Author Topic: Mario Galaxy 2 Announced  (Read 12883 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Mario Galaxy 2 Announced
« on: June 02, 2009, 02:33:31 PM »
Mega-sequel is on its way.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=18639

Today's Nintendo Press Conference revealed that a sequel to Super Mario Galaxy is on the way.  Mario Galaxy 2 will feature Yoshi as a playable character, and he will be able to be inflated in order to access new areas.  Footage shown at the press conference was graphically stunning.  Nintendo's teleprompter labeled the video as "Beyond Galaxy," so the name may not be finalized.  Look for more information as it becomes available.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
Re: Mario Galaxy 2 Announced
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 01:38:19 PM »
Trailer shows that the Purple Comet will also make a return... but what are the new Shadow Marios there?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 01:41:09 PM »
Mr. Lindy Luthor should be on his honeymoon!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 01:41:47 PM »
Mario Galaxy 2 is more important than his new bride.   :-*
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 01:47:32 PM »
Wow, the new Mario game actually IS a real Mario game! :)

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 01:48:33 PM »
I saw a Grinder from SMW... and one level looks like a throwback to Huge Island from SMB3. When riding Yoshi, the Wii Pointer controls his licks. And a planet that is Luigi's head!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:54:19 PM by ThomasO »

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 02:08:06 PM »
I'd be more excited if I had actually loved Galaxy.  While I recognize its greatness, I put forth a minimal effort quitting after I got enough stars to challenge the last boss.  That said, I'm sure I'll get it and maybe even put forth more of an effort this time.

That other Mario game looks more interesting, although I don't know who I'm going to co-op with.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 02:35:23 PM »
Doesn't seem terribly imaginative but hey, SMG was good, this'll probably be good too.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 02:44:05 PM »
It's a Mario Galaxy expansion pack with Yoshi levels.  Whatever.  I'm happy for those that loved Mario Galaxy and just wanted more, but so far that looks...exactly...like what this is.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 06:13:16 PM »

And he is!  But that doesn't mean he doesn't get internet.  My wife was taking a nap, so I pitched in where I could.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 06:40:19 PM »
It's a Mario Galaxy expansion pack with Yoshi levels.  Whatever.  I'm happy for those that loved Mario Galaxy and just wanted more, but so far that looks...exactly...like what this is.

Expansion pack? Ok.

A 2.5-3 year in development expansion pack (By the time it comes out). Must be the greatest expansion pack EVER. I also am interested in playing that God of War 1.3 expansion pack!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 06:54:19 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 07:42:38 PM »

And he is!  But that doesn't mean he doesn't get internet.  My wife was taking a nap, so I pitched in where I could.
The new wife was taking a nap at 10:30am*?
you naughty man you. :high fives:

*or was that 11:30am? the time of the first post is an hour after the first reply and the forums are usually 1hr behind local time so now I'm a little confused
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 07:44:26 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 07:59:41 PM »

Expansion pack? Ok.

A 2.5-3 year in development expansion pack (By the time it comes out). Must be the greatest expansion pack EVER. I also am interested in playing that God of War 1.3 expansion pack!

I don't like God of War, so I don't see why you made that comparison.  In any case, yes it is an expansion pack.  From the trailer it looks like it uses the same engine and has a handful (1-3) of new powers.  If they had any more than that, they'd have shown it off in the video.  The only really new thing about this game is Yoshi, which looks like a fun addition but not necessary a major change.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 08:01:39 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 10:49:54 PM »
Super News!!!
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 11:03:47 PM »
As great as Super Mario Galaxy is, there is still more which can be done with its concepts so I'm quite hyped that there is a sequel in the works. Yoshi may also add another dimension to the game... we will see.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 11:59:44 PM »
EXCITEMENT. IT GROWS.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 01:21:23 AM »

The new wife was taking a nap at 10:30am*?
you naughty man you. :high fives:

*or was that 11:30am? the time of the first post is an hour after the first reply and the forums are usually 1hr behind local time so now I'm a little confused
Super News!!!
EXCITEMENT. IT GROWS.

Just sayin... ;D

Anyways, I'm glad they are giving Yoshi due justice in this game. Maybe we can get a new Yoshi game after this. It's been too long.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 09:02:23 PM »
You know, I never understood why Nintendo made these incredible game engines for their Mario games and only used them once in a generation.  I'm glad the Mario Galaxy engine is being re-used, because it's still the best one on the system.  I always thought it'd be a shame to use it for only one game.

When I posted this it was 1:30pm local time (Eastern).  We had just went out for a late breakfast and were full and sleepy.  She napped, I scoped the Nintendo press conference news.  We all have our vices!

Not saying there isn't any reason to high five.  Oh, no.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 09:18:25 PM »
You know, some fans will complain that this is "more of the same". I'm sorry but when more of the same means more amazing levels, polished gameplay, amazing graphics, incredible music, some great story (I hope Rosalina returns to this game) and on top on that brand new additions can you blame me for being excited?

Besides, the other companies showed sequel after sequel. Nintendo shows off ONE direct sequel and people complain its more of the same?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 09:25:21 PM »
I'm not the biggest fan of Super Mario Galaxy, but seriously, there's nothing negative about more of what that game has to offer.  It's quite likely the best 3D platformer ever.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 12:17:21 AM »
The only people I expect to hear complaining about Mario Galaxy 2 are the ones who complained about Majora's Mask.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 12:25:10 AM »
I am so hyped for this game. I actually didn't buy Super Mario Galaxy until last October and I don't know why I waited so long.

This game is probably being created because Nintendo feel there is more they can do with the concepts used in Galaxy. How can this not be good?

The only people I expect to hear complaining about Mario Galaxy 2 are the ones who complained about Majora's Mask.
I complained about Majora's Mask. That game actually greatly changed the formula but this is sticking with it. It's more likely the people who will complain are those who complained about Super Mario World being a step back from Super Mario Brothers 3.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 12:26:49 AM by Mop_it_up »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 01:08:00 AM »
Actually, I complained about Majora's mask too! Or, well, had internal and not loudly-voiced complaints.

And WHAT?!?! People complained about Super Mario World? T_T How could they?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 01:13:59 AM »
I hope SMG2 also has a time limit to keep babies from playing it.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 01:35:28 AM »
I am so hyped for this game. I actually didn't buy Super Mario Galaxy until last October and I don't know why I waited so long.

This game is probably being created because Nintendo feel there is more they can do with the concepts used in Galaxy. How can this not be good?

I complained about Majora's Mask. That game actually greatly changed the formula but this is sticking with it. It's more likely the people who will complain are those who complained about Super Mario World being a step back from Super Mario Brothers 3.

I thought Super Mario World was several steps back from Super Mario Brothers 3 and I can't wait for this game.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent