Author Topic: Wii MotionPlus Over Responsive According to EA  (Read 8869 times)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Wii MotionPlus Over Responsive According to EA
« on: April 05, 2009, 05:55:02 PM »
EA developers that are working with the new peripheral claim that the new technology is so accurate, that it's over responsive at times.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=18119

Even though the Wii MotionPlus doesn't have an official release date, it won't stop publisher EA from releasing Grand Slam Tennis and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10, which support the peripheral, in June.    

In an interview with TechRadar, EA producers Thomas Singleton and Mike Taramykin explained how the Wii MotionPlus functions and all the different types of challenges EA had while developing two of the first titles that support NintendoÂ’s new peripheral.    

According to Thomas Singleton, the producer of Grand Slam Tennis, "the game calibrates your hand motions, your WiiMote position, in relation to the sensors and after getting that calibration from the sensors, it's detecting where you are in relation from the shortest sensor point; up to down, left to right, then it maps those one-to-one movements to the character in the game." The biggest challenge that the Grand Slam development team had is that the Wii MotionPlus is too sensitive, so then team had to limit the fidelity of the peripheral to give the players "full total control."    

Mike Taramykin, the producer of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10, described the technology of the peripheral saying that "[it] incorporates a vibrating structure gyroscope," which "measures the vibrating structure's resistance to changes in orientation." Tarmykin said that "by accumulating these incremental changes, [they] can calculate a very good estimate of the Wii Remote's orientation."    

When both producers were asked if it was challenging to incorporate Wii MotionPlus into each respective game, both producers said that it was easy. Nintendo provided software libraries to help the development team understand what the peripheral actually does. The only challenging steps were to figure how to utilize the peripheral and modify pre-existing game code to accommodate the new possible motions, and to modify the character animations to match those motions for a 1:1 experience.

PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Wii MotionPlus Over Responsive According to EA
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
Sweet. Now my poor performance in golf and tennis will translate accurately in to the video game. Awesome!

(Seriously, I think this is awesome.)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 05:29:36 PM »
Sweet. Now my poor performance in golf and tennis will translate accurately in to the video game. Awesome!

I agree. It is kind of funny that something as simple as a dongle attachment can take the Wii so far. It seems to be almost a generational step.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 05:37:10 PM »

I agree. It is kind of funny that something as simple as a dongle attachment can take the Wii so far. It seems to be almost a generational step.

Yeah. I wonder if internally some people at Nintendo just wanted to hold back on WM+ until Wii 2.

I think Nintendo might need to educate the masses that subtle hand movements are ok, you don't need to jump around like a wild chimp when you play Wii Sports.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 06:05:18 PM »
I think Nintendo might need to educate the masses that subtle hand movements are ok, you don't need to jump around like a wild chimp when you play Wii Sports.

You can play Wii Sports sitting on your couch, using only small wrist movements. Of course that makes you a FUCKING TOOL.

The movement is a part of the fun, moving generates adrenaline.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 09:30:34 PM »

Nintendo's been trying to do that since the Wii launched I think the masses are too stupid to realize that and they should give up trying.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 11:20:52 PM »
I think it's interesting how in depth the EA producers went in describing the technology, how sensitive the tech is to a point that they had to limit it in order for it to function properly in their games.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Tuxedo.Bond

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 11:55:49 PM »
I want a proper lightsaber battle.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 12:11:54 AM »
Don't we all.

Hey what does everybody think would be good uses for Motion+?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 12:37:17 AM »
Don't we all.

Fishing.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 12:41:40 AM »
I see GP.There haven't been that many good fishing games aside from the side quest in Zelda:TP
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 12:43:16 AM »
Don't we all.

Zack & Wiki 2 and anything involving swordplay.  So yeah, hopefully Zelda Wii and some sort of Star Wars game.  Maybe even No More Heroes 2.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 12:48:54 AM »
Zack and Wiki had some excelent controls.No More Heroes 2 would be nice and it is a ways off so if Suda51 wanted he could impliment it.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 01:23:23 AM »
Thief.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 01:25:16 AM »
I see GP.There haven't been that many good fishing games aside from the side quest in Zelda:TP

It really has been quite pathetic, even with the limited motion controls there is still no excuse for there to not be one good fishing game.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 01:29:05 AM »

It really has been quite pathetic, even with the limited motion controls there is still no excuse for there to not be one good fishing game.

Sure there is.  Nintendo hasn't come up with the right mold for a snap-on Wiimote fishing rod peripheral to ship with an upcoming Wii Fish*.  We'll see a real fishing presence once Nintendo finds a way to assign a plastic peripheral attachment to it, as seems to be the way of things on Wii.

*not a real game
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 01:34:47 AM »
Hmm there was a topic that had lots of nice ways to use the Wiimote when it was announced.I'm going to try and find it.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 01:35:56 AM »
Hmm there was a topic that had lots of nice ways to use the Wiimote when it was announced.I'm going to try and find it.

Lol yeah, it is funny that the Wii Motion Plus is actually fulfilling promises made BACK BEFORE WII CAME OUT!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 02:35:40 AM »

Ah here it is
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 02:55:27 AM »

If you're willing to settle for neon colored plastic sticks Wii Sports Resort has that.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 02:14:44 PM »
Zack & Wiki 2 and anything involving swordplay. 

I hope you're joking.  The swordplay in the original was easily the weakest part of the game.  I had to replay the last level (or maybe it was the second-to-last) like ten flipping times because I could never get the sword controls to work.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 03:05:27 PM by vudu »
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 02:54:44 PM »
Lotion Puss is too sensitive, data discharges prematurely, leaving the programmers with a mess, embarrassment, and shame.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 02:58:16 PM »
Zack & Wiki 2 and anything involving swordplay.  So yeah, hopefully Zelda Wii and some sort of Star Wars game.  Maybe even No More Heroes 2.

I hope you're joking.  The swordplay in the original was easily the weakest part of the game.  I had to replay the last level (or maybe it was the second-to-last) like ten flipping times because I could never get the sword controls to work.

For NMH? (I've never played Zach and Wiki so i don't know if theres any sword elements there you're reffering to)

If you couldn't get those swipes to work then maybe somethings wrong with your wiimote, cuz those were very easy to pull off. The only time i had trouble with motion controlls in that game was when performing wrestling moves that required the nunchuck. i feel like maybe my timing was off with those and one accelerometer would activate before the other.

By the end of the game though it was a peice of cake pulling off
all those moves.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 03:05:13 PM »
I was referring to Zack & Wiki.  Sorry that wasn't clear.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 08:04:19 PM »
Zack & Wiki 2 and anything involving swordplay. 

AND, vudu. AND.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig