Author Topic: Mistwalker's "The Last Story" out in NA via XSEED!  (Read 171724 times)

Offline Invincible Donkey Kong

• DK Crew. HUH!
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Mistwalker's new RPG "The Last Story" coming to Wii in 2010
« Reply #150 on: July 10, 2010, 10:41:46 PM »
No fences, but discussing one's opinion about the graphics of a game definitely belongs in this thread.

There's nothing wrong with only owning a Wii (of current gen).  It's just a fact that if you do own one of the HD consoles and are looking for an RPG, you can most likely find an (at least) equally as good game that looks infinitely better graphically.

That's why I doubt I'll be picking this game up any time soon (possibly ever).

Great, let's compare graphics.

Why can't Final Fantasy XIII do grass and huge, open worlds to explore when Xenoblade on Wii can?  Oh, oh, oh, what?  I can't hear you behind that reek of PS3 fanboyism.  :reggie:
Buy Zap's perler bead art!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/NewDonkCityVending

Operation: Get Zap a Switch GoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/get-zap-a-switch

Summer of Donk ~ 2017 Twitch meetups! ~ DKC2
https://www.twitch.tv/zapr2k

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2010, 02:00:57 AM »
No fences, but discussing one's opinion about the graphics of a game definitely belongs in this thread.

There's nothing wrong with only owning a Wii (of current gen).  It's just a fact that if you do own one of the HD consoles and are looking for an RPG, you can most likely find an (at least) equally as good game that looks infinitely better graphically.

Why can't Final Fantasy XIII do grass and huge, open worlds to explore when Xenoblade on Wii can?  Oh, oh, oh, what?  I can't hear you behind that reek of PS3 fanboyism.  :reggie:

This is why I think Final Fantasy 15 will be a wii, or in some cases, a 3DS exclusive.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2010, 03:45:05 AM »
I think the trailer looks great.

I haven't been following the game and I really wasn't expecting a battle system like this, it has me interested.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #153 on: July 11, 2010, 12:15:13 PM »

Because obviously the Wii is more powerful than the PS3. You proved it.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 11, 2010, 12:30:41 PM »

I'm confident that Wii screenshot is wildly enhanced.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

• DK Crew. HUH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2010, 04:54:07 PM »
I'm confident that Wii screenshot is wildly enhanced.

Funny, because it's not.  Unless you are talking anti-aliasing, which has no actual bearing on the visuals being portrayed in those screens.  :reggie:

Because obviously the Wii is more powerful than the PS3. You proved it.

The point is that even games on consoles with "less sophisticated" tech like Wii can look better and produce more satisfying experiences than those on more powerful systems.  Your pathetic "Hurp durp, I can buy prettier looking games on my PS3 so I'll never get this game" really says a lot about you.  I mean honestly, let's look at this comment again. 

I mean, wow.  You couldn't show yourself to be any less of a gamer here.  You completely disregard everything the game has shown and has yet to show (battle system, characters, story, etc, etc) on the SOLE basis of visuals.  SOLE.  BASIS.  You are embarrassing.  How dare you even consider yourself a "gamer," and the rest of you should be ashamed of yourselves for not abashing him for it.  :reggie:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 04:56:17 PM by ReggieFA »

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #156 on: July 11, 2010, 05:20:17 PM »
Firstly, I hope everyone here realizes that this is Bill talking and that he didn't really "quit" the forums.

That said, we can look at exactly what i said there.  The key word there is "doubt."

That is me observing the fact that I will still give the game a chance.  But I also think it's a relatively safe assumption that this particular RPG will not have any great new mechanics that make it stand above other games in the genre.

Hence my statement "you can most likely find an (at least) equally as good game)..."

So, if we look at my statement there, what I am claiming is that I don't expect this game to feature any mechanics that make it one of the best RPGs available.  That is probably a safe assumption.  Combine that with the fact that I don't have the time to play every RPG out there... In fact, I don't have the time to play 5% of the games out there... when looking at two games that have equally rewarding mechanics, one of which looks substantially better, and I own every system already... why on earth would I pick up the Wii one.

If you call that the SOLE BASIS of visuals, whatever.  It's OK if you don't think I'm a gamer.  It's also OK if you think I have it out for Nintendo for some reason.

Honestly... one of us needs to grow up here.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 11, 2010, 05:25:02 PM »
How many RPGs on the PS3 or 360 have great new mechanics that make them stand above other games in the genre? Most of the games I can think of that have done that this generation are on the DS, which is significantly weaker than any other current platform.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #158 on: July 11, 2010, 05:30:19 PM »
True enough. I mean, when we get to that point, it's all subjective anyway. I love the mechanics in FF 13... other people don't.

I've said it before... I personally play RPGs to get a low stress cinematic experience that comes with highly rewarding player growth.

FF 13s difficulty wasn't too high. The computer dork in me appreciates the way the paradigms work with some basic AI.  Player growth is rewarding because it changes that AI and you immediately see the new moves you learn.

Kingdom Hearts is another favorite of mine.  The actual battle system in that is glorified button mashing, and I realize that.  However, I'm a sap for both Disney and Square, so a mash-up hits me in all the right places.

I also enjoyed Blue Dragon recently.  That one was a lot of fun because the extremely traditional battle system and cool job system allowed for interesting character growth.  I also loved the visual style (I actually like Toriyama).
---------------------

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #159 on: July 11, 2010, 05:32:15 PM »
And I am substantially interested in Xenoblade.  It is colorful, bright, and really looks like it will be an interesting experience.

The first trailer for Last Story just looks like a dingey, stale, button mashy, action RPG.  I realize I'm jumping to conclusions based on one trailer, but isn't that what we do when we discuss it?
---------------------

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 11, 2010, 06:30:12 PM »
And I am substantially interested in Xenoblade.  It is colorful, bright, and really looks like it will be an interesting experience.

The first trailer for Last Story just looks like a dingey, stale, button mashy, action RPG.  I realize I'm jumping to conclusions based on one trailer, but isn't that what we do when we discuss it?

The parts of the video where the main character is walking through a town past pedestrians looks almost like an HD game. Could Mistwalker port over Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon for the wii?

• DK Crew. HUH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 11, 2010, 07:28:21 PM »
So, if we look at my statement there, what I am claiming is that I don't expect this game to feature any mechanics that make it one of the best RPGs available.  That is probably a safe assumption.  Combine that with the fact that I don't have the time to play every RPG out there... In fact, I don't have the time to play 5% of the games out there... when looking at two games that have equally rewarding mechanics, one of which looks substantially better, and I own every system already... why on earth would I pick up the Wii one.

Assumptions, assumptions.  How can you even qualify "equally rewarding mechanics" for a game that has shown one trailer, especially for a genre that has a ridiculous amount of variety in battle mechanics?  And no, it's not "your obligation" to be a Debbie Downer and flop in with a "Gonna go buy a PS3 game instead, because it's clear that this game can't top it."  That's not discussion; that's trolling, plain and simple.  And if you don't have time to play Wii games anymore (because I'm pretty sure every genre on Wii has touched PS3 by now, and why play any Wii games when you have a PS3!), then you shouldn't even have a Wii, and most certainly shouldn't be a moderator on a Nintendo fan site.

If you call that the SOLE BASIS of visuals, whatever.

You said it, not me.  There's absolutely no other way to take what you said.  Making up reasons to justify your troll (I still can't get over "equally-rewarding mechanics") doesn't cut it.  Especially when you vehemently defend a game that DISCARDS features that fans of the RPG genre have come to expect over the years.  :reggie:

It's also OK if you think I have it out for Nintendo for some reason.

Honestly... one of us needs to grow up here.

If I didn't know better, it's almost as if you are putting words in my mouth, because I didn't say anything about you having a thing against Nintendo.  So yeah, one of us DOES need to grow up here.  :reggie:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 07:36:56 PM by ReggieFA »

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 11, 2010, 07:45:02 PM »
"So yeah, one of us DOES need to grow up here.    "  LOL-- do I even need to comment on this?

Love how "certain" people on these forums jump up on down on people's opinions.  Just because someone owns another console doesn't make that person a troll.

You might want to switch to decaff. 

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 11, 2010, 09:09:48 PM »
Ugh you know this is why I haven't posted in a long time and just sorta lurked around for months.

A thread will start up about a Wii game and people will get excited when it shows promise, and then suddenly somebody has to show up and be Captain Killjoy and it's almost always the same group of people.

It's like you need permission from the Fan Police to be excited, which just sucks, period.

About that Xenoblade/FF13 picture.  I think it's amazing that they even look similar, which says either a lot about the untapped power of the Wii or of the horrible graphic designs of  FF13 that says we need this giant ugly elephant on screen but the ground texture can be from Quake 1.

Anyway, this thread wasn't about system wars until a certain somebody MADE it about system wars because Kytim89 thought that Last Story looked like a PS3 game.. oh wait did he actually say that?

After watching the trailer for this game and witnessing the sheer  beauty of it, I am convinced that anything is now possible on the wii  if the developer is willing to put up the effort. It seems like wii  games are getting better and such games as this one, Monster Hunter 3  and SMG 2 help prove my point.

So it wasn't even about System Wars at all until that certain somebody just labeled him a "Wii-only owner" like that has anything to do with what he said.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 11, 2010, 09:42:23 PM »
"So yeah, one of us DOES need to grow up here.    "  LOL-- do I even need to comment on this?

Love how "certain" people on these forums jump up on down on people's opinions.  Just because someone owns another console doesn't make that person a troll.

You might want to switch to decaff. 

There are certainly threads on this forum in which you would have a good point, but not this one. Pale went over the line here; like Deg pointed out, he's the one who took the thread in this direction, and he's arguing against an opinion that he himself raised.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 11, 2010, 09:49:47 PM »
Boo at the discussion happening. Boo. Seriously.

It's a fact that the PS3 is, specification wise, ahead of the Wii. That does not mean better games for either. End of disscusion.

Whether, or not, the developers making games for each platform choose to add more detail to their creations is unconnected from such hardware disparity.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 11, 2010, 10:25:13 PM »
I'm just going to stop and take in for a moment the irony in the Nintendo Loyalist Brigade, after spending years denigrating the HD consoles for so-called "brown shading" now praising the art style of a Wii game that for all intents and purposes uses brown shading.

For the record, since I have a feeling I'm getting lumped into categories around here, I don't give a damn anymore that the Wii can't do such and such technical specs.  I don't call this game "ugly" because it's missing so-and-so shaders or 1 billion polygon models.  I call the game ugly (as far as we see in the trailer) because the art style just turns me off.  Gameplay-wise, maybe the game will be stellar.  Maybe not.  It's too early to tell (though so far it reminds me of some weird hybrid of Gears of War and Rogue Galaxy), which is why I'm looking forward to seeing this game later on during the localization process.  So far, though, I'm troubled by the lack of anything truly noteworthy about the game besides it being on the Wii.  When you have the creator of Final Fantasy at the helm, I kind of have high expectations that the game will stand out among the hundreds of Japanese RPGs that have come before it.  I don't know...maybe I'm just cynical after playing Japanese games (especially JRPGs) for over 20 years now, and (aside from a select few that just happen to be on the HD consoles) they all seem the same now.  I can only hope that this game comes together and flourishes as it approaches release.

*goes back to playing through his first playthrough of Mass Effect.*   ;)
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 11, 2010, 10:27:19 PM »
If this Xenoblade picture is indicative that wii games are catching up to the PS3 not in performance, but in style or quality proves that the wii is evolving into something that may soon match the HD consoles if the wii 2 does not emerge soon. I see it this way, the can longer be considered a last generation system, but a hybrid between SD and HD.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 11, 2010, 11:11:45 PM »
I'm just going to stop and take in for a moment the irony in the  Nintendo Loyalist Brigade, after spending years denigrating the HD  consoles for so-called "brown shading" now praising the art style of a  Wii game that for all intents and purposes uses brown shading.

And what's your point?  Fanboys exist somewhere on the internet?  Why don't you discuss the topic with the people in the thread rather than shadows in the corner?

Can we get this thread back on track, please?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 12, 2010, 12:32:55 AM »
I'm just going to stop and take in for a moment the irony in the  Nintendo Loyalist Brigade, after spending years denigrating the HD  consoles for so-called "brown shading" now praising the art style of a  Wii game that for all intents and purposes uses brown shading.

And what's your point?  Fanboys exist somewhere on the internet?  Why don't you discuss the topic with the people in the thread rather than shadows in the corner?

Can we get this thread back on track, please?

I just find it amazing how quickly opinions about something on the other consoles change as soon as it comes to the Wii, especially from people on these forums.  And I've said as much as I care to say about this game.  Considering this is technically my topic, you can just deal with that.

But yes, I'm all for discussing the actual game, though there's only so much you can gleam from this trailer.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 12, 2010, 01:12:46 AM »
Well now that you're done derailing your own topic...

I've actually been somewhat following the game on its site and I find the artwork to be pretty good, particularly that large island shots.  I like the music too.

Also something that intrigues me is it seems these characters are a lot "older" than what you'd usually see in a JRPG, which is somewhat refreshing in the sea of 17-year-olds.  (not that there's anything wrong with that, but variety is the spice of life.)

Hopefully the game balloons into a fabulous new IP for Nintendo.  (speaking of amazing things about forum people, where are all the usual suspects who whine about Nintendo not making any new IP?)

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 12, 2010, 01:34:35 AM »

Okay thats a skybox buddy, its probably just a giant image that I never actually get to. That part in 13 is huge and the draw distance is insane. I really doubt thats an actual at runtime full environment. And the anti-aliasing is misleading. I'll wait and see, but FF13 has pretty badass graphics, and the Wii isn't gonna fly in and take it away with its GameCube 1.5.

Lets be real.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 12, 2010, 02:08:14 AM »
If this Xenoblade picture is indicative that wii games are catching up to the PS3 not in performance, but in style or quality proves that the wii is evolving into something that may soon match the HD consoles if the wii 2 does not emerge soon. I see it this way, the can longer be considered a last generation system, but a hybrid between SD and HD.

Well, to be more accurate what I think we're seeing is the natural progression of the console lifecycle.  This typically happens with every console: when it first launches, companies are just learning how to work with the hardware so their output is very similar to the last generation's work and the quality varies.  Towards the end of the lifecyle, the companies have worked with the machine for so long that they're comfortable developing on it, so we tend to get products that better reflect the full potential of the machine's specifications.  This isn't Wii specific, as the other two consoles are going through this as well.  We've been getting some seriously good games over the last year or so (Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, Final Fantasy XIII, Alan Wake, Split/Second, Mario Galaxy 2, etc.).  I'm looking forward to the next 1-2 years, which (aside from perhaps the 360, which looks just about dead in the water on 3rd party exclusivity) should be the best all 3 platforms have had.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 02:14:07 AM by broodwars »

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #173 on: July 12, 2010, 10:13:15 AM »
Ok.

I'm just going to sum up my feelings in one post to try and shed some light on why I got so frustrated with Bill's post, and then leave the thread alone.

I made a post full of assumptions because that is all we can do with one trailer.  I expressed my concerns with both the visual look and the stale gameplay that I took from the trailer.

We had a very good natured argument about whether or not it was a good looking game.  I don't think anyone was upset.

Bill then shows up under the guise of his Reggie account and attacks my love for Final Fantasy 13.  He uses a game that isn't even being discussed here as a comparison.  For those that don't remember, Bill 'quit' the forums because I stuck up for Final Fantasy 13.  Therefore, being attacked again, out of nowhere, because I like a game he doesn't, pissed me right off.

So to everyone that says they need permission to like a game, I beg you to look at the irony here.
---------------------

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #174 on: July 12, 2010, 11:06:36 AM »
Bill didn't leave cos of you Pale, don't flatter yourself.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.