Author Topic: LOZ: 2005  (Read 566684 times)

Offline Don'tHate742

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Legend of Zelda: 2005 Official Discussion
« Reply #650 on: March 13, 2005, 07:35:22 PM »
Also, adding the fact that Aunoma said it will have a sense of loneliness, it seems unlikely that Link will have a cooperation with many animals. I could see that concept being used for side-quests, but not in the main adventure. I could also see animal interaction being used to hint at a clue. Like if dogs surround a spot, or if they seem to have cuaght a scent, you could follow them to learn something....maybe a secret passage, maybe not. An unintentional cooperation seems more likely.

Mantidor - How could you not want an instrument? It's one of the best things in OOT/MM. Learning/Playing songs was OK, but I loved listening to the full melody once played.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: March 13, 2005, 07:59:11 PM »
Link actually transforming into animals seems more likely to me than gaining animal partners, as Hostile said, it just doesn't seem very Zelda-like to have someone/something help you in battle...Either way, I love the direction Ninty is going with all the animals, as it will help make the game feel more alive, and less static and dead, but I also dislike Aonuma's comment of lonliness...I WANT MY NPCs DAMMIT! >=O

(I so want an art book with the Special Edition copy)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #652 on: March 13, 2005, 09:05:38 PM »
(add life-size Malon/Cremia action figure)
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: March 14, 2005, 06:04:06 AM »
LOL

anyway...Its not that I dont want a musical instrument, but I dont want it to be the main item for the game, probably I just want to avoid comments on forums about how Zelda is not "original" anymore or something like that .

And remember that what Aunouma said its just a RUMOR. Theres not even an interview of some kind to back it up, so dont lose your breath on this one, Id be very shoked if there aren any towns or NPCs, I find that actually impossible.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #654 on: March 14, 2005, 07:41:45 AM »
What do you have in mind for the main item then? The way I see it, the item that changes the surroundings or aids Link through a special power is the main item. Everytime these were either a musical instrument, a baton, and some other things like a staff.

So would you rather have a staff or something?

EDIT: Is anyone expecting the unexpected here.....besides me?

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 14, 2005, 07:50:04 AM »
Focal items in the past:
A Link to the Past: Mirror
Ocarina of Time: Master Sword and Ocarina
Majora's Mask: Masks and Ocarina
Wind Waker: Baton (and boat, I guess)
Minish Cap: The Minish Cap

It wouldn't be unreasonable if it weren't a musical item, though thus far all of the 3D games have had the musical item as a focus.  If this game did tend toward wilderness, I could imagine Link having one of those horns, like a hunting horn.  If not. . . some sort of weapon, perhaps.  Some artifact.  It's hard to think of something appropriate from a primitive culture, if that's what we're dealing with.  For now I have to assume that, otherwise my speculation would be too broad
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: March 14, 2005, 07:51:30 AM »
I dont want to think too much about it, in fact I think Ill try to stay away from news about the game, I want the game to be a total surprise for me
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: March 14, 2005, 08:52:37 AM »

I'd like to wield the banjo of tranquility.  Or maybe a nice mouth harp.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: March 14, 2005, 09:31:30 AM »
I don't recall anyone saying that the Wind Waker was out of the loop...

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #659 on: March 14, 2005, 09:58:45 AM »
A magick, context-sensitive WATERMELON.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Legend of Zelda: 2005 Official Discussion
« Reply #660 on: March 14, 2005, 11:23:57 AM »
I haven't really figured this out yet, can anyone answer?

In what way is Miyamoto still involved with the Zelda games? Like, exactly what does he do?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: March 14, 2005, 11:29:28 AM »
He is producer, just as with most of the games he's involved in...

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #662 on: March 14, 2005, 01:09:47 PM »
First post, hello.
I had to chime in on the trailer, which was amazing. The thing that's really impressing me is how organic the environments are looking,so much better than WW in that regard. The thing that excited me the most though was Link's boar riding. (Nintendo, if you're listening, I really want to ride a dragon in this one. Or an eagle, if you want to go LOTR on us. Speaking of which...)

To the people who say this doesn't look like it was inspired by LOTR: I don't think it looks anything like Peter Jackson's movies visually/stylistically, BUT, Zelda has never really reminded me of LOTR before, and while watching this trailer, I couldn't help but think of the paths of the dead,the warg battle, nazgul, shelob, and treebeard. (Whoa, run-on sentence).

Also, to the people who say they don't like the idea of the game feeling more lonely, I actually disagree with that too. Mainly because I felt alone in Wind Waker anyway: the NPCs weren't people so much as annoying robots existing solely for Link's benefit. I'd prefer it if they fixed the problem and created complex NPCs of course, but...I can wait for Revolution Zelda.
The question is, why is Link more alone in this one? Maybe the world is more overrun with enemies than normal, with people struggling in isolated pockets rather than living in thriving towns. Maybe the world doesn't have any people at all: nothing but animals, creatures (such as the gorons), enemies and abandoned/overrun towns. Or maybe, in this one, the population considers Link to be an enemy for some reason, with animals being his only ally. That would explain the Goron fighting him.

“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Rellik

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: March 14, 2005, 01:44:10 PM »
I know what you mean by being alone in WW - most of those NPC's were not exactly the most interactive or exciting you could imagine.

But I still would rather not see a lonely-style Zelda.  I mean, that's Metroid territory, and I love Metroid (mostly... couldn't finish MP2:Echoes, just wasn't fun enough) but the Zelda series has become more and more interaction-oriented, to the point that it's just part of the Zelda experience now.  Not much of it in the original, then increasing up til OoT/MM where NPC interaction was a vital part of the gameplay experience and really fleshed out the gameworld with colorful characters and interactions.

A lonely Zelda is by nature a continually serious Zelda.  Of course there are always lonely stretches and sections - but the world of Zelda is a populated one.

And I feel like bringing this up for no reason, but I really dislike it when people say Zelda is "about a boy facing dangerous adventures."  Yeah, it's about a boy, and dangerous situations, but that phrase and its variants make me think of a lot of really bad movies from the 90's.  Zelda has never really been about Link - Link is there really only as a stand-in for you, and his age is largely a non-factor.  I don't know what Zelda's about, but I wish there were a better way to make the point that it's supposed to be humorous and light-hearted without in the process saying that it's campy, kitsch, flippant, and of little account to itself.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: March 14, 2005, 02:17:18 PM »
I thought the NPCs in Wind Waker were fine.  Windfall Island had plenty of interesting characters, the pirates were really cool, and all the other characters and races you met throughout the world (Deku Tree and the Ritos and all) were great.  I felt they were better than Ocarina of Time, in terms of good interaction, but paled slightly in comparison to Majora's Mask.  But it relied very, very heavily on NPC interaction, whereas Wind Waker was a cross between that and adventure.
Of course, if you only played the main game there's a lot less interaction.  If you only do what you need to, dungeon dungeon dungeon.  But I did pretty much every side quest and extra bit available, so I witnessed tons of good NPC relationships.  I also felt many of them were much more sincere than previous game had been.  I felt more for Aryll and the two Rito kids than I ever felt for most other characters.  Except for maybe Saria and Marin, but that's hard to beat.
As for being lonely on the see. . . yeah, at times, but appropriately so.  I visited characters here and there often enough that I never felt truly isolated except in places like dungeons.
I think this game could be positively lonely in a lot of places.  But I feel there should be NPCs, and probably will be, I'm just not sure how everything will work out.

I say that Zelda is about adventure, plain and simple.  Sometimes it's the childhood sense of it (and not the corny 90s movie sort, either) and sometimes it's more general.  It's just always given me that awesome feeling of adventure, and I find that summing it up in that one word works fairly well for me.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: March 14, 2005, 04:14:58 PM »
did anyone notice this?

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/message?board.id=np_gw&message.id=586763

what does this mean for the game?
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #666 on: March 14, 2005, 04:33:50 PM »
It means this sort of thing isn't new to Zeruda.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: March 14, 2005, 04:35:01 PM »

Originally posted by: kingvudu

I'd like to wield the banjo of tranquility.  Or maybe a nice mouth harp.

OH!  I KNOW!  Link could carry around a grand piano!  

Seriously though, I don't think you'll ever beat the Ocarina.  It's been in far too many games and is just the kind of fantastic instrument that fits in.

Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: March 14, 2005, 04:37:21 PM »

Originally posted by: nemo_83
did anyone notice this?

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/message?board.id=np_gw&message.id=586763

what does this mean for the game?

Return of the Water Temple?  REALLY intense weather effects? Or perhaps this is the draining of Hyrule.  I was always disappointed that there wasn't a huge new world to explore under Wind Waker's waves.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: March 14, 2005, 04:48:26 PM »
I'm uncertain of what to say about it.  There could be a time factor involved, since the water-filled area is covered in moss and is significantly deeper than the dry one (or so it appears, I can't really tell with all the sunlight).  I'd say it dries up at some point, though what the circumstances are I couldn't really say.
It could be a dream-esque sequence, Link seeing something in the past with the creature, a la Scrooge. (I'm thinking this not only because of the water, but the sunlight is so bright and soft it almost seems surreal)
There's something large at the bottom of the area in the water-filled picture, but I have no idea what it is.  It could be blocking something, and somehow removing that drains the area.
That or else you fall in the pit, go with that thing to the end of the tunnel, and something happens.  It all floods and you get back out (presumably after having learned something or acquired something useful).

Just a few ideas.

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: March 14, 2005, 05:13:41 PM »
I don't think it necessarily means anything. The black patch where the tunnel would be in the water shot isn't clear enough to say much for now. You can see the tree, with the correct texture and intersecting the water at the right point, from the water shot in the trailer at :14. So both that part of the trailer and the water screenshot must have taken in the same location. In the trailer, Link dives too deep without hitting the ground for it to be the same place as the picture with the tree thingie. They probably just used the same model slightly modified with a different texture for each picture.

Also, the curve of the left branch is clearly different, and the angles of the joints look slightly skewed.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: March 14, 2005, 05:18:03 PM »
It can be:

1) A "mini-puzzle" that involves draining said area (by removing the debris in the bottom of the pond
or
2) Ninty reused the tree model, which isn't out of the question at all...It saves time and most people don't care if environment models are reused in different areas of the game...

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #672 on: March 14, 2005, 06:45:46 PM »
*Skeptical*

I'm going to look a little harder. *whips out magnifying glass a.k.a bottle of whiskey* One thing is for sure, it's not going to be part of the main game in the story or as a plot line. Right now, I think Bill has the right idea with his #2. I mean they have to cut corners somewhere.

EDIT: Callian - Your point about Link diving down to deep is irrelevent. First of all, we don't have a good perspective on the distance he travels while diving. Second of all, from the screen shot of that tree beast type thing, that place is HUGE. Look at link.....he's tiny. Maybe not tiny tiny, but he's small enough for that area to be considered as a pond/small lake.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: March 14, 2005, 06:51:55 PM »
I really think that's a bit too distinctive to be using similar models for, but it's definitely possible.  We can't see the whole trees, we don't know how large this forest is going to be, and there are some slight differences.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #674 on: March 14, 2005, 07:10:39 PM »
The vines dangling over the archway "match up" nicely in both official screen shots.  So I'll agree with the idea that those are phases of the same environment.  Could be simple draino-then-HEARTO-GET! or a before-after scenario like Lake Hylia or the frozen waterfall in Majora's Mask.

I dub thee forest giant, SWAMP THING.