Author Topic: Ocarina of Time in 2D  (Read 11459 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
Ocarina of Time in 2D
« on: January 19, 2004, 04:33:24 PM »
Like Zelda?  Think that third dimension is one too many?  We've found something interesting for you.

Link: http://www.oot2d.com/

Daniel Barras, like many others, loves his Zelda games to death.  However, after Ocarina of Time, he felt that something was missing, namely, the 2D overhead view gameplay that the original games used.  Rather than accept this, he decided to do something about it.

Daniel is in the process of taking the entire Ocarina of Time game for the N64 (which was in 3D) and transforming it into a 2D game, in the same style as A Link to the Past had on the SNES.  Judging from the screenshots on the site, and the demo versions of the game engine he's working on, it looks like it's going to be an eerily accurate transition from 3D to 2D.

After he finishes OOT, he plans to tackle Majora's Mask and then Wind Waker, also making 2D versions of those games.  You can read all about what Daniel is up to, as well as download the demo versions of his game engines (for the PC) at his website, oot2d.com.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Ocarina of Time in 2D
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 04:36:26 PM »
I heard about this when he was first starting...And I still can't wait for it to finish... ^_^
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 08:26:22 PM »
That is f*cking awesome!  Nintendo should hire this guy to finish the game and then either include it with Four Swords or make it a pre-order bonus for the next Zelda game.

Now I want someone to make A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening in 3D.  They could release them in a collection as Zelda Remixes or something.

Offline Ocarina Blue

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 08:58:33 PM »
This is the second fan-made 'Zelda' I've seen. The other went on to become quite sucessful, although I think it dropped the whole 'Zelda thing' before it got big. Does Nintendo often turn a blind eye to this sort of thing?
Om mani padme hum.

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 10:08:51 PM »
Pretty convincing.  But I like my OoT just fine in 3D, thanks.

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
    • View Profile
RE:Ocarina of Time in 2D
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 10:34:53 PM »
I love how this looks - Ghoma and Dodongo look awesome in 2D, and he seems to have really captured the essence of the 3D Zelda back into 2D.  I'm looking forward to playing the full thing!
It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 10:45:59 PM »
gaming mods? oh they'll never take off, excuse me while i finnish this round of Counter Strike. bring on more 3d -> 2d conversions i say, monkey island 4 ;____;
OUT OF DATE.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 11:03:28 PM »

Originally posted by: Ocarina Blue
This is the second fan-made 'Zelda' I've seen. The other went on to become quite sucessful, although I think it dropped the whole 'Zelda thing' before it got big. Does Nintendo often turn a blind eye to this sort of thing?

I'm assuming your talking about Graal Online. They dropepd the Zelda thing because Nintendo stepped in and told them to remove it. So not really a blind eye.

I've heard all about this 2d OOT. Daniel occasionally drops by my ezboard and posts updates. It's defiantly looking promising. If only somone coud get a Mac version out the door too.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004, 11:43:05 PM »
Okay, thanks.

Originally posted by: RABicle
If only somone coud get a Mac version out the door too.

The guy said that after he's finished he'll port it to GBA, and I presume there are GBA emulators available for Macs.

Oh, and speaking of 2D Zeldas, did anyone else see the post on Gamasutra that claimed GBAs would no longer be 'madatory' for Four Swords? The link is Here. You must sign up to view it.  
Om mani padme hum.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2004, 01:26:00 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Now I want someone to make A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening in 3D.

Amen...But add at least Oracle of Seasons to that list... ^_^

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2004, 02:51:17 AM »
Yeah, I've heard of this project a few weeks ago on the Nintendo.com forums, it should be pretty interesting if he finishes.
But yah, Nintendo should encourage him to finish, or possibly even provide some help then they could release it as a GBA pak.
And a 3-D Link's Awakening would be incredible.

Offline Shin Gallon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2004, 02:57:48 AM »
Wow...I might actually finish this version of OoT when he's finished. I was never a big fan of Ocarina (and especially after playing Wind Waker, it's really hard to look at OoT and not feel...dissapointed).
"Friends don't let friends watch dubbed anime."

http://shingallon.com

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2004, 05:00:36 AM »
Yeah, this Ocarina version shouldn't suck as much. Might be good.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2004, 06:24:59 AM »
"Amen...But add at least Oracle of Seasons to that list... ^_^"

Of course but I would give the EAD 2D Zeldas priority over the Capcom ones.

I hope Nintendo doesn't step in and ask him to cease and desist.  He's not selling the thing (at least I don't think he is) so it doesn't negatively affect Nintendo's sales at all.  If I ran a game company I would do the exact opposite and would publish the best fan mods.

And those that don't like Ocarina of Time are nuts.  That's on par with having Wand of Gamelon as your favourite Zelda title.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2004, 06:48:39 AM »
You're nuts to dislike any (Nintendo-made) Zelda game...

I wouldn't worry too much about Ninty stopping him, however...News of this has been around for a pretty long time, and if they wished they could have stopped him long ago...

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2004, 06:55:55 AM »
ITs all very well saying that they should make all these 2D games 3D but then we would have bickering over which engine to use. I think that Link's Awakening would be great in WW cel-shading but others might want it in OoT style graphics.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2004, 07:01:11 AM »
I personally believe the WW engine would be perfect for LA and LttP(though, of course, with different character styles to fit the images of the original games), considering the fact the GB/SNES games aren't realistic to begin with...

Those that would want the OoT-style for the games obviously didn't grow up with the originals...

Offline bayard

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2004, 07:34:59 AM »
Porting it to the Gameboy might be a little bit harder than you think.  If I'm reading it correctly he's written it in GameMaker.  checking on the GameMaker websites info page it appears that it only works for Windows based systems.   He'd have to port it to run under a different development enviroment.

I'm not saying it's impossible,  He'll still have the sprites, and all the scripts and everything, but he might have to write some engine code to go along with it.

They've got some pretty interesting forums there on making Zelda games for GameMaker, plenty of example scripts for Zelda type Games.  It might be interesting to see how easy one of those Zelda Engines could be ported to a GBA dev environment.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2004, 07:42:58 AM »
"Those that would want the OoT-style for the games obviously didn't grow up with the originals..."

Wow what a blanket statement.  I wouldn't want them to use the models from OoT or anything but I would rather them not be cel-shaded.  I don't really have a great reason for that, it's really just my preference.

One thing worth noting is that here you have Ocarina of Time done in 2D with A Link to the Past style graphics and NO ONE is saying it looks wrong so why the hell would A Link to the Past done in 3D with Ocarina of Time style graphics look wrong.  If anything this 2D project shows how similar the two games' styles are.

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2004, 07:51:50 AM »
Its like the PS1 and the PS2 (excuse this reference but I can find no better example). PS1 games work on a PS2 but PS2 games dont work on a PS1. 3D "OoT style" games would work in 2D but most of the 2D games would look wierd in the OoT Style graphics. It was good for OoT but it would be strange to see LttP in that style.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2004, 08:37:10 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
One thing worth noting is that here you have Ocarina of Time done in 2D with A Link to the Past style graphics and NO ONE is saying it looks wrong so why the hell would A Link to the Past done in 3D with Ocarina of Time style graphics look wrong.  If anything this 2D project shows how similar the two games' styles are.

The thing is, it looks a hell of a lot better in this style than the original style, imo...

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2004, 09:18:42 AM »
Speaking of GBA dev. has anyone run across any good fan games made for GBA?  I think there is the whole side of Nintendo culture that I didn't know about until today, and its really cool, but doesn't get much recognition from the rest of the community.  There are all those GBA devlopment kits out there waiting to be downloaded and I'm sure there is some good stuff out there, maybe not on par with EAD(althogh I wouldnt doubt it after seein this stuff), but at least EA quality right?  What do you guys think?
Wii:  0279 2707 3253 3306

Offline chlupe

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2004, 09:22:20 AM »
"Those that would want the OoT-style for the games obviously didn't grow up with the originals..."

Um, nice generalization there.

Link's Adventure is the first game I owned, and Legend of Zelda is the fourth. 1988. And yet I would love to see those games in OoT fashion, just to see what they can do with it. Wind Waker is fine, too. But there's nothing wrong with OoT.
"I have FURY!"
http://trigames.net Version 2.0, accepting reader contributions

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2004, 09:30:49 AM »
Fine, I exaggerated a bit...Whatever...

Nor did I say anything was wrong with OoT...It's just that I prefer the WW engine over a OoT-ish engine for those games...

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2004, 09:53:55 AM »
"Nor did I say anything was wrong with OoT...It's just that I prefer the WW engine over a OoT-ish engine for those games..."

So basically you think they should be cel-shaded rather than not cel-shaded.  Really that's the only difference between the two engines if you're not using the same models.

"The thing is, it looks a hell of a lot better in this style than the original style, imo... "

I personally don't see much of a difference.  One is sprites the other is polygons.  The stalkids and the bosses look pretty much exactly like they did in OoT only they're now sprites.  The more cartoony look is only because of the usage of sprites.  Polygons allow more freedom so the characters don't have to be as deformed but both get the light hearted Zelda style down perfect.  Neither one is super realistic.  Neither one is a cartoon.