Author Topic: Episode 248: Perfect Agent Greganna  (Read 4572 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Episode 248: Perfect Agent Greganna
« on: June 26, 2011, 09:24:14 AM »

It's finally time to discuss Perfect Dark's campaign mode, and that means a dramatic reading is in order.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/26965/episode-248-perfect-agent-greganna

We start this episode without Jon, but don't worry, he comes in a bit later! Greg and James tag up on the newly released Ocarina of Time 3D, discussing the graphical upgrades, the freshness factor, and their thoughts on the value proposition of this remake. James also revisits Luigi's Mansion in his own manic way. Jonny finally gets around to Ridge Racer 3D, plus the deceptively awesome Donkey Kong '94 from 3DS Virtual Console.

After a quick break, Jon jumps into the action with a very special duet with Greg. That opens the door on our RetroActive conclusion. That's right, we finally wrap up Perfect Dark with a good, long analysis of the campaign, its problems, and its surprising influence on later games. Thanks to everyone who participated! We'll be back next week with your Listener Mail before launching into the big 250!

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 248: Perfect Agent Greganna
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 04:22:52 AM »
I had no idea that Donkey Kong on the Game Boy was like this. You've convinced me to buy it. If it really is a precursor to Mario vs DK, it'll be interesting to draw the comparison because I just picked up the latest in the DS series, Mini-Land Mayhem.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline adadad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 07:39:47 AM »
Ha ha, that was a great rendition of PD's voice acting. Like Greg's friend I wasn't really sure Carrington was supposed to be Scottish at first, but now I think it's actually probably supposed to be a direct impression of Sean Connery. That's not an excuse for its awfulness though!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 08:37:22 AM »
Jonny, the song you was talking about with the Nintendo 64 reference is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PTDv_szmL0

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 10:53:11 AM »
Luigi's Mansion is so underrated. I still don't understand all the hate it gets.

The game IS pretty short, though. I was able to finish it in one sitting with all the boos in about 4 hours, similar to James.

A good way to get more out of the game is to try to get the A rank mansion at the end. Finding money ghosts, golden mice, hidden treasure rooms, watering plants, etc. are things that you could have completely missed on a regular run. Some people might think it's a chore to try to interact with practically everything in the mansion, but I saw it more as an opportunity for exploration. Just take it slow and easy and it becomes much more enjoyable.

Also, for people who like an extra challenge, you get different frames for the portrait ghosts in E. Gadd's lab depending on how well you do while catching them. For regular portrait ghosts, you have to drain all their health in a single try. For bosses, you have to beat them without losing any health (or at least finish the battle with full health). It's a lot harder than it sounds! The reward may seem kind of superfluous, but really the challenge should be its own reward.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 10:57:04 AM »
I always wanted to pick up Luigi Mansion.  Seen it a lot but like Pikmin it just never happened.

Hey, Where is the Perfect Dark Script Links?

I like a link to that Doom Comic referenced.  I couldn't find it on the Interwebz.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 11:49:26 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 01:14:46 PM »
DK '94 had the moves detailed in the manual, back then games didn't teach you that stuff ingame. If you wait a little on the title screen you'll see a demonstration of all the moves Mario has. BTW, the handstand jump goes 4 blocks high if you jump immediately as you touch the ground (both when going into the handstand and when landing from the jump out of the handstand), if you don't jump immediately you'll only go 3 high from the handstand.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 03:51:18 PM »
I'm Sorry Dr.Metts
This is in loo of trying to make a custom one for the episode.

Oh and Cars 2 is Perfect Dark.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 01:55:27 AM »
COWER IN FEAR OF THE PERFECT DARK SCRIPT

http://www.angelfire.com/emo/kudrun/dialogue.html
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 02:35:19 AM »
Crimm never gets a person on the phone when calling Nintendo. Sounds like Nintendo has caller ID.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 07:21:10 AM »
They'll send him a box of shoes next.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 09:22:40 AM »
You know just have UncleBob call them.  By know he probably knows some of them personally.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 12:33:47 PM »
Say what you want about the voice acting, at least Joanna is British unlike PD0's American teenager, nor did the story line get M. Night'ed like PD0. Seriously, compare PD and PD0, PD is way better. Especially Carrington, watch this till actual gameplay.

On the other hand, a great opening to the retroactive. Had me giggling especially since it had me fooled until he said "Hurry". Half of each of Jo's lines were a pretty close match when it came to general cadence while Carrington's lines were a complete wash of repressed giggling before entering WTF territory. It might have been better if he had done a Sean Connery although that wasn't the objective of the exercise.

It was a great retroactive, but was not long enough to cover such a large game.

Luigi Mansion is a little underrated, but it's length screamed "Tech Demo" considering I blew through it on launch day in Japan in Japanese after I went to bed from the morning launch. I then blew through it on Game  trying to figure out whats new only to find the only thing different is a stronger vacuum that makes a laughably easy game even easier.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 01:28:36 PM »
Greg doing an impression of Joanna Dark was the worst he has ever sounded.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 08:14:05 PM »
Just wanted to chime in and say: another thoroughly enjoyable episode!

Sadly, I've never played the DK game in question, nor Perfect Dark even though we own the N64 game!
... I'll get around to it eventually.  Sounds fun! I looooove me some stealth!

Oh, and even  having never heard the game's voice acting, that bit with the impressions was hilarious =P

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 11:57:53 PM »
I really want to play that DK game;  I'm slowly but surely saving my way towards a 3DS purchase.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline roykoopa64

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 12:31:05 PM »
I loved the Perfect Dark re-enactments!  ;D

Man, it makes me want to play the game again (if I only had the time)!
Fanático de Nintendo desde 1985

My Miiverse profile

Offline motang

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 09:40:45 AM »
Ah it would be so cool if Nintendo bought the Perfect Dark license from MS, and gave that to Retro to make a new game. Because we all know Rare is just a empty shell making kanict games nowadays.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 12:09:52 PM »
Great podcast, the perfect dark stuff was pretty accurate, but i didnt hear you guys mentioned the amazing sound track and how it adds to the intensity of the game.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 07:28:49 PM »
I had had no interest in Perfect Dark before (wasn't into FPS's during the N64 era, and it was outdated by the time I got into them with TimeSplitters 2), but after the discussions on it on the podcasts, I am seriously thinking of buying the Xbox Live Arcade version. I hate when a FPS doesn't include bots, it should be mandatory for any game that is multiplayer since not all of us will have a situation where we can play with others (or with FPS, some way we can practice the mode so we don't get slaughtered by the insane people who play it 8 hours a day every day online).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20