Author Topic: RUMOR: Wii U Sells Approximately 230,000 in November  (Read 10301 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: RUMOR: Wii U Sells Approximately 230,000 in November
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2013, 12:31:05 PM »
In regards to the 3DS bouncing back and the Wii U not being able to, the 3DS had no obvious shortcomings in it's actual design.  It was overpriced and the games weren't there but both of those were fixable.  The 3DS was a logical step up from the DS.  It helps that in the handheld market Nintendo is the trend setter.

With the Wii U I feel the issue was always in the actual design.  It was PS360 gen hardware released a year before the PS4 and XB1 were expected to come out.  It was a conventional follow-up to the Wii but not a conventional console for the timing of its release and unlike the handheld market the competition is really fierce.  It's not an issue of price or a shortage of games but rather that the product itself is not what the market wants and Nintendo can't fix that.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2013, 12:50:30 PM »
I'm not certain if it's more Mario, or the fact that Nintendo has finally started advertising for the damn thing, that Nintendo's finally selling Wii Us.  I can't see one show I watch on tv without seeing that Wii U Commercial where the girl is telling the kids on the couch how they'll convince their parents to buy one, specifically stating it's a new console.

Regardless, that seems like an abysmal number leading up into the holidays.  I really hope Nintendo doesn't exit the console space.  Wii U isn't without issues, but it's a unique console that in my mind has potential for some neat gaming experiences.

I'm starting to wonder if it would have been better for Nintendo to go the PS4 route - put all the cost of their console in beefy specs, and leverage the 3DS XL as the device for off-TV play like Sony has done with the Vita.

Offline syn4aptik

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 01:42:42 PM »
The best thing to come out of the WiiU was HD, Miiverse, and a (nearly) unified eShop. Nintendo won't bomb the next console...this one was a very good learning experience that will have provided some significant institutional momentum.
Dave Mellert
Contributing Editor

Offline ResettisCousin

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2013, 05:59:36 PM »
Resistive screen that's a little murky? Eh
Same slow trickle of Virtual Console? Well...
Third party multiplats have mostly been compromised on WiiU and will probably dry up in a year? Dang.
And other complaints.
But.... but... here's what REALLY concerns me about the WiiU: WHERE ARE THE QUIRKY JAPANESE THIRD PARTY GAMES? (I know: they're on mobile and/or F2P) Where are all the middle-budget games that made the Wii amusing and distinct? About 35 of my Wii collection is Nintendo-published, while about 55 of my Wii games are third-party published. But it's not even a question of "Where is Xseed on WiiU?", it's a question of, where are games at all that Xseed would localize? And where are the solid efforts like Shattered Memories, Overlord DL, Dead Space: Extraction, etc? They aren't down to a trickle. They are completely absent!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2013, 06:19:18 PM »
Perfect time for the release of the long awaited Sadness...

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 07:22:22 PM »
On a side note, to all the people who boasted the 3DS' implausible recovery was proof that the Wii U was going to bounce back: how's that working out for you?

Seems to be working out. Wii U is starting to sell more units again compared to the past few months after launch so looks like a bounce back is beginning.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2013, 07:39:08 PM »
On a side note, to all the people who boasted the 3DS' implausible recovery was proof that the Wii U was going to bounce back: how's that working out for you?

Seems to be working out. Wii U is starting to sell more units again compared to the past few months after launch so looks like a bounce back is beginning.

This is part of the Holiday Bump, more specifically, the Black Friday Effect.
If this last through January and into Feb 2014, then you have the beginnings of a "bounce back".

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2013, 07:54:22 PM »
Thanks Captain Buzzkill!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »
Not that I'm trying to say these sales are great by any means, but...

PS4 Launch
XBox One Launch
Crazy 360 sales (Walmart had 360s for $99.  We literally sold a pallet of them at my tiny store)
Crazy PS3 sales (Again, Walmart had PS3s for $149 and really good bundles for $199)

Technophiles and the "gotta have its!" all wanted the new systems while parents looking for cheap deals went for the old stuff.  I don't think a single retailer had any Wii U deals going on.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2013, 09:39:57 PM »
I'm honestly curious how PS4 and Xbox One will perform in Jan-Feb-Mar

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2013, 10:23:56 PM »
I'm honestly curious how PS4 and Xbox One will perform in Jan-Feb-Mar

Both will probably do fairly well considering both have major games releasing around that time (Titanfall for the Xbone & Infamous: Second Son for the PS4). Honestly, the dangerous period of time for both systems is during the Summer of 2014, where neither console really has anything right now.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline motang

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2013, 08:05:57 AM »
Nintendo step up your game!!!

Offline Django

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2013, 05:27:21 PM »
Keep it going Nintendo, you are doing it right!  :cool;

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2013, 03:16:29 PM »
They'll sell a lot more if Newegg keeps selling them for $219
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3G616K1046&RandomID=517072093323313520131216120602

comes with skylanders AND Nintendo Land