Author Topic: Nintendo Sales Panic: September 2015 US NPD Group Results  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Nintendo Sales Panic: September 2015 US NPD Group Results
« on: October 19, 2015, 11:35:33 PM »

Super Mario Maker off to a flying start.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/41335/nintendo-sales-panic-september-2015-us-npd-group-results

Following a slight delay for database upgrades, the September US sales estimates are out from the NPD group and Super Mario Maker performed up to expectations.

The early September release sold approximately 445,000 copies in the US during the NPD reporting period (Sept 11 - Oct 3), and has sold over 500,000 copies life to date in the US (physical and digital) according to a Nintendo statement. The Wii U sold through about 85,000 units in September as a result, doubling August's sales. Disney Infinity 3.0 was the other Nintendo game to chart in a month of sports domination, coming in at #7 on the combined formats top 10, and the Wii U version was the second best seller behind the Xbox 360 version.

3DS sales are still up compared to the first nine months of last year, selling through approximately 125,000 units in September following the limited launch of the smaller New 3DS. The month's big release for the platform, Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer, sold through 115,000 copies (combined) during its first week of sales.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Sales Panic: September 2015 US NPD Group Results
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 02:22:06 PM »
People are liking Happy Home Designer more than I thought.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 04:31:24 PM »
Some people just want to decorate houses like they do on the TV. Nice to see Super Mario Maker doing okay.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 06:35:02 PM »
Plus, people are collecting those cards. I wonder what sales figures for those might look like.

Offline sudoshuff

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 09:51:14 PM »
Do we have a physical/digital breakdown of those sales numbers?  I am so confused because, whenever I'm at a store*, I see people buying games in the Xbox aisle and Playstation aisle, but the Nintendo aisle is a barren wasteland.  Does everyone buy 3DS and Wii U games digitally or what?

*Granted, this is a terrible data point.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 11:33:01 PM »
Do we have a physical/digital breakdown of those sales numbers?  I am so confused because, whenever I'm at a store*, I see people buying games in the Xbox aisle and Playstation aisle, but the Nintendo aisle is a barren wasteland.  Does everyone buy 3DS and Wii U games digitally or what?

*Granted, this is a terrible data point.

NPD numbers don't include digital sales, so these figures don't include any eShop (or PSN or Xbox Live) purchases.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 06:36:33 AM »
Weird thing is, Nintendo's numbers are both.

But we can assume a high 300s-low 400s for Mario Maker given what we know. (And now you know why the image for every NPD post since April has been Numberwang.)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.