Author Topic: The Conduit's Looking Good  (Read 18176 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
The Conduit's Looking Good
« on: April 04, 2009, 04:42:49 AM »
High Voltage has one good-looking FPS in the latest trailer.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=18112

Sega's latest trailer for The Conduit was released a while back (I actually thought it was up already since it's been sitting on my desktop, but in my old age I must have been distracted by Wheel of Fortune...mmmm Sajak), and it's looking great.  This newest clip really shows off what High Voltage is doing in terms of environments and enemies, and shows how you can blow up stuff real good.    

The Conduit is currently scheduled for a June release.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: The Conduit's Looking Good
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 01:03:24 PM »
i thought i would be over it, but i'm still sad that no split screen multiplayer. I'll still buy it but damn it I want it

Offline Dropkik

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 02:13:16 PM »
I'm glad that they got Mark Shepard to do the voice of the main character, the placeholder they were using in the debut trailer wasn't terrible, just really bland.  Plus Romo Lampkin was one of the best characters in Battlestar Galactica.
Dancing on the rain-slicked precipice of pretension

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 02:42:13 PM »
A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER. ON WII.

/trailer

Needs more info
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 02:51:20 PM »
Whoa. A bunch of (alien?) garble at the end of that trailer.
The game is looking good; lets hope it delivers.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 02:56:58 PM »
Why is it that awesome games tend to have really bland titles?

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 03:01:12 PM »

/trailer

Needs more info

Yeah seriously.  It's almost like they thought that the very thought of a Wii FPS would induce so much shock and awe that they didn't need to add any more details.  It's the video game equivalent of yelling "Sexual Chocolate", dropping the microphone, and walking offstage.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 03:45:16 PM »
i thought i would be over it, but i'm still sad that no split screen multiplayer. I'll still buy it but damn it I want it

Meanwhile Hudson puts splitscreen multiplayer into Water Warfare...

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 08:53:44 PM »

/trailer

Needs more info

Yeah seriously.  It's almost like they thought that the very thought of a Wii FPS would induce so much shock and awe that they didn't need to add any more details.  It's the video game equivalent of yelling "Sexual Chocolate", dropping the microphone, and walking offstage.

It's the equivalent of making yourself look like a dumbass on stage? I don't see the correlation.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 08:57:34 PM »
I wonder what fans will pay attention to the most...if the game actually delivers in all fronts or if its a solid seller.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Tuxedo.Bond

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 09:13:30 PM »
I wonder what fans will pay attention to the most...if the game actually delivers in all fronts or if its a solid seller.

The popularity.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 09:20:13 PM »
I think the hype and the desperate need for this game to sell is what could damage its potential in the long run. Right now fans are seeing this game as the Holy Grail of core gaming on the Wii. Its what for many will vindicate the Wii as the platform for all genres of gaming. If it does well people will celebrate, if it doesn't it will be the end of the world.

Look at Madworld. The game has only been out for a month and fans are already crying, whining and pulling their hair out at the "poor sales". And that game doesn't compare to Conduit in terms of pure hype!

The game has too much pressure and I hope it does well enough.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 09:54:09 PM »
It's probably just that I like to worry, but I have this feeling that people are putting too much stock in The Conduit. It looks kind of generic, like if it were being released on the XBox 360 nobody would even take notice. It's just getting hyped up because it is the only exclusive FPS on a system starved for FPS games.

The Conduit isn't a game within a franchise so it has no existing fans, and it isn't something which Nintendo's new audience are likely to be interested in. The game may not stand a chance. Even if it does sell well, I can just see publishers finding some lame excuse as to why it is an exception and that the Wii is only for teh casualz.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see someone is releasing a game like this. The problem is, I'm worried that everyone is going to have such unrealistic expectations for it that they have no chance of being anything other than disappointed. Some people are passing this off as a Halo 3 killer, and there's no way it could be. Even if it's a good game, it could receive a cold reception if everyone is expected something that it isn't.

What kind of message is that going to send to publishers? That there's no way to satisfy the "hardcore" crowd on Wii, so why bother trying? They'll continue with the low-budget crap which has a higher chance of profit. If this game has the power to convince more publishers to make Wii games if it's successful then it can just as easily scare them off if it tanks. The thought of a single game having this much influence is what scares me.

I can't help but wonder if the Internet does more harm than good. Just think about it: back in the day, most people didn't have Internet access, and they got their gaming news through short articles in magazines or even later through advertisements. These days, information about games is available on the Internet as soon as it breaks, every new little detail is reported on, and multiple sources are covering the same games. You can learn so much about a game and have it hyped like crazy before you even have a chance to buy it, and by then your expectations could have become so insanely high that there's no way the game could live up to them.

All of this information readily available can ruin surprises in games as well. How many people found out that Luigi is playable in Super Mario Galaxy before they bought it? How many people here did I just spoil that for? :P

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 10:21:04 PM »
I think the internet has ruined A LOT of things due to too much information. We now have daily blogs detailing information on the making of a game or movie. We have industry leaks, exclusive footage and direct access to conferences. We now know too much. And because of that, our enjoyment of the game, movie, toy, song etc. is ruined because the element of discovery is gone and now we have a pre-determined opinion of something we haven't even seen.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 10:26:58 PM »
From a visual standpoint, it looks very good.  It also looks like every other Sci-Fi FPS I've ever seen or played.  I hope Conduit does well, if only for the sake of quality 3rd party support on Wii.  But I've seen absolutely nothing about this game that makes me think the developers are striving for anything original or new, and are in fact only coasting by on the fact that it'll be one of the bigger fishes in an incredibly small pond.  I really have mixed feelings about this game, because I'm not sure we should be rewarding a company for putting something out that's fairly generic just because they're the only game in town.  On the other hand, it's obvious that they're also one of the few companies on the Wii who actually want to cater to us.  So yeah, I really don't know what to think about this game.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 11:55:26 PM »
Sexual Chocolate?

Even though it's generic, I think The Conduit will stand out on the Wii like DOA did on the XBOX and Killzone did on the PS2.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 04:16:21 AM »
Considering how stupid the story sounds so far I'm wondering if the game will actually appeal to the core gamers much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 04:32:19 AM »
It's an American thing.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 05:56:33 AM »
Considering how stupid the story sounds so far I'm wondering if the game will actually appeal to the core gamers much.

Halo and Killzone get away with it, why not Conduit?

Also I am going to have to stand up to some of the criticism, the all seeing eye looks like it has promise. It will all depend how they implement it, if implemented well it could actually bring a new layer and innovation to the genre. Also I find it funny ANYONE would say they are coasting, these guys have put a TON of work into the game, and have been open to criticism doing their best to adjust to it as it comes up. Still when it is all said and done I'll likely find MORE enjoyment out of Conduit with Wiimote controls then any FPS on PS3/Xbox 360.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 07:51:16 AM »
Given both Sega published this and madworld, i'm slightly concerned for a PAL fuckup again. Can the staff put my well justified! concerns to rest?

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 08:35:13 AM »
I've got a mate named Michael Ford.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 12:48:10 PM »
It's probably just that I like to worry, but I have this feeling that people are putting too much stock in The Conduit. It looks kind of generic, like if it were being released on the XBox 360 nobody would even take notice. It's just getting hyped up because it is the only exclusive FPS on a system starved for FPS games.

Halo is about as generic as you could have ever gotten and it did great!
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 02:16:30 PM »

Halo and Killzone get away with it, why not Conduit?

Also I am going to have to stand up to some of the criticism, the all seeing eye looks like it has promise. It will all depend how they implement it, if implemented well it could actually bring a new layer and innovation to the genre. Also I find it funny ANYONE would say they are coasting, these guys have put a TON of work into the game, and have been open to criticism doing their best to adjust to it as it comes up. Still when it is all said and done I'll likely find MORE enjoyment out of Conduit with Wiimote controls then any FPS on PS3/Xbox 360.

That they put a lot of work into the game does not negate the fact that they have done nothing to distinguish this game from any other FPS on the market.  So yeah, I'm going to say they're coasting when it comes to originality.  I have not once mocked the work they've put into the game (they have to be some of the most eager developers on Wii), but that still doesn't mean they've convinced me to buy it.  They're trying to sell this game on its graphics and that they haven't found a way to frack up the controls, and that just isn't enough.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 03:01:33 PM »
Halo is about as generic as you could have ever gotten and it did great!
:D True, clearly it's a winning strategy!

They're trying to sell this game on its graphics and that they haven't found a way to frack up the controls, and that just isn't enough.
It would seem they are also sacrificing features to achieve such graphics as well, considering the game doesn't have local multiplayer. If I cared about graphics I wouldn't even own a Wii.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 03:12:43 PM »
I refuse to buy this game on the basis that it doesn't have GBA link cable connectivity.

WHO GAVE HIGH VOLTAGE THE RIGHT?