Author Topic: Your pet peeves *in* games?  (Read 17090 times)

Offline RCmodeler

• banned
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Your pet peeves *in* games?
« on: August 11, 2004, 03:11:09 AM »
I hate games with slow text scrolling. Like Zelda Ocarina of Time. Especially when I've died 100 times, and I want to skip the dialogue, but the game forces you to s-l-o-w-l-y re-read the same old stuff.  I prefer the games with adjustable text speeds.

I DON'T like games that allow you to change direction in mid-air (Mario). Okay yes I like Mario, but that aspect has always bothered me. You're a humanoid character, not a bird. In the real world when you jump off a cliff, you can't just turn around in mid-air. You drop to your death. Realistic jumps should be like Pitfall-style jumps...when you leave the ground, you're committed.

POWERSLIDES:I also don't like racing games that claim to be recreating reality (Daytona USA), but allow you to "slide" around corners. On dirt, yes, but on macadam? No Way. When the car loses traction, and the tires are squeeling, you're screwed. Time to kiss the wall.

ENDINGS: Games could end like many movies and novels do: Half survive. Half die. I'd be happy with that. One thing I liked about FF10 is that it was NOT a happy ending. 3 key characters ended up dead (okay ghosts).

STUPID PUZZLES: I'm in the middle of playing Wild Arms 3, fighting monsters, exploring, enjoying the story. And suddenly I have to stop all that, and go find a stupid cat. I've literally wasted HOURS on this damn cat, and it has *nothing* to do with the *reason* I bought the game (fighting/exploring/story). STUPID PROGRAMMERS. I don't buy RPGs to waste time chasing a stupid pussy around... so why the helll did you put it there?!?!? STICK TO THE CORE GAME. Don't add dumbass kiddie stuff like "chase the kitty" or "dress Cloud like a girl". I want battles/exploration/story. That's what I paid for. Save that other trash for the next Sims game.

TOO MUCH REALISM:
Get out of bed.
Dress.
Eat.
Work.
Repeat.
That's not a game. That's my boring life. I don't play games to live *another* boring life. I play games to escape it, experience excitement, and do stuff I can't do for real (like race NASCAR).

And finally: RESIDENT EVIL: S-L-O-W-L-Y OPENING DOOR/LADDER/STAIRS:
I agree this was a good solution to "disguise" the PS1's slow loading times, but why do they dontinue using this on the N64 carts and PS2/GameCube DVDs??? The room-to-room loading times are virtually non-existent with modern media.

This "style" should die. It just wastes the player's time. (And looks cheesy.)

Disclaimer: The message you just read is my opinion.  If you do not like my opinion, I apologize in advance.  Please explain where my opinion is wrong or fallacious.  Thank you. -----  PLAY GAMES FOR FREE! -   http://www.atariguide.com

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
RE: Your pet peeves *in* games?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 03:40:43 AM »
My pet peeves *out* of games include talking during a movie and people who chew with their mouth open.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 03:43:59 AM »
My pet peeve is people complaining about two completely opposite sides of the spectrum: particularly complaining about the lack of realism AND too much realism in games... -_-
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 03:45:05 AM »

I DON'T like games that allow you to change direction in mid-air (Mario). Okay yes I like Mario, but that aspect has always bothered me. You're a humanoid character, not a bird. In the real world when you jump off a cliff, you can't just turn around in mid-air. You drop to your death. Realistic jumps should be like Pitfall-style jumps...when you leave the ground, you're committed.

TOO MUCH REALISM:
Get out of bed.
Dress.
Eat.
Work.
Repeat.
That's not a game. That's my boring life. I don't play games to live *another* boring life. I play games to escape it, experience excitement, and do stuff I can't do for real (like race NASCAR).

Hypocrite?

I hate games with slow text scrolling. Like Zelda Ocarina of Time. Especially when I've died 100 times, and I want to skip the dialogue, but the game forces you to s-l-o-w-l-y re-read the same old stuff. I prefer the games with adjustable text speeds.

Luckily that isn't a problem in Wind Waker.

I agree with you about Resident Evil though.

Something that annoys me in games is... eh i cant think of anything right now.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 03:46:30 AM »
Hey everyone I totally hate gameplay in video games. Mario should not be able to jump because he is so very large, cars should not be able to drive because their wheels are not made with enough polygons. That is so silly, the cars should explode! I think games are not realistic and that sucks, but I hate realistic games! Side quests are stupid because they add to the length of the game! BWA BWA BWA BWAAAA.  

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
RE:Your pet peeves *in* games?
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 03:54:25 AM »
My pet peeves *out* of games are:
~ Hypocrites: People who have double-standards and cannot see past the end of their nose AT THE SAME TIME.
~ Ignorance: Apparently it's bliss. I wouldn't know.

STUPID PROGRAMMERS

1. It was probably the designer, not the coder, who decided to put in that "chase the cat" sidequest.

This "style" should die. It just wastes the player's time. (And looks cheesy.)

2. The door animations are still in the GC and PS2 versions. It won't die while optical media is in use. No matter how big the media is, there is always a delay from the time you open the door, to the time you end up in the next room. Don't blame the developers for this either.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 04:01:10 AM »

Originally posted by: Shift KeyNo matter how big the media is, there is always a delay from the time you open the door, to the time you end up in the next room.

It is the future and there is time for... Door animations!
"BWUP BWUP BWUP BWUP, WAAAH!"
"Animation Wave!"

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 04:12:47 AM »
Use of poison in any game, ever, is of extremely marginal consequence.

Any game that still has load time in this day and age is behind the times. This year, it should be abolished forever. People should get over the door thing in RE, though, I'm tired of hearing about it.

I strongly dislike putting in experience/levels in games that don't really need it. Which, IMO, is pretty much every game that isn't a tweaky statbastard of a game like Disgaea. I LOATHE the arcade version of SC2's Conquest almost as much as I do the people that exclusively play that mode.

I hate collecting items or finding hundreds objects to "100%" a game. That's a given for most of us, I'm sure.

Something that made me really angry about a couple certain Mortal Kombat games are depressing endings. Like, you kill everyone and reign supreme, but in the ending, your character dies anyway, or their writeup doesn't even place them as beating the boss? WTF? (Scorpion's MK DA ending was the worst ever)

Offline Infernal Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 04:25:19 AM »
Please collect 700 bananas, 472 coins, every blade of grass, 31, 000 coconuts, acid MINES, Diddy Kong's hats, 45 wool balls, three big bags of trash, 68 dollars of Monopoly money, 170, 500 golden keys and the moon to finish the first level of Donkey Kong 64 plz.

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 04:32:56 AM »
I hate games that are film licences and are purely money beehotches. Most people do.

I also hate when people release games on Xbox, Gamecube, PS2 and GBA. Xbox GC and PS2 are okay, they are all pretty similar in the way they are presented, but GBA???? There is no way they are going to put effort into this and make it anything good. Its gonna be something that trys to be like the console games but will end up looking and playing worse than Lisa Riley in her nighty eating dung.

Offline RCmodeler

• banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2004, 05:11:25 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
particularly complaining about the lack of realism AND too much realism in games... -_-
Yes, just like you can have too little beer (none) or too much beer (pass-out and die).  The middle road is the best.  i.e I want to drive a car that realistically portrays sliding off the track & hitting a wall, but I do NOT want to waste time visiting a restaurant before/after the race to make sure my driver is well-fed and healthy.  (That is what GT: Sin City will be doing...stupid.)  It's boring/mundane.

As for Resident Evil's doors/stairs animations: (1) loading time on the N64 carts is zero.  It wasn't necessary to insert the animations...waste of gamers' time.  (2) Loading times on PS2/GC are less than a second... again, no need to insert those stupid animations.  IMHO if Metroid Prime can provide a smooth transition, so too can/should Resident Evil Zero.

Disclaimer: The message you just read is my opinion.  If you do not like my opinion, I apologize in advance.  Please explain where my opinion is wrong or fallacious.  Thank you. -----  PLAY GAMES FOR FREE! -   http://www.atariguide.com

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2004, 07:16:17 AM »
I actually enjoy collecting 500000 gigacogs to reach ultimate completion of a game!  But I agree that it needs to be kept in check more.  The player should feel like each thingamajig he or she picks up is actually worth something (as opposed to all of the bananas in DK64), and shouldn't have to cover every inch of the world with a fine-toothed comb to find the collectibles (as opposed to certain Blue Coins in Super Mario Sunshine).

Here's my tiny pet peeve: games where they couldn't be bothered to make the music loop correctly.  It really takes me out of the game (and kills the music) when a song ends and then abruptly starts all over again from the beginning.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2004, 09:18:09 AM »

POWERSLIDES:I also don't like racing games that claim to be recreating reality (Daytona USA), but allow you to "slide" around corners. On dirt, yes, but on macadam? No Way. When the car loses traction, and the tires are squeeling, you're screwed. Time to kiss the wall.

August is drifto month.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2004, 10:48:21 AM »
I hated the mindless collecting in starfox  especially you need this bag to carry more.......... USELESS CRAP AHAH hey there was even a BAMFOTOAD BAG that S-U-P-E-R holds dearly to his heart .

EDIT: But the biggest thing that annoys the hell out of me are the SUPER DE DUPER EVIL NESS CALLED PASSWORD SAVE . Sorry I had to get that out of my system.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2004, 10:55:19 AM »
"I hate collecting items or finding hundreds objects to "100%" a game. That's a given for most of us, I'm sure."

Naw you shouldn't hate that.  "Hundred percenting" should always be optional and you should get some cheezy reward for it.  It's when they say "OK Get 40 chartruse bog bananas to get past a door to the next level that you should get the irk for.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2004, 02:37:47 PM »
ICE LEVELS!!!
I hate ice levels. I hate the way they always have slipperly floors that totally knock you off your game and send you plummeting into pits and off the sides. I hated World 6 in Super Mario 3. I hated the Ice temples in Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker. And I hated climbing that damn snowman in Super Mario 64! GRAHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Well, I guess I can tolerate them okay, but most likely, once I get through those levels I won't be coming back through.

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2004, 04:51:05 PM »
Don't forget the ice sections in Comander Keen, they were hilariously fun, what with the giant ice machine that turns you into an ice cube.. damn I feel like playing those again now. Ice sections are cool yo.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2004, 05:46:11 PM »
To the thread starter:  Why are you even playing Japanese games?  If you want realism play games with realism.  You also talk of too much realism in a game.  Well things such as what you explained can be fun especially in a Japanese game.  Unless you talk of Sims.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2004, 06:12:43 PM »

I hate games that are film licences and are purely money beehotches. Most people do.
I'd agree with you, but there are some movie games which are going agains this trend. But yeah, most of the film licensed movies are rushed jobs.

However, I saw a preview for a game based on The Punisher in EB recently. When they showed Frank Castle interrogating people in creative ways, such as pulling down a fire escape ladder to pin a guy, and threatening another guy's groin with a bandsaw, I got very interested. I also hoped that this game doesn't suck when it does come out

Here's a snippet from a Gamespy preview:

One had The Punisher pointing a foe's head towards a rotating Gattling gun. He would dip his target's head towards the gun as he questioned him. It was cool watching the baddie violently tremble with fear. It was even cooler letting his head totally ram into the gun.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2004, 07:11:55 PM »
I bet that punisher turns out to be another enter the matrix.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2004, 08:03:46 PM »
I hate it when games suck.  That's really annoying.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2004, 08:10:46 PM »
I hate first person shooters.  I used to like them a lot.  I now hate them.  We need a mandate that says no first person shooters are allowed to be released for the next 2 years... Then i'll play one again and enjoy it.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2004, 08:38:00 PM »
well Pale tell that to Bungie, EA and countless other FPS developers for console and PC.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2004, 08:54:34 PM »

Originally posted by: RCmodeler

Der derrr de durrr durrrp

http://www.onewest.net/~superty/ae86.wmv

Offline Infernal Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2004, 08:54:39 PM »

Originally posted by: RCmodelerAs for Resident Evil's doors/stairs animations: (1) loading time on the N64 carts is zero.  It wasn't necessary to insert the animations...waste of gamers' time.  (2) Loading times on PS2/GC are less than a second... again, no need to insert those stupid animations.  IMHO if Metroid Prime can provide a smooth transition, so too can/should Resident Evil Zero.

Shadowgate 64 had to load, too. Because it was so very awesome. MORE awesome than Blues Brothers 2000 and Duel Heroes combined. MORE. Also, what's this about one second loading times on PS2 and GC? Rent out Quake III Arena on PS2, it can take up to two minutes to load.