Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 615536 times)

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: New Wii Zelda
« Reply #375 on: December 15, 2009, 09:20:52 AM »
So far Zelda II is a darn good different Zelda game and I'm sure thats what Nintendo is aiming for. Anyone else remember Miyamoto saying that TP was the "last Zelda of it's kind" or something along those lines?

I've made peace with the side scrolling in Zelda II, at first it was weird, but now that I'm at the 3rd palace, I love it.

I loved Zelda 2 when I was a kid.  I'm glad I didn't have the internets back then so everyone could tell me how much they hated it.  When I first heard the dislike for 2 a few years ago I was shocked.  It really is a great game even though I could never find Shadow Link in the last dungeon.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 15, 2009, 11:22:42 AM »
Zelda II is awesome sauce, and the only thing I want to see in the new Wii Zelda is cel-shading to it's best with a grown-up Link.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 15, 2009, 11:31:21 AM »
If Link can't do it left-handed then it is no feat at all.

This is the most important reason.

There is also the fact the game barely needs precision with the bow anyway. The control implementation is mediocre, but to be honest is the best they could do, it is still a GC game and as a wii game it suffers because of it.

After playing wiisports resort I'm excited for the bow and sword mechanics for the next Zelda, specially the bow, because nintendo kind of stole my idea, (holy crap if I was mad at the port back then heh) I probably wasn't aware back then the remote was so limited in its tech and needed other addon.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:33:23 AM by mantidor »
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 15, 2009, 12:14:07 PM »
Zelda II comes across as a dated game but not really a bad game.  So if they ever went back to that design that would pretty cool.  Though I think I would prefer it as a one-off thing and not the new standard for 2D Zeldas.  That's probably why the game wasn't so popular.  I don't think anyone wanted that to be the Zelda formula.  If it was used for a brand new game I'll bet the series would still exist today, or at the very least there would be a very vocal segment of Nintendo fans demanding its return (like Kid Icarus).

The real version of Twilight Princess is the Gamecube version.  Nintendo can say it's the Wii version all they want but that doesn't make it true.  Of COURSE they would say that.  They were trying to sell you all a new console to play a game that you could play on your Gamecube.  Aside from the game being developed originally for the Cube in the first place and then later moved to the Wii, the game is clearly designed for traditional controls.  None of it is designed to take advantage of the remote, it's just mapping the Cube controls to waggle and pointing.  The graphics are also identical so it makes no use of the Wii's improved hardware and the game itself was flipped for the Wii version.  In the Cube version Link is left-handed and most of the map corresponds incredibly close to the map for Ocarina of Time which I'm sure was not an accident.  The Wii version is just NPC Twilight Princess.

This new Zelda will be the first Wii Zelda.  It will be designed from the ground up for the Wii and will make proper use of the Wii's unique features.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #379 on: December 15, 2009, 12:21:47 PM »
Alright here are a few more details about the game.

Details
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 15, 2009, 12:36:01 PM »
 Link is "already reproducing almost perfectly what you do with the remote and MotionPlus. Our team has already got a solid response from this aspect of the software."
- significant change to the Zelda structure
- hopeful for a showing at E3 2010
- well under development
- MotionPlus was not even around when development on this project started, which had the team working on just how to include it partway through development
- the final graphical style for the game hasn't yet been decided, and while a new style might be chosen, there are hints towards a more realistic approach
- according to Aonuma, some of the internet speculation has been correct
- Aonuma spent time playing Monster Hunter 3 to see what aspects really appeal most to the player

Wow, they havn't decided a graphical style yet? Now thats very interesting. For some reason I just keep expecting to see TP again as far as looks go, just cleaner. I wouldn't mind that, but can the colors just get a bit brighter and cheerier in some places? I like sunshine along with the gritty in a game like this. I can never forget how bright the sunshine is in OoT. Or that first time in Zora's domain, it just looked like a spa during the summer time. Day surely comes and goes in TP but the impression that I really remember is lots and lots of shade and earth tones.

Near perfect Wii mote control? and New Zelda structure? It has me very excited and would love to raise my hopes super duper high. I'm kinda wishing for the NSMB affect on myself, not being impressed by the first bit of footage, almost completely avoiding any videos after ward, getting the game and just becoming over whelmed with the pure enjoyment I get from the game.

But then again this is NEW Zelda, so nothing should come across as lame during the first impressions.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 15, 2009, 01:16:22 PM »
Not planning on using Motion+ from the get-go makes me a little uneasy.  Hopefully they were still early enough in development that they could add it for real and not just shoe-horn it in.  Considering the amount of time still left between now and any assumed release date it was probably early enough that it was okay.

For graphics style I wouldn't mind a common ground between TP and WW.  I really just don't like how WW looks like a Looney Tunes cartoon.  I think I'm not looking for realism as much as more reverence.  WW is too silly.  It comes across as Nintendo not taking Zelda seriously or specifically catering it towards kids.  Zelda can however be colourful and have some silly elements.  It's like how the Lord of the Rings films have a few scenes of comic relief with Merry and Pippen but otherwise are pretty serious movies.

Majora's Mask is not as realistic as TP and has quite a few goofy elements (like TINGLE for example) but the overall storyline and atmosphere is very no-nonsense.  I think it strikes a better balance than either of the Cube Zeldas.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 15, 2009, 01:17:22 PM »
I'm pretty sure Miyamoto has said before that graphics are usually the last major element they worry about since they like to focus on gameplay first.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #383 on: December 15, 2009, 01:24:10 PM »
Come on Ian if they didn't start making the game until Motion+ came around we would be waiting even longer for the release of the game.
Besides as BlackNMild said they focus on the gameplay first and perfect it first.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 15, 2009, 02:00:36 PM »
There is no doubt in my mind that they started this game the moment TP was done. Motion+ was no doubt in their minds but their developers were just not ready with it yet. Besides that i'm sure motion isn't the only thing thats going to be different as has been stated. Changing the formula must have been the first thing to happen.

I'm not worried at all.

RomanceDawn

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 15, 2009, 02:03:49 PM »
There is no doubt in my mind that they started this game the moment TP was done.
Technically Twilight Princess was finished in 2005. I highly doubt this game has been in development for 4+ years.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 15, 2009, 02:15:12 PM »
There is no doubt in my mind that they started this game the moment TP was done.
Technically Twilight Princess was finished in 2005. I highly doubt this game has been in development for 4+ years.

I wouldn't doubt it. Maybe not in the sense that programers were hard at work on stage design and such, but just like when they finish a console they go working on the next one right away I imagine the same for Zelda. Only because this is the Wii, and there hasnt been anything Zelda ground up for it yet. I have to think that concept art, and meetings about zelda's new direction have started since TP was done. Thats just me.

RomanceDawn

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 15, 2009, 02:41:49 PM »
I think Aonuma has said as much, that inmediately after finishing a console Zelda game they start working on the next one.

I'm not worried and I'm hyped, but still I really, really hope they have a lefty option, I don't want to swing swords right-handed at all.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #388 on: December 15, 2009, 05:29:02 PM »
I want Zelda 1's art style.  Little King's Story used a story-book art style in its cutscenes.  I want to see Zelda1 art come to life in a papery cel-shaded form.

Cuz graphics are all that people care about in Zelda.  Look at what happened to the internet 7 years ago.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #389 on: December 15, 2009, 07:39:52 PM »
Super Paper Zelda? Ick.

I like the Wind Waker look because I like simplicity in my characters. More simplistic characters are easier to relate to, FACT (based on psychology). I trend toward the "Meaning" side of Scott McCloud's Picture Plane and shy away from the "Reality" side. Personal preference, sure, but I think Wind Waker is more universally appealing thanks to its aesthetic.

However, the handheld Zelda games have hijaked the WW look, and that's fine. I didn't like Twilight Princess' look so much. There were times were it felt TOO detailed. I don't want Lord of the Rings, Nintendo.

Do you remember the illustrations in the Link to the Past and Link's Awakening instruction booklets? I really like THAT look. Perhaps a cell-shaded version of that. I think Hyrule looks best when it's a little bit cartoony and abstract.

As for the game's structure, I'll say again that I think it would be awesome if your character was NOT Link but a character who views Link from afar. At some point their goals become common, and you spend the majority of the game unwittingly helping Link destroy Ganondorf or something, only fully realizing your goal towards the end. Meanwhile, you come across epic battles in the background involving Link and forces of darkness...nothing you can do about them at times.

That would certainly open up the gameplay to experimentation. You could pilot an airship (flight may be in the game) and use a bow as your primary weapon (using the Sports Resort archery scheme).

Anyway, I'm excited that they want to take the series in a new direction. I think it's about time, and anything is possible!
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: December 15, 2009, 08:27:32 PM »
... i'm gonna hate the internet when videos/screens start appearing..
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 15, 2009, 09:56:16 PM »
eh zelda 1 art, i prefer mature alttp art, that artist died, but that stuff was sooo awesome!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 15, 2009, 10:12:40 PM »
I didn't like links hair in the alttp art, but i remember zelda looking awesome. Links uncle reminded me of Mairo...
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 15, 2009, 10:23:15 PM »
Hrmm...not playing as Link at all would be weird, maybe having two playable characters would seem better. Some parts of the game you play as Link and some parts you play as, say a Sheikah apprentice...with online multiplayer, random dungeon generator!
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 15, 2009, 10:28:20 PM »
Hrmm...not playing as Link at all would be weird, maybe having two playable characters would seem better. Some parts of the game you play as Link and some parts you play as, say a Sheikah apprentice...with online multiplayer, random dungeon generator!

and it should have voice acting, and blood, and sex, and it should be an MMORPG, and should be HD

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 15, 2009, 10:32:21 PM »
which alttp art are you talking about? the game had like 3 different art revisions.

compare
http://gallery.zeldalegends.net/displayimage.php?album=38&pos=32

http://gallery.zeldalegends.net/displayimage.php?album=38&pos=17

http://gallery.zeldalegends.net/displayimage.php?album=38&pos=34

there is actually more because there is a newer version of the same art for 4 swords/alttp, its essentially the same thing its just cleaner redrawn, with brighter colors
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:36:06 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 15, 2009, 10:33:26 PM »

and it should have voice acting, and blood, and sex, and it should be an MMORPG, and should be HD

I went too far? lol
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:52:10 PM by Toruresu »
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 15, 2009, 10:39:36 PM »
which alttp art are you talking about. the game had like 3 different art revisions.

compare
http://gallery.zeldalegends.net/displayimage.php?album=38&pos=32

http://gallery.zeldalegends.net/displayimage.php?album=38&pos=17

http://gallery.zeldalegends.net/displayimage.php?album=38&pos=34

there is actually more because there is a newer version of the same art for 4 swords/alttp, its essentially the same thing its just cleaner redrawn, with brighter colors

1. don't remember ever seeing thos first three pics...

2. never saw a single one of those! (unless the one of link touching the triforce was in the manual, it looks familiar.. It's also kinda earie that the closeup of link reminds me of his look in TP, slightly.

3. two of those are (repeated) in the manual, one i think was in the manual but i'm not sure, and the last one.. heh.. i still have that poster, its on my wall. It's so tattered though..

also, i'm really glad they gave (adult) link tights under the tunic. He looks odd without them..
Oh and theres on picture in particular I remember seeing in the manual, i believe its Link leading Zelda thru the depths of Hyrule Castle. Her wardrobe was better than what they have her in now (TP aside)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #398 on: December 15, 2009, 10:53:12 PM »
OK, drop that whole mature bizness already.  I'm trying to avoid that non-talking teen elf man everyone likes to herald as the hero of the series, cuz everyone tries to inject their ideas of story and drama and cinematics and emotion and expression into him.

http://gallery.zeldalegends.net/thumbnails.php?album=13

I'm promoting a return to Zelda1 for the purpose of focusing on a simplistic character that still appears serious about his duty within the adventure.  And in Zelda1, the adventure was in the gameplay, therefore Link was largely defined by his adventure, by the gameplay the player fused with head-on.  We didn't waste our time criteeking his design.  We game'd, we Zelda'd.

The art is still capable of variety of neat expressions.  But the game doesn't have to look just like it; i'm asking for some of that same SPIRIT.  And I'm not asking for Shitty Paper Mario sprite **** cutouts.  I'm looking for a 3D celshaded action adventure that looks like ornate storybook art, not paper cutouts, come to life, with some of that paper roughness and handdrawn shading stuff applied.  The Wii Bleach games simulated some manga shading, but I want to see that concept taken further for a seamless paper drawn look.

zeltards
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:55:00 PM by NinGurl69 *huggles »
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 15, 2009, 11:03:30 PM »
I found these by chance, did anyone here get to play them?

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/BS_Zelda_no_Densetsu basically a "master quest" for Legend of Zelda

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/BS_Zelda_no_Densetsu_Kodai_no_Sekiban same but for ALttP
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading: