2 (18.2%)
1 or 2 here or there
4 (36.4%)
A couple here and there.
1 (9.1%)
6 or more.
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: poll: How many Wii U ports have you double dipped on?  (Read 4532 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
poll: How many Wii U ports have you double dipped on?
« on: February 06, 2021, 12:46:04 AM »
So how many Wii U ports have y'all double dipped on? I have BOTW, Assassin's Creed 4, Lego City Undercover, Rayman Legends, NSMBU, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, TMS, and pretty soon I'll have 3D World.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is the last game I'm likely to double dip on though if it comes over. The Zelda remakes work too well with the gamepad, Pikmin 3 works too well with the Wii Pointer, and everything else just isn't something I feel strongly enough about to want to buy again.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: poll: How many Wii U ports have you double dipped on?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 07:31:19 AM »
I will be buying Super Mario 3D World next week, and beyond that just going down my Switch's home screen I have:

New Super Mario Bros. U
Pikmin 3
Captain Toad
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Mario Kart 8
Rayman Legends

not to mention 10 or 20 indies that I've bought on both. I have a problem
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 12:20:39 PM »
    I think there are just four for me:
    • Mario Kart 8 - This was a combination of Switch hype, battle mode, and wanting to play online with others.
    • Shantae Half-Genie Hero - I wanted to play the DLC and it costs less to buy the special edition on Switch than the DLC on Wii U.
    • Runbow - I picked the Switch version up using gold coins one day when it was on sale. I still haven't touched it  :-[
    • Guacamelee! - I wanted to play the sequel and ended up buying the One-Two punch collection, so I technically double-dipped on the first game.
    In terms of future ports, I would probably buy an HD Metroid Prime collection. Since I have that as a Wii VC game on my Wii U I suppose that would count as well.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 01:38:42 PM »
None of the major ports (yet?), their price point is way too high for games I've already played. But since nobody had a Wii U, their audience is obviously other people, and I'm glad the great games from that system are getting another chance in the limelight. I understand the double dip argument for convenience's sake too.

Gaming on Nintendo systems is rarely the cheapest option, but they've really hiked their prices across the board this cycle: hardware and accessories are premium priced, online is paid now, there's no Player's Choice equivalent (yet?), and most of their software moved to $60.

That said, there are some things I bought previously on virtual console which are now in the NES/SNES apps, such as Metroid, Super Metroid, and a few more. Could see myself getting the Xenoblade 1 Remake one day, and ditching that virtual console copy, since it seems significantly updated and a lot shorter thanks to QOL improvements. I would probably consider Bowser's Fury too, if that was sold separately for $20, but not at 60.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 04:08:04 PM »
Hyrule Warriors is probably the easiest Switch port to recommend. It doesn't add much that wasn't already in the 3DS version but it is far and away the best version of the package as a whole and if you haven't played the 3DS version there's plenty of new content to sink your teeth into. Plus it performs well unlike a certain other Zelda musou game and is generally a hoot.

Rayman Legends is a close second for how it handles the Murphy Levels. You actually get to play the murphy stages in single player instead of poking away at the touch screen while the game plays it for you and those are literally half of the game.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 07:15:19 PM »
Honestly, not as many as I thought.
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero
I would have bought Bayonetta 1 and 2, but Nintendo pulled that half cart/half download nonsense, and I can't sanction those shenanigans. I will probably get Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury. I'm contemplating getting it on Friday though I suspect trying to get the next set of Mario Pins will just be Pin Fiasco Part II - The Reckoning. If Nintendo releases Xenoblade Chronicles X on Switch, I'll pick that up and pretend I'll play it. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD has Switch port written all over it. I'll double dip on that immediately.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 08:25:13 PM »
I don't have as many as I initially thought, but I do have a few that I'm not sure I had on Wii U.  I have Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which is a #NoRegerts buy since that's one I've played a few times in person with people.  I also got Captain Toad after Walmart accidentally sold digital copies of the game for $4. 

That being said, I have Shantae, but I'm not sure if I had it on WiiU.  I also plan on getting 3D World +.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 12:24:27 AM »
Ports I owned on Wii U
Mario Kart 8
Lego City Undercover
Hyrule Warriors
Minecraft
Pikmin 3
Assassins Creed Black Flag

Ports I owned on Wii
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Swords & Soldiers
Okami
Super Mario 3D All Stars (Wii)

Ports I owned on other systems
The World Ends with You (DS)
Super Mario 3D All Stars (N64/GC)
Turok (N64)
Monster Hunter Generations (3DS)
Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles (GC)

I...own a lot more than I thought. And I can think of many more I plan to pick up one sale down the road. Guess I like having the portability and easy availability to play these without pulling out old systems.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 12:35:51 AM »
I have purchased these:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Pikmin 3 Deluxe
Captain Toad
LEGO City Undercover
Minecraft
Hyrule Warriors
DKC: Tropical Freeze
Rayman Legends (for the third time...ha)
New Super Mario Bros. U DX
Pokken Tournament DX (forgot this one)

Pretty much everything Nintendo-published save for Tokyo Mirage Sessions, which I will probably get, too.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 06:49:49 PM by Phil »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 01:52:57 PM »
Mario Kart 8
Tropical Freeze
New Super Mario Bros U
Pokken Tournament

I regret nothing! My kids got a little older and were interested in those older titles as well so the money was well spent.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 05:00:05 PM »
I've got ports of games I'd never bought before on an earlier system like Pokken Tournament, FF7, World of Goo. However, the only double dips I actually have are:

Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

Both BotW and MK8 were part of the 7 games I received when I bought my system secondhand. If I hadn't gotten them that way then I really doubt they'd be in library today. Just hardly play them. XC is the first port I deliberately went out of my way to get and wanted and I think it was worth it too. Maybe I'll sell off my Wii copy and make it more it of a double dip instead of triple dip since I also have the 3DS version.

Other than that, no major plans to buy any other ports. 3D World is the only other port so far which has made me consider it. The idea of playing 3D World with multiplayer would make it different than the single player only way I completed it in 2016. Moreover, Bowser's Fury is something I'd really like to try and play but not sure the length of it would justify full price. At the same time, 3D World didn't really impress that much when I played it through. It has some fun moments and levels here and there but I played it and finished it more so that I could once again be a gamer, like my younger self, who has played and completed all the Mario platformers that have been released rather than from the game creating enthusiasm to make me want to keep playing.

Like pokepal148 mentions in the opening post, Xenoblade Chronicles X is the only other Wii U title I'd consider doing a double dip on. However, that has some caveats. As I'm currently trying to play through the game now, I'm not sure how eager I'd be to pick it up very soon. If it was announced very soon than I might be willing to just stop where I'm at on the Wii U and wait for the Switch version. Playing XCX after XC:DE, it's clear there is some work that could be done to improve X. Unfortunately, there are some aspects which seem baked in the game that I don't think can be solved in any remaster. However, anything that can be done to improve the experience would definitely make me consider it. If it's just a straight port than I'm not sure I'd bother.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 05:07:32 PM »
Went through my Wii U games and I was wrong. There are a few other games I would double dip on if ported to Switch:

Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival, Mighty No. 9 and Just Dance 2015. Let's make it happen already developers!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 06:47:44 PM »
Out of Nintendo's games, I just have Captain Toad, which I got from the same Walmart blunder that Nickmitch mentioned. I wouldn't have gotten it otherwise however. I'll be getting Super Mario 3D World next week, which I got a decent deal on, and will probably sell my Wii U disc for whatever peanuts it fetches at this point.

Beyond that, I have Minecraft since they stopped updating the Wii U version when the new Switch one released. I also have Terraria since they never bothered to finish the Wii U version, which was a bummer and I wish I knew that before I bought it.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2021, 07:31:13 PM »
Also, what kind of terrible poll is this?

1 or 2 here or there
A couple here and there.
6 or more.

The first and second options seem to be the same. Moreover, why so vague with here or there added? What's wrong with 1 - 2, 3 - 5, and 6+ as options or however you want to divide it up? I don't know which option to choose. I feel like the first because I did get a couple ports here and one port there but maybe it should be the second since I've got 3 and the first option only shows the numbers 1 and 2. What a wishy-washy poll!! Who is responsible for this travesty of survey sentences stopping scientific study?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 09:25:06 PM »
I've got ports of games I'd never bought before on an earlier system like Pokken Tournament, FF7, World of Goo.

I almost counted those, but it didn't seem to jive with the intent of the thread. I'm sure folks would agree that most of the ports are great and desirable games on their own merit, so it makes sense to buy them on the new system instead of the old for the typical extra features and content as well as the expected improved performance. The only reason it would be preferred to buy the older title would be for the possible lower price of a discounted older system or for collectors sake.

Do others feel the same way or am I being too picky with the terms?
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2021, 09:55:03 PM »
I've got ports of games I'd never bought before on an earlier system like Pokken Tournament, FF7, World of Goo.

I almost counted those, but it didn't seem to jive with the intent of the thread. I'm sure folks would agree that most of the ports are great and desirable games on their own merit, so it makes sense to buy them on the new system instead of the old for the typical extra features and content as well as the expected improved performance. The only reason it would be preferred to buy the older title would be for the possible lower price of a discounted older system or for collectors sake.

Do others feel the same way or am I being too picky with the terms?

I think the point of the thread is about buying games multiple times, so picking up one you missed the first time around doesn't count. Nintendo ported all these games over because they're good games that were previously stuck on a system nobody owned, the whole point was to appeal to people who never previously played them.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2021, 10:43:45 PM »
So far I haven't bought any of Nintendo's Wii U ports but there's several I will buy when they eventually drop in price.  I was going to get the upcoming Mario 3D World port for Bowser's Fury, but when I read it's only about 3-6 hours to complete, I decided I'll wait for a price cut.  I mean I really want to play Bower's Fury because it looks great, but not enough to justify $60 on.

Basically I'm waiting for these games to drop below $30 before I buy.

Breath of the Wild
Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
New Super Mario Bros U
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
Captain Toad

Of course there's also Pokken and Tokyo Mirage Season which I might get someday as well.  I own both on Wii U but still have yet to play them so I really need to get to that one of these days and I see if I like them enough to wait until there Switch versions become cheap enough as well for the extra content.

The only Wii U game I've re-bought so far is Shovel Knight because it was on sale for half off I never played the DLC with Spector and King knight which I think I'd have to pay extra for on the Wii U version, so the Switch version was a good deal since all the DLC was included.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2021, 10:21:23 AM »
Just Mario Kart 8 from the WiiU.

Had bought Zombie Panic in Wonderland thinking it was a Wii port but turns out it's the PSP port(no motion controls). 
Mission...complete?

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2021, 12:15:37 PM »
I'll be getting Super Mario 3D World next week, which I got a decent deal on, and will probably sell my Wii U disc for whatever peanuts it fetches at this point.
It goes for about $15 CIB Link to Price Charting. Even brand new, it only fetches abut $35. This reminded me that this is a Nintendo Selects title so you can still pick it up on the eShop for $20. I wonder if they will remove that listing  ???.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2021, 02:57:42 PM »
If 3D World's online multiplayer is remotely functional than I'd say it's one of the more substantial Switch ports.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2021, 08:15:41 AM »
If 3D World's online multiplayer is remotely functional than I'd say it's one of the more substantial Switch ports.

That might tempt me. I have the original but never got around to finishing it. Online co-op could help me along.
Mission...complete?

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2021, 02:19:08 PM »
I also have Terraria since they never bothered to finish the Wii U version, which was a bummer and I wish I knew that before I bought it.

In what way is that version unfinished? Does it not run at all, or just missing some features introduced in other versions?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2021, 02:43:22 PM »

That might tempt me. I have the original but never got around to finishing it. Online co-op could help me along.

A buddy wants to pick it up to play together so if he gets it it definitely changes my plans on waiting.
My Game Collection

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2021, 02:48:19 PM »
The old console versions stopped getting updates because of technical limitations. Terraria is a very RAM demanding game and between the fact that Wii U's RAM is relatively slow and the fact that it's the Wii U and one of the big last updates came out last year I can see why they cut it off.

I believe the old console versions actually have some exclusive enemies and an exclusive boss or something weird like that.

But if you have a PC with around 4-8gb of RAM it can probably run Terraria and Terraria is always better on PC. It's no contest.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 03:13:40 PM by pokepal148 »