Author Topic: Anything RPG discuss it here  (Read 4011 times)

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Anything RPG discuss it here
« on: May 07, 2003, 02:13:40 PM »
Im new to the RPG scene and so far its great.  I recently beat golden sun on the gba, the second looks nice i will be picking that one up soon. Any way Where are all the rpg's from nintendo.  I know that could make a kick a@# rpg that takes 50+ hours to beat.   Any way anybody that has a thought drop it here, i've just fallen in love with rpg's.
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2003, 02:30:28 PM »
well there are a few of them which are good
on the gamecube skies of arcadia legends is one of the better rpgs out there to buy
golden sun 2 is tons on fun- just as good as the first- i would suggest that now since the golden sun 1 story is still in your head
lufia is a very good rpg on the gba
so is lunar legend- a very well made rpg on the gba
the breath of fire games on the gba make for good picks- but they are hard

there are the castlevania games on the gba which are basically action rpgs- and are very good

there are a few rpgs on the horizon such as tales of symphonia for gc which looks good (not sure when it will come to america though)
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Zelda

• View Profile
RE: Anything RPG discuss it here
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 02:33:20 PM »
You could get a psx/ps2

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2003, 02:40:01 PM »
Or better yet...a Super Nintendo.  I have one, and there are plenty of RPG'S i haven't even gotten to yet.  And its cheaper than the GBA.  I got my SNES for 25.00.  Now some of the RPG'S are on the expensive side, like Chrono Trigger, at 35-40 bucks.  Just hunt around on Ebay, and you'll find it cheaper.  But I highly recomend you get that and Secret Of Mana.  Plus Super Mario RPG...and the list goes on and on...
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2003, 03:02:46 PM »
How could no one mention Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire yet? I already spent more than a 100 hours in that game, and I still keep coming back for more.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2003, 03:36:02 PM »
Go old-school:

Get a SNES and buy Final Fantasy III, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Secret of Evermore.  Top recommendations!

EDIT: Oh, and while your at it, educate yourself with some REALLY old-school RPGs -- I'm talkin' Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, and Wizardry for the NES.
Gaming is more than entertainment, it's a lifestyle.

USA Allied Wallpaper

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2003, 04:20:03 PM »
Chrono trigger!!! I remember that game I never did finish it.  Maybe I'll do that some day.  Skies of Arcadia you say, maybe I'll try that one out.  I think it got pretty decent reviews.  
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2003, 04:25:17 PM »

Originally posted by: Jdub03
Chrono trigger!!! I remember that game I never did finish it.  Maybe I'll do that some day.  

You played, but never finished Chrono Trigger?!

Go find your SNES and play through the entire game... NOW!!!  
Gaming is more than entertainment, it's a lifestyle.

USA Allied Wallpaper

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2003, 05:28:48 PM »
Hmm.

Don't know what this has to do with anything, but I'd love for a Final Fantasy game to have a battle system similar to the Baldur's Gate series, but with everything else done in FF style.  If you don't know, that system totally real-time battle, but with the option to pause it any time and give orders to your characters - thus you have the realism and excitement of real-time with the depth and complexity of turn-based games.  Thus, you can easily make three characters be doing totally different things all at the same time.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2003, 05:42:25 PM »
Yeah but with a PS2 you can play Chrono Trigger as well.  Plus the others.

Actually you'll only need a PS1 for it but it's FF chronicles I believe off hand (which means you get FF IV and CT).

You can find that for $35 plus it has a new intro for CT.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2003, 06:30:47 PM »
I thought that was Chrono Cross on PS2?
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2003, 07:11:53 PM »
No that's on PSX1 Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy Chronicles which has FFIV and Chrono Trigger with Anime cut scenes done by Akira Toriyama

He also did the Character designs and Creator of DB/DBZ series and he also works with Enix, He's done work for DQ series.  
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline cyrus420

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2003, 07:26:31 PM »
D&D heroes looks cool, it coming out around june on the GC. its got some nice multiplayer, which will be a great substitute until FF:CC.

and is anyone else have a sudden craving for a secret of evermore sequel? that game was really awesome, it had some awesome themes and a nice atmosphere.
kinda reminded me a bit like earthbound, except with a touch of square.  
HTML code is not permitted. Special symbols permit some HTML functionality.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2003, 08:29:47 PM »
One warning: Don't get Lufia: The Legend Returns for GBC. The random maps just don't live up to Diablo2, but at least the save system is what I expect of CRPGs (you can save on savepoints permanently or save anywhere, but the latter savegame gets deleted upon load). Nonetheless, 20 levels all following the same pattern are no fun. All the time one hopes for the end of a dungeon.

And the preview for the GBA game suggests it uses random maps as well... Should be written on the box, if yes... stay away!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2003, 08:49:51 PM »
For whoever is advising to get Final Fantasy Chronicles:

DO NOT DO THAT!

The PSX versions of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 4 - 6 are an abomination.  They have lousy sound, they run too slow, and ultimately ruin some of the best games of all time.

Do yourself a favor and get Chrono Trigger for SNES.  I realize that my avatar is actually derived from the PSX Chrono Trigger (hell, I ripped it myself), but I got it from the Japanese FMV rip I downloaded.  The English version also has choppy FMV I might I mention.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2003, 05:22:05 AM »
Actually the sounds are the same, unless you decided to download the WARZES version that was floating on the net.

The retail version sounds the same as the SNES.  

The only issue with CT on the PSX has to deal with loading battles scenes, which is so-so.  Yeah the Snes version didn't have any loading times (it's a cart ) but it's not that bad though.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Nintendork SP

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2003, 05:48:17 AM »
Why not Phantasy Star Online, you don't have to wait, you have the system it is on plus it is real time and it has split screen multipayer.  On top of that a good story, deep level system, plenty of weopons, and it is super addictive.  Oh and it is not required to play online, there is offline fun one player.  Trust me it is a masterpiece and I am surprised nobody has mentioned it yet.
Going to war without France is like going fishing without an accordion.
-----------------------------------------------------
When I was I child I caught a fleeting glimpse.