Author Topic: DVR Hard Drive - need advice  (Read 3336 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
DVR Hard Drive - need advice
« on: November 26, 2010, 05:06:03 PM »
So my Dad has a DVR (or PVR, I seem to see both terms used) and he always complains about running out of space before he can watch all the shows he has recorded.  So I was thinking that getting him some additional storage space for the DVR would make a good Christmas gift.

The problem is I don't know **** about this stuff.  I know enough that I need a SATA hard drive as that is the connection on the back of the DVR.  But looking into SATA drives they're all internal hard drives.  External drives are all USB.

If I buy an internal hard drive what do I need to do to get it to work with the DVR?  I can't just have an internal hard drive sitting on top.  Wouldn't it need some sort of case to protect it from dust and such?  And how do I power it?  Internal hard drives don't have a standard wall plug and I know enough that SATA needs an external power source.

If anyone knows anything about this sort of stuff and could give me some advice that would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: DVR Hard Drive - need advice
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 05:30:42 PM »
There is a standard SATA port on the back of the DVR? That doesn't sound right. Are you sure it isn't eSATA? Plenty of enclosed external hard drives use eSATA, but they are generally more expensive than your typical USB 2.0 ones.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 05:46:59 PM »
Perhaps it is eSata.  When I looked I would not have known to notice the difference.  Since it is my Dad's I'll have to wait until the next time I visit to check.  I didn't actually look at the back of the device since that would have attracted my Dad's attention for obvious reasons.  I looked up the manual online to find out what connection it had.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 06:14:23 PM »
You don't have any sisters, or brothers in the house to check for you?

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 06:17:41 PM »
I do have a brother who could check for me... if said brother wasn't lazy and unreliable.

Well, if we assume the connection is eSATA, does anyone have any advice on how to increase the storage?  If anyone knows this stuff well could they give me a quick overview on how it works?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 06:38:51 PM »
Since you looked up the manual online, what kind of DVR is it and what is the model?
or perhaps link us to the manual so we have more info and can be more helpful.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 06:48:03 PM »
I'm at work so I don't have the model number with me.  I'll look that up tonight.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 06:37:22 PM »
It's a Motorola DCT3416 1.  I looked at the back and the port on the back just said SATA, not eSATA.

Looking at the manual at http://www.novusnow.ca/pdfs/DCT3400.pdf the back of the device is on page 11.

Comparing it to the SATA article on Wikipedia it looks like an eSATA port.  In fact the article shows an example of a DVR with an eSATA port and it clearly just says "SATA" as well.  Go figure.

As I said I don't know much about this stuff so you can see how I would be confused by a port that says SATA but is in fact eSATA.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 07:38:38 PM »
Looks like a SATA port to me

eSATA is rectangular
SATA has that L hook to it.

Looks like you are gonna need an external HDD with a eSATA connector and then goto monoprice and get a eSATA to SATA cable
But I've never tried to add an external to the DVR box (That's the same box that Comcast gave me a few years back)

Just a quick look on Monoprice gave me a external HDD dock w/ USB & eSATA connector - $25 (if you already have your HDD)
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10315&cs_id=1031502&p_id=5330&seq=1&format=2

Here is a 1TB SATA HDD to plug into it (if you don't already have one) - $60
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Intellipower-Desktop-WD10EARS/dp/B002U1N95K/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1290903773&sr=1-6

and here is a eSATA to SATA cable - $2.50
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10226&cs_id=1022603&p_id=3750&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

-Or- according to pg 29, you could use an External USB HDD
here is a 750GB external HDD from Amazon - $80
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Portable-External-E05A075PBU2XK/dp/B003BLQKIQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1290903205&sr=1-1

Of course the SATA connection will transfer data faster and both option I setup for you cost between $80-$90
I even did the shopping for you. ;D but you can use smaller HDD's if you want.

But the manual says to contact your service provider
Quote from: Manual
"Do not attempt to connect data devices without contacting your service
provider. Advanced data features require the proper application and
network infrastructure to operate."

p.s. I like the look of that HDD dock. It allows you to hotswap HDD's and it has a USB & an eSATA connector in the back.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 09:08:44 PM »
Also, keep in mind that just because the hardware allows you to use an external drive, it doesn't mean the software that your cable provider uses will let you do so. You should give them a call and talk to a tech first.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 10:42:44 PM »
Also, keep in mind that just because the hardware allows you to use an external drive, it doesn't mean the software that your cable provider uses will let you do so. You should give them a call and talk to a tech first.

I did mention that BTW

But the manual says to contact your service provider
Quote from: Manual
"Do not attempt to connect data devices without contacting your service
provider. Advanced data features require the proper application and
network infrastructure to operate."

The box I had from Comcast didn't support any of the external ports other than the component/composite & cable jack ports in the back

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 01:29:02 AM »
Didn't notice, just didn't want him to rush out and buy a drive.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 01:20:44 PM »
Thanks for your help, guys!  I'll make sure to call the cable company first before going ahead.