Author Topic: Suda 51: No More Heroes Series is Going Beyond Wii  (Read 11203 times)

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Suda 51: No More Heroes Series is Going Beyond Wii
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 11:00:34 AM »
And I was really hoping for an MGS2 remake or a port of the PS2 MGS collection on Wii.

A pity no one bought Twin Snakes.

I DID! used from gamestop during a buy 2 get one 1 free deal..

I did, too.  I still have it and play it from time to time.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 11:18:34 AM »
I've been meaning to go back and try to get as many dog tags as possible, since TS was the first MGS i played and was very bad at the stealth thing at first. Well, not so much that i was bad at being stealthy, but i'd panic when i'd be seen and go on a killing spree haha.

I'll probably never do it though, oh well!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 02:49:11 PM »
MGS:TS was awesome. I've seldom had so much fun with a game.

But I'm not sure about Suda's actions here. If anything, it would've been much wiser to wait until after releasing NMH2 before declaring that NMH3 will be on another console.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline BwrJim!

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 04:20:22 PM »
I was thinking, the best way for this game to evolve may be along the lines of an mmorpg.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2009, 05:10:45 PM »

But I'm not sure about Suda's actions here. If anything, it would've been much wiser to wait until after releasing NMH2 before declaring that NMH3 will be on another console.

Yeah, Suda might have just Viewitful Joe'd his series.  The first Viewtiful Joe had success on the Gamecube just like NMH did on the Wii.  But then Capcom got greedy and decided to port the first game to the PS2, before announcing Viewtiful Joe 2 for the Gamecube, which would also be coming to the PS2 as well.

Needless to say, the PS2 port of Viewtiful Joe bombed because PS2 owners didn't care for it, Viewtiful Joe 2 on the Gamecube bombed because Nintendo fans were pissed off.  And since PS2 owners didn't care for the first Viewtiful Joe, the second game did beyond terrible on the PS2.

So in the end, Capcom ended up killing the series because they underestimated the Nintendo fanbase and overestimated the so-called hardcore gamers on the other systems.  Suda seems to be doing the same thing, thinking that the HD owners will magically give him greater sales, even though there's no evidence that a game like No More Heroes would do any better on those systems.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2009, 07:32:51 PM »
Quote from: Luigi Dude
Yeah, Suda might have just Viewitful Joe'd his series.  The first Viewtiful Joe had success on the Gamecube just like NMH did on the Wii.  But then Capcom got greedy and decided to port the first game to the PS2, before announcing Viewtiful Joe 2 for the Gamecube, which would also be coming to the PS2 as well.
I don't think VJ had that much success on the Cube like NHM had on the Wii. I think we need sale units to debunk that. VJ however is the better game out of the two, in my personal opinion.

Needless to say, the PS2 port of Viewtiful Joe bombed because PS2 owners didn't care for it, Viewtiful Joe 2 on the Gamecube bombed because Nintendo fans were pissed off.  And since PS2 owners didn't care for the first Viewtiful Joe, the second game did beyond terrible on the PS2.
Karma is indeed a harsh mistress when it comes to Nintendo fans. Piss them off, it will sting in the end. It happened to VJ 2, it may well happen to NMH2.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2009, 07:51:21 PM »
I don't think VJ had that much success on the Cube like NHM had on the Wii. I think we need sale units to debunk that. VJ however is the better game out of the two, in my personal opinion.
[/quote]

The GameCube version sold about 275K and the PS2 version about 40K, and those are worldwide numbers. The game pretty much bombed, it only got a sequel because the budget was so low that they made a profit on it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BwrJim!

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2009, 11:29:19 PM »
remember the whole godzilla..  Sold extremly well on cube, sold poorly on others..

corperate thought: "lets just push the sequel on the other platforms and forget about the cube"
Corperate afterthought: "wha happend?"

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2009, 11:41:46 PM »
remember the whole godzilla..  Sold extremly well on cube, sold poorly on others..

corperate thought: "lets just push the sequel on the other platforms and forget about the cube"

Same with Soul Calibur 3/4, Prince of Persia series and Beyond Good and Evil.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2009, 11:44:06 PM »

Hold up now, I don't think the Wii could handle the latest PoP or what we've seen of the new Beyond Good & Evil, so it's not really fair to bring those up.  Soul Calibur 3/4 is fair game, though.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2009, 11:47:53 PM »
Soul Caliber 3 kind of deserved it (it wasn't that good), but 4? It really bombed? Sale figures please?

The GameCube version sold about 275K and the PS2 version about 40K, and those are worldwide numbers.
Most of the Cube's sales might just be NA/EU. VJ has a fanbase here, we loved it that much. (<3 my VJ).

Hold up now, I don't think the Wii could handle the latest PoP or what we've seen of the new Beyond Good & Evil, so it's not really fair to bring those up.
First one,might find success. Second? It will fail, massively. If it sells, then the 360/PS3 fanbase do have taste.

It wont make a dent in the Rabbids Gone Home sales though. Rabbids have a huge fanbase, BG&E does not.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2009, 12:02:04 AM »

Hold up now, I don't think the Wii could handle the latest PoP or what we've seen of the new Beyond Good & Evil, so it's not really fair to bring those up.  Soul Calibur 3/4 is fair game, though.

My point was that they ignored the system that sold the most copies. Wii is the market leader. PoP and BG&E should have been made with it in mind from the beginning.

I'm especially sorrowful of BG&E.
My Game Collection

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2009, 12:07:25 AM »
Don't care, the first one was pretty shitty.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2009, 12:33:17 AM »
Lapsed gamer now?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2009, 03:08:05 AM »

The first BG&E? Bit your tongue! It was awesome. It was as good as games like Twilight Princess I would say.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2009, 03:13:21 AM »
Don't care, the first one was pretty ****ty.

The first BG&E? Bit your tongue! It was awesome. It was as good as games like Twilight Princess I would say.

Meh, I wouldn't call the first BG&E "****ty", but it was pretty average.  I just never saw anything particularly exceptional about the gameplay, especially the lousy stealth mechanic.  And this is just a pet peeve, but it really bothered me that a game called "beyond good and evil" strictly was about good vs. evil with no gray area inbetween.  Oustanding music and graphics, though.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2009, 02:46:05 PM »

He was referring to NMH.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »

He was referring to NMH.

And he was wrong ;)

He's just made he couldn't get the Schpeltiger on a crazy futuristic track with jump and loops at intense speeds, or use the GCN bongos to rhythmically combo enemies with Travis"' beam katana :P
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2009, 05:49:11 PM »
This is not encouraging but since it involves Wii third party support being embarassingly poor it's not unexpected.  This happened with the Cube and the way things have been going, regardless of how idiotic it may seem, it was probably inevitable.  Regardless of what the reason is third parties clearly do NOT want to support the Wii and it was only a matter of time before the console started losing some of the support it did have.

The Wii's sales will likely be unaffected.  Nintendo will be unaffected.  The Wii is so polarizing that it won't really affect the userbase; the Wii is either the absolute worst console or the absolute greatest and no one is going to change their opinion over this.

Will No More Heroes do better on the other consoles?  Probably not.  It's a big fish in a small pond and only stands out because for the Wii there is so little else for that target market.  Though there is the image of the Wii being the casual console so Suda 51 probably believes that even if the overall Wii userbase is larger the amount of the userbase that would actually be the market for his game is greater on the other consoles.  This is probably what the vast majority of third parties think (and we can't really disprove them though I don't think anyone has truly put up ANY sort of a decent effort and Nintendo's core games do sell).

According to the incredibly reliable source of Wikipedia, ;) when first day sales of No More Heroes in Japan were disappointing Suda51 said that "only Nintendo is doing well in regard to the Wii's success because of its adoption by casual gamers."  He later retracted the comment but he did say it so at some point he probably believed it.

The thing is though is that No More Heroes isn't good enough to be a huge iconic game franchise in any environment.  Low sales could entirely be deserved.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2009, 06:15:51 PM »
You know it cuz you've played it, right?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2009, 04:29:54 PM »
NMH3 probably won't be released until 2012 at the earliest.  A new Nintendo console will be introduced around that time.  Assuming it has motion controls, Suda will be best served creating NMH3 with the Natal in mind and then porting it to the new Nintendo system.

Hey, look at that; I was right.

Someone owes me a Coke.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2009, 04:38:13 PM »
Congrats Suda, you may not be that stupid after all.

Too bad you can't give your intelligence to Hideo.