Author Topic: Why did Nintendo only produce one Mario Party for Wii U?  (Read 6858 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Why did Nintendo only produce one Mario Party for Wii U?
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2017, 12:50:25 PM »
That's the opposite of what I want and talked about. My favorite games are 5, 6, and 7 and those were annual iterations. When the series stopped being annual, that's when the games got rough. There was a 2 year gap between 3 and 4 and I find 4 a weak entry in the series. There was a 2 year gap between 7 and 8 and I found 8 to be so-so. There's been much longer gaps between 9 and 10 and it has not resulted in better games but rather the opposite. Can't comment on the handheld titles since I haven't played them at all. Moreover, the last thing I want from the Mario Party series are board maps requiring Amiibo to unlock. I'll stick with the past iterations if that is the future of the series.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2017, 05:44:16 PM »
Party games are a big hit around here. I have every console Mario Party, as well as two of the handheld ones (still need the 3DS ones) and even the e-Reader card game. MP 8 and 9 are our faves, with 7 being a third. I hope the Switch goes back to offering up some strong party games like the Wii did.

While I don't normally go for this sort of thing, I think it'd be neat if they offered a compilation Mario Party game which included all (or most) of the boards from every game, a selection of the best minigames from every game, and all of the characters and features that have been in each one. It would be the ultimate Mario Party, though that also means it would offer too much value for them to make it.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2017, 08:16:20 PM »
They could tier it by generation. Do a compilation of MP 1-3, then another of 4-6, and a final one of 7-9.

But honestly, MP 10 seems to be a flop, so it might be best to give the series a rest. My sister went to a party and they tried playing it and quickly decided to ditch their game and go back to Mario Kart and Smash. This was a group of gamer kids and many of them loved the old Mario Parties. They really seem to have lost their vision for the series.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2017, 08:28:17 PM »
Oh, so not this is going to be a Mario Party thread, is it?!

3 is the best because Battle Mode is the best. 2 is the second best because it's 3 without Battle Mode and stupid costumes.

The rest?

NEED.

NOT.

APPLY.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2017, 08:58:59 PM »
I didn't really want it to turn into one because I plan on doing a Run the Series entry for Mario Party games at some point but I just couldn't help responding further on the topic. Still, no reason we can't rehash all this again when that happens....

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2017, 02:53:28 PM »
Still, no reason we can't rehash all this again when that happens....

Just like the Mario Party developers amirite?!?!!?! Heeeeeeyoooooo up top!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2017, 07:22:43 PM »
3 is the best because Battle Mode is the best.
It could be because it was my first one, but Mario Party 3 is pretty awesome. It may be the most complete package of the bunch, with a great selection of boards, a good amount and variety of minigames, a very fleshed-out dual mode, and other nice features. The main reason it isn't currently one of my top picks is mostly because it's on the N64, so I can't really get people to play it like I can with Wii and Wii U. Funnily enough, if it were on the VC then I probably could play it again...!

Still, no reason we can't rehash all this again when that happens....
Oh you know I am so there for that!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2017, 08:34:58 PM »
Really? I thought 2 and 3 got VC releases, or was that just 2?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2017, 02:04:31 AM »
I don't recall 3 ever getting a release but 2 did. I also remember liking 3 a lot at the time. Never owned it. Had to rent it so its been well over a decade since I last played it but at the time the series kept getting better with each entry and 3 was tops. It brought in Waluigi thereby making the Mario Party games a legit series. I just remember that because 3 was so good it was another reason why 4 was such a disappointment. Having recently purchased 4 and replaying it a bit, I know I'm not wrong to call 4 lackluster.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2017, 04:32:15 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure why they never released MP 3 on VC. I think they've even put up Mario Party Advance and Mario Party DS, which I believe aren't even capable of multiplayer on Wii U.

Mario Party 4 must have suffered from being the first game they made on that system, still learning how to develop for GameCube. It not only has less features than MP 3 but it also has less minigames, and the items were a lot more limited and focused on mini and mega mushrooms. I wouldn't call it a terrible game, but compared to the rest of the series, it's one of the weakest entries.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2017, 05:50:00 PM »
I had the opportunity to play Mario Party 3 with friends of mine recently, having not played it in probably over a decade, and it really reinforced my belief that it was the best one.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent