Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 616084 times)

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
Re: New Wii Zelda
« Reply #600 on: February 06, 2010, 11:55:32 AM »
It would be cool if the torn up tunic wasn't connected to your health. What I mean is that when you take damage your equipment shows wear, and when you heal it doesn't reset your equipment. I would like to see the shield get scuffed and dented as well. In order to fix up your equipment you could buy new stuff. What I don't want is for it to turn into diablo or something where you have to repair your gear all the time or it breaks and becomes useless. I think that if the changes are all aesthetic only, then it won't effect the gameplay if you don't fix your gear, but it would give you something to spend your rupees on. You could also have link get scraped up during battle, but then have the scrapes and stuff heal when you get hearts.
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 06, 2010, 01:21:35 PM »
A tunic shop in town would work. Different colors and slightly different styles.
Your tunic slowly gets destroyed in battle, if you are without a tunic, any damage causes double damage. You have to go get a new tunic. Eventually you can find material that won't do take damage (for your magic tunic <uses rupees in place of loss of hearts> and master tunic <just shows no damage>)

Also maybe the wooden shield would be destroyed and you have to replace it, but the metal shields get scratched, chipped and cracked and need to be replaced(you start taking 1/4 damage while blocking). Only special shields (Master Shield, Mirror Shield, Magic Shield) would never show damage, and that's why they are highly sought after items.

All of that would definitely give you something to spend all those worthless rupees on.

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 06, 2010, 03:13:16 PM »
It would be cool if the torn up tunic wasn't connected to your health. What I mean is that when you take damage your equipment shows wear, and when you heal it doesn't reset your equipment. I would like to see the shield get scuffed and dented as well. In order to fix up your equipment you could buy new stuff. What I don't want is for it to turn into diablo or something where you have to repair your gear all the time or it breaks and becomes useless. I think that if the changes are all aesthetic only, then it won't effect the gameplay if you don't fix your gear, but it would give you something to spend your rupees on. You could also have link get scraped up during battle, but then have the scrapes and stuff heal when you get hearts.

Yeah, my main concern is that it not effect gameplay; I don't want to get to a boss and discover I'm taking double-damage because my tunic's ripped. But in Zelda games I already usually spend all my rupees on the red & green potions; I never find myself with a ton of them left over at the end of the game.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 06, 2010, 03:42:14 PM »
The way I would envision it is that you could carry an extra set of tunicsjust like you can carry extra potions and things like that.

Offline Armak88

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 06, 2010, 04:05:19 PM »
I don't think I would want attacks to do more damage, like I said before, I would prefer it not affect the gameplay at all. The motivation for buying a new tunic or shield would be superficial, just to not be walking around in tatters with and a dented up shield. I like the idea of different styles of tunics and shields and then certain equipment that is invulnerable. That way even if you have the special tunic or shield you might prefer to use other equipment because you like the way it looks, and that would be your incentive to keep it in good shape.

If it's going to affect gameplay at all, I would rather that NPC's react differently to you when your clothing is in bad shape. Maybe a certain side quest are requires you to have an expensive tunic that impresses hylian aristocrats. Or maybe people don't treat you with respect if your tunic is ripped up and you get kicked out of certain shops.
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 06, 2010, 04:46:10 PM »
I like that. Reminds me of MM when people would say different things depending on the mask.

edit oh no, i just had another idea  :Q for those that want a girl Link.. how about a Some Like it Hot plot line.

The musician angle, the train, NPC "interaction", stealth, mobsters/moblins, the alternate outfits... it all fits perfectly with Zelda as Marilyn Monroe.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 05:17:52 PM by Zap »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 07, 2010, 12:09:13 AM »
Remember that Ocarina of Time had the destroyable wooden shield initially so you could see something similar return. Also you could lose your standard Hylian shield by those worm monsters that ate you and spat you out without your equipment and you had to kill them to get it back. That happens in most every Zelda game. Also in Majora's Mask on of the middle sword upgrades - the Razor Sword- would break after a number of uses unless you completed a quest to upgrade it a second time before if breaks. So there is precedence for damageable equipment.

Also, instead of taking more damage when your weapons and equipment take damage, how about that is how you get the special 'energy bolts'. In previous games Link could shoot energy bolts from his sword when he had full health but in this game maybe that power is hinged on proper equipment care. That move was never essential to playing the game but was a nice and fun addition and added extra incentive and challenge to make sure you never got hit and lost the power. So if your sword wears down you have to take it to the blacksmith to get it re-tempered.

My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 07, 2010, 02:42:40 AM »
All this sounds too RPG'ie to me.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 07, 2010, 01:54:17 PM »

Isn't Zelda Nintendo's idea of an RPG? I like the idea of Link's tunic taking damage as he loses hearts. Perhaps as the outfit becomes damaged, you could replace the damaged pieces with that of othe clothing, like giving Link a shoulder pad. How about giving Link a cape or cloak to wear over his Tunic.

Second, I have heard that the master sword will not be in the game, so, what if the game tell the story of how the master sword will come into exisistence. Supposedly Nintendo wants to introduce sword skills that can be unlocked for particular weapons. Maybe Link starts out with a normal sword and over the course of the game as you upgrade it progressivly becomes the Master Sword. Once the final boss is beaten, Link already has the master sword and then places it into the pedastal for future Links to use in battle.

Lastly, I have heared that Nintendo is thinking of introducing flight mechanics into the game. So people believe that a airship could appear over the land of hyrule. However, how a device similar to the flying machins in Assassins Creed 2. You could control the flight mechanics similar to the plane Wii Sports Resort. Or you coud flap your arms(motion control) to make the machine fly.

Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 07, 2010, 02:05:39 PM »

Isn't Zelda Nintendo's idea of an RPG?

Nah. They've produced plenty of full-blown RPGs throughout the years (Earthbound, Golden Sun, etc.). Zelda's never been on that list.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 07, 2010, 02:32:09 PM »
How about giving Link a cape or cloak to wear over his Tunic.
Only if it makes him invisible...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 07, 2010, 02:43:20 PM »
Zelda is classified as an Action RPG.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 07, 2010, 03:10:01 PM »
the tunic thing wouldnt be that hard, he would just have to heave a seperate model for the tunic, and the texture would just get replaced by alpha decals.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Armak88

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 07, 2010, 10:23:44 PM »
the tunic thing wouldnt be that hard, he would just have to heave a seperate model for the tunic, and the texture would just get replaced by alpha decals.

As was already mentioned, something like this was already done with the masks in MM, so it is certainly possible. I realize that it borders dangerously close to RPG territory, and the last thing I want is to have to worry about the durability of my equipment in battle and spend time doing inventory management. That's why it would be far more effective if is used in the same manner as the masks in MM to elicit different reactions from NPC's.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 07, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
well,  with the new sword mechanics, battling might reach new levels of complexity, so they may just be harder, and armor update system might be in the cards to adjust for the added difficulty. I don't mind RPG elemenents in Zelda, just as long as it doesn't become some shitty JRPG or a level-up-athon.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: February 07, 2010, 11:11:42 PM »
Oh god, I don't want that JRPG stuff. The only recent JRPG I played recently was Secret of Mana via VC, and that wasn't bad on the JRPG stats.

How is your opinion on Zelda 2, Perm?
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 08, 2010, 03:51:59 AM »
i have never really played classic Zelda games in depth (i do own the special edition gcn disc with Zelda 1 & 2), and their just hard for me to get into. I might pop them in sometime, but i got into the series in the n64 era, and playing them is strange.  From what i did play of 2 i was annoyed by the sort of almost random fight scenes, at least they weren't turned based. On the other hand there are RPGs i do like, like Earthbound and Paper Mario. Im an outsider on the FFVII deal, i never liked that game, i never enjoyed it. Even in that time period i thought it was overated, and the gameplay was annoying, and the story was unimpressive.

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: February 08, 2010, 08:52:58 AM »
Im an outsider on the FFVII deal, i never liked that game, i never enjoyed it. Even in that time period i thought it was overated, and the gameplay was annoying, and the story was unimpressive.

Totally agree on that.  FFVII was pretty much the most over-rated game ever, a total horror-show of cringe-inducing melodrama and cardboard characters, which weren't helped by the crap presentation.

Even worse, it seemed to mark the point where Square's collective head started to swell beyond all imagining, a process no doubt much aided by all the frothing people did over FFVII.  After that, one gets the impression Square thought of themselves as "artists"...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: February 09, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
Do you think Nintendo could introduce hand-to-hand combat for when Link is not using his sword? Link could punch and kick via motion controls in the same Travis Touchdown used them for his beam katana.

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• Little Black Rain Cloud
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
    • moronsonofboron @ deviantART
« Reply #619 on: February 09, 2010, 09:50:41 PM »
Link's Balance Board Aerobics Training?
Eat lightning and crap thunder.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: February 09, 2010, 09:57:58 PM »
Link's Balance Board Aerobics Training?

Use the Vitality Sensor, and Link starts panting when you do!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #621 on: February 09, 2010, 10:01:41 PM »
The Tae-Bo of Zelda
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: February 09, 2010, 10:35:08 PM »
I've always loved the fact that, although structured, Zelda is wide open in its possibilities. It's one series that seems to use each technological advantage a system has better than any game out there, dare I say, even better than Mario. No matter how you look at the idea to use cel-shading or the transformation to a wolf, Zelda has consistently tweaked their gameplay for the better in each iteration. It's amazing really and a testiment to how devoted Nintendo is to making a great game. And I can't help but feel that this one, this New Wii Zelda, will be even better than everyone before it.

We've all speculated for years now on how the game will play or what the design will be or even what tools Link will use (and even speculated a Zelda game without Link). Well I know something that isn't speculation: Zelda Wii will be the finest looking, cleanest controlling, most respected game on the Wii or any console. So all aboard the hype train!
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: February 09, 2010, 11:36:16 PM »
The Legend of Zelda wii will probably be the Batman Begins of the franchise. I have heared that Nintendo talked about how the old Zelda formula is getting a little stale and that this new game will set the standard for future wii games to build upon like OoT did for MM, WW and TP. Essesntially a reboot of the series, but Nintendo will keep what made the old games popular while adding something fresh so that the series does not get old and dated. I have a strong feeling that what ever this new game is that it will rock the foundation of the series, probably more than OoT did in the N64 era.

Secondly, I have a hunch that sometime in this decade Nintendo will fully embrace online gaming and once this happens, there is a possibility that there could be a LoZ MMO in the near future. I am not saying the new game will be an MMO, but a future game in the series might be some day.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 09, 2010, 11:42:58 PM »
Development for the game did start right after Twilight Princess was finished, and if the formula, which IMHO was starting to get a bit stale, is changed up for the better, this could end up being the Wii's crown jewel.

Which is currently held by Super Mario Galaxy.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?