Author Topic: Sony to show PS3 @ E3  (Read 34268 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE:Sony to show PS3 @ E3
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2005, 10:32:49 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
Here is a rumor I have not heard before

MacDailyNews.com - Sony & Apple working on PS3

What do you guys think of this rumor?
Why would Sony work with Apple on this?  Sony has competing products out there for both the iPod (Sony Network Walkman) and iTunes (Sony Connect).

It just doesn't make any sense.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2005, 02:03:13 PM »
Just a question on some outlandish specualtion, hoping for some clarifiaction and an outright denial of possibilities

Ok here we go,

With Sony having the whole Immersion fiasco, and talk of a new contoller for PS3, mixed with the ad campaign of Chang3 with the partial PS controller symbols (on previous page)........

why does Sony's Playstation.com Countdown countdown to Nintendo's Pre-E3 Press Conference?

That is the time of Nintendo's Pre-E3 conference right? Can't seem to find the conference time anywhere  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: Sony to show PS3 @ E3
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2005, 02:10:25 PM »
It's counting down 'til when E3 officially opens I think, which is after the Nintendo Press Conference.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2005, 02:11:45 PM »
That's actually about an hour and a half earlier, if Nintendo.com's counter means anything.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2005, 02:16:04 PM »
GameSpot has a full story but it's backwards compatible to PS1, up to 7 wireless bluetooth controllers, media capabilities, 6 USB ports, 3.2 Ghz and feature 2.18 teraflops of performance, etc.

http://gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html

Waiting for pics.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2005, 02:19:01 PM »
Nintendo.coms counter counts down to May 17 10am on your PC clock (when E3 opens, not when their conference starts), it doesn't take into account timezones and stuff so it could be off depending on where you live. It's telling me E3 starts in just over an hour.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2005, 02:19:59 PM »
Nintendo.com's counter says its counting to the start of E3, and Mario says its counting to 8am on your PC clock, so the real question is......

when is Nintendo's Pre-E3 press conference?

Sony's Pre-E3 conference is right now, so what is it counting to?

whats with the possibility of Sony & Nintendo teaming up to make controllers that would allow for easy portability that would alienate MS when it comes to cross platforming?  Sony liscensing Nintendo rumble/feedback/gyro tech and Nintendo getting 3rd party push from Sony maybe?  

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2005, 02:20:41 PM »
At this point I just want to see the PS3 and its controllers.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2005, 02:25:47 PM »
Nintendo's press conference is in 16 hours 35 minutes. Unless it starts half an hour or an hour earlier as has been rumored.

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2005, 02:27:47 PM »
Gamespot just keeps updating the same PS3 info page.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2005, 02:30:05 PM »
Nintendo conference @ 9am

Sony countdown to 9:30am

that is very close

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2005, 02:30:44 PM »
While I think it's great the Sony has finally caught up to 1996 I wonder why they picked SEVEN controllers.  Well obviously 7 > 4 and Sony's logic usually follows that sort of pattern ("Nintendo has an analog stick?  We'll add TWO analog sticks!  That's twice as many!") but 7 is an odd number, most mathematical and figuratively.  I don't see why anyone would NEED that many.  It would be ridiculously impractical for split screen and I can only think of a few single screen games that use more than four.  Saturn Bomberman has 10 and X-Men in the arcade had 6 but aside from that it's usually always 4.  Realistically Mario Kart Double Dash could be played with 8 players since you could have the four-way split screen with two people on each screen.  But that's 8 which makes some sense and this is 7 which doesn't.

One thing that could be possible is that the PS3 can connect to multiple TVs at once thus creating the equivalent of LAN gaming without the need for more consoles.  But even then 7 is odd.  An even number would better suit that concept.

I figure Sony wanted to throw as many controllers on as they could and 7 was some limit where the hardware would cost more money or something.

Aside from that the PS3 sounds like a bunch of nothing.  The big changes so far are all based on multimedia super computer junk.  Perhaps Nintendo is on the right track after all by wanting to be different.  Sony and MS are very literally offering more of the same.  Let's just hope Nintendo idea to be different isn't something really dumb like powergloves or something.  

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2005, 02:30:48 PM »
Microsoft's is later tonight (7:30PM PST/10:30PM EST) and Nintendo's is tomorrow at 9AM PST/12PM PST.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2005, 02:49:25 PM »
It's official. PS3 is the name and it's launching in 2006. Backwards compatable. 1080 resolution. Online video chat.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614619p1.html  

edit: graphics hype. http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614678p1.html
Apparently, Getaway is "bloody amazing". And the cgi spiderman from the movies can run in real time on the ps3. (also, apparently the dinosaurs from jurassic park can run in realtime on the n64)

“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2005, 02:51:53 PM »
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2005, 02:55:04 PM »
Some pics of PS3 have surfaced on IGN boards but I doubt it is the true system design as is the one shown on engadget.

http://members.cox.net/jtorchy/images/ps3_01.jpg

http://members.cox.net/jtorchy/images/ps3_02.jpg

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2005, 02:55:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure those images on engadget are fake.  I'm seeing something that looks more like a Zippo lighter on other sites.  Either way it's gross though.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if the controller was similar to that since it STILL is d-pad centric and thus ridiculously out of date and thus perfect for Sony.  The d-pad looks kind of comfortable though so it can't be the REAL PS3 controller.  The uncomfortable split d-pad design is a Sony trademark.

Edit: Caliban's got the Zippo lighter one.  I haven't seen the pic of it lying down though.  How the hell is that thing supposed to stand with all those curves?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2005, 02:56:11 PM »
Ewww
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2005, 02:59:39 PM »
The Zippo one is it. Ugly or what!? Apparantly Square is on stage right now. Urgh.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2005, 03:01:08 PM »
Apparently PS3 will launch with GTA Next, hmmmmm, and Bill Gates wants to release Halo 3 when PS3 is released...lol it's going to be very chaotic. What do you guys think Nintendo will do if such thing will happen? I don't know what to think really, I just think that if such thing happens then Nintendo is going to get screwed, hopefully not of course.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2005, 03:03:12 PM »
Real picture and specs added at ign. [redundant link removed]. Round and sexy.

edit: it's the same as what caliban just posted.
Here's a direct link to the specs: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614682p1.html. Sounds good.    
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2005, 03:05:25 PM »
"Apparently PS3 will launch with GTA Next, hmmmmm, and Bill Gates wants to release Halo 3 when PS3 is released...lol it's going to be very chaotic. What do you guys think Nintendo will do if such thing will happen?"

GTA and Halo will be last-gen killer apps at that point.  Last-gen killer apps never sell console.  It's always brand new stuff or existing franchises completely redone (ie: GTA3 or Mario 64).  Nintendo can beat those two games provided they have their own killer app.  Not Mario or Metroid or Zelda, but something brand new that just blows away everything.  That sort of thing is hard to pull off intentionally though.  A lot of times stuff like that comes out of nowhere.  So the best bet for Nintendo to try out a bunch of new ideas and attract third party support, even from minor devs that at first glance don't look they can offer anything.

Though knowing Nintendo they'll probably try to do something with Mario instead and we'll get a great game but not something that sells Revolutions.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2005, 03:10:23 PM »
EDIT: you already have the pics posted

Spiderman 3 font......

looks nice, very sleek  

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2005, 03:12:04 PM »
So the Zippo one's reality according to IGN...

I must say I find that quite sexy.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2005, 03:15:58 PM »
http://www.chrisbrewster.co.uk/ps3/controller.jpg

LMAO? Did someone leave a Dual Shock on a burner, realize it melted and go "OMG!? NEXT GEN!?"