Author Topic: Super Mario Galaxy 2  (Read 189635 times)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Galaxy 2
« Reply #200 on: June 30, 2009, 12:07:03 AM »
I agree, there were many parts where you could tackle something from a different angle; I liked shell shredding for 8 red coins and then deciding to aim for the 100 coin-star first, or cannon-launching to a distant star instead of climbing up carefully, or practicing short cutting on the slide races, or throwing baby penguins off the map... Mario G had none of this which I hope is rectified in the sequel.

YI DS had broken game mechanics in trying to achieve 100% in multiple levels so it's the red headed stepchild to Miyamoto's octomom of awesome game children.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 30, 2009, 01:37:07 AM »
I agree, there were many parts where you could tackle something from a different angle; I liked shell shredding for 8 red coins and then deciding to aim for the 100 coin-star first, or cannon-launching to a distant star instead of climbing up carefully, or practicing short cutting on the slide races, or throwing baby penguins off the map... Mario G had none of this which I hope is rectified in the sequel.
Galaxy wasn't trying to become another Mario 64, but throwing in some of those things might make it a more well-rounded experience. (Throw a bone to Mario 64 fans, but keep the Galaxy awesome intact.)

TB means that each star is a unique challenge, not different ways to get one star.  So the stage procedure was different each time.
This.

YI DS had broken game mechanics in trying to achieve 100% in multiple levels so it's the red headed stepchild to Miyamoto's octomom of awesome game children.
YI DS tried new things, just fell onto old habits... and stuff.

Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 30, 2009, 02:43:28 AM »
See, to me, collecting 100 coins, for the most part, was an issue in SM64, there were too few on some stages, and you had to defeat several enemies just right, among things.  Literally, I gathered 119 stars, and then got stuck in Tick Tock Clock (or whatever it was called.)  I just couldn't do it.  I had to borrow a Gameshark, and literally cheat.

In most cases, it was less a pain in Sunshine, by virtue that I don't remember any major struggles for coins there, at least.  If there were enough coins for a hundred coins to be found easily enough, and earning 100 coins just means you discovered every hidden place and grabbed a handful of coins while you were there, that wouldn't be a problem.  The problem was that often, one wrong move, and you had to start over with several difficult trials, and it just got to be no fun.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 30, 2009, 02:56:30 AM »
Maybe I'm a gaming masochist, but I liked that about Mario 64. The challenge of trying to milk every last coin from a stage was exhilarating for me. I don't deny it was hard, but I loved it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 30, 2009, 11:53:31 AM »
Maybe I'm a gaming masochist, but I liked that about Mario 64. The challenge of trying to milk every last coin from a stage was exhilarating for me. I don't deny it was hard, but I loved it.

I loved it then too, but after doing that a second time around in Sunshine* it was a pain. If I had to do that again in galaxy, i just wouldnt bother.

*What i mean here is, collectiong the 100 coins in each leven in Sunshine a second time around, because my save file was deleted. At that point in my life, i started having less and less time to play my Cube, and i'm a bit of a completionist so doing that all over again was tedious. Once it was done, i vowed to never go thru that again.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #205 on: June 30, 2009, 12:31:26 PM »
Mass collection isn't something that should be repeated the same way in each new game.  I prefer the number and scope of collectibles to get changed up.

Collecting 100 Gold Skultullas in Ocarina of Time was cool.  There was thought put into their placement and audio hints were utilized to aid the player as a kind of radar (like Metroid Prime missiles).

Then it was changed up nicely for Majora's Mask, shoving the spiders into one house and spreading the 15 weirdo fairies in each of the 4 dungeons.  It provided focus and made it perceivably less like an endless task.  And the fairie mask was great, I felt like Medusa from Castlevania 1.

Wind Waker collection was all kinds of broken, inserting MAPS in between the initial puzzle and the final reward.  Rubbish.

Finding bugs in TP was OK at best.  Locating glowing dots in the wild was interesting, giving a hint of suspicion to me.  Finding the bug and seeing it really had no more personality than a glowing dot was lame.  But Agitha was great, probably the best part of the game, rivaled by Malo and Skeletor Sensei and Yeto.  LOOK INTO MY EYES uh
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 30, 2009, 02:20:14 PM »

Have you played Klonoa?  It sounds right up your alley.  Each level has a maximum of 150 gems (read:  coins) and it can be downright tricky to collect all of them.  There are also certain places where you can collect a power up that doubles each gen you collect for a few seconds.  If you want to get the full 150 you not only have to figure out how to maximize the usefulness of the power up, but you have to actually collect the gems in the time limit, which can sometimes be downright evil.  ;D
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 30, 2009, 04:23:17 PM »
I think you just bumped it up on my to-buy list.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 30, 2009, 04:42:19 PM »
I enjoyed it.

It's a lot like Mario games.  If your goal is to just beat the level it's pretty easy.  But if you want to collect all the items it can be pretty challenging.  If you play through the game a second time in reverse there is a hidden challenge room in each level.  These are flipping impossible!  I don't find them fun personally because the challenge lies solely in the fact that you have to perform multiple mid-air jumps perfecting and if your timing is off just a little bit you die.  I'm sure Greg enjoys them.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 30, 2009, 07:37:06 PM »
Klonoa is a good game for anyone who likes 2-D Mario games. It's argueably the best looking platforming on the Wii right now (rivaling Galaxy, personaly).

And it's cheap too. That's a massive plus.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 01, 2009, 05:55:39 PM »

Artoon made it, not Nintendo. And yeah, it's terrible.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 01, 2009, 05:56:34 PM »
Adopted stepchild indeed
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 01, 2009, 08:59:14 PM »
EAD Tokyo is Nintendo's favorite biological child.

If it happened, Good Feel could make an excellent addition to the family.

Artoon is the child that got lost through foster care. =/

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #213 on: July 04, 2009, 09:32:49 PM »
I think Super Mario 64 had some stars designed for the hardcore player, like the collecting 100 coins, it wasn't necessary to beat the game.  So you didn't have to do it. 

A game should be like that...allow you to see everything in the game and beat the game, but have extra challenges for those that wait to push the themselves and the game.  The 100 coins in Super Mario 64 were difficult, but not impossible.

I think Sunshine actually had quite a few difficult 100 coin levels where you had to kill every single enemy to get close.  But what killed Super Mario Sunshine was the searching for the blue coins.  That was annoying.

I think Galaxy had a few levels that felt more open, but I agree most of the time you were on a set path.  I kinda liked that direction better than in Mario 64 honestly.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 05, 2009, 01:17:26 AM »
That set-path still gave you alot of freedom to tackle things a certain way. Freezeflame Galaxy's Baron Brr stage, holy fun-****.

Don't let us down Koizumi!

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #215 on: February 25, 2010, 06:19:32 AM »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 25, 2010, 06:22:39 AM »
Instead of just a link, you think you could maybe quote some interesting parts and bold a few key comments? I don't want to click through and read the whole thing.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 25, 2010, 12:49:47 PM »

See in full size here

Sweet box art.

By the way, the release date in Europe is 11th June.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 25, 2010, 12:56:39 PM »
KMJ, hotlinking the image isn't working.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 25, 2010, 12:59:07 PM »
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 25, 2010, 02:01:21 PM »
Not only does that box art **** all over SMG1's box art, it's wearing NSMBWii's box art as slippers.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 25, 2010, 02:08:47 PM »

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 25, 2010, 03:25:54 PM »
Is that the real thing?  If so, I dig it.  Its not amazing but it works. 
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 25, 2010, 03:32:45 PM »
Why are there clouds.. in space?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 25, 2010, 03:38:29 PM »
Perhaps you've heard of something called 'atmosphere'?