Author Topic: ascii chart / futurama reference  (Read 3801 times)

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
ascii chart / futurama reference
« on: November 21, 2003, 05:30:55 PM »
watching the audio commentary on the futurama Matt and David mention that the computer savvy should look up bender's room number 00100100, in the ascii chart, well i tried, but i can't really make sence of it, anyone else care to help?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE:ascii chart / futurama reference
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2003, 06:30:06 PM »
$
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Fish

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2003, 12:49:25 AM »
What is an ascii chart?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: ascii chart / futurama reference
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2003, 03:25:09 AM »
ASCII = American Standard Code for Information Interchange.
Since computers can only process numbers, the ASCII was created, a conversion system from numbers to letters. For example, the capital A has the ASCII-code 65. An ASCII table/chart is simply a piece of paper with the numbers 0 to 255 written on it with the matching characters next to them.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2003, 05:58:04 AM »
I really easy way is by using the alt technique..no need for a chart then...  First you convert the binary number over...so 00100100 is 36.  Then hold down alt.  Press 3 6 on the numpad...then release alt...and whta do you get??  $  Bill was right.  =P  (this technique doesn't work will all 255 all the time, because some fonts don't have characters for different symbols.  One of my favorites to use is 19.  ‼  Its two exclamation points in one character...don't ask me why they have that.  =P  ‼‼‼‼‼‼‼‼‼‼‼
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2003, 10:17:30 AM »
Those double exclamation marks make sense when you remember that text used to be fixed width (i.e. all characters have the same width). However, the lower end of the table is reserved for special characters (ESC, \n, ^H, \a, etc). Some people like to express 8-bit values in hex, so 32 (space) is 20 (was 0x for denoting hex or binary?) and 36 is 24.

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2003, 11:08:58 AM »
Whoa thats cool. I knew that if you held down alt and pushed numbers on the keypad it would make symbols  but i never knew why. I like to make upside down question marks using 936 and alt

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline OO7craft

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2003, 02:01:05 PM »
hold down windows key + push r

Type in charmap

now find a pretty letter u like and click it.  Look in the bottom left corner and right corner.  in the bottom right it will say what the alt + whatever is to make that symbol is.  If it doesnt then look at the bottom left.  U will see a number like U+0039.  Open windows calculator and type that 0039 into it under the HEX setting. (Make sure u got sientific caculator view open)  then click dec to get to deciaml and it will give u what u need to push with alt to make that character.

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2003, 12:20:11 PM »
That is pretty cool.  This is learned in programming im guessing?
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln