Author Topic: Cleaning up GameFAQs...  (Read 3917 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Cleaning up GameFAQs...
« on: January 09, 2008, 01:18:24 PM »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Cleaning up GameFAQs...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 01:20:08 PM »
It is so funny because hardly anyone actually closes their account there after making these bets unless they have NO Karma and are a relatively new user.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
RE: Cleaning up GameFAQs...
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 01:22:54 PM »
It's been so long since I've really messed with GameFAQs, but I know that the mods used to close accounts for people in such cases.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Sister Mary LeFever

• PS3ROX!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 01:29:39 PM »
...Why do you people visit that hive of stupidity? The message boards, I mean.
My signature is a trainwreck

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 02:00:24 PM »

Originally posted by: Sister Mary LeFever
...Why do you people visit that hive of stupidity? The message boards, I mean.

I think of it as more of a zoo. You go there to look at all the funny animals.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 02:00:32 PM »
Only way to clean gamefaqs up would be to close it.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 02:02:37 PM »

Originally posted by: Crimm
Only way to clean gamefaqs up would be to close it.

Confirmed: Crimm wants to destroy NWR by letting the animals out to invade

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 02:09:23 PM »
Aww... they say they won't close accounts for people now.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 03:29:54 PM »
That topic was deleted before I saw it. What kind of lols did I miss?

I don't really read the forums unless its for an obscure game I'm trying to find info on...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 03:37:50 PM »
I was running a bet on the SSBB board that the game would be delayed past Feb 10th.  If I lost (not gonna happen), I have to close my account (Ancient - 2000+ Karma).  Anyone who took me up on the bet had to close their account if the game was delayed.  Had about 20 people in on it until the thread was deleted as a ToS Violation.  Still contesting that, as it clearly did not violate the ToS in any manner I see (and, the moderator, apparently, as they refuse to point out what it actually violates).

I'm sad though.  This was the one joy I was going to get out of the Brawl delay.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 03:52:47 PM »
Eh, on the Brawl board especially, if you contest something, it will not be overturned.  Likely they'll call it off topic, although it was about the release date.  I just can't post on GameFAQs anymore.  They all think they know more than me, though few use decent grammar, few research what they talk about, and they believe that getting people to agree with them makes them right lacking any kind of back-up.

Anyways, the moderators have basically stopped overturning things as far as I can tell.  You're better off not even caring, apparently.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 04:21:09 PM »
Jesus... No wonder I stopped really going to GameFAQs so long ago..

Board: Super Smash Bros. Brawl | Topic: 40686588 - SSBB North American Release Delayed - Anyone wanna bet their account? | Moderation ID: 6200984

Moderated at: 1/9/2008 8:25:11 PM | Reason: Disruptive Posting | Action: Notified (Top)

So, there are those who don't think the North American version of the game is going to be delayed.

Are you willing to close your account if it is?
---
Link took his Uncle's sword and promised to return...
theunclebob@hotmail.com - 618.384.6938

Your message was found to be violating the following section of the TOS:

Disruptive Behavior - Behavior that disrupts the Service for other users, intentional or not, are prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to: messages or topic titles that force browsers to scroll horizontally; large blank or content-free messages; "bumping" multiple older topics (posting in them well after the last post); posting multiple identical or near-identical messages or topics, including "fad" posts or topics; intentionally hard-to-read topic titles or posts (i.e. ALL CAPS, AlTeRnAtE cApS, no spaces, no or excessive punctuation); posting multiple hard-to-read or nonsensical messages in a single or multiple topics; posting large ASCII art (except in social topics specifically calling for it); or post counting (i.e. "First", "100th Post"). Shouting or otherwise creating noise in an active voice channel is considered disruptive behavior.

Some additional notes on the Disruptive rule:

* To sum up the rule, users should post in order to communicate, not just for the sake of posting.
   * Adding in (caps) or substituting a couple of lower-case letters in an ALL CAPS topic title does not exempt it from the rule. Any topic title designed to draw attention in this manner is a violation of the Disruptive rule.

This message was deleted with a Notification and a loss of 3 Karma. It is considered a minor moderation.

Message From JookySeaCaptain at 2008-01-10 03:29:42
What? This is *not* disruptive posting. It was contained to one thread, did not disrupt the flow of the rest of the board, nor was the post "hard to read" or any other such thing. *If* the game was out (even in Japan), then I might, might agree that a moderation was necessary, but as the game isn't even out, we cannot even talk about it. Seriously - not disruptive at all. No one has to read the post, it doesn't effect the rest of the board...

Message From GameFAQs Moderation Staff at 2008-01-10 03:58:21
This is a clear and flagrant violation of the TOS; there is absolutely no question of this. Please re-read the TOS rule in question.

Message From JookySeaCaptain at 2008-01-10 04:33:40
Re-Reading:
>Behavior that disrupts the Service for other users, intentional or not, are prohibited.
No other users have to have their service disrupted. They simply did not have to take the bet.

>This includes, but is not limited to:
I'll give you this clause, only because every single post ever could, in theory, fall under this.

>messages or topic titles that force browsers to scroll horizontally;
Nope.

>large blank or content-free messages;
Nope.

>"bumping" multiple older topics (posting in them well after the last post);
Nope.

>posting multiple identical or near-identical messages or topics,
Nope.

>including "fad" posts or topics;
Is "bet you account" considered a fad? It comes up on occasion, but I don't think it's fad status...

>intentionally hard-to-read topic titles or posts (i.e. ALL CAPS, AlTeRnAtE cApS, no spaces, no or excessive punctuation);
Nope.

>posting multiple hard-to-read or nonsensical messages in a single or multiple topics;
Nope.

>posting large ASCII art (except in social topics specifically calling for it);
Nope.

>or post counting (i.e. "First", "100th Post").
Nope.

>Shouting or otherwise creating noise in an active voice channel is considered disruptive behavior.
Nope.

>To sum up the rule, users should post in order to communicate, not just for the sake of posting.
The purpose of my topic was to talk about the delay. Too many delay topics were getting pushed down with "The game isn't going to be delayed!" without any real discussion about the fact that the game *is*, in fact, going to be delayed. I wanted people who were so certain the game isn't going to be delayed further to actually stand behind their words.

>This game board is exclusively for the discussion of this particular game. Topics that do not directly address how to play the game or its storyline will be deleted as a TOS violation.
The status of a game's release definitely directly addresses how to play the game. After all, we can't play a game that's not yet released, can we? I don't mean to be a complete *** here, but, seriously, this topic did not break a single ToS condition, except for the "not limited to" part, but then, as I said, every single topic *could* fall under that. Thank you.

Message From GameFAQs Moderation Staff at 2008-01-10 04:59:28
massive 'brawl delayed' fad.

Message From JookySeaCaptain at 2008-01-10 05:06:47
What?!?

"Brawl Delayed" is a fad now? Jesus, is there a list of fads so I can keep up on them as not to get moderated again?

Seriously, considering two major Nintendo news outlets have came out with articles today about the possibility of a Brawl delay (http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=15073 and http://gonintendo.com/?p=33023), I think it's highly unfair to expect people on the Brawl board to not discuss it because it's "a fad". That'd be like saying it's "a fad" to discuss crazy Wii sales on the Wii Hardware board or something. The North American release of Brawl will be delayed. Mark my words. It's highly unfair to mark someone for "fad" posting when the topic is something that's made major news blogs around the internet (and, of course, actually pertains to the game).

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 04:56:53 PM »
Hur hur look at me i'm a gamefaqs moderator I have downs

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 05:27:15 PM »
I would like to be a gamefaqs mod plz.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 05:30:35 PM »
I've got to admit, I like to insult them.  It's pretty fun, and they don't even realize it.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 05:37:26 PM »
ahaahhahhaah NWR is a "major Nintendo news outlet"!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 05:40:26 PM »
Would NWR be better if they were an augmented Nintendo news outlet?

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 06:05:57 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
ahaahhahhaah NWR is a "major Nintendo news outlet"!

That hurts  
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 06:17:50 PM »
What? There's news on this site? I thought the forum is all that mattered here. I go to *CENSORED* for all my Nintendo news. In fact, my home page is set to the forum home page.

Yes, my life is small and pathetic.

(Yes, I lie. But which is the lie??)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 07:09:13 PM »
Wait if Gamefaq's has disruption as part of their TOS violations, then wouldn't that mean they'd have to shut down the whole board? About every thread turns into this.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 05:16:42 PM »
Well, UB, your post was deleted.  Can we hear this one, too?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 04:20:49 PM »
Anyone want to help me mark every single Brawl Delayed topic with the reason of "Message From GameFAQs Moderation Staff at 2008-01-10 04:59:28 "massive 'brawl delayed' fad."?