Author Topic: Super Wii: Thoughts on the Wii Successor  (Read 6214 times)

Offline TGM

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Super Wii: Thoughts on the Wii Successor
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 06:26:43 PM »
All I know is that, like the 3DS, I'll be suckered into buying the new system at launch. Once again, I would tell me friends that "It seemed like a good idea at the time!"
(Edit: I actually like the 3DS, though. It's just that I don't want to wait two months for games that I want. A man cannot be content with Street Fighter alone.)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 06:29:17 PM by TGM »
The cake has been a lie ever since Super Mario 64.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2011, 06:42:55 PM »
A Super Wii launch in 2011 would be super crazy, but not that crazy given Nintendo's current habit of shortened news timings.
Now, a more realistic shocker would be if this E3 2011 or TGS 2011 is the full reveal and the system is due out in the summer of 2012. Seeing as how Nintendo wants to avoid the problems of the Wii launch, would a quieter release in the summer be a nice move? The early adopters will snatch it up and than Nintendo will have plenty of time to plan a big fall and winter push. Also, this gives the Wii a little more time for its swan song with Dragon Quest X and other games.
This is why I wonder why people think it's so crazy. Nintendo has a history, especially in recent years of announcing things and then releasing months to weeks later. It's possible they won't do it but it's not unlikely or impossible as some may think.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 07:47:19 PM by NeoStar9X »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2011, 07:14:16 PM »
I could easily see Sony releasing a PS3 Slimmer with 2 GB of RAM. I see Microsoft doing the same with the 360.

You see wrong. This would break compatibility with existing consoles, so its not going to happen.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2011, 07:40:05 PM »
A Super Wii launch in 2011 would be super crazy, but not that crazy given Nintendo's current habit of shortened news timings.
Now, a more realistic shocker would be if this E3 2011 or TGS 2011 is the full reveal and the system is due out in the summer of 2012. Seeing as how Nintendo wants to avoid the problems of the Wii launch, would a quieter release in the summer be a nice move? The early adopters will snatch it up and than Nintendo will have plenty of time to plan a big fall and winter push. Also, this gives the Wii a little more time for its swan song with Dragon Quest X and other games.
This is why I wonder why people think it's so crazy. Nintendo has a history, especially in recent years of announcing things and then releasing months to weeks later. It's possibly they won't do it but it's not unlikely or impossible as some may think.
I be stoked if they announce they're starting shipping at E3.  Though with the recent Japan problems I couldn't realistically expect it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2011, 07:58:23 PM »
This is why I wonder why people think it's so crazy. Nintendo has a history, especially in recent years of announcing things and then releasing months to weeks later. It's possibly they won't do it but it's not unlikely or impossible as some may think.
I be stoked if they announce they're starting shipping at E3.  Though with the recent Japan problems I couldn't realistically expect it.

Machines wouldn't be manufacture in Japan though. There is also no reason why they need to launch just in Japan first. I don't expect it this year but would I put it past Nintendo to do something like that or push it out at the beginning of 2012 instead of Fall 2012? Not at all. Perhaps I'm to positive and hopeful.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2011, 08:02:53 PM »

Machines wouldn't be manufacture in Japan though. There is also no reason why they need to launch just in Japan first. I don't expect it this year but would I put it past Nintendo to do something like that or push it out at the beginning of 2012 instead of Fall 2012? Not at all. Perhaps I'm to positive and hopeful.

True but, a lot of Nintendo planning, logistics, etc. is in Japan and I doubt their back to full pre-crisis productivity yet.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2011, 11:15:23 PM »
Sony & MS would probably **** themselves if Nintendo announced at E3 that Wii2 was already being shipped and would be in stores WW this year.

The internet would probably collapse from that kind of news. But I'm honestly not expecting any sort of news like that. Early-Mid 2012 is all I'm realistically hoping for.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2011, 03:34:57 AM »
Almost all the critical and unique manufacturing capability Nintendo on contract has is in Japan. China only really assembles the machines and make non-critical components. Nobody will be back to pre quake levels for at least a full year since you can't just magic up a power plant, nuclear for otherwise. Makes the anti-nuclear prostests in Japan real dumb. Japan has no choice in the matter, they need the power and Japan is already very power efficient. Savings this summer will come from cuts in production.

Currently for Nintendo to match PS3/360 levels of graphical and computational power is trivial matter at a nominal price. You have to remember Sony and MS had to over extent themselves for that power hence the massive subsidies and expense. Also Nintendo can't duct tape two Wiis together to make a Super Wii. The hardware is already be archaic and I don't see anything like an iQue type console happening or be something I would ever consider buying. Project Cafe is only a code name, it's not like back in project Dolphin had anything to actually to do with actual Dolphin or parts of Dolphin. I would read nothing in to it.

If you were to infer anything from the code name would be an increased/improved focus on the social aspect of gaming, but that is not a hardware implement or design issue. I would expect a massive improvement in the OS that wold drive a Super Wii.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2011, 03:55:00 AM »
I think the main factor in the launch date for the next system is the 3DS, Nintendo needs to get some good software on that before shifting focus to another system.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2011, 07:31:26 AM »
I am sort of sad they went away from Ocean related codenames.