Author Topic: New Play Control Pikmin  (Read 14271 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: New Play Control Pikmin
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2009, 12:51:33 AM »
Oh no, a comparison to Majora's Mask isn't going to make matters better. I couldn't stand that time gauge because it doesn't actually tell you how much time you really have!

It would be harder to gauge how much I could complete in one day if I couldn't time how long each task takes.

Dude get a watch.
That isn't a bad idea actually. I could time how long it takes for one day to end, then set a stopwatch each time I begin a day.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2009, 12:54:08 AM »
But I thought you didn't like timers.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2009, 01:07:11 AM »
Maybe its just me, but the timer in Pikmin was better than in MM. It tells you progression of the day more efficiently than MM.

Here's how to read it...
Left=Morning
Middle=Noon
Right=Night

Once you know this you can easily tell what time is it and create strategies around it.

One again dude, the best recommendation is to try the game out because then you'll have a better idea of how the game plays. Its obvious that out explanations and tips have not truly convinced you, so the only thing left is to play it. Hell, play it casually without any set goal and enjoy how the game plays rather than worry about the timer.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2009, 03:16:06 AM »
I'm sorry, I knew I should have listened to my gut and not mentioned Majora.
I was merely referring to the clock on your screen. There is no other similarity to Majora. Listen to Pap64, he explains it better.
Or watch gameplay videos on youtube. That should give you an idea of how it rolls.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2009, 01:26:53 PM »
Guys, I was leery about the timer too, at first. Then I played the game... it made for some exciting/tense moments that were really awesome. Like, "Ah! The day's ending, and a pikmin somehow got left way over on the other side of the map! I must save the poor little bugger!" So you put the rest of your pikmin in the onion (their home) and race off to get the little guy. Chaos/drama/excitement ensues... but in a fun way!

And if you're worried not about the day-timer, and more about the 30-day limit, don't be. There're more than enough days to explore to your heart's content and still beat the time limit. As you get used to the system, you'll be getting multiple parts per day much of the time, leaving days just for exploring fun.

Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2009, 04:43:59 PM »
I think a few people got this.I will probably get this down the road.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2009, 07:54:35 PM »
I got the game last night and started playing today. I miss the GameCube controller, but am getting used to the Wii Remote for it. First 5 days went just fine. I had to use the feature to replay days though after a disaster on day 6, I lost 70 Pikmin stupidly trying to beat those 3 Burrowing Snagrets. The game seems to move faster than I remember (in terms of how quickly time passes).

I can't wait for Pikmin 2, I like being able to just relax and taken my time (and Pikmin 2 lets you continue playing on the planet after you "beat" the game).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2009, 09:28:11 PM »
i am enjoying playing it again. The controls are little odd with control pad camera movements and down control pad direct traffic. I rather have that be minus button or c thats out of the way. Sometimes I press down and camera changes and it takes a second to readjust.

I'ts a very fun game and I really enjoy it. Time limit makes you feel pressure like it actually means something. If your really good you can get several parts in a day, as long as you get 1 item a day your fine. That's not asking to much. You can explore as the pikmin are walking back to the ship.

I wonder how Pikmin 2 will work because of the product placement. Will Nintendo change ALL those items or just renew the contracts. I bet those companies paid good money to be in a game. Assume its like $400 per game. YOu don't do anything and you if it sells 500k you get almost a million dollars easy money.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2009, 09:50:58 PM »
The game comes out next month in Japan and Europe (why Nintendo of America hasn't announced a date yet is annoying), so they did something. Maybe the original contracts are still in effect? Assuming those companies paid Nintendo (rather than Nintendo paying them), it's great advertising for them. I guess it made the game more realistic and made it seem more like Earth.

Does anyone know how to play with the Pikmin on the title screen? I think you could do that with the GameCube version, I know you could with Pikmin 2.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2009, 01:44:08 PM »
I gave in and bought it, though on principle I hate this lazy ports, but I never played Pikmin 1 and the game seems impossible to be found for GC around here. Also, any pikmin title deserves sales.

The control is ok, but I prefer much more the original GC one, it really doesn't work with a GC controller? thats such a shame. I still have to finish Pikmin 2, but I think I'll try to finish this one first.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2009, 09:35:56 PM »
Well I received the GC version of Pikmin from EasyCure today.I might get the New Play Control version if I like it.Now I am of to play the GC version.Thanks EasyCure!
I'll send it back when I am done.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2009, 12:02:49 AM »
Haha, isn't that vudu's?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2009, 12:20:32 AM »
Easycure had Vudu's and a copy of his own. EasyCure sent me his copy while Vudu got his back.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2009, 09:05:23 AM »
Easycure had Vudu's and a copy of his own. EasyCure sent me his copy while Vudu got his back.

Yeah i found a used copy at gamestop and bought it so i could finish up the game (eventually) and finally send vudu his copy back. That was months ago. vudu's copy is finally back in IL where it belongs, and yes i lent my used copy to Maxi since i knew i wouldn't have any time to finish it. Besides, if i can't take a nice vacation to California, my GC games should at least :)
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2009, 12:40:13 PM »
They should've AT LEAST make the game widescreen for the wii version, you know. If the play versions of the Metroid Primes come with GC option and widescreen I'll buy them in a heartbeat.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2009, 02:37:34 PM »
I think it does come in widescreen, all of the NPC games do.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2009, 04:00:45 PM »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure widescreen is a part of all of the Wiimakes. I know Mario Power Tennis has it so I'd be surprised if the others didn't.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2009, 04:07:57 PM »
They should've AT LEAST make the game widescreen for the wii version, you know. If the play versions of the Metroid Primes come with GC option and widescreen I'll buy them in a heartbeat.

GC option?  lul no.  The point of NPC is to sell ports as Brand New Games(TM, Nintendo Co. Ltd., in association with Capcom) that make people forget the GC ever existed.  Nintendo admittedly goofed early on by including GC controller ports and backwards compatibility and letting people use the C-stick in Brawl.  It just took time for them realize that transferring the "Super Mario Advance" mentality to the Wii was the best direction to go.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2009, 04:46:44 PM »
GC option?  lul no.  The point of NPC is to sell ports as Brand New Games(TM, Nintendo Co. Ltd., in association with Capcom) that make people forget the GC ever existed.  Nintendo admittedly goofed early on by including GC controller ports and backwards compatibility and letting people use the C-stick in Brawl.  It just took time for them realize that transferring the "Super Mario Advance" mentality to the Wii was the best direction to go.

This is astonishly dead-on but I can't tell if you consider this good or bad.  Or maybe your attitude about it is just nihilistic.

If Nintendo TRULY gave a **** about being an "and" company and providing options they would offer Gamecube controller support for these games (and would have for Twilight Princess) but they don't and it is quite obvious that they do that deliberately.  Though I think part of it is to "sell" the remote concept.  If you gave people the option to pick whatever control scheme they liked best what if people predominantly supported the Gamecube controls?  Nintendo's whole "new controller standard" stuff starts sounding pretty silly.  In a direct comparison Nintendo runs the risk of the remote looking inferior to traditional controls.  Traditional controls the competition uses.  Traditional controls that Nintendo spent a great amount of effort badmouthing.  Uh oh.  The remote has to look superior.  Now Nintendo SHOULD have the confidence in their new controller standard to let it face direct competition with the Cube controller.  But I don't thiink they ever truly thought they were making a new standard and thus don't have that confidence.

Though they did provide the option with Brawl and Mario Kart.  But those aren't "new and improved" with the use of the remote like Twilight Princess and the NPC games are.  They are original games.  But with those other ones if they don't "improve" the game the whole thing looks like a complete joke and a rip-off.  Imagine someone buying a Wii for Twlight Princess and then discovering that the Cube controls worked better and they could have saved money and just got it on the Cube instead?  No good.  At least with a Wii original, even if it just uses the Cube controller, the buyer knows that he HAS to own a Wii to play the game anyway and thus doesn't have the same buyer remorse.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2009, 04:51:40 PM »
"Or maybe your attitude about it is just nihilistic."

Bullseye.  Tail meets donkey.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2009, 06:23:37 PM »
Imagine someone buying a Wii for Twlight Princess and then discovering that the Cube controls worked better and they could have saved money and just got it on the Cube instead?
The GameCube version is currently more expensive than the Wii version.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2009, 06:43:47 PM »
It's only worth it if it's purchased.  Otherwise the seller just gets THE FINGER.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2009, 06:58:42 PM »
The GameCube version is currently more expensive than the Wii version.

Well, yeah, NOW it is.  But when the Wii launched it wasn't.  If you already owned a Cube and then bought a Wii specifically for Twilight Princess you would be mighty pissed if in the end you strongly preferred the Gamecube controls because you didn't need to buy a new console for that.  The new motion controls would have to provide enough value to justify the investment.  To remove the ability to make a direct comparison Nintendo just didn't provide the option.  And they're doing the same thing here so anyone who already owns these games doesn't buy NPC Pikmin, realize they strongly prefer the Cube controls, and then feel ripped off.

Offline tombo125

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2009, 08:59:39 PM »
I just tried this at best buy so I didnt get a long time with it.  How do you control the pikmin like the c-stick used to?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2009, 09:06:58 PM »
I just tried this at best buy so I didnt get a long time with it.  How do you control the pikmin like the c-stick used to?

Down on the D-Pad (you point the Wii Remote to control where you want to move them the same way you did with the C-Stick).