Author Topic: Shoulder Button Failure  (Read 2239 times)

Offline RagnaBlade

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
Shoulder Button Failure
« on: March 02, 2011, 01:09:34 PM »
Hey, my R button suddenly died, does anyone know any way to fix it? If I push it down really hard and jiggle it, it'll sometimes count a press, but it's pretty much busted.
Sand will cover this place. Sand will cover you.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Re: Shoulder Button Failure
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 01:18:38 PM »
Sounds like there might be debris in there, try blowing into the button.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline RagnaBlade

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 08:50:16 AM »
I'll give it a go.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 11:54:20 PM »
I suggested KDR fix his DS (digitizer going bad), so I'll recommend the same for you, it's possible that either the switch on the button is stuck down, or has come loose. It could also be the spring that pushes it back up has gotten free. I'll be more than happy to fix it for you if you want to send it my way. I'd fix it for $10 plus shipping each way, though if you're comfortable with a tri-wing screwdriver (and possibly a soldering iron) I suggest you give it a go yourself. The springs are a pain in the ass to set sometimes, but it's not too difficult.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 12:50:47 AM »
Is this on your DSi?  My right sholder button went out as well.  You might call Nintendo and see about setting up a repair - if it's a common enough problem (sounds like it might be), they might do a free repair on it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 09:20:46 AM »
My DSi has the same issue.

Offline Runic

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo 3DS Shops
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 08:22:28 PM »
This seems to be a common issue on the DSI. Hopefully Nintendo fixes this with the release of the 3DS. Luckily I have not had this happen to me yet.
Looking for a great deal on the Nintendo 3DS? Visit http://www.nintendo3dsshops.com

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 12:07:43 PM »
Yeah, this happened to me about a year after I had my DSi (matter of fact, it also happened to my DS lite which ended up being used to subsidize the purchase of my DSi).  I sent it back to Nintendo through an RMA/warranty process and they repaired it for free. 

Unfortunately, it happened again at the beginning of the year (mind you, I do not go banging my DSi around despite getting massive use).  This forced me to quit playing certain games that I was in the middle of (like Chrono Trigger) that specifically uses the shoulder buttons to move the game forward.  I traded the whole system in at the beginning of the month towards my pre-order of a 3DS ($125 to go!)

Although I have no portable to play on for the next 3 weeks (I can't get into games on my iPhone like I can on my DS despite some really quality titles on iOS) at least I have a convincing argument for my wife as to why I absolutely need this system day one  ;D !
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline RagnaBlade

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 10:37:33 PM »
Thanks guy (especially Brandogg). I took your tips and got it working again. I'm confident it'll last until 3DS