Author Topic: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations  (Read 197380 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations
« Reply #300 on: March 29, 2010, 11:15:26 AM »
With Ogre Battle 64 hitting the VC today (supposedly), let me be the first to officially nominate it for RetroActive.   ;D

Beat me to it. I second it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 29, 2010, 08:53:35 PM »
Allow me to be the first to vote against it.  :D

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #302 on: March 29, 2010, 09:28:16 PM »
I have a feeling that some of the staffers would hate it, so I am in favor of it for that reason alone. LOL

How about a little VC Roulette? Randomly pick 1 game from each system on Virtual Console (obviously not counting games already used for RetroActive) and putting those in the poll? So you would have 8 games (NES, SNES, N64, MS, GEN, TG16, NG, VCA).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:32:40 PM by TJ Spyke »
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #303 on: March 30, 2010, 02:45:32 AM »

I'll be the second.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 30, 2010, 04:32:25 AM »

I'll be the second.

Me three.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #305 on: March 30, 2010, 11:44:54 AM »
The handheld RA poll is coming up very soon -- PAX was a hell of a distraction, but it gave me an idea for a very cool addition to this poll.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 30, 2010, 04:11:13 PM »
Pinball of the Dead.

I do hope we can do OB64. It would give me an excuse for replaying that game yet again. Not that I'm going to need one, but it would be a nice to have so I can deflect Jon's inevitable criticisms of my recent RPG habits.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #307 on: March 30, 2010, 04:33:03 PM »
I think new criticisms would be aimed at OB64, sir. Worse, more imaginative criticisms.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #308 on: March 30, 2010, 05:00:11 PM »
I doubt the staff would want to do a handheld RPG like the Pokemon games due to their length. For the handheld on, maybe Pokemon Pinball.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #309 on: March 30, 2010, 09:05:24 PM »
Or Pokemon Trading Card Game.

... what?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 30, 2010, 10:16:43 PM »
The handheld RA poll is coming up very soon -- PAX was a hell of a distraction, but it gave me an idea for a very cool addition to this poll.

How about one of the Golden Sun games for the GBA? With the DS game coming out soon this would be a good way to inform new fans of who never played the game to actually play it so that they familiarize themselves for the next game.

Or you could do Final Fantasy Tactices Advance.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 10:19:21 PM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 30, 2010, 10:46:45 PM »

How about one of the Golden Sun games for the GBA? With the DS game coming out soon this would be a good way to inform new fans of who never played the game to actually play it so that they familiarize themselves for the next game.

Or you could do Final Fantasy Tactices Advance.

I wouldn't wish Tactics Advance on my worst enemy and I'm not terribly fond of the Golden Sun games, but I'd be ok with a Golden Sun RetroActive to hopefully get people ready for the hopefully leagues-better DS game.

I'd suggest some other DS or GBA games as well, but the vast majority of games I owned on those platforms were RPGs and the staff's already said they're tired of RPGs (though I still stick by my recommendation for OB64).  I'd suggest Metroid Zero Mission, but that's gotten a lot of talk already.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 31, 2010, 01:26:19 AM »
Or Pokémon Puzzle Challenge.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 31, 2010, 02:35:22 AM »
I have no love for the Golden Sun series and am thoroughly not interested in the new DS game either. I feel it is overrated and filled with too many cliches. Though I almost hope it wins and everyone realizes how not-good the game is. I'll even replay the first one with you since I still have it. Maybe I'll change other people's opinions against it, or maybe my opinion will change in favor of it. Who knows?
My Game Collection

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #314 on: March 31, 2010, 01:33:16 PM »
And I was just thinking. Would it be possible to -only once in a while- choose a new game coming out soon to go through together that we all agree to pick up at launch? That might be interesting.

That's a damn good idea.

Nothing new here, just wanted to expose the origins of the Newscast Game Club while I search this thread for handheld nominations.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #315 on: March 31, 2010, 01:44:01 PM »
Our dark secret revealed. I look forward to discussing Cave Story next week with Andy and Neal...and all of you forum commentators.

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 21, 2010, 06:22:04 PM »
I would like to nominate Goof Troop for the SNES. I was going through some old SNES games with my brother and we saw this one and had a good time talking about how we used to play it. It is a top down action adventure staring the Disney characters Goofy and Max. The game is mostly focused on puzzle solving with moving blocks and using items to unlock doors and get treasures. The combat usually involves throwing items at enemies. The real star of this game, however, is the co-op. Two players can play simultaneously and work together to solve puzzles and defeat enemies. This game was really fun and I have many good memories of it. Unfortunately the game isn't available for VC but I'll nominate it anyways because it is sweet.
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #317 on: April 21, 2010, 08:00:04 PM »
I loved that game when I rented it as a kid. Unfortunately I don't think it would win eve if it was nominated. Not only is it unlikely to get on the VC (unless Capcom and Disney can reach some sort of deal), and it might be hard to find a used copy.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 22, 2010, 04:55:47 AM »
I loved Goof Troop! It was one of the games my sis, dad and I played to death. My dad and I were so stumped on a final puzzle that we actually called the tip hotline because back then you couldn't look up the answer on GameFAQs.
My Game Collection

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 22, 2010, 02:27:16 PM »
I can't decide if I want to play it with my fiance or not. It could be fun, but it could also be frustrating haha.
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 23, 2010, 04:11:29 AM »
It was never overly frustrating for me to play with others. I'd give it a try.
My Game Collection

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #321 on: June 10, 2010, 01:14:22 PM »
I'd like to nominate Viewtiful Joe if it hasn't already been nominated.

Also what type of Retroactive are we having this month or in July Jonny?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 10, 2010, 03:37:04 PM »
I'll nominate Donkey Kong '94. No idea what system you want nominations for but I'll nominate it anyway.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 13, 2010, 04:54:51 PM »
Due to e3 and other schedule issues we aren't doing Retroactive for a bit.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 30, 2010, 04:24:43 AM »
Now that you've told us the next RetroActive will be on DS games, I thought I'd give some suggestions. The World Ends With You was already confirmed for the shortlist, to my chagrin, but as for the others, how about...

• Soul Bubbles (a brief but really unique and well constructed puzzle game, though I don't know if it will be easy to find)
  • Donkey Kong Jungle Climber (a more enjoyable take on the King of Swing formula)
  • Dementium: The Ward (haven't played it, but I wouldn't mind seeing how a first-person survival horror works on DS)
  • Advance Wars: Dark Conflict (not played this either, though I've heard this could be the best in the Wars franchise)
That's my tuppence.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."