Author Topic: Best of the Wii: Our Top 10 Third-Party Wii Games  (Read 13287 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Best of the Wii: Our Top 10 Third-Party Wii Games
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2012, 03:19:24 PM »
No big deal. :P

I expected shock at this. Just know it was a team effort. Everyone had to vote for it to make it this high.

Also, in regards to some other games mentioned as possible #1s, some of them were ruled out (The Last Story was a Nintendo game in 2 out of 3 major territories) and one of them won't go ignored.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2012, 06:37:57 PM »
No big deal. :P:

I expected shock at this. Just know it was a team effort. Everyone had to vote for it to make it this high.

Also, in regards to some other games mentioned as possible #1s, some of them were ruled out (The Last Story was a Nintendo game in 2 out of 3 major territories) and one of them won't go ignored.

I assume then it was eligible for consideration in the top 10 Nintendo games or no? Otherwise that seems a little unfair for TLS.

Also, was Monster Hunter Tri in the same boat as TLS? I think Nintendo might have published it in Europe.
Gouge away.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2012, 06:43:22 PM »
It was eligible for the first party top 10, but the voting took place before the game's North American release so not many people had played it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2012, 07:04:06 PM »
Overkill's a good game, but "best 3rd party Wii game"?  Eh...I don't think so.  I'd probably give that to something like The Last Story, GoldenEye, Silent Hill SM, or RE4 Wii.

Xseed Games may have published it here, but The Last Story is first party as they own the IP.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2012, 11:41:01 PM »
As a sports gamer I think Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 deserves a big shoutout as far as top third party games. The Wii version constantly outperformed the HD versions in gameplay and reviews. Was there any other multi-console game other than this series that could claim that?

Which is big when you consider just how bad the sports game landscape ended up being in the Wii. (I still think NHL 2005 and MVP 2005 are the best hockey and baseball games respectively on Nintendo, and they're Gamecube games).

11 managed to improve the Wii Motion Plus controls that were first implemented in 10 and even added a first person mode that was as close to the real thing as you could get (it was actually suggested you place a golf ball on the floor for reference). You had online, plus mini and disc golf. It was always a perfect gift for my dad. Or anyone else's dad who loved golf for that matter.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2012, 01:25:16 AM »
HotD Overkill is not nearly as funny as it thinks it is, and in terms of gameplay, it's the same old mindless light gun shooting that we've seen before. I do think its great production values and absurd soundtrack deserve accommodation. While it's not even my favorite Wii game from this developer (that would be Geometry Wars Galaxies), much less one of my top third-party Wii games overall, I'm glad we're giving it some attention and showcasing the unabashed love that many staff members have for the game. It's a cool, interesting choice that I can respect under protest.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline BlueStorm

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2012, 02:37:33 PM »

I am kind of jealous of all the games I didn't have the chance to try this generation.  My hope is to buy more third party offerings in this next generation.    One of my favorite games from third parties this time around was The Williams Pinball collection.    If they could have dumped the interface and added online leader boards I think it would have deserved an honorable mention:)  Here is to hoping for Pinball Arcade and and a Zen studios pinball game on WiiU.

My hope is to pick up a lot of the 3rd party titles mentioned if I can find them.  As a bonus, many of them will most likely be a good deal cheaper. 

Thanks for running the features, they've been fun to listen to.
<BR>