Author Topic: Just another day at the office...  (Read 16383 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Just another day at the office...
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 10:24:47 PM »
I only have the back of the computer open.

That is the cable they sent me.

I plugged one side into the monitor, and laid it flat on the back of the LCD, then plugged the LCD video cable into it. Seemed pretty easy.

the short started on the LCD video cable side and ran to the LCD connection point.
I'll post a pic of the new LCD and the extender cable.

I also found a replacement LCD Video Cable online for $15 ($50-90 everywhere else online). So if that's all I need to replace to make the LCD show color again, that is fine. But I really don't want to replace the motherboard. It's my sisters' laptop, and she can just go buy another one if I have to go through all that trouble.

pics incoming soon.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2011, 10:48:52 PM »
I don't know for certain that it was their parts - there's a pretty decent chance you had said cable plugged in backwards (just basing this upon trying to visualize what this cable would look like).

After watching this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB8XH3kEqdM

I did put it in backwards on the LCD side. I didn't know you were supposed to flip it over. Why couldn't they just make it shorter and face both connectors the same way? Should have atleast came with a warning and instructions.

Either way, the screen shows blues and greens (I will take pics after my phone charges a little bit).... does that sound like power inverter problem or an LCD cable problem?

I'm gonna try and have them just replace the LCD with one that doesn't need an extension cable.
Remember that the color was all messed up on the old LCD too (after the short), so I assume the power inverter is hidden inside the laptop somewhere.

edit: HP dv7-3085dx
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:36:38 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2011, 08:30:38 AM »
I'm not positive that the inverter would make the colors mess up like you say, typically if it's a bad inverter it will just be no picture or no backlight or something like that. Something may have blown on the board, if you can get pictures of where the LCD cable connects to the board that would be good (and the path along to it). Typically you just need to remove maybe one-four screws from the battery compartment (sometimes you don't need to remove any) so you can remove the bezel from between the LCD and keyboard, then pop the keyboard out itself, to access that cable. It's usually pretty easy.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2011, 10:54:58 PM »
So here's an interesting job I did today - headphone jack replacement for a 3rd gen 32GB iPod Touch - what makes this more interesting is that said iPod belongs to fellow NRW'er leroypantweather! Got it in the mail this morning and had it done late this afternoon. Not the most pleasant thing to replace, but not too entirely difficult. Definitely not for soldering beginners though, that's for sure.

So here we are, an innocent looking iPod Touch, what could be so difficult about something so simple?

Oh, that's right, everything else underneath the glass...

It amazes me how much dust can get inside of these things - the only way in is through the headphone jack, really. The glass/frame has a nearly watertight gasket, but if you have the screen on, you can see right through to the inside if you look through the jack. Anyway, here's a shot after I blew out the dust.

You have to pop up the LCD (very carefully as not to crack it), and then remove 8 screws from underneath to pop up the inner frame/battery in order to give yourself a little more room (and so you don't get finger prints on the screen or accidently burn it with your soldering iron).

Here's how the headphone jack connects - 5 solder joints altogether, relavitely close to one another. Apple actually puts entirely too much solder on the connections if you ask me. There are also two screws on the right side which hold it in place.

Some careful desoldering and a little patience and here is the jack-less iPod Touch.

Here's the replacement jack, it would be nice if there was a screwhole on the left side (on the ribbon cable), it would make replacement a little bit easier...but I digress.

This is the same jack-less iPod Touch, only after taking some braid to the board and removing as much solder as possible. If you leave it in place, you're just asking for trouble. It will spread to the other pads without hesitation and then you've got to start all over again.

This is the last pics I took (laziness, I suppose). Just with the screws in and without the soldering job done, but rest assured it's nice and soldered now, tested it out on my desktop speakers.

So now she's sitting on my desk waiting until I can ship her back on Tuesday. Mr. pantweather, if you have a GMail account, please leave us a nice review on Google when you get it back.

And if you're wondering from the first pic - yes, I do strictly use a razor blade for opening up the iPod. I've done tons of these (mostly screens), and it's by far the most effective route. You just have to know where the clips are and have a little patience.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 10:57:05 PM by Brandogg »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2011, 12:07:07 PM »
These are the best pics I could take, because even though I removed every single screw on that laptop I could find, I could not remove the HDD or the front or rear casing.

THese are all of either the LCD Video connector cable connecting to the mother board or that same cable connecting to the back of the old monitor (new monitor connector is on far side)

I'm gonna hook up the new monitor & take a pic so that you can see the color problems too.
Maybe that will help you diagnose the problem since there doesn't seem to be any issues with the motherboard from what I can see.

edit:

Notice how the green shows up. It actually shimmers too. I tried to take a short video, but it doesn't show up on there very well.

here it is displayed on the TV at the same time.
I haven't logged in since i don't know the password, but I imagine it's not really something that would just fix itself after messing with some setting in Windows.

I'll also take a pic of the back of the laptop so you can see why I can't get the HDD and back cover off, which was preventing me from fully removing the keyboard since there is a hidden screw under there somewhere.

edit:

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:15:14 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2011, 04:37:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can just pull the HDD straight up and out by the plastic tab. Most HP computers have this SATA header attached (it's removable) that lets you simple drop the drive into place. You may be in luck and it could just be that your cable is bad. On long runs like that it's possible for the wires inside to burn out before the signal reaches the destination and takes out anything else. You might want to see if there's a local shop anywhere (mom and pop style) that will let you just plug a cable into the monitor and see if it changes anything - you already have the entire thing disassembled basically, so they shouldn't charge you anything (at least they shouldn't with a good conscience). That's a pretty nice laptop, btw, looks like they go for around $800 used on eBay. Should be worth fixing even if the cost ends up being over $100 or so. It's a pretty standard part (the 40 pin cable), any shop should have one on hand if they do any kind of laptop work. Also the inverter is wrapped up in that insulation it seems (where the white sticker with the barcode is) - you can see the pink/black wire branch out of it with a coupler to attack to the motherboard. You can cut open that wrapping (very carefully) and see if you notice any damage, just be sure to wrap it back up when your done.

Offline leroypantweather

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2011, 06:32:44 PM »
Just a follow up for everyone, I got my iPod back today.  Brandogg's service was prompt and the repair appears to be of excellent quality.  I would strongly recommend his repair service.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2011, 07:42:16 PM »
Unfortunately your iPod has been mysteriously crammed full of Lady Gaga and Britney Spears remixes.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2011, 09:35:31 PM »
And mayonnaise.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2011, 11:07:20 PM »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2011, 03:59:18 AM »
Damn Terry Crews injecting himself into everything.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
Back by zero demand - I took these photos a month or so ago, I figured maybe BnM2k1 would be interested...Motorola Droid X digitizer replacement coming right up!

First step is to remove the battery cover, battery, and MicroSD card of course...but that's boring, afterwards you need to remove the top and bottom bumpers that hide some more screws (and the easy-to-lose microphone cover)...

Then a little prying on the clips of the narrow side let you easily remove the entire back casing of the phone, a pry tool will help on the wide side...

Not counting the camera there are only two cables you need to remove to get the motherboard out of the phone. They're hidden by a type of black tape for some reason which is easily removed...

The motherboard easily comes out afterwards, exposing 13 tiny torx 3 screws that need to be remove to get the LCD out...

That's the pile of screws on the left side. Don't lose these...well, you could probably lose like 8 of them and still be fine but you don't want any dust getting inside the phone...

And then there's the finished product. I forgot to take pics of the LCD out of the phone, but the less time you waste at this step, the less likely any dust will make its way into the phone. It's really a simple phone to fix, takes about 10 minutes from start to finish (after you've done your first one at least).

I've got some more "exciting" ones lined up, including a DS Lite cart slot replacement, iPad 2 digitizer replacement, iPad LCD, I might take pics next time I change the laser on a "Slim" Xbox 360...those things die out very quickly. If you have one, I highly recommend installing all of your games to the HDD (and making your own 320GB HDD for $50). I also did three HTC Inspires over the weekend...those are a lot of fun, way easier than I thought they would be. I read where some dude claiming to be a pro took about 5 hours to change his own screen...takes me about 15 minutes.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 11:19:22 PM by Brandogg »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2011, 11:24:12 PM »
It's very interesting that you post that because my screen is dying on me as we speak.

the bottom 1/8 of my screen is constantly fading in and out and usually just blacked out.
The other day the bottom 1/2 of the screen faded/flickered to black and I could't even get past the lock screen without some dumb luck as I kept trying to figure out what button I needed to push next to unlock my phone.

I'm eligible for upgrade, but I'm trying to hold out as long as possible. Now if my screen goes out, I have a guide right here on the forums to fix it myself.... but I do have phone insurance too. Not sure how much it cost to just get a replacement. I should look into that.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2011, 10:34:41 AM »
Yeah I did the digitizer on this one, but the LCD is the same process essentially. One thing I really like about Motorola is that they never fuse the LCD to the digitizer, or even adhere them together, making screen replacements essentially painless on every phone of theirs I have done, not counting the Atrix, which is a fucking pain in the ass due to the touch screen controller's placement. Should be doing a Droid Bionic sometime this week,  maybe next, it's very similar to this one, only a little easier supposedly.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2014, 11:24:33 PM »
So, I've done thousands of phones and consoles in the past 2.5 years since my last post (even a Wii U), but the other day I had a first. When I was replacing the battery in an iPad 2, the damn thing literally burst into flames right in my hands. There was an actual fire in the iPad. I should have taken more pics, this was after I ran outside with it. But here's the thing - the iPad works perfect (with a new battery, of course) - bear in mind these were actual 400F+ flames within millimeters of incredibly fragile parts. Apple makes some severely over priced products, but their build quality is essentially second to none.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2014, 02:50:21 PM »
Yikes! Glad you weren't injured.

Pretty sweet pics though.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2015, 03:47:47 AM »
So B-Dogg, my phone screen cracked a few weeks ago, pieces have been chipping off slowly. I'm getting a replacement GS3, but I'm wondering if you have any good refurbished Verizon phones on hand you might be willing to part with, since upgrading is a nightmare if trying to keep your grandfathered unlimited internet.

Maybe a good as new GS5, or an HTC one or something along those lines.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 03:49:36 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2015, 11:26:34 AM »
I wish...best thing I have is an LG G2. Now that I'm out of that business I don't mess with phones too much anymore, just the occassiona fix for friends and family.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2015, 07:55:21 PM »
Maybe you could repair my antique nes for me in exchange for a 3 course meal..
Made you look ****.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2015, 11:10:00 PM »
You better make it a date.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2015, 02:39:23 AM »
Maybe you could repair my antique nes for me in exchange for a 3 course meal..

So were you planning on coming to Florida to cook it for him, or did you expect him to go to Australia?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2015, 02:51:54 AM »
Why are you trying to complicate things? Lucariofan99 can just mail Brandogg the meal along with his NES to Florida. No travel involved.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2015, 02:56:52 AM »
I have to think that would degrade the quality of the meal. And shipping two packages internationally seems like a huge waste. Unless you put both in the one, and I guess if Brandogg's repairing it anyway it's probably not too much more work to clean food out of it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2015, 03:39:10 AM »
From what I've seen in the culinary thread, I think Lucariofan99 is such a genius chef that he could make the meal shipment work. I know when it comes to food that you only can picture a Philly Cheesesteak and think of how that sandwich would fall apart in your hands even before getting it in a package to ship. However, Lucariofan99 is a culinary master who can think beyond just a sandwich when it comes to meal ideas. And with today's high quality food preservation standards, which can be seen in items like Twinkies and McDonald's cheeseburgers, I have no doubt that Lucariofan99 would be able to whip up a high quality meal like a French Onion soup appetizer, Tournedos Rossini main course and Chocolate Souffle dessert and have it all arrive perfectly and instantly servable. Lucariofan99 is modern cooking at its finest. Cooking has evolved and the future is now.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.