Author Topic: PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 129  (Read 5096 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 129
« on: January 13, 2009, 02:05:50 AM »
Get a preview of NWR's 2008 Awards in this abbreviated episode.  Also: click through to discover the first game in our new RetroActive feature!
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/podcastArt.cfm?artid=17525

Jonny screwed up, so you get a weird episode.  

Episode 129: Freeballin'    

AAC Format        Subscribe to AAC Feed    

MP3 Format        Subscribe to MP3 Feed    

Subscribe via iTunes        Digg Radio Free Nintendo    

All the rules are thrown out in this rambling episode of RFN, mainly because Jonny went brain-dead and forgot to do any planning for the show!  Instead of New Business, Listener Mail, DLC Mondays, or any kind of feature topic, we just take turns talking about whatever (mostly gaming-related).    

When it comes around to James, an offhand comment about the NWR Awards (which he's currently compiling and editing) results in a preview of sorts for this upcoming feature.  This discussion makes up about half of the unusually lean 45-minute episode.    

Although it isn't mentioned on the show this week, we've gone ahead and decided on a game for the upcoming play-along feature, now called RetroActive.  The first game will be Dynamite Headdy, an early Genesis title from famed developer Treasure (Gunstar Heroes, Sin & Punishment).  It seemed like an interesting, semi-obscure, and very accessible game to kick things off.  You can download it from Virtual Console for 800 Wii Points, so we hope you will play it too and discuss the game in our new dedicated RetroActive forum thread.  Also, please continue leaving game suggestions -- the next edition will be chosen by the listeners through a poll, so stay tuned to the forums and to RFN!    

Credits:    

This podcast was edited by Greg Leahy and James Jones.    

Music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is used with permission from Jason Ricci & New Blood. You can purchase their new album, Rocket Number 9, directly from the record label, or download it from iTunes, or call your local record store and ask for it!

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 129
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 02:11:38 AM »
Here's a special treat for everyone who complains about the show being too long.

We'd appreciate it if all discussion of the RetroActive feature and game could be diverted to the permanent RetroActive forum thread over in the NWR Discussion section.  It's not really pertinent to Episode 129 anyway, since we had not decided on a game or received any suggestions at the time we recorded this one.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:13:10 AM by Jonnyboy117 »
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Tybo68

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 01:48:30 PM »
Great episode as usual. How much time do you guys usually take before recording to set-up the show? I'm just curious because I want to make a podcast sometime. It seems like its a lot of work to get everything working and recording properly.
A night has a thousand saxophones so get out there and rock and roll the bones.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 01:48:44 PM »
any episode that mentions BOTH Cho Aniki and LORDS OF THUNDER = Epic Win

keep up the excellent work

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 04:50:08 PM »
The content planning usually takes me half an hour, but it can be more than double that if we have a complex feature with a lot of prep and background research.  Greg has been doing the latter for the past few feature topics.

The technical setup can take as little as five minutes or as much as thirty, depending on how smoothly everything runs and whether we have any special guests.  We use the same programs (Skype and Audacity) every week, so turning on the recording is relatively simple as long as we have used it all before.

Actually recording the show generally takes two hours, plus or minus half an hour.  We usually take about five minutes of break time between segments, but otherwise there is typically very little material left on the editing floor.

I've never done any of the audio editing and encoding, but my impression is that it requires at least twice if not thrice as much time as the recording's length.  We have recently tried to use better planning and smaller files to reduce the editing time, with some success.

Updating the feeds takes about fifteen minutes and is pretty simple as long as you've done it before and understand the many idiosyncrasies of XML.  I used to handle the feeds, but James took over that task sometime last year.

Writing the article usually takes me half an hour, mainly due to working with some of the HTML for the link formatting.  I try to keep good show notes to help me remember what all happened on the episode, as I usually don't listen to it until the next day after it goes public.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 05:52:57 AM »
The GOTY discussion has me intrigued. Did De Blob win best graphics? Call of Duty World at War? The underwater sections of Endless Ocean?

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 07:13:42 PM »
You should DEFINITELY do one one Links Crossbow!  You can pick up just the disc at most Gamestop's for around 5 bux.  The game is at its best when you take a shot of Jager before each round.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 07:20:36 PM »
You forgot to name something good about SFA besides amazing graphics
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 07:23:47 PM »
Did I miss the NWR GOTY feature, or is it still being worked on?
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 07:39:10 PM »
Did I miss the NWR GOTY feature, or is it still being worked on?

Still being worked on I believe.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 07:50:56 PM »
I liked the abbreviated-ness of it all. Totally unplanned like yeah... totally duh.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 07:55:32 PM »
You forgot to name something good about SFA besides amazing graphics

"Forgot" is a strong word.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 07:57:14 PM »
SFA was the definition of average to me besides the visuals. It wasn't bad but it wasn't really that good either. There wasn't really anything game breaking but on the flip nothing really memorable.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 01:16:33 AM »
SFA = Game Cube's Phantom Menace
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline nintendo1945

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 11:45:48 PM »
Yes, the only site to give Cho Aniki an award. This is an Epic win

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 04:50:07 AM »
I actually really enjoy Cho Aniki, though it is the weirdest game I've played in quite awhile.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 11:05:37 PM »
I love the offhand comments when you pick up Samson/Adon.  Instead of something like "Power Up" they make meaningless monotone comments like "Alright".
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Tybo68

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 09:43:59 PM »
Yeah I have been tempted to spend some points on cho aniki just to see what all the fuss is about but not the 800 or 900 points or whatever the amount is.
A night has a thousand saxophones so get out there and rock and roll the bones.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 01:38:08 AM »
If money means anything to you, you probably want to keep it in your pocket in this case.  But if you enjoy paying for pure Japanese cheese, have at it.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog