Author Topic: Roundtable Discussion: PlayStation 4 Unveiling  (Read 9265 times)

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
Re: Roundtable Discussion: PlayStation 4 Unveiling
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 05:20:29 AM »
I am not impressed by anything that Sony has to offer. If I were to express how I feel about their presentation then I would put it like this: If I were an investor in their company I would run, not walk, away from that corporation. All Sony has become is a more expensive version of Nintendo. They expect me to pay well over $600.00 for a PS4 and Vita to do something that cost me much cheaper with the Wii U.

lmao, you guys crack me up sometimes.
Gouge away.

Offline Eien1239

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 07:39:41 AM »
Well the 3ds can play along side the WiiU (MH3U) so if nintendo wanted to make the 3ds a controller they can, problem is three screens is going to be convoluted. Also I doubt most devs will use the power in innovate ways if this generation is any indication.

Offline Ron-F

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 11:42:42 AM »
I was left underwhelmed by the Sony conference. They are offering a upper midrange gaming PC for, supposedly, a cheap price. So far so good, but the fact is the PS4 offers a barren ecosystem. Very few exclusive games will be initially available and it is pretty clear that near all third party titles will be multi-platform, many of them also playable on the ps3. Considering this, why should anyone upgrade?

Unlike the competitors' products, the PS4 is unable to play games from previous generations and thus its game library will be very limited at least for a year after the release. One may wonder why this is important as most of the old consoles were released in a similar manner. Well, the gaming space have changed a lot in the last few years. In previous generations' transitions there was a huge graphical improvement (or controller alternative in the case of the Wii). As much as the so called graphic whores will love to protest, there isn't a huge leap this time. To a public that is pretty much comfortable playing on the iPad, I suspect the ps3 is good enough.

Finally, many customers may reject the idea of buying a modified PC that can only run a few titles and go for a real PC, especially if Valve actually release the fabled SteamBox for a competitive price.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 12:22:37 PM »
if the steam box looks better then that piston thing im biting

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 02:02:55 PM »
I wasn't really impressed by I wasn't disappointed either.  It was pretty much exactly what I expected.  There was nothing that made me think "hmmm, I don't know about this."  I don't care about the sharing or social element of it but that's not something I have to use and Miiverse is equally unappealing to me.  The price is probably going to be high but Sony had to make a follow-up to the PS3 so obviously the hardware jump had to be big enough to justify a new system.  The Wii was a major exception and no other successful system had not provided some sort of noticable hardware boost.

My biggest fear was that Nintendo would stick with last gen hardware again and the PS4 reveal just confirmed those negative feelings.  I know what to expect with a Nintendo console that's a generation behind and I'm not interested in going through that again.  The Wii U seems to better match the PS3 than the PS4 and that's just ridiculously short sighted.

One thing to note about Vita integration, though it will obviously not be as widespread as the Wii U Gamepad, Sony is providing that as an OPTION while Nintendo forces you to pay for it, whether you care about it or not.  If the Gamepad was an optional accessory, I would not buy one because I don't care about it and do not expect much from it in the future (and if it does deliver, I can buy one later).  Nintendo wants it to be standard but I don't consider it to be generic enough to make sense as a standard.  To me it's like Nintendo forcing you to buy a Super Scope with the Super Nintendo.  Now Sony is forcing you to pay for the EyeToy technology and MS will almost certainly make you pay for Kinect, so this is a rather annoying new trend in the console industry.

For games it looks like more of the same but what did Nintendo give us?  NSMB U.  Uh, yeah, this bullshit has infested the industry in general.  I don't expect any of the big three to really innovate in a meaningful way.  I figure some indy dev will drive the new trends as the big guns have become too safe and sterile.  Some new IP will catch on out of nowhere and the copycats will follow.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2013, 02:10:29 PM »
I'd rather be "forced" to buy a controller with a screen on it than a camera. One of those, if nothing else, acts as an actual game controller and the other potentially broadcast me across the world walking around my living room without pants. Guess which is which.