Author Topic: What type of games should the Rev launch with?  (Read 12336 times)

Offline dack25

• I NEED TO READ THE AVATAR RULES PROBABLY
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
What type of games should the Rev launch with?
« on: April 07, 2005, 07:01:42 PM »
I know that the games that come out might depend on what the Rev is but what are some launch titles that will grab the publics eye? Defentinly Nintendo needs to make a Mario game ready at launch.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:What type of games should the Rev launch with?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 09:58:47 PM »
They need two games.  The next Super Mario Bros. game.  And an original mature game.  I also would not mind a BIG new Fzero using the harddrive for customizing tracks and vehicles and a GTA.  
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline slingshot

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: What type of games should the Rev launch with?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 04:21:55 AM »
Yeah, a racing game- F-zero type thing, a Mario game, and some kind of mature game.  We need to play these less advanced
kinds of games first- to work into the new gen gameplay and graphics.  All new REV games should be better than all current
cube games, but they don't have to pull out all the stops in the first time around.  Designers have to learn what the REV
is capable of doing, and gamers will be having a blast just enjoying the better graphics and gameplay to notice a really
deep story line, or a great game immediately.  Some simple- but fun, and rocking, games could be a fantastic placeholder and
introduction to the console, and then you pull out the big guns when they are ready.  _like some amazing new RPG.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 04:28:46 AM »
Nintendo doesn't need to have an original mature game.  I think what Nintendo needs at launch is simple.  2-3 BIG name Nintendo franchises.

The 3 games I would expect for Nintendo to have a launch would be:

Mario (An absolute must)
Super Smash Brothers Melee  (Show a fighting game can be done on the system, and Smash Brothers with the Gyros would be amazing.)
Metroid Prime 3.  (If Retro got started on a Metroid game right after finishing Prime 2, then it is completely possible for this game to be available during the launch window of the system.)

Another Launch game that could be awesome would be the return of Pilot Wings.  

Anyway, if Nintendo launched with that lineup, and was also supported by 3rd party support.  Then Nintendo will have a great launch.

Here is something to think about.  If Nintendo is really making something revolutionary then some 3rd parties may already know about it, and may have signed on to create a unique game or two.  (Just like they have done with the DS.)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 05:04:27 AM »
Luigi's Mansion 2, please... (Seriously, I need a sequel)

And if Retro must have a title out for launch I want something new, not Metroid Prime 3...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 05:30:42 AM »
Bill Aurion:  I agree with you that Metroid Prime 3 isn't high on my list, but I know it has been hugely popular, and it is Nintendo's best "mature" product.  

I personally wouldn't mind Luigi's Mansion 2.  It wasn't a bad game, it just was rushed and not fully actualized.  a new version of the game could be very cool...specially with Gryos.  

Looking around the Mansion would be a totally new experience.  Pressing buttons could activate the flashlight, shoot water,fire and such.  It could be a great game.

Luigi's Mansion was great.  If it had focused on more complicated puzzles it would have been brilliant.  

How about a Pikmin 3 (Online) for a relatively new Nintendo experience on the Revolution.  Imagine Designing the game where you raise Pikmin to fight.  You can even mix color Pikmin to create different colors with new abilities.  (For example.  Send Red Pikmin into the blue base and they gain the ability to swim.  Send Blue Pikmin into Red bases and they gain ability to fight better.)  Spending time management on creating stronger Pikmin is important, but also managing the battle.  Could be fun.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 06:00:08 AM »
I agree with Bill, I loved Luigi's Mansion.  But the sad thing is that Nintendo took so much criticism for the game that I can't see them wanting to put out another one.  But here's to hoping there's another one.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 07:35:17 AM »
Nintendo has to launch with something that creates a lot of demand and sells systems like how MS managed to sell the Xbox almost entirely because of Halo.  The race is going to start off tight.  MS will have already launched and Sony's launch will be coming up.  All eyes are going to be on the upcoming PS3 launch.  Nintendo has to attract those eyes towards the Rev.

I agree that there should be a least two big first party titles: a Mario title and something brand new.  The Mario title of course is for the fans though it's important that it be both a new Mario title (none of this 64 DS or Advance crap) and a "real" Mario title in that it's a platformer (and a non-gimmick one so no Jungle Beat bongo stuff).  The other game doesn't necessarily have to be a dark mature title it just has to be something new.  Not new in the sense that it's Mario or Kirby or whoever in a new type of game but in that the characters, the franchise, everything is new.  Nintendo's current franchises don't sell systems anymore.  They're the games you buy if you already have the console.  Brand new stuff is most of the time what sells consoles.  The new game should also look different than Nintendo usual stuff.  By that I just mean not cutesy.  Metroid for example isn't overly dark and violent looking but it looks different than Nintendo's other stuff.  Retro Studios in fact would probably be the ideal company to work on the "other game".

Other important items are at least one multiplayer focused title (thought the "other game" could be that) from Nintendo and at least one exclusive game from the big five Japanese third parties (Konami, Capcom, Sega, Namco, Square Enix).  These don't have to be really major, just something solid that people actually want to buy (so no Disney sports).  It can be as easy as just a new Ridge Racer from Namco or a Dragon Warrior V & VI compilation from Square Enix (boy would THAT be an RPG killer app for the US).  It would ideal to have these be from a variety of genres so that there's variety.  Having a car themed racer and a fighting game for example would balance things out and would establish early on genres that Nintendo themselves isn't known for.

And just because it attract some more attention and it would be cheap and easy to do I think a pack-in of some sort would be ideal.  I'm thinking a Metroid Collector's Disc similar to the Zelda one with the original three Metroids on it.  Having Super Metroid for free with the Rev would attract a few extra sales I think.

Another way that gaps in the release lineup can be filled is with ports of rare games that are hard to find used now or are Japan-only.  Ports can look like rehashing but when the port is Radiant Silvergun it looks like less of a rehash and more like a service for those that don't want to have to deal with high Ebay prices.  Normally I'm against ports but that's for titles like Mario where the original game is very easy to find used and there's no real demand or need for a re-release.  But a Castlevania collection with Symphony of the Night and the Japan-only Rondo of Blood on it?  That's cool.  That's taking legendary games that are near impossible to find a copy of and making them available again.  Plus in that case it's an easy exclusive to get from Konami.

And of course there's Madden and Tony Hawk which you're going to get anyway and should get since the competition will have it.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 09:50:35 AM »
This question has a very very simple answer...

A _revolutionary_ new Mario title.
A new Smash Bros. title showcasing the great new online system.

Even if those are the only 2 first party titles at launch it would easily be one of the greatest launches ever, especially considering that, to non GCN owners, the new Zelda could be a legitimate launch title.  

Nintendo's current franchises don't sell systems anymore
False.  See above.    
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 10:11:41 AM »
"False. See above."

Well if you have some evidence of a Nintendo franchise game on the Cube that sold anything even close to GTA3 or Halo then I guess I'll have to agree with you.  If Nintendo franchises still sold systems then the Cube, which has practically nothing but Nintendo franchise games, wouldn't be in last place with very few games that have sold over a million copies.  It doesn't matter how revolutionary a new Mario game would be.  People who aren't already Nintendo fans see "Mario" on the box they think "rehash".  It's not always a fair assumption but that's just how it is.  When a company is unfairly criticized for rehashing releasing nothing but franchise games at launch isn't going to improve things at all.  It's unfair and it's stupid but that's just how it is.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 11:01:21 AM »
Ian Sane:  Super Smash Brother Melee sold incredibly well.  So did Super Mario Sunshine.  Those franchises are on the list of games that must be there.

I think a brand new game, or a resurrection of a great old game would be terrific though to add spice to the revolution.

I would love a Pilot Wings Revolution.  Though, I would want the level progression to go from flight school to stunt flying to military dogfights.  The original Super Nintendo Pilot Wings had that great last level rescue mission.  That needs to be resurrected again.

Other concepts would be welcome.  Though I would question Nintendo's ability to create a fully actualized new franchise for the Revolution launch.  I would rather them develop exciting franchises and release them early to let new stuff come later.  

Why would existing franchises be easier to release in the timeframe?  They already have an existing feel, concept, and design principles.  The art direction is usually decided and the world is most complete.  A new game would feel rushed.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 11:52:35 AM »
Some of the potential launch games like Mario Party will not help to sell the system, but they may make Nintendo money due to lower budgets.  I am afraid that even if they launch with the perfect complete new Mario Brothers game people will still say, "oh."  It will excite hardcore gamers, but will not be able to attract anyone else.  Games that would excite us to hell and back like Pikmin Revolution or DoshinHyrule would not create the word of mouth hype the sytem needs.

That is why they need something totally original that is palatable to the GTA and Halo gamers.  At launch they need to scream that they are not teh kiddiz system.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 12:14:26 PM »
I think the launch needs one thing: a huge, new, system-selling game. Smaller games that just show off the system do NOT work, as GameCube and DS proved. Also of course, there also needs to be healthy dose of high-quality smaller games at launch...those will be the x, y and b buttons that surround our glorious, giant a.

The large new game might be:

-a new Miyamoto game that utilizes the Revolution's new capabilities to the fullest. Either a whole new franchise or a new Mario game.

-a new, full length Metroid game from EAD or Retro.

-a new, full length Kid Icarus game from Nintendo or a second party.

The smaller games could be anything, but Nintendo needs, as a lot of people have said, at least one multiplayer game (SSBM, hopefully), lots of 3rd part support (Super Monkey Ball, anyone?), and at least one mature game (exclusive first person shooter from Free Radical?)

I'd also like to see at least one pack-in (preferably built right into the system) that shows off the system's capabilities. I'd want Something similiar to Luigi's Mansion or Metroid Hunters: First Hunt. It could even be the system's token Mario game, if they aren't planning on having a bigger one at launch.

Finally, it would be really, really, nice to have online-ready games at launch. Probably won't happen, knowing Nintendo, but, you never know...
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 01:30:31 PM »
I don't want to put presure on Nintendo to rush out a Metroid or Zelda.  Mario though is long overdue.

I want to see Metroid and Zelda be their largest projects with the largest worlds.  For example a Metroid in which you go to several different planets and do some bounty hunting.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 01:54:33 PM »
Punch Out would add a nice touch to a launch line up.
What it really needs is 1 good game to show of all the fancy new bells and whistles (mario), 1 game to show off online (SSB), and  a must have (old school come back).
After that all Nintendo would need is 3rd party support and some good games waiting for you down the road. There would have to be at leaste 3 good march releases and stuff to have you waiting for E3 as far as 1st/2nd parties go.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline dack25

• I NEED TO READ THE AVATAR RULES PROBABLY
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2005, 06:21:03 PM »
I would say that they should try to lock up some type of third party franchise but well we don't even know if third party developers can be trusted after the RE4 debacle. If it has a hard drive I hope that Nintendo maybe includes a couple of SNES or N64 games preloaded on the system and maybe have some type of download service for classic games (actaully I think this was a rumor a while ago). As for mature games I think that maybe Nintendo needs to make some other mature games. I just hope that Rev owners won't get screwed over like GCN owners have for buying the most copies of a game.

Offline 09n

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2005, 04:27:57 AM »
All of you have said make a new X, make a new Y. I think Nintendo should create an entirely new franchise for the system. It might backfire terribly or it will really catch the attention of the casual buyer as well as the ######## gamers.

If, as I think Nintendo will, they make new games to franchises they should make a new mario and a new SSBM and, at least very soon after the launch, they will need to bring out a new Zelda.

As well as this it should team up with creative assembly to create an exclusive Total war (or warrior) for the launch. However that will depend on how well Shogan performs on the DS. Anywho Nintendo need to get some more third party exclusives for the next generation launch because other wise Sony and microsoft will have snapped them all up. (If I am getting a little off topic I appologise it does seem more like general advise the more I reread it).
No, we're not eating Nibbler - leela
I'll fire up the grill - Bender

Offline LuWoo75

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2005, 06:38:37 AM »
I think that they should come out with a new series a game that is designed to take full advantage of the Revolution.  Kid Icarus is well overdue Nintendo would be silly if they didnt revive that game.  Mario of course is pretty much a lock for a launch game.  I think they should get Namco to do a RPG for the rev maybe Tales or Baiten sequel.  Since Zelda is coming out this fall i dont see a need for that to be launch game.  If they do a Metroid it's going to havta be something overwhelmly different like 3rd person perspective or a really epic adventure.  They really need capcom to come through for something at launch also like a RE or a new series.  

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2005, 11:28:09 AM »
Camelot = RPG = Launch...
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2005, 04:11:18 PM »
1 racing game
1 3d fighting game
1Mario game
ea's sports lineup
1 rpg
Smash Bros 3.
2 New Games..one small scale one large scale.

and heres a thought what if Nintendo actually had their own sports lineup...they need to get in the ea biz....release a sports game every year with slight upgrades.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2005, 09:41:21 PM »
GoodRPGs = sales. It's always like that, and the Rev desperately needs an astounding RPG or two @ launch
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline altf4

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2005, 06:40:00 PM »
one hich graphics, low quality gameplay game, so  the system will look better graphics wise (if they can somehow manage to make the system have flawless graphics and be good, good on them) and a bunch of good games. including at least one new game, that won't be a franchise.

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2005, 09:24:50 AM »
I'm less interested in what launches than what comes out in the sixth months after release. That seems to me to be the make-or-break period that establishes the momentum for the system. In that first six months, they should obviously have Mario, hopefully with more innovation, an FPS and RPG . The FPS could be a second Geist as long as it turns out well. At some point, a Western RPG like Fable or Morrowind would really help ground the system. Hopefully, however, Oblivion will come out for the Rev and solve that problem. SSB is an obvious must; with better marketing, I really think it could beat out Halo as a college game. Another Resident Evil in that window, together with the FPS, will help establish a more mature theme. Both games should invest heavily in stunning visuals - as we saw with RE4, that's what gets the hype really rolling for mature games and helps change the image.

And, of course, there should be entirely new games. And at least one of these should be mature. Part of the reason Nintendo's innovations get treated as gimmicks is because their really innovative games tend to be Pikmin, Pacman, and Animal Crossing. I guarantee you if the Pikmin had been armies of shambling zombies, it would have made a much bigger splash. Do all novel game concepts have to involve bright colors and happy noises? The only reason I can see for Nintendo to restrict itself this way is simply the belief that they'll get more money with that E on the cover, and at best that's shortsighted. Be a little daring, Nintendo. Reach a bit for that 14-28 demographic. They're the big market, and they have a limited appetite for cutesy.

I would like the Rev Zelda to be huge. Not simply in terms of geography, with tons of filler like they had in WW, but a long main quest with at least ten full dungeons, minidungeons, extra powerups, side quests, colorful npcs. For extra powerups, they should bring back spells and have many more special attacks you can acquire, although you would only be able to get a few of them with any one character (thus adding a little more RPG and replay value, and making combat more diverse). With all that in mind, I don't need to push for Zelda coming out in that six-month window. Besides, Nintendo can't front-load the launch schedule too heavily. You can't just rely on 3rd-parties for the next two quarters.

But if you want to get third-party support, you have to sell systems, and if you want to sell systems, you have to have lots of games pretty much from the getgo.
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2005, 09:38:59 AM »
"I guarantee you if the Pikmin had been armies of shambling zombies, it would have made a much bigger splash. Do all novel game concepts have to involve bright colors and happy noises?"

Blasphemy.  Pikmin is one of the few Nintendo games made today where the graphics look surreal and arty like Mario did on the NES and SNES.  It's more weird than cutesy.  Pikmin's not a problem.  Mario sounding like a Sesame Street reject cleaning up paint in the brightest coloured game ever made was a bigger deal.  Pikmin had shading and lighting that made the backgrounds look very realistic (in Pikmin 2 they went with a clay animation look).  Mario looked like a damn preschool game (though ironically it was quite difficult) with non-detailed characters and primary colours all over the place.  Pikmin was creative.  Super Mario Sunshine looked childish.  There's a big difference.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2005, 10:07:41 AM »
Yeah Nintendo is a bit cute.  I mean I sorta want to play Animal crossing so I can to the addicting part some talk about but it's so fricking cute.  Pikmin?  I don't mind that one.  I'm playing it right now.  It does look a bit surreal and looks kewl.  Tho it's also a bit cute and has some bouncy bouncy music.  But hell your pikmin can drown or get caught on fire or eaten.  

That F-Zero GX game has lots of characters that would appeal to 13 yr olds and it isn't cute.  They could take some of those guys and make a fps or platformer or adventure game or spaceship game set in the future.  

Anyway I don't want to Nintendo to go more cute.  I like Mario and Pikmin and Zelda and Prime and others.  But Animal crossing is a bit too cute as is Kirby's Air Ride (simplistic too.)