Author Topic: Mario Galaxy 2 Announced  (Read 12882 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Galaxy 2 Announced
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 01:53:43 AM »
I don't see it. Could someone explain how World was a step back from 3? World had more secrets, Yoshi, new crazy powerups, a connected over world you could easily backtrack and was just a larger and more epic game. The only thing that 3 might have over World is general difficulty. But those last super secret World levels were pretty darned tough. Oh, and I guess the moving enemy brothers and boss ships.

Not a big step back in my mind.

Also note I favor 3 over World on a personal preference level. So it's not Mario World Nostalgia Monster controlling my opinion here.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 01:55:32 AM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009, 01:57:57 AM »
"new crazy powerups"

> I think the feather was the only new one, the rest were from SMB1. One could say that's streamlining the gameplay but I can see how a lot of good powerups are missed. But I agree, Yoshi and longer levels make up the difference
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009, 01:59:00 AM »
There will never be a "best" Mario game. That's always been my philosophy. All games are great in their own way and brings new ideas to the table. Trying to claim that X Mario game is the best is like trying to claim that Rap music reigns over every other genre; its just foolish and impossible due to the emotional responses music creates in people. The same can be said about Mario.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2009, 02:03:48 AM »
"new crazy powerups"

> I think the feather was the only new one, the rest were from SMB1. One could say that's streamlining the gameplay but I can see how a lot of good powerups are missed. But I agree, Yoshi and longer levels make up the difference

What about the balloon that inflates Mario? Plus Yoshi gets power ups depending on the color of turtle he has in his mouth. I'm sure there were one or two other new ones in World as well.
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2009, 02:05:51 AM »
I don't see it. Could someone explain how World was a step back from 3? World had more secrets, Yoshi, new crazy powerups, a connected over world you could easily backtrack and was just a larger and more epic game. The only thing that 3 might have over World is general difficulty. But those last super secret World levels were pretty darned tough. Oh, and I guess the moving enemy brothers and boss ships.

Not a big step back in my mind.

Also note I favor 3 over World on a personal preference level. So it's not Mario World Nostalgia Monster controlling my opinion here.

I don't care about secrets in a Mario game, I didn't particularly like the implementation of Yoshi in World even though Yoshi's Island is top 10 for me, you can't seriously be saying the powerups in World are anywhere near as good as the ones in 3, I don't want backtracking in a platformer. Maybe it's just because I've beaten Mario 3 a few dozen times and I've only played through World a couple times but I don't think 3 is harder than World.

EDIT: This is at least the third thread I've derailed by expressing my dislike of Super Mario World.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2009, 03:56:50 AM »
I thought Super Mario World was several steps back from Super Mario Brothers 3 and I can't wait for this game.
Something tells me you would have anticipated the release of Super Mario World during its development, especially since it was titled Super Mario Brothers 4 (and I think that stuck in Japan). Things might change when you actually play this.

EDIT: This is at least the third thread I've derailed by expressing my dislike of Super Mario World.
Meh, who cares? All we have is a 2-minute trailer to go on so there's not really much to talk about concerning Galaxy 2. Might as well discuss previous games now because there will be plenty of time to discuss this game once some solid details are revealed.

I don't care about secrets in a Mario game, I didn't particularly like the implementation of Yoshi in World even though Yoshi's Island is top 10 for me, you can't seriously be saying the powerups in World are anywhere near as good as the ones in 3, I don't want backtracking in a platformer. Maybe it's just because I've beaten Mario 3 a few dozen times and I've only played through World a couple times but I don't think 3 is harder than World.
By what you are describing, it sounds like the game was just different than what you wanted. I can see how you would be disappointed in it but I'm not sure if it is fair to say it is a step back just because it is something different.

The powerups in Super Mario Brothers 3 were underutilized so I did want to see them return, but everything in World just seems more refined than SMB3. I still find SMB3 to be the best 2D Mario game, but World is also something special to me.

Pap64 wins the thread though. Twice.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2009, 04:13:38 AM »

I thought Super Mario World was several steps back from Super Mario Brothers 3 and I can't wait for this game.
Something tells me you would have anticipated the release of Super Mario World during its development, especially since it was titled Super Mario Brothers 4 (and I think that stuck in Japan). Things might change when you actually play this.

I'm sure I would have been hugely excited for World. I guess I should subdue my excitement for Galaxy 2 in case it turns out that way again.

By what you are describing, it sounds like the game was just different than what you wanted. I can see how you would be disappointed in it but I'm not sure if it is fair to say it is a step back just because it is something different.

Well there's no factual way to say something like that, it's all opinions, and in my opinion the game was worse and a step back because it did things differently.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 04:19:31 AM by insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ATimson

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2009, 07:32:29 PM »
You know, I never understood why Nintendo made these incredible game engines for their Mario games and only used them once in a generation.
I don't know about Sunshine, but the Super Mario 64 engine served as the basis for the Ocarina of Time engine.
Grr. Argh.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2009, 07:36:58 PM »
You know, I never understood why Nintendo made these incredible game engines for their Mario games and only used them once in a generation.
I don't know about Sunshine, but the Super Mario 64 engine served as the basis for the Ocarina of Time engine.
I would imagine they would transform a lot of their existing engines into other games, that's probably just not something they talk about in interviews or anything. Super Mario Sunshine was probably enhanced from the Super Mario 64 engine and I'm pretty sure Wind Waker was also derived from the N64 Zeldas engine.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2009, 07:37:25 PM »
Parts of the Sunshine engine were utilized in 1080* Avalanche, mainly snow effects.  And I'd imagine the knowledge gained from making Wave Race Blue Storm helped the development of Sunshine.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2009, 01:28:41 AM »
I would imagine they would transform a lot of their existing engines into other games, that's probably just not something they talk about in interviews or anything. Super Mario Sunshine was probably enhanced from the Super Mario 64 engine and I'm pretty sure Wind Waker was also derived from the N64 Zeldas engine.

I doubt that Sunshine and Mario 64's engines have little to anything left in common. Different systems with vastly different achitechtures. Sure, engines can be ported around and what have you, but that kind of jump would require a lot more of an engine than SM64 could ever offer.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2009, 01:56:33 AM »

I doubt that Sunshine and Mario 64's engines have little to anything left in common. Different systems with vastly different achitechtures. Sure, engines can be ported around and what have you, but that kind of jump would require a lot more of an engine than SM64 could ever offer.
Super Mario 64's engine was probably the starting point for Super Mario Sunshine's engine. There's no point coding a game engine from scratch when you don't have to.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2009, 02:30:53 AM »
In my limited understanding/rememberance of programming I'm pretty sure most, if not all of the code made specificaly for Super Mario 64's engine would not be used in Sunshine.

The N64 and the Gamecube were very different systems. The chips were different, the achitecture was different and I would imagine these differences would require a very different mode of communication between the game and the system.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2009, 02:41:50 AM »
The N64 and GameCube have always seemed very similar to me especially since both are 64-bit systems but this is really one of those things where there's no way we could ever know, so it's all speculation. Unlike how awesome Super Mario Galaxy 2 will be, since deep down we all know it to be true.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2009, 04:42:38 AM »
In my limited understanding/rememberance of programming I'm pretty sure most, if not all of the code made specificaly for Super Mario 64's engine would not be used in Sunshine.

The N64 and the Gamecube were very different systems. The chips were different, the achitecture was different and I would imagine these differences would require a very different mode of communication between the game and the system.

Unless they are coding in assembly(which they weren't), what kind of code you use wouldn't matter. However, they probably have to re-write all their hardware communication functions. So no they would probably only have to rewrite about 20% of it. Plus, they have learned so much from their first engine, most of the logic is in place.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2009, 02:12:11 PM »
From the trailer it looks like it uses the same engine

Stop getting so damn hung up about the engine, people! Engines are back-end stuff. Did you know that Megaman 6 used a different engine than 1-5? It really doesn't matter to users what engine gets used, an engine is primarily in charge of getting the data loaded and displayed/sounded, interpreting inputs, etc. Engines are technical stuff that is of no concern to the user.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2009, 03:18:31 PM »
The only people I expect to hear complaining about Mario Galaxy 2 are the ones who complained about Majora's Mask.

Nope. This is different because Majora's Mask was significantly different from OoT.. SMG2 looks almost exactly the same, and I really dislike that. All Mario games before this one have been distinct from their predecessors - not so much here.

EDIT: I know this will be an incredible game. There's no way it won't. But I'm saddened by the lack of originality, especially from the best game studio in the world.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 03:22:15 PM by IceCold »
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2009, 03:31:39 PM »
The only people I expect to hear complaining about Mario Galaxy 2 are the ones who complained about Majora's Mask.

Nope. This is different because Majora's Mask was significantly different from OoT.. SMG2 looks almost exactly the same, and I really dislike that. All Mario games before this one have been distinct from their predecessors - not so much here.

EDIT: I know this will be an incredible game. There's no way it won't. But I'm saddened by the lack of originality, especially from the best game studio in the world.

Well, actually, I personally didn't like MM. I really thought it was "more of the same" from Nintendo, and was a little miffed that it was the first Zelda that was so similar to a predecessor.

*shrug* I know I'm in the minority in that. But with the Majora's Mask retread so clearly beloved by so many Nintendo fans, I simply don't understand the cautious sentiment towards SMG2.

But ANYWAYS, what about Miyamoto's comment that SMG2 will be 90-95% "New?"
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 03:45:47 PM by Kairon »
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2009, 07:10:12 PM »
But ANYWAYS, what about Miyamoto's comment that SMG2 will be 90-95% "New?"
That could mean anything really. The bulk of the content is the worlds so having all-new levels could be considered 90-95% new. I expect to see a lot of recycled graphics and sound but I don't really care about that.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2009, 03:36:26 PM »
EVERYONE, STOP THINKING

People, it's called "Galaxy 2," therefore it's the second Galaxy game.  And since there's no Doki Doki Panic Revolution EX that took place after Super Mario Galaxy, we shouldn't be expecting major departures based on sequel numbers.  If you want something new and exciting, I recommend Tenchu 4: Shadow Assassins to all you Mario fans.  Unlike Galaxy, Tenchu 4 uses waggle in more interesting, useful ways.

And people were grateful for Majora's Mask cuz it gave a 3D Zelda fix in only 2 years and not 4 or 5 years.

I don't see the smoldering idiots yet complaining how the three Metroid Prime games were very similar.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 03:38:04 PM by NinGurl69 *huggles »
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2009, 07:52:53 PM »
EVERYONE, STOP THINKING

People, it's called "Galaxy 2," therefore it's the second Galaxy game.  And since there's no Doki Doki Panic Revolution EX that took place after Super Mario Galaxy, we shouldn't be expecting major departures based on sequel numbers.  If you want something new and exciting, I recommend Tenchu 4: Shadow Assassins to all you Mario fans.  Unlike Galaxy, Tenchu 4 uses waggle in more interesting, useful ways.

And people were grateful for Majora's Mask cuz it gave a 3D Zelda fix in only 2 years and not 4 or 5 years.

I don't see the smoldering idiots yet complaining how the three Metroid Prime games were very similar.

Majora's Mask may have used the same engine as Ocarina of Time, but it was a drastically different game that was pretty obvious early on.  Far more than Galaxy 2 seems to be.  As for the Metroid Prime Trilogy, all 3 bring something different to the table (not all of which are good, but they are all different).  Prime 1 took the series 2D formula and revolutionized it into something I actually liked (I never did care much for Super Metroid) with full 3D exploration and the 1st person perspective.  Prime 2 took what Prime 1 did and tried to badly knock-off Link to the Past with the dual-world concept and added a limited ammo system.  Prime 3 scrapped what didn't work in Prime 2 and added multiple planets; limited control over your gunship; and motion control.  What's Mario Galaxy 2 doing that's new?  So far, all we've been shown is Yoshi and a drill item.  Still holding out hope that this game will be awesome, though, even if I didn't care much for the monotony of Galaxy 1.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 07:55:31 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2009, 08:07:52 PM »
If you actually saw the trailer, there are a lot of things that are new.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2009, 08:10:32 PM »

I did indeed watch the trailer...several times, actually.  I saw 3 new powers, 2 of which are linked to Yoshi: the ability to use the drill item to drill through some surfaces underground or to the other side of the planetoid; the ability to ride Yoshi (with all the eating enemies that entails); and the ability to do...something to make Yoshi fill up like a balloon and float upward a bit.  Nice additions, sure, but I expect more out of Nintendo with one of their biggest franchises.  I can only hope that we do get a repeat of Majora's Mask with this game, because that game was so different; emotional; and dark that I easily prefer that game over Ocarina of Time.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 08:12:16 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2009, 08:16:30 PM »
Including an inflatable Yoshi!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/media/18635/1/5.jpg

/epic

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2009, 08:19:17 PM »

I did indeed watch the trailer...several times, actually.  I saw 3 new powers, 2 of which are linked to Yoshi: the ability to use the drill item to drill through some surfaces underground or to the other side of the planetoid; the ability to ride Yoshi (with all the eating enemies that entails); and the ability to do...something to make Yoshi fill up like a balloon and float upward a bit.  Nice additions, sure, but I expect more out of Nintendo with one of their biggest franchises.  I can only hope that we do get a repeat of Majora's Mask with this game, because that game was so different; emotional; and dark that I easily prefer that game over Ocarina of Time.

I'm sure it will surpass your standards. Calling it a rehash almost guarantees it.
black fairy tales are better at sports