Author Topic: An Open Letter to Myself  (Read 2923 times)

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
An Open Letter to Myself
« on: August 28, 2006, 09:22:07 PM »
Dear Evan:

Planet GameCube fans are concerned, Evan, and rightly so! You bitch a lot, after all, and there's only so much we can take. I don't remember the last time you posted something positive on the site or the forums. Do you like to spread pain around? Your last editorial, quite pompously titled "An Open Letter to Nintendo," is the last effing straw. Let's review the major points.

One, you hate everything.

I mean, TPWii, Elebits, Red Steel, Project H.A.M.M.E.R., do you even like Nintendo? Go find a dry tree and hump it.

Two, you're pretentious.

Who uses words like obfuscate and concatenation? Do you read the dictionary while you're at home anticipating articles that you can write them into? Pathetic. Oh, and you write like people care what you say. Screw off.

I've read your blog Evan (MySpace, ugh). It's not that good. You're a little more positive and you only talk about movies, but I can't even tell what you're saying! For example:

"A film is therefore a divided work where each part functions independently of the others - synthesis and artistry don't play into the overall quality."

Like, WTF? Are you even talking about movies? Cause I talk about movies all the time and I've never said a sentence like that, like ever.

Three, you don't own PGC.

You've only been here for eight months and you only got hired because you're an old friend of Jonny's, so why parade around like you own the place? And now you talk pretentiously for a half hour and hope that people will come to PGC and download the recording! Dammit man, get a life.

Four, an open letter to Nintendo? For real?

Five, like seriously, I mean, is Nintendo going to read it? Ahahahahahah.

Six, no really, THAT'S FUNNY.

I'm sympathetic to you, Evan. I know your pain (after all, I'm you). I know how hard it is to believe that you have an important voice or something to say and you want to share it. It was foolish to think that you actually spoke for a group of people, especially PGC people, and that what you had to say was valuable and that anyone shared your opinion. It was dumb to write yet another negative article and then throw your arms open waiting for everyone to hug you.

But I guess the real reason I'm sympathetic with you, Evan, is that I agree with you. I just wish you hadn't written that stupid article. So I'm angry at you, just as angry as everyone else. It's too late to take it down and now your idiocy is on display to the world. So if you shrivel and die in that shoebox apartment of yours, that's fine by everyone, but not with me because I was pretty sure that we had a good understanding between each other. So don't die, just, eh, I dunno, apologize? I know that's a bit out of your range of behavior, but if you get the gumption it may work to your advantage. And don't go apologizing some backwards way, like through a fake open letter to yourself that you post only in the Funhouse. Only a douche bag would do that.

With Love, your Fan, Friend, and Lover
Evan T. Burchfield

Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
RE: An Open Letter to Myself
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 09:48:48 PM »
An open letter to Svevan:

Your self abuse is making me feel guilty about bumping the 'bitch-day' thread.

I don't think you should necessarily take Nintendo fans jumping at your throat for suggesting Nintendo do something different as a sign that you shouldn't have written the article. They are, after all Nintendo fans. That's what they do.

With love,
Wandering
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 09:51:32 PM »
Former Nintendo Fans Unite!

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 10:06:33 PM »
Catharsis, not self abuse. I secretly heart you, Wandering.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 04:45:42 AM »
I don't mean to come at you Evan... all I'm trying to say is that I don't agree.  I just want the record to show that.  =P
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 04:55:37 AM »
Pale and Evan need to go head to head on a podcast.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 05:59:09 AM »
LOL yeah...if you want to write editorials, the fans will complain - especially if they say anything negative.  Imagine how many flames that chick who edits PSM got when she wrote that she is going to buy an Xbox 360 instead of a PS3 this Christmas...but the point is, she was telling the truth, and as not-Sony-fanboys, we can see that she had a point (a very good point, in fact), but of course people don't want to hear the truth - or even just a decent argument - when it's negative.

I like marshmallows.

That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 06:37:11 AM »
Right.  There is a difference between disagreeing with someone and saying they don't have a valid point.

I'll admit that having the Cube controls in the Wii game would be nice so that I can reaffirm in my mind that I like the Wii controls better.  It's just the farthest thing away from making me not want the Wii version.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 08:05:23 AM »
dear everyone

TP is a trainwreck, accept it and move on

love

me

seriously the best editorials are always the negative ones, Nintendo fans ironically need some damn perspective. I say ironically because after the company has had its big ups and downs, I seriously was expecting a more conservative and non-fanboyish aproach to the recent positive change of buzz, not the "LOL SONY" that Ive seen.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 08:48:34 AM »
LOL Sony!

I'm trying really hard to be conservative, and I don't even want Sony to fail that badly, but still, LOL. Sony just can't get it together.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
RE:An Open Letter to Myself
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 10:43:32 AM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
dear everyone

my post is a train wreck, accept it and move on

love

me
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 11:34:52 AM »
"seriously the best editorials are always the negative ones, Nintendo fans ironically need some damn perspective."

My perspective is "have fun."  Having fun means no ranting...Videogames aren't your life, it's a bloody hobby!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 02:58:56 PM »
sorry but rantings are fun, you are crazy.

actually is no longer a big deal to me, but writing blocks of text about it makes me feel more intellectual

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
RE:An Open Letter to Myself
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 07:38:54 PM »
Man, I'm so sick of these Twilight Princess discussions. All of this was talked about like a year ago and it's just been repeated ever since. I know because I joined this forum at that time and made a post about the negatives of adding Wii functionality to the game. I was so innocent back then.

Anyways, I know this is the funhouse but I'm going to break the rules for a moment and just say something I realized everytime I come to Planet Gamecube and see the title: There is no Definitive Zelda.

Yeah, that's the point. Nintendo is never going to say which one is the definitive Zelda and they never will until years later when they talk about the best games of their past. And even then, they'll probably lump the two together.

And do you know why?

Because saying one is better than the other will hurt sales. If they said Wii Zelda is the definitive one, then why make the Gamecube game? Just to honor a promise? What's the point? It's clearly inferior. Plus, it would hurt sales of the Gamecube Zeldas.

Oh, but the Gamecube game is the definitive one. Then why bother to make a Wii version? Wii is backwards compatible, just pick up the Gamecube game. Plus, it would just make people whine more about delaying the game to make a Wii version when the other is the definitve. Plus, if Gamecube controls are used for the definitive Zelda, then that's a hit to the Wii control scheme. Plus, it might hurt Wii Zelda sales.

Oh, and if they but Gamecube controls in the Wii version, it would cripple the sales of the Gamecube game. Why buy it when you can get everything in one neater and shinier package. The controls must always be seperate.

And there you have it. Mystery solved. Buy the game for the control scheme you want to play. In the end, it's the same dang story and adventure. Each game just has feature unique to it's console's capabilities. And if your so worried about which control scheme is better, then rent, read, review or wait a year because both will go Player's choice and be available for less money.

Ta-da.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.