
Better here than the rumor thread: Sony Computer Entertainment's CTO confirms in interview the earliest the PS4 will release is November 17, 2013.
Consumer technology giant Sony aims to give its next-generation gaming console an up to 10 year shelf-life, according to the CTO of its Computer Entertainment division, Maasaki Tsuruta, speaking exclusively to E&T. This is significantly longer than the market has seen historically, although the PlayStation 3 will be at least seven-years-old by the time its successor appears.
(emphasis added)

Source: Engineering and Technology Magazine interview.

No word on whether their plans may be accelerated by the existence of Xbox 420, or the fact that the year of the PS3 is still slated for 2015.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2012, 01:22:24 AM »
Could PS4 be at E3 2012?

is it possible Sony could have PS4 nearing completion and ready for release sometime within the next 12-18 months and not a single leak so far? what would you think if it's specs look a little like this

Technical Specs:
- 4+core 3+Ghz AMD-based CPU
- GCN Architecture GPU
- 2GB GDDR5

Featured more emphasized on Move at launch with games that have a Move/Kinect combo style of play, was aiming for an E3 2012 unveiling and a late 2012 launch in Japan (before E3 2013 at the latest) @ a price point of under $400.

What if this post isn't entirely speculation and Sony is actually prepared to surprise us all and hit the market, at the very latest, the same time as Xbox720? Would you believe it? Do you even think it's possible? I guess we'll have to wait till E3 to find out for sure....

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2012, 06:32:36 PM »
Better here than the rumor thread: Sony Computer Entertainment's CTO confirms in interview the earliest the PS4 will release is November 17, 2013.
Consumer technology giant Sony aims to give its next-generation gaming console an up to 10 year shelf-life, according to the CTO of its Computer Entertainment division, Maasaki Tsuruta, speaking exclusively to E&T. This is significantly longer than the market has seen historically, although the PlayStation 3 will be at least seven-years-old by the time its successor appears.
(emphasis added)

Source: Engineering and Technology Magazine interview.

No word on whether their plans may be accelerated by the existence of Xbox 420, or the fact that the year of the PS3 is still slated for 2015.

well it isn't so much that I care about how big it is, but I miss the form factor of 3.5 inch floppy disks. I could see sd and this non existing format working side by side. Sds are kinda small which makes them ideal for travel, but makes them harder to manipulate/organize and also easier to lose.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2012, 10:22:55 PM »
My beef with 3.5 inch floppies (aside from the fact they suck) is that they aren't really floppy at all. If you want a floppy disk that is actually floppy you need to go back to the big 5" floppies of the old days. They really lived up to the name, and you could even put them through a typewriter to type a label on them. That's the sort of media format that would be cool to have in this day and age. Imagine something exactly like that, but with the same capacity as SD cards.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2012, 12:28:25 AM »
We went to hard type of Medias for a reason.
Though I liked the old slot load cartridge CD's.  The ones you eventually had to get a special case for that made them like Floppies.  Your CD was actually protected in a permanent case that you didn't take off.  Neat way to do it.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 12:32:01 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2012, 05:02:12 AM »
"Vita already got hacked to play Genesis games. It's only a matter of time before someone hacks it to play actual Vita games." 

Yes and no, they found that they can still use an exploit of an psn game to gain access to some old BC psp files but they haven't cracked the vita completely, similar to the 3ds and ole ds hacks.  Both systems are still locked up pretty damn tight, 3dscrown or whatever they called themselves seem to be blowing smoke about hacking the 3ds because they been silent for the last 5 months or so.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2012, 05:23:02 AM »
No matter how secure you make your system it will be cracked eventually. In fact, the more secure it is the more it only encourages hackers because the more difficult it is the more prestige they have to gain by doing it. With hackers its all about prestige, because they don't really get paid to do what they do.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2012, 10:16:23 AM »
No matter how secure you make your system it will be cracked eventually. In fact, the more secure it is the more it only encourages hackers because the more difficult it is the more prestige they have to gain by doing it. With hackers its all about prestige, because they don't really get paid to do what they do.
The key though is to make the hack so difficult and time consuming that its actually a better investment just to  buy what you want.

When I was in college someone had hacked Java's Virtual Machine.  How they did it was by sticking a computer in an oven and getting a random bit flip in the memory from the heat.  I kid you not.  They hacked it.  Is it practical or useful.  No not really.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2012, 10:53:21 AM »
The key though is to make the hack so difficult and time consuming that its actually a better investment just to  buy what you want.

When I was in college someone had hacked Java's Virtual Machine.  How they did it was by sticking a computer in an oven and getting a random bit flip in the memory from the heat.  I kid you not.  They hacked it.  Is it practical or useful.  No not really.

That's my point. The hackers don't care about saving money or making money. They do it for the challenge and to make a name for themselves. That's why making it difficult and time consuming will not only not stop them, but instead encourage them.

The pirates are another story. They come along after the hackers have done the hard work and pick up the pieces. Hackers just do it for prestige, but the pirates latch onto their work because they want free ****.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 10:55:50 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2012, 11:22:54 AM »

That's my point. The hackers don't care about saving money or making money. They do it for the challenge and to make a name for themselves. That's why making it difficult and time consuming will not only not stop them, but instead encourage them.

The pirates are another story. They come along after the hackers have done the hard work and pick up the pieces. Hackers just do it for prestige, but the pirates latch onto their work because they want free ****.
The point is to make such a pain so when the pirates comes behind its just not worth it.

Hackers going to Hack.  No way around that.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
PS4 uMote Patent!?
« Reply #145 on: February 04, 2012, 01:48:01 PM »
Sony patent application shows control method that resembles Wii U
What Nintendoes Sony Copies?
http://venturebeat.com/2012/02/02/sony-patent-application-shows-control-method-that-resembles-wii-u/?

It looks like a Wii in a PS3 stand....

Sony filed for an interesting patent in 2010 that shows it has technology that resembles Nintendo’s upcoming Wii U game console. Titled Position-Dependent Gaming 3-D controller, and Handheld as a Remote, the patent shows that the game company is at the very least interested in a controller or mobile device with a built-in display to be used as an input device for a console game.

The concept is similar to the Wii U, which was unveiled at E3 last year. The device shows objects onscreen and interacts with the objects on  the television while acting as a controller. It suggest that the next-generation game consoles will embrace touchscreen tablets in a big way.

Below is a description of how the device is supposed to function:

Quote from: Patent
Methods and systems for using a position of a mobile device with an integrated display as an input to a video game or other presentation are presented. Embodiments include rendering an avatar on a mobile device such that it appears to overlay a competing user in the real world. Using the mobile device’s position, view direction, and the other user’s mobile device position, an avatar (or vehicle, etc.) is depicted at an apparently inertially stabilized location of the other user’s mobile device or body. Some embodiments may estimate the other user’s head and body positions and angles and reflect them in the avatar’s gestures.

The device is position-dependent, and the application only describes it as a “mobile device,” so it’s difficult to know whether it’s a handheld such as the PlayStation Vita or a separate game controller designed for a future console. Still, it’s only a patent application, and Sony may only be covering their bases for future control possibilities.

It has been said in the past that the PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 3 combination can do what Nintendo’s Wii U can do. Perhaps Sony was way ahead of us on that one.

Well since Nintendo wouldn't have revealed the uMote without proper patents in place, I can only assume that this patent was reactionary even though it was filed back in 2010.

And since it is "rumored" that Sony plans on unveiling something new this E3, I guess we can only wait to find out.

edit:
on a second reading it sounds more like a software patent than a Hardware patent, but I'm sure you guys remember the patent from last year about PSVita being used like a uMote
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP2359915A1.pdf

I'm sure it's in the PSVita thread somewhere, but I just linked it again.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:04:40 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2012, 02:24:09 PM »
If they filed this patent in 2010 how come no one posted anything about this until now?
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2012, 02:45:15 PM »
Probably because it was just published recently?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2012, 11:49:17 PM »
What is keeping that controller thing levitating in the air in the third picture? And why is it so damn huge? It looks like its larger than the man's torso. Is Sony trying to go for the Guiness world record for the largest levitating controller? Also, you can see the guys bones, so I assume there are some x-rays involved.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2012, 07:18:07 AM »
You have to have a stand to do the Man thing.  Which is described in there as mimic Kinect for all intents and purposes.

Also the Vita stuff is nothing but GBA to GCN connectivity.  uMote is the same excepts its a dedicated device.  PSP could do that stuff as well.