Author Topic: how much memory?  (Read 7242 times)

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:how much memory?
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2004, 07:49:58 AM »
Hey, seen33, its not the size, its how you use it. Also thereare problems with CDs. Many CDs have been rendered unplayable because they were encoded with games made by sony . But seriously, DS games don't neet too much space and a Gigabyte is just the starting point.

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: how much memory?
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2004, 12:22:44 PM »
The DS will have a clock. 'Cause I said so.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2004, 02:30:37 PM »

1 GigaBit is not very much. I mean the PSP has 1.8 GigaBYTES..... that 14 GigaBITS and is bigger then a gamecube disc. Im very dissapointed now. I was assuming nintendos disks would hold AT LEAST 1 GB...not 128MB

128 MB is comparable to N64 sized cartridges if not bigger than many. Did Ocarina of Time have "too little space?"  Didn't think so, and this is just a starting point. It just gets bigger from here.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline ActorJ

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2004, 04:09:33 PM »
the absolute largest N64 games was 64 megabytes, and there was only ONE game that size. DS smallest size is 128mbytes, and it only gets bigger from there.

Nothing to worry about. Heck, there were MANY PC games in the mid 90's that had full voice acting and still were under 200mbytes in size.  

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2004, 05:08:53 PM »
About the mic thing couldn't they make it like a computer monitor mic where it can be easy to hear voices.  I don't get off my chair to put my mouth on top of it so it looks like I'm kissing it or something.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2004, 05:24:52 PM »
Seen33...ever hear the saying "Size isn't everything"?
Well, sometimes thats flat out wrong, BUT OTHER TIMES, well that statement has real merit.
Consider what exactly that amount of storage is used for....it is mainly for three things: 1) rendered movies, 2) redbook audio and/or voice acting and 3) increasingy higher resolution texture game art.
Looking at that, considering that this is a portable system, is it really that important to have FMV intros and outros? Hell, was it ever really that important? Recorded music and voice-acting, they can be a nice little extra but again not really that important. (High quality music in particular is attainable with the right programming and compositional talent and amount of effort). And finally, high-res textures and background art....meaningless on the DS's screen.

In short, dont sweat it. What we have here is an N64 like system with decidely larger-than-N64 game capacities right off the bat. If anything, be worried that the 4 MB of RAM may end up limiting developers, but don't sweat this size contest when it comes to media.

Offline SuperMario35

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2004, 08:44:54 AM »
I just heard one of the editors at IGN that the DS may need a memory card? He said that it will be hard and expensive for Nintendo to make games save on the game card but he's not quite sure of of this what do you think?

Offline Crono

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2004, 10:57:14 AM »
well i would be very pissed because the reason i like cartridge systems is because i dont have to use a memory card i mean the N64 did need 1 with some games, but there wasnt that many games that needed it in fact the only game i had that needed a memory card was offroad challenge. heck if this happens maybe ill just get a psp it'll have better graphics and tales of eternia,but maybe im just being to drastic.
Current games im playing : Total Annihilation Kingdoms (PC) True Crime Streets Of LA. (GC) Soul Caliber II (GC) Xenogears (PSX)
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II (GC)

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2004, 11:43:27 AM »
You guys seen the preview for the Shin'en DS game NANOSTRAY?
Well, among its features it lists battery backup....not sure what that entails tho.

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2004, 12:05:01 PM »
That is odd. It obviously won't literally be a battery-fed, volatile memory. So presumably they mean that it will have writable memory similar to the vast majority of GBA games.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2004, 12:07:34 PM »
Yea, honestly it doesnt say one thing or the other in terms of using memory cards or what....I actually think its mentioned moreso because Shin'en was criticized with using password saves for their two Iridion games (Nanostray is along the lines of Irdion) on the GBA.