Author Topic: GDC 2011 Discussion  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
GDC 2011 Discussion
« on: March 01, 2011, 08:17:13 PM »
So yeah, Iwata gives his speech tomarrow and Nintendo will be showing the webcast.

http://gdc2011.nintendo.com/

Back in 2005, Iwata showed a new trailer for Twilight Princess at GDC.  In 2007 he revealed Phantom Hourglass and in 2009 he revealed Spirit Tracks.  If history is to repeat itself which it more then likely will, we're do for a new Skyward Sword trailer.  So yeah, time to get hyped.

I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
Re: GDC 2011 Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 08:22:48 PM »
I'd like to see some detail on the new Kirby Wii game, or maybe Paper Mario 3DS.

Or even Pikmin 3 or the Wii Vitality Sensor.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 08:23:22 PM »
What time is it happening in North American timezones?

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 08:26:14 PM »
12pm EST. It says so in the link.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 08:34:18 PM »
Or even Pikmin 3 with the Wii Vitality Sensor that allows the Pikmin to channel your fear or resolve in the heat of battle.

You just blew my mind!
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 08:48:44 PM »
12pm EST. It says so in the link.
I clicked a link to enter this thread, I can't be arsed to click another one once I'm in here!

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 08:55:01 PM »
Here is what I think might be shown.

Skyward sword trailer.
Release date for said game.
A release schedule for Wii and DS games up till E3.

Here is what I hope will be talked about.

Release date for Kid Icarus 3DS, Confirmation of Xenoblade and The Last Story heading to North America.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 09:12:15 PM »
Nintendo accidentally sent out a press briefing for the event a day early.  I shouldn't be saying this, but it's Wii Music 1/2.  Twice as much public domain music, one-half the functionality.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 01:06:30 PM »
That was pretty interesting. Can't wait for the return of Racoon Mario!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 01:15:42 PM »
This year's GDC keynote?  Tales of Hablablab, featuring Satoru Iwata and president of Illinois, Reggie Fils-Aime.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 11:49:40 PM »
There is not a lot of talk in here...

here is something that all of you seem to have missed though
http://www.destructoid.com/gdc-nintendo-shows-a-glasses-free-mario-kart-on-the-wii-195492.phtml
In a demo at GDC 2011 Nintendo Producer Hideki Konno showed off an interesting demo that may point to Nintendo's eventual future for home consoles.

In this tech demo Konno used a Wii Nunchuck to control the 3D depth effect (kind of like the 3DS' 3D slider) in a special version of Mario Kart Wii. Key word: Tech demo. Not a real game. Yet.

If anything, this shows that glasses-free 3D is possible on the Wii. Of course, that requires having the right kind of screen, mind you. Still, it shows you where Nintendo's mind is right now.

We already knew Wii was capable of 3D since the GC was 3D ready and they are basically the same processors, but now we know Nintendo is ready to unlock the features if there were more than 20 gamers out there that even had a TV to take advantage of it.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 11:55:00 PM »
I am amazed that 4 years into the systems lifespan and some "professional" gaming sites like Destructoid still spell Nunchuk wrong.

Anyways, it would be pretty cool if the Wii 2 allowed for glasses-free 3D. It would give it a nice edge over the competition. I won't get too excited though since the tech demos don't always end up becoming anything.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 12:00:49 AM »
This was actually in an Iwata Asks a little while back http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/how-nintendo-3ds-made/1/1 , but we'll be getting talk coverage up shortly (though it mostly parallels the Iwata Asks).
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 04:57:11 AM »
Apparently there is going to be a panel on the development of DKC Returns in the morning at 9am PST.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 09:30:19 AM »
I think the more important part of the Mario Kart demo is controlling the level of 3D. A lot of reviewers of the 3DS have been praising the slider (even NWR's Japan correspondent) as saving them from the headaches and nauseousness usually experienced with 3D. Nintendo may have started something big here.

And I'm pretty sure that 3D is 3D, so you don't create something to be glasses-free, it's 3D and the display device determines the glasses needed or not needed.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 01:07:58 PM »
After watching the GDC keynote stream, I thought Iwata did a great job conveying some of the current concerns of the gaming industry and ways on how to start correcting them. As expected of Iwata, he was a class act all the way, citing numerous competitors on their achievements in pushing the gaming industry forward  in his 25 year retrospective (calling out even XBLA and Sony for their specific ground breaking contributions.)  Outside of the 3DS commercial break starring Reggie, I thought it was a genuinely good address to the industry.

Listening to podcasts post GDC though, it seems like a lot of people are just trolling his keynote.  Comments like Nintendo was lashing out at Apple (who doesn't even make games) and that Nintendo was blindly hating on $0.99 App store developers is completely false.  Iwata's argument was that he wanted developers to take pride in their software and not think that the only way they can be successful is if they offer all their hard work for next to nothing (or free) consistently. It's not like Nintendo is advocating people to put out shovelware at full price and expect it to sell, they themselves said that if their going to sell a game at $30, that they are gonna make sure it's worth that amount.

There is no reason why $0.99 games can't stand side by side with $60 releases  and everyone not be successful (this is already the case on Steam).  But thinking that the gaming industry can be sustained off of the App store business model and still be able to put out the diversity (in both quality, length, and variety) of games that we are currently enjoying is just folly.  I'm all for cheap games too, but there's no way that developers will be able to put out big budget games with any consistency.  It's just as ruinous to the industry and an extreme practice in the other direction as companies are doing today with just focusing on multimillion $$ game studio bankrupters.

For the industry to improve, we need ALL the price markets getting attention in equal measures.  Iwata's caution was for developers to not put all their eggs into the app store lottery basket and to realize that their work is worth more than just "free". How did that just fly over the heads of so many people?
"All the world is blind to my passing..."