Author Topic: E3 2005 A Success!  (Read 3033 times)

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
E3 2005 A Success!
« on: May 23, 2005, 11:46:44 AM »
In a related story, you can breathe air.

MORE THAN 70,000 INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS CONVENE AT E3EXPO 2005    

E3Insider.com Draws More Than 700,000 Visits In First Three Days

LOS ANGELES--May 20, 2005--More than 70,000 industry professionals  from 79 countries gathered at the Los Angeles Convention Center (LACC)  for the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3Expo), the world's premier  interactive entertainment trade show. According to the show's owner,  the Entertainment Software Association (ESA), approximately 400  exhibitors occupied 547,000 net square feet of exhibit space and  displayed more than 5,000 computer and video game products -- 1,000 of  which made their debut. Exhibitors reported 80 percent of the 5,000  products will be found on store shelves by the 2005 holiday season.    

"E3Expo has consistently been the exclusive venue to launch the  products and showcase the groundbreaking innovations that shape  interactive entertainment," said Douglas Lowenstein, president of the  ESA, the trade association that represents U.S. computer and video  game publishers and owns E3Expo. "E3Expo has once again delivered the  latest industry advances, across thousands of feet of exhibit space  where attendees conduct business, showcase the newest products,  network and connect with industry leaders."    

This year, the ESA also brought back the first-ever official Web  site exclusively dedicated to delivering a live E3Expo experience  directly to the general public -- E3Insider (www.e3insider.com). The  third annual site opened its virtual doors to visitors and received  more than 100 million hits during its first three days live. E3Insider  provided consumers with a virtual tour of E3Expo and the most  comprehensive show news through expanded exhibitor coverage and unique  site features, such as dedicated exhibitor, games and hardware news  sections and the popular "fan cam." With the brand-new features, the  gamer had unlimited access to the never-before-seen games and  products, show floor, backstage and other restricted areas of the  LACC.    

The E3Expo educational conference and workshop program sold out  this year. The program featured a faculty of more than 175 of the  industry's leading experts who shared their advice, experience and  insight with attendees. E3Expo 2006 is scheduled for May 10 - 12, 2006  in Los Angeles.

I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:E3 2005 A Success!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 01:06:20 PM »
I was one of them
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: E3 2005 A Success!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 03:15:05 PM »
I twas there as well.  This year felt a little lackluster for some reason for me compared to last year.  Ya Zelda was cool, and Mario Kart DS, but I dunno, felt like there was just something missing.  Dunno what.  Or maybe it was from the almost 20 pounds of equipment i was carrying all 3 days, and the blisters on my foot =\.  Ah well....heres to next year!! Woooo!
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 09:51:20 PM »
No, Berto2K, I agree and have heard similar sentiments from just about everyone I've talked to.  What we expected to be great was, but there were few surprises and quite a few disappointments regardless of one's tastes in games/fanboyism.  Xbox360?  Not much of a presence, considering it comes out this year--heck, it was barely better than the DS showings last year.  PS3?  Great tech demos, no question, but no games.  Revolution?  Some fun little tidbits, but nothing we can sink our teeth into.  PSP?  As I've said elsewhere, those who love their PSP (such as StrikerObi) were upset at the dismal E3 line-up.

Only the DS really managed any surprises, and it stole the show.  I was amazed at the DS lines on the third day--I saw Berto2K there, and he can attest.  There were lines for Mario Kart DS and Nintendogs, sure, but people were also crazy about games like Pac Pix and Emergency Room (or whatever Caudecus is called).

Also, I wouldn't consider 70,000 attendees a success--it was WAY too crowded the first day in the South Hall.

I just hope I'll be at next year's E3--an earlier date and my potential graduation could ruin things for me...
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 10:14:02 PM »
They wouldnt even let u play the 360. You had to watch a developer play it ><

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 05:46:01 PM »
Funny, I got to play the 360 when I was at EA's booth...  And that Full Auto game was playable too, wasn't it?  Also, that 360 controller is really nice.  Nice to hold and it doesn't look like a batarang.
It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 05:52:15 PM »
Don't open until next year...

I think the Rev controller is the best of the bunch.

=P
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 08:45:02 PM »
What, the one with the touch screen?  Or the one that burns your hand?
It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 08:49:14 PM »

Originally posted by: theRPGFreak
They wouldnt even let u play the 360. You had to watch a developer play it ><

Looks like you went to the wrong booth.  There were playable 360 games in several places, including Sega and EA's booths.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 09:29:22 AM »
Yeah i didnt go to the EA booth ><. But I did get to play Mario Kart and Animal Crossing DS which both got me very excited about the fall lineup