Author Topic: Let's Talk Controller  (Read 31565 times)

Offline Don'tHate742

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Let's Talk Controller
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2005, 09:11:43 AM »
Technically ya, i'm sure it could be done. I just don't see the revolutionary aspect in it. It's like combining different types of controllers into one. It doesn't exactly change the game experience any. And using the touch-screen alone would be difficult, because either you'd have to coordinate your movements to what's happening on screen, or have a cursor on screen. The first is too hard, while the second makes the touch screen pointless, since an analog stick could be used instead.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline pitbull

• View Profile
RE:Let's Talk Controller
« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2005, 01:22:35 AM »
Anything is possible. If you had the Nes you know all the stuff that came out for that in terms of control and strange things that were very ahead of time concepts for consoles. I doubt the touch screen cause it's on the DS and it's expensive. It includes gyration, again I point to the article and inteview from awhile back with gyration. That will be included in the controler. I am sure of it. I very well could be wrong. I am not as you say "in the know" and have no "insider contacts".

Offline pitbull

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2005, 01:27:52 AM »
I'm having problems with my PC so just go to www.n-sider.com and find the Rev faq and keep reading or scrolling till you get to the part that says Gyration(it will be sorta bold) and click it. Some revealing info in there. Also it's a comprehensive faq with N qoutes. Better than IGN's.    sorry about the double post.

Offline slingshot

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2005, 03:59:16 AM »
"I am sure of it. I very well could be wrong"

If this isn't the very epitome of contradictions, I don't know what is.  In closing, I agree 100%.

Offline pitbull

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2005, 01:30:13 PM »
The I very well could be wrong is like my own made up disclaimer. It means if i'm wrong i'm not a giant retard. dum de dum dum dum.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #155 on: March 29, 2005, 12:50:13 PM »
Well, I came up with what I thought was a pretty cool controller design....and now I'm dissapointed to discover it's actually pretty similiar to Don'tHate's (great) design. I'll try to post mine later.

Anyway, I want to say something about output real quick, and the whole rumor regarding you being able to "feel" games. I think the answer is porbably air.
At disney, they use air all the time to simulate all kinds of things. Compressed air is used to simulate the experience of something touching you and moving across your body. Examples: (ride spoilers) In a bug's life, they simulate bees stinging you and bugs crawiling on you. In California's Honey I shrunk the audience, they use air to simulate mice crawling up your legs. (end spoilers)
Disney also blows air on you all the time to, for example, simulate monsters breathing on you, and arrows/other things whizzing past you.

How could they put this into a controller? I'm not 100% sure...But here's what I'm imagining: (1) air holes on the grips that can simulate touch, and (2) places on the controller that blow air directly onto your face/body. (that second one might be kind of hard to implement since people hold controllers in different positions. If it blows air 360 degrees in all directions, though...)

Now combine the air with hot/cold output, built-in-controller speakers, and built-in rumble, and you've got a pretty cool and immersive set up.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #156 on: March 29, 2005, 04:22:37 PM »
That would suck up waaay too much much power. Not a good idea if you want to go wireless.
Otherwise I think it's really neato.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 29, 2005, 05:10:41 PM »
 I highly doubt there will be a touch screen for the reasons mentioned above, but most importantly because a console controller is a very different animal than a portable set-up. The major difference being that with the portable you're looking at a screen an inch away from the controls. You can have a non-tactile wide-area interface system like a touchscreen due to this very fact. On a home console controller, you would have to constantly look at the screen and back to the TV. Very bad idea.
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline slingshot

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 30, 2005, 03:42:36 AM »
Air- that's different.  I wouldn't have thought of that one at all.  But- I don't know if it would really work confined to a controller

Offline Ekim3909

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 30, 2005, 06:10:22 AM »
Maybe nintendo revolution's controller will have like a removable top-face or transform with other added parts...so if your playing a fighting game you can put D-pad face style with 12 buttons on the top of the controller, or if your playing zelda maybe analog face style with 4 buttons on it. With techology now a days you could do something like that. But i beleive also the gamecube controller can be use for revolution.
Ch-KaaaH

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 30, 2005, 03:28:11 PM »
......nevermind, 's powerful eyebrow commanded me to make this post...

kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 31, 2005, 12:58:11 PM »
Very interesting patent found!

Go to the http://thenintendorevolution.blogspot.com/ to find out what I'm talking about.

It's a very interesting idea that supports my idea almost to the "T". Except for it not being wireless, it has all the necessary functions to be the controller of my dreams. You can almost assume it will be used in conjuction with Gyration. Also, it leaves the possibility of not-using a cord, although it does show how the cord would connect.

Come on Nintendo.......your so close to making your system the best of all!

Offline Grant10k

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 31, 2005, 01:19:24 PM »
A very intresting patent indeed... Intresting how Nintendo hid this patent using the bongos as cover. It makes sense seeing as how other game consoles copy all of Nintendo's good ideas.
 Without data, you're just another schmuck with an opinion.
     -Chris Anderson, TEC speaker

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 31, 2005, 01:36:13 PM »
That patent is very interesting.  It's really pretty cool how close the idea is to Don'tHate's.  Having a cord would make things a little awkward but it's probably easier to make and it wouldn't need batteries.  The best thing about it is that it can work like a normal controller.  So if Nintendo wants to make some weird motion sensor game where you swing two controller halves they can while at the same time traditional games can be played with no problem, just connect the two pieces together.

The idea of using the bongos as a cover is just too brilliant for words assuming that's what this is.  Of course if that's what it is now we know and realistically Sony and MS could know too.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 31, 2005, 01:37:00 PM »
Well that patent pretty much covers all the latest Rev rumors, including touch-sensitive grips and breakable parts...Well there's not too long to E3 left... ^_^
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 31, 2005, 01:44:39 PM »
Nah... that idea makes too much sense. I get the feeling too many people have come up with it for it to be what Nintendo is planning.

I'm expecting something slightly more... esoteric, perhaps.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 31, 2005, 01:49:02 PM »
The bongo cover was a brilliant idea. Actually, one of the most clever things I've ever seen any companies do.

As bill said....not much longer to E3, and everyday I feel Nintendo is edging towards the right idea.....

Offline Talon

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 31, 2005, 02:03:31 PM »
This technology might be something Nintendo is looking to develop in the future doesnt mean its specifically for the Revolution. Im gonna wait for E3 rather than try to guess what Nintendo is cooking up, that patent could be really deceptive in terms of trying to throw their competitors completely in the wrong direction to what they are actually creating.
Whats at the end?
Whats at the end?
Whats at the end of Satan's rainbow?

Offline Grant10k

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 31, 2005, 03:20:11 PM »
I'm just glad no one figured out the tricky patent sooner, this close to E3 it's more likely that the PS3 will be less likely to change, assuming they show it at E3
 Without data, you're just another schmuck with an opinion.
     -Chris Anderson, TEC speaker

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 31, 2005, 05:51:24 PM »
Wow, déja-vu or what?  That patent is awfully similar to a controller design I envisioned a few months.  That's cool because they've actually improved on it.  My idea called for a 3-piece, uncorded design.  I remember that we agreed a 2-piece design would've been better.  In hindsight, it was still pretty unrealistic as it called for two sets of RF, bateries, etc...  But this corded design will work just as well, and much more affordably.  This is actually quite exciting.  Let's hope they get rid of the controller-system cable, though.

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 01, 2005, 04:46:52 AM »
I have the link for that patent....

So those who know what the f*** those words mean...translate please! You also need a tiff viewer to view the images.

Anyways here's the link:
Linky

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2005, 09:30:32 AM »
Just wanted to bump this thread for a couple reasons.

If you look at the pictures in the patent above, things get a little more confusing.....actually alot more confusing.

In one picture, it shows both "bongos" connecting directly to each other. In other, there is a cord connecting both parts. It seems as if the parts of controller will have a tape-measure type cord that can connect at many various distances. I think we already knew this part.

A very interesting tidbit is revealed in another picture that displays a chart, it shows that the controller could have as many as 7 buttons! All the buttons seen on the GameCube are accounted for (including Z), as well as the D-pad, L-R triggers and both analog sticks. Each retains it's name, such as the C-stick still being called the C-stick.

In another picture, it shows some sort of attachment that allows the controller to connect directly to the TV through RCA cables......I don't know what to make of this.....Maybe some sort of interactivity for those that use both a computer monitor and a TV.  

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2005, 10:38:12 AM »
I saw this on Nintendo.com's forums.  I think it is cool except th idea that you would have another cord connecting the two halves.  Wireless is the way to go.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2005, 12:11:30 PM »
This is really a neat concept.  

I think back to many interviews where Nintendo stated that a final controller design hasn't been decided yet.  I bet this is one of the finalists, and they wanted to patient it, even if they don't use it.  

What I mean is, it is still very pausible to use wireless connection with the controllers.  In fact, it would be easier for Nintendo to create a wireless version really.

The only question with wireless would be if that would cause too many wireless signals.  4 to the console for multiplayer, 4 to each break away half.  That means 8 signals possible crossing and interfering.  Even more at LAN parties.

What is more likely is the same protocols for the Wireless WaveBird will be used to communicate with the system, however a wire would be used to communicate between systems.

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2005, 12:29:45 PM »
True, but they could cut that number in half or so.

If they use WiFi to connect from console to controller, then RF from part 1 to part 2, that could theoritically cut the number of interfering waves in half. Since WiFi doesn't get confused with many signals such as RF, it could be used for everything, although bandwidth is still a problem.

A combination would be the best. LAN will most likely stay at 16 players max for anything, with FPS being the only exception possibly. 16 players means 16 RF signals, which can already be handeld today by the Wavebird if I remember correctly.