Linked Events

• NSMB Wii release: November 15, 2009

Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. Wii  (Read 226917 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: New Super Mario Bros. Wii
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2009, 06:31:12 PM »
What I want to know is what, specifically, it will do in New Super Mario Brothers Wii. Was that information already posted and I missed it, or are the specifics not yet known?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2009, 06:34:58 PM »
What I want to know is what, specifically, it will do in New Super Mario Brothers Wii. Was that information already posted and I missed it, or are the specifics not yet known?

I don't think anyone (besides NIntendo) really knows how it will work.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2009, 06:53:48 PM »

I don't think anyone (besides NIntendo) really knows how it will work.

From what I've read, it always struck me as a glorified link to youtube gameplay walkthrough videos. It could just link you to an online server that stores all of these help videos and you call the ones you want in the game. Though that's just my preconceived impression. I could be radically wrong.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2009, 07:05:41 PM »
I thought people were just assuming it was in NSMBWii.  It wouldn't work in a multiplayer environment.  Miyamoto said there were other methods of helping people play NSMBWii than demo play, or at least that's what I thought.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 19, 2009, 08:35:44 PM »
I thought people were just assuming it was in NSMBWii.  It wouldn't work in a multiplayer environment.  Miyamoto said there were other methods of helping people play NSMBWii than demo play, or at least that's what I thought.

It is confirmed here.

Quote from: Yahoo Games
In an interview with USA Today, legendary Nintendo designer Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed that the company's rumored in-game help system (initially dubbed the "Kind Code," but now tentatively called "demo play") will make its first appearance in the upcoming New Super Mario Bros. for the Wii, which hits store shelves this holiday.

Rather than forcing players to comb the web for cheat codes and walkthroughs, the new help system is built directly into the game. If a player gets stuck, they'll have the option to pause play and allow the game to take over and play itself through any rough patches. Once they're out of the woods, players can hop back in and continue playing.
My Game Collection

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 19, 2009, 09:38:28 PM »
Ah, thanks.  I suppose that would really only work in single player for a take-over, I'd think.  It's possible it could work with multiple players, but everyone would likely have to play, or no one would.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 19, 2009, 09:40:34 PM »
Its a very innovative system, I wonder if you have control over when it stops taking over for you? Or will you have to rely on what Miyamoto and co determine to be a "tough spot".

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2009, 02:52:28 AM »

It is confirmed here.

Quote from: Yahoo Games
In an interview with USA Today, legendary Nintendo designer Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed that the company's rumored in-game help system (initially dubbed the "Kind Code," but now tentatively called "demo play") will make its first appearance in the upcoming New Super Mario Bros. for the Wii, which hits store shelves this holiday.

Rather than forcing players to comb the web for cheat codes and walkthroughs, the new help system is built directly into the game. If a player gets stuck, they'll have the option to pause play and allow the game to take over and play itself through any rough patches. Once they're out of the woods, players can hop back in and continue playing.

yeah i posted that on the last page.

Its a very innovative system, I wonder if you have control over when it stops taking over for you? Or will you have to rely on what Miyamoto and co determine to be a "tough spot".

For some reason i felt like i've read somewhere else that the user has the option to take control at will at any given point, but i suppose we'll see.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 20, 2009, 07:03:23 AM »
Wouldn't it be great if they included EVERY powersuit from EVERY Mario game EVER?

I also wouldn't mind seeing a return of the turnip picking...

A game that had all this would be the ULTIMATE MARIO GAME OF ALL TIME!
is your sanity...

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 20, 2009, 12:22:36 PM »
Wouldn't it be great if they included EVERY powersuit from EVERY Mario game EVER?

throw in the minigames of SMB3 and i'm sold!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 20, 2009, 05:59:18 PM »

throw in the minigames of SMB3 and i'm sold!

And the mini 'classic arcade Mario Brothers' versus mode where you could steal each others cards. That was awesome.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 20, 2009, 06:41:33 PM »

Sounds great on paper sure, but trying to implement all of that would mean that very few would be integrated very well into the game. It would be a mess, and the powerups would be even less useful than the ones in SMB3 are.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2009, 06:42:11 PM »

Sounds great on paper sure, but trying to implement all of that would mean that very few would be integrated very well into the game. It would be a mess, and the powerups would be even less useful than the ones in SMB3 are.

Fine with me considering SMB3 is my favorite game of all time. I loved those power ups (Well except for the frog suit)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 20, 2009, 06:45:26 PM »
I like them too but I feel they could have been put to better use in the game, or at least be more common. You don't ever need them to access secret areas or anything like that.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2009, 08:29:29 PM »
Mop it up, you just don't get it... I like those powerups in SMB3 precisely because they were rare. If you have access to them all the time they would be monotonous and boring. This is why Super Mario Sunshine sucks so much compared to every other Mario game, because in Sunshine Mario's "powerup" was F.L.U.D.D. which was attached to him during the entire game and there was just no way to get rid of it and nothing else you could get.

To me the rare and "useless" suits were one of the main things that made SMB3 so great, because they had a lot of mystery and provoked a lot of wonder and amazement when you discovered them or watched someone else discover them. You don't get that feeling with the fire-flower or the mushroom powerups because these are standard fare in Mario games and they are so common that there's nothing amazing about them anymore.
is your sanity...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 21, 2009, 03:08:16 AM »
Mop it up, you just don't get it... I like those powerups in SMB3 precisely because they were rare. If you have access to them all the time they would be monotonous and boring. This is why Super Mario Sunshine sucks so much compared to every other Mario game, because in Sunshine Mario's "powerup" was F.L.U.D.D. which was attached to him during the entire game and there was just no way to get rid of it and nothing else you could get.

To me the rare and "useless" suits were one of the main things that made SMB3 so great, because they had a lot of mystery and provoked a lot of wonder and amazement when you discovered them or watched someone else discover them. You don't get that feeling with the fire-flower or the mushroom powerups because these are standard fare in Mario games and they are so common that there's nothing amazing about them anymore.

I agree with CHozo except for his SMS bashing (I think all the 3D Mario games have had pretty limited and crappy uses of power ups, I do not like the timed aspect of them). The hammer bros. suit was absolutely magical to get because it was so hard to find, along with the Tanooki suit. It is also why Kuribo's show is so much fun, because it was limited to one level.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 21, 2009, 07:24:36 AM »
I'm not saying Sunshine was a bad game, but I don't think it lived up to the standards of other Mario games. When you consider the obscenely high standards that mario games are set at, this isn't really bashing at all. Is sunshine better than most games? Without a doubt. Is it better than SM64, Galaxy, World, Bros.? Well, I don't think so.

I agree with you having powersuits timed sucks, unless of course its the invincibility star one which definitely should be limited. It should have remained like it was in the original games where you keep your suit until you get hit by an enemy. Actally, in Galaxy I remember that the bee suit and probably a few others were ones you kept until you died or were injured, but the fireball suit lasted just a short time and the it disappeared. Maybe the devs thought the firesuit was just too powerful and that if you had it you would probably never lose it, but I disagree with that.... but oh well.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #142 on: June 21, 2009, 10:29:06 AM »
Agreed on it sucking that the Fire Suit was limited in Super Mario Galaxy. I think I know why they did it though, you could pretty much kill every enemy with it. I think we can agree though that none of us would be too upset if they kept that crappy Spring Suit out, I think that it the worst powersuit in the Mario series. It's also worthless and it's very difficult to control Mario when he has it. I also liked the Bee Suit, which gets a lot of bashing for some reason.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 21, 2009, 11:06:39 AM »
If anyone is unfamiliar with the boot and wants to learn more, I found this on google:

Super Mario Bros. 3 features a cool power-up called Kuribo's Shoe, a green boot that appears in level 5-3 of Sky Land. Goombas use it to hop around and squash Mario, but if he manages to bop one on its head, he can ride the boot to destroy all of the enemies and even jump on spikes. Sadly, Nintendo did not make it available the rest of the way, nor does it pop up in other Mario games.

It is a cool powerup because it is the rarest of all and only appears in that one level.

I read on Wikipedia that the developers of SMB3 wanted to include a Centaur powerup originally, but they scrapped that idea. That might have been really cool, but we'll never know... they might consider that for a future game though.
is your sanity...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 21, 2009, 04:33:50 PM »
I thought Kuribo's Shoe made an appearance in Super Princess Peach as well.
My Game Collection

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 21, 2009, 05:11:11 PM »
I'm not saying Sunshine was a bad game, but I don't think it lived up to the standards of other Mario games. When you consider the obscenely high standards that mario games are set at, this isn't really bashing at all. Is sunshine better than most games? Without a doubt. Is it better than SM64, Galaxy, World, Bros.? Well, I don't think so.

I agree with you having powersuits timed sucks, unless of course its the invincibility star one which definitely should be limited. It should have remained like it was in the original games where you keep your suit until you get hit by an enemy. Actally, in Galaxy I remember that the bee suit and probably a few others were ones you kept until you died or were injured, but the fireball suit lasted just a short time and the it disappeared. Maybe the devs thought the firesuit was just too powerful and that if you had it you would probably never lose it, but I disagree with that.... but oh well.

Not to derail this, but SMS's power up system was pretty well done as well with the different fludd nozels. They weren't timed either and provided different ways of approaching objectives. Really though the 3D Mario's don't have that many memorable power ups, especially Mario 64 where they were all timed, and really out of them the wing hat was the most worthwhile.

Also yes the Kuribo shoe is awesome, does anyone remember if there was a kuribo stage in any of the expansion e-cards for Mario Advance 4?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 21, 2009, 05:47:07 PM »
I really enjoyed the Metal Mario in M64.

Did anyone else do the glitch where you could get Mario to hold and fly around with the wing cap in his hand instead of on his head? There was a trick in one of the desert levels where you could do it.

I wish Nintendo would bring back more old power-ups instead of creating new ones every game. Some of them would feel new just because Nintendo hasn't touched them since 3/World.

I would like to see the leaf/tanookie tail and metal cap make a return.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 22, 2009, 02:04:43 AM »
I'd personally like to see the Tanooki Suit and Hammer Bros. suits from Mario 3 make a reappearance.  It's odd that the series hasn't reused the various suits from Mario 3 in any of the games that followed, since they were so cool.  Hell, in the right environment even the Frog Suit and Boot were awesome.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 22, 2009, 02:20:28 AM »
Mop it up, you just don't get it... I like those powerups in SMB3 precisely because they were rare. If you have access to them all the time they would be monotonous and boring.
They were too uncommon though, I would never even use them because I didn't know a good level to use them for and I never knew when I was going to get another one! I would save them all for Bowser's Castle or the stretch leading up to it. Sure they were nice because of how special they seemed to be, but then disappointment set in when I discovered how they were largely useless because there are no special levels which were designed for them. Take the Kuribo's Shoe as an example, THAT item was awesome because the level it is featured in was designed around it, making that level memorable. But the special suits are forgettable because there are no specific levels for them. The closest would be the second castle in World 6, which has some enemies that can be defeated only with the hammers usable in the Hammer Brother suit.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 22, 2009, 02:26:16 AM »
Mop it up, you just don't get it... I like those powerups in SMB3 precisely because they were rare. If you have access to them all the time they would be monotonous and boring.
They were too uncommon though, I would never even use them because I didn't know a good level to use them for and I never knew when I was going to get another one! I would save them all for Bowser's Castle or the stretch leading up to it. Sure they were nice because of how special they seemed to be, but then disappointment set in when I discovered how they were largely useless because there are no special levels which were designed for them. Take the Kuribo's Shoe as an example, THAT item was awesome because the level it is featured in was designed around it, making that level memorable. But the special suits are forgettable because there are no specific levels for them. The closest would be the second castle in World 6, which has some enemies that can be defeated only with the hammers usable in the Hammer Brother suit.

You can make the argument, though, that that was the whole purpose of the suits: to save them up over the course of the game for the platforming nightmare (at the time) that was World 8.  Could have done with them being a little more common, though...I never did beat any of the NES Marios till I played All Stars on the SNES.  I don't know if I was simply a more battle-hardened platform gamer by that point or if those versions were simply more manageable with the save system.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.