Author Topic: This is why Resident Evil Wii will blow chunks (maybe)  (Read 7453 times)

Offline utarefsoN

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
This is why Resident Evil Wii will blow chunks (maybe)
« on: January 25, 2007, 07:32:57 AM »
This is a replica of my post on the wiire forums.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3156447

here is a paragraph from the article. Its best to read the whole thing though.

"My fascination with Tose began at the Tokyo Game Show in 1999. I was walking by the Capcom booth with a friend of mine deeply entrenched in the Japanese games industry. We checked out Resident Evil Gun Survivor, the Resident Evil offshoot for PlayStation that made use of the light gun. My friend turned to me and whispered "You know, this game wasn't actually developed by Capcom...it was done by a company called Tose. But you're not supposed to know that." It certainly seemed plausible -- as anyone who's played the Gun Survivor games knows, they weren't quite up to standards set by the main Resident Evil games -- but how was it possible that this developer was working on the game and Capcom was passing it off as its own? And how was it that no one else knew about this? "

Fascinating, now we know why the bootleg versions (what people call spinoffs) are junk and the Main games of RE rock generally. This is why i want RE5 damnit and not what ever crap were gettin. We all know damn well RE5 is developed in house by Capcom but i seriously doubt the "Cronicles" RE were gettin will be.  

I found it fascinating that a lot of companies do this including NIntendo. Very intersting article i thought.

Discuss as you wish.

Peace Nosferatu  

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: This is why Resident Evil Wii will blow chunks (maybe)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 07:40:52 AM »
I thought we already accepted that Capcom hates money and prefers to support dying consoles and those that will never earn them any respect in Japan?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:This is why Resident Evil Wii will blow chunks (maybe)
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 07:44:21 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I thought we already accepted that Capcom hates money and prefers to support dying consoles and those that will never earn them any respect in Japan?

Are you describing Capcom or Sega... I can't tell.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 07:48:15 AM »
Well I read that RE Wii is a proper RE game like RE 5 is, but I don't know if that means it's a canon title, or just plays like a normal RE game.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 07:53:11 AM »

Originally posted by: nitsu niflheim
Well I read that RE Wii is a proper RE game like RE 5 is, but I don't know if that means it's a canon title, or just plays like a normal RE game.

It's supposed to be set in between Veronica and 4, so it will probably deal with the fall of Umbrella, which was only mentioned in passing at the start of the 4th game. It's being produced by Masachika Kawata, aka the guy who did the port of RE4 to the PS2... so my hopes aren't that high sadly.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 08:19:29 AM »
TIME TO SINK THIS SHIP
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mode7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 08:38:47 AM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

Originally posted by: nitsu niflheim

It's supposed to be set in between Veronica and 4, so it will probably deal with the fall of Umbrella, which was only mentioned in passing at the start of the 4th game. It's being produced by Masachika Kawata, aka the guy who did the port of RE4 to the PS2... so my hopes aren't that high sadly.

If you're implying that the PS2 RE4 "sucked" in any way due to misdirection by Masachika Kawata, then you're wrong. The only inferiorities were all hardware-based or -limited. Loading times took longer just because the PS2 is simply like that. The graphics and visuals took a slight punch in the gut simply because the PS2 has a weaker CPU. Lighting effects and related  suchedness were combed down for the same reason. So I don't see why you would blame that guy for the PS2 RE4 port being bad.

But that's under my assumption that you're blaming him for that anyhow.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 08:50:01 AM »
I think he was implying that the future doesn't look bright because it's produced by the guy in charge of a port.  I don't know the man's previous work, but if he's not involved in anything original there's little reason to believe he'll come up with something wonderful for a new game.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 09:04:59 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu
I think he was implying that the future doesn't look bright because it's produced by the guy in charge of a port.  I don't know the man's previous work, but if he's not involved in anything original there's little reason to believe he'll come up with something wonderful for a new game.

Bingo... it sounded better to say "the guy who did the port of RE4 to the PS2" as opposed to "the guy who did the CG Camera work for Dino Crisis 3" also.

He has stepped up the ladder, I will give him that, but nothing in his resumé would convince someone he's ready to take on the production of a new, original game. The port of RE4 is his only producer credit so far, as far as I can tell. Hell, he could be super talented, and this will be his first game to really shine on... or he could be awful. Either way, not exactly hopeful at this stage to see someone like Kawata assigned the project.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 09:35:11 AM »
"I thought we already accepted that Capcom hates money and prefers to support dying consoles and those that will never earn them any respect in Japan?"

Exactly.  Why else do you think they supported the Cube? *swish*

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 03:47:26 PM »
I thought that when they said that.  And it certainally puts a big question mark when the person only has a port under his belt because most of the work was already done or him to add on the new missions. And porting is just in most cases removing the parts made to make it run on the Gamecube and replace them for that of the PS2. (Then tweaking it) Making an entire new game is a different story.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 03:52:00 PM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

Originally posted by: vudu

Bingo... it sounded better to say "the guy who did the port of RE4 to the PS2" as opposed to "the guy who did the CG Camera work for Dino Crisis 3" also.

He has stepped up the ladder, I will give him that, but nothing in his resumé would convince someone he's ready to take on the production of a new, original game. The port of RE4 is his only producer credit so far, as far as I can tell. Hell, he could be super talented, and this will be his first game to really shine on... or he could be awful. Either way, not exactly hopeful at this stage to see someone like Kawata assigned the project.

Everyone who is big in the industry isnt magically given the power and the reputation.  This IS his big break so I think we need to cut some slack until we see some gamplay details and some direct feeds of the game.  A new guy deserves to get his break in the industry truly.  I think he can make the game shine as long as there is an experienced person on the team whos their to sort of mentor him sort of like what Myamoto is doing right now for other developers.  

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 04:00:53 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"I thought we already accepted that Capcom hates money and prefers to support dying consoles and those that will never earn them any respect in Japan?"

Well if to be in the process of dying means to near one's death, then everything--GameCube included--is technically dying since birth. That point is moot.

Also, the GameCube would gain them more respect in Japan than, say, the Xbox would. Therefore, choosing to release games on the Cube shows an increased love of money than releasing them on the Xbox.

CAPCOM LOVES MONEYS =D  
Thanks for listening.

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 05:29:08 PM »
I think it's worth pointing out that what largely made RE4 so damn great was it's insistence on gidding rid of what didn't work and adopting anything new that did. I don't want a return to the old RE universe in all honesty. I mean that in regards to both gameplay and storyline.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 05:36:21 PM »
I just want to say, that this thread is stupid, since we haven't seen ANYTHING on this game...and we are already judging it.  GREAT thinking guys.

Now, I have never played a Resident Evil game, because I hate scary games...I get too stressed and can't play them.  However, I do respect the games, and the Resident Evil series has a great mythology and history that will be great to revisit...and not revisit as in the make Resident Evil 1 AGAIN...but as in, see what happened to the world and the characters that is unsettled.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 06:03:09 PM »
Isn't this thread really about the eye-opening realization that this ghost company Tose has made a lot of games that other devs take credit for, even our beloved Nintendo? Super Princess Peach says hi. They even developed DQ: Rocket Slime. I think that's absolutely insane and I want to see the full list of games they've made. It'll never happen though.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 06:09:36 PM »
Tose is an outsourcing company, they are hardly the only one out there. There's the likes of Massive Black and Liquid in the US though they usually only make parts of games, not the whole game. I'd also suspect that they're still under heavy supervision by the company that hired them so if e.g. Activision hired Tose the result would still suck.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 06:27:13 PM »

Arbok wrote:
He has stepped up the ladder, I will give him that, but nothing in his resumé would convince someone he's ready to take on the production of a new, original game.

A valid point. At the same time, Miyamoto was hired as an artist. I'm not comparing Masachika Kawata to Miyamoto, I'm just saying for argument's sake that you can't count anyone out.

And whoever handles Umbrella Chronicles would have to go out of their way to make a bad game after RE4 set such a good example.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 06:37:41 PM »
Plus the remote is just perfect for aiming.. if it has a fixed camera Capcom really screwed up.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2007, 01:29:33 AM »
Japanese name is "Gun Survivor 4: Biohazard - Heroes Never Die"
It was always a clear spinoff, much like Pokemon: mystery dungeon

If anything, its Capcom America's fault for dubbing it with a sequal style name

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2007, 03:27:46 AM »
I'll tell you why this game's gonna blow. It's because ALL RESIDENT EVIL GAMES (except 4) blew huge chunks.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 03:44:59 AM »
Blowing large chunks is what you do in games that involve zombies, duh!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 04:50:41 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane

Well, yeah, there was the GC, but right now, I mean support for the PSP and 360, one of which is dying and the other doesn't have an established userbase of over 500k in Japan despite being out for a year.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2007, 05:04:13 AM »
Two words.  Or rather, one name:

ADA.  WONG.

Woo!  The game can't be sucky now!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2007, 05:07:17 AM »
Well Capcom supports the 360 mainly for the healthy American and European market and the Japanese can be considered a bonus to them and hey more Japanese support in any way helps Microsoft's Japan situation even if its a little stepping stone. PSP is also a easy market because while its considered a dying portable it still has a fairly large and starving userbase and quick and easy ports/remakes will lure in that crowd.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.