Author Topic: Dragon Quest X Is an Online RPG  (Read 13589 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Dragon Quest X Is an Online RPG
« on: September 05, 2011, 02:41:03 AM »

Not only will it be for the Wii, a Wii U version will also be made.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/27697

Dragon Quest X will be an online RPG for the Wii and Wii U, the Dragon Quest 25th Anniversary press conference revealed today.

Years after Square Enix announced the tenth iteration of the franchise, Square Enix finally presented solid details regarding the game. The full name of the game is Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku (Awakening of the Five Tribes). It is being produced by Yosuke Saito (Nier producer) and directed by Jin Fujisawa (who directed the last two games in the series, Dragon Quest VIII and IX). Akira Toriyama is handling the character designs and Koichi Sugiyama is in charge of the title's music. Despite rumors of a platform change, the game will indeed be for the Wii and will be an online RPG where a player's allies will also be other players from around the world. Dragon Quest X will be the first in the series in years to be developed internally at Square Enix, after companies like Level 5 had worked on the most recent games.

Dragon Quest X will take place in the kingdom of Astoria, and will be the home of five different races and five unique regions. Despite the game being online, the producers promised that it will have a big narrative behind it all.

In addition to a Wii release, Dragon Quest X will also have a Wii U version. The Wii U version will be graphically superior, but it will take place in the same universe and online play will be cross-platform. Additionally, if players start their game on the Wii they can move it over to the Wii U version.

In terms of control, Dragon Quest X will support the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, as well as the Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro and USB keyboards. If players are not able to find partners to play the game with, NPCs with different AI actions will be assigned to them. Finally, there may be a 3DS feature where players can download their character data onto the handheld, then exchange it with other players with StreetPass.

Details of the pay structure have yet to be announced, but players should expect to pay some kind of subscription charge,

While not a firm release date was given, it is expected that the game is released sometime in 2012.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest X Is an Online RPG
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 03:05:41 AM »
Well, there likely goes my impulse purchase.  I usually can't turn down a decent RPG if it appears on a platform I own but I prefer Single-player only RPGs, thank you very much.  For those that like random strangers and the occasional friend interfering in your epic RPG experience, I guess this game's right up your alley.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 03:18:28 AM »
Hey I called it only yesterday! Yay me.
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Kirbichu

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 03:29:50 AM »
Well, there likely goes my impulse purchase.  I usually can't turn down a decent RPG if it appears on a platform I own but I prefer Single-player only RPGs, thank you very much.  For those that like random strangers and the occasional friend interfering in your epic RPG experience, I guess this game's right up your alley.

You're not required to play online. You can still play the game just with AI.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 03:34:56 AM »
I agree as suggested in the other thread. The Wii version most likely won't be released outside of Japan. The Wii U version will be the international release. If this is to do well outside of Japan at the levels it needs to do well (not simply they'd like as before) I won't be surprised to see NCL/SE have NoA repeat everything it says word for word and shut it's mouth outside of that. NoA I don't believe has the competence to sell this on it's own if Nintendo ends up being the publisher. So I'm hoping Square-Enix is handling it all.

This also means Dragon Quest X is even further off, even if the Wii U only version outside of Japan isn't the route they take. That drys up the Wii release schedule even more.

The game is sounding and looking more Phantasy Star Online/Universe then full mmorpg like Final Fantasy 14, Everquest 2, etc.

Video of the game.

http://nintendoeverything.com/73061/
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 03:47:18 AM by NeoStar9X »

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 07:36:12 AM »
The Wii version better come to the US. I will not buy a Wii U if they only bring that version out in NA. That would truly PO me to a point I can't imagine.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 08:30:01 AM »
I really REALLY hope this turns out to be a Dragon Quest MMO. If the PS2 can run one (FFXI) with an add-on HDD, then the Wii version can, too. It's not like Square hasn't done this before. Also, if this turns out to be true, then I'm definitely getting the Wii U version. I'd want it to look as graphically sharp as it possibly can.

Based on the single screenshot that's been released thus far, it really does look like an MMO. The game's title even hints at this as the game has five different races in five unique regions fighting together for a cause. I just can't see it being anything other than an MMO. And DQ lends itself quite well to this format anyway -- races, job system, battle system, etc. It would be perfect.

Very excited to hear more. 2012's gonna be an interesting year.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 09:00:42 AM »
What's interesting is this "USB memory" they refer to as coming with the Wii game.
Could this be their storage solution for saving player data and new content to? An 8gb memory stick isn't very expensive these days so it is possible.

Maybe it's for transferring player data to other consoles, play at a friends house, or maybe for when you're ready to upgrade to the HD version on Wii U? Who knows!

Either way it's very peculiar.
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 09:04:24 AM »
Based on what the fans did to DQIX prior to release, I'm going to basically take it on faith that the MMO part will get dropped like a bad habit in the next 3 months and the game will be DQ8-2.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 09:43:08 AM »
Just wanted to point out for those saying that there won't be a North American release for the Wii version. It says that the Wii version will be able to play with the Wii U version. You have a very large install base for the Wii and just having the Wii U version will cut down on sales for the game. Plus there may be some new owners for the Wii U and they don't have a Wii yet.At this point if you don't have a Wii it probably would be worth it to just wait for the Wii U while us with a Wii can just get the Wii version. I mean I think most here would get the Wii version while they get a Wii U for other games that use the controller and better graphics for new games for the system
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 11:41:58 AM »
I've found this entire story to be very interesting. I don't quite know what to make of it yet, but it does seem like Square Enix is bending over backwards to hit as many Nintendo platforms as they can with a single release.

Wii
3DS
Wii U

I just find it very interesting.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 12:49:13 PM »
Disappointing that I've seen a lot of the usual gloom and doom and worry surrounding the announcement of this awesome looking game.

So, in the future, just remember to give credit to where you first heard the following predictions ...

1. Both the Wii and Wii U versions of the game will come out in NA and EU.

2. Both the Wii and Wii U versions of the game will sell well over a million units in Japan alone.

3. Both the Wii and Wii U versions of the game will sell well over a million units between NA & EU.

4. The online aspects of the game will be even more successful/popular than Monster Hunter Tri (read: VERY popular).

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 12:55:59 PM »
1. Both the Wii and Wii U versions of the game will come out in NA and EU.

What makes you think that? Nintendo can't even be bothered to publish their own Operation Rainfall games in NA.  What makes you think we'll get the Wii version of this game, which would almost assuredly cannibalize NA/EU sales of the Wii U version?

2. Both the Wii and Wii U versions of the game will sell well over a million units in Japan alone.

3. Both the Wii and Wii U versions of the game will sell well over a million units between NA & EU.

Individually or combined?  I don't see both versions selling over a million units, but combined that's certainly a possibility.

4. The online aspects of the game will be even more successful/popular than Monster Hunter Tri (read: VERY popular).

In Japan, that's guaranteed.  They are obsessed with that franchise in Japan.  But outside Japan...well, we'll see.

Incidentally, I don't see a lot of "doom and gloom" with this title.  Square-Enix decided to make this more or less an MMO, a genre that appeals to some people and doesn't to others.  I despise MMOs, so the game's not for me but that doesn't mean it won't be a success at least on the Wii U.  The game would sell millions in Japan regardless of quality, so I'm sure it'll be at least a decent seller.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 02:03:43 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 01:29:56 PM »
@broodwars

1a. See: Nintendo's NA/EU marketing push for DQ9.
1b. Given the install bases at that future time, I don't think Nintendo will mind selling boat loads of $50 Wii discs or canoe loads of $60(?) Wii U discs.  If the Wii U game prices are also $50 then it's a complete wash and the will just be happy with sales, now won't they?
1c. TLS, Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower =/= DQX.

2. "between" = combined

4. Given the play-times of Brawl, Kart and Tri, Wii owners have demonstrated a strong capability for online play.  Since those are also 3 of the only Wii games that attempted a strong online experience, I'd say the success rate of non-gimped online Wii games is up near 100%.

Other than the slim chance of an FF14 situation, DQX will follow suit.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 03:40:10 PM by NinSage »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 03:58:16 PM »
From what I've read the game is and isn't an MMO at the same time.

Supposedly you can play it offline by yourself using nothing but NPC characters. Or you can jump online and play it with everyone else too. Added bonus is taking some of your friends characters and having them join your party while they are offline (& maybe you are offline too?).

But my biggest issue right now is with the DS looking graphics. I know the Wii is limited in it's graphical capabilities, but I would have thought that it could produce better results than what I've seen in the screen shot (video do look a little better, but the videos are so small, it hard to really judge the detail). I'm holding out hope that the Wii U version uses the CG assets and looks more like a real-time cartoon than a big budget DS game.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 04:41:04 PM »
I'll probably get this on the Wii U. I want to help that console get off on the right foot.

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 05:18:39 PM »

But my biggest issue right now is with the DS looking graphics. I know the Wii is limited in it's graphical capabilities, but I would have thought that it could produce better results than what I've seen in the screen shot (video do look a little better, but the videos are so small, it hard to really judge the detail). I'm holding out hope that the Wii U version uses the CG assets and looks more like a real-time cartoon than a big budget DS game.

Exactly how does http://nintendoeverything.com/73061/ and http://nintendoeverything.com/73066/ look anywhere close to a DS game? Seriously. They are using the same art style for characters and locations as DQ9 but I just assume that's the Dragon Quest style in general.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 05:22:38 PM by NeoStar9X »

Offline NintendoFanboy

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 05:27:59 PM »
Typically, the U.S. version is a year behind the Japanese version.
2013 for Wii anyone?
Makes sense to just Skip the Wii, if ur Nintendo console playing by Spring 2013
it will be on a WiiU.
If they require a monthly fee it will fail in the US, the US Dragon Quest fans are not that loyal.
Also, no 3DS version makes me sad as i perfer my RPG's on the go.

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 05:32:43 PM »
Typically, the U.S. version is a year behind the Japanese version.
2013 for Wii anyone?
Makes sense to just Skip the Wii, if ur Nintendo console playing by Spring 2013
it will be on a WiiU.
If they require a monthly fee it will fail in the US, the US Dragon Quest fans are not that loyal.
Also, no 3DS version makes me sad as i perfer my RPG's on the go.

Exactly. The Japan release is sometime in 2012. It's easy to assume, based on past games, that the international version will be the end of 2012 at the earliest or more likely 2013. It would only make sense to just release the Wii U version at that point. This Wii and Wii U situation is primarily for the Japanese consumers as they'll be getting this most likely before the Wii U launches. This was a Japan focused/only event. We need to remember this.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 05:34:58 PM »
From what I've read the game is and isn't an MMO at the same time.

Supposedly you can play it offline by yourself using nothing but NPC characters. Or you can jump online and play it with everyone else too. Added bonus is taking some of your friends characters and having them join your party while they are offline (& maybe you are offline too?).

So basically, it's Phantasy Star Universe.

I'm sure SE wants their premiere franchise associated with that trainwreck...
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 06:13:13 PM »
That doesn't make sense. There's no association between the Phantasy Star and Dragon Quest. They're two entirely different franchises, made by 2 entirely different companies. They have that one thing common. It's like people want to hate this game...

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 07:09:57 PM »
More like PSO but you can add/drop players within the gameworld and it isn't limited to 4 players in a party, looks like 8 might be the cap but that's just a guess from the demo.

Also, Black when was the DQ ever about graphics?  DQVII anyone?  It's always been about the gameplay than it's big-budgetted FF counterpart. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 07:43:23 PM »
I'm not saying it needs to look like Final Fantasy with big anime/realistic characters (I haven't really played a FF game since SNES days unless you count the 30 minutes I spent with FFCC:CB), but the Wii is capable of more than the one direct feed screenshot I saw was showing.

@ Neostar:
Did you read the whole quote you posted? I said the videos look a little better, but they are so small (low res) that you can't really judge the detail. The only thing I really have to go by is that one direct feed screenshot which looks like a high budget DS game. Wii is capable of much more than that screen shot is suggesting, but until we get some direct feed videos, that is all I have to go on.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 09:15:35 PM »
-There won't be a fee outside Japan.

-The online/offline is not hard to pull off and the DQ series has not shown any signs of going off the tracks like the FF flagships have.

-The visuals look great.  They will not be confused with a DS game.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 09:17:14 PM by NinSage »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2011, 09:42:50 PM »
The game looks great, I just wish that it wasn't so far off.